PDA

View Full Version : Dio or Ozzy? A Poll

brutal_descent
08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I think there are more Dio fans on here than Ozzy fans, but we'll see.

:blaze:

EDIT: we're talking 'bout Sabbath, no solo careers.

jd091
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Absolutely no contest here; Dio any day. ;)

brutal_descent
08-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I love Master of Reality more than anything Dio ever did.

None of my favorite doom/sludge/stoner bands would exist if it wasn't for this album, arguably.

powerslave_85
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
In Black Sabbath or just in general? If we're talking about Sabbath, then Ozzy. Otherwise: Dio.

brutal_descent
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
In Black Sabbath or just in general? If we're talking about Sabbath, then Ozzy. Otherwise: Dio.

Sabbath. Should have made that clear -headdesk-

jd091
08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Sabbath. Should have made that clear -headdesk-

Oh. If it's Black Sabbath vs. Dio, then sabbath. But in terms of frontman and showmanship, Dio any day.

brutal_descent
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Oh. If it's Black Sabbath vs. Dio, then sabbath. But in terms of frontman and showmanship, Dio any day.

FUUUU

Black Sabbath w/ Dio vs Black Sabbath w/ Ozzy

:bouville:

PowerMaiden
08-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I like better Ronnie than Ozzy for their solo careers but as far as their work with Black Sabbath there's no contest for me.

Ozzy
Tony
Geezer
Bill

is the real Black Sabbath for me

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

makethemsuffer12
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Dio Sabbath all the way.

jd091
08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
FUUUU

Black Sabbath w/ Dio vs Black Sabbath w/ Ozzy

:bouville:

OOOOOH. Ozzy Sabbath, obviously. I was so confused.

ravenheart
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
The Internet is bored of this debate.

brutal_descent
08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
The Internet is bored of this debate.

Shut up, I'm bored. :tp:

Solarian13
08-03-2011, 03:10 PM
While Dio was a far better frontman and vocalist than Ozzy, I much prefer Ozzy-era Black Sabbath personally.

larvtard
08-03-2011, 03:11 PM
yeah, as far as Sabbath goes, I'd have to say Ozzy.

ravenheart
08-03-2011, 03:22 PM
If Dio had been able to make eight albums with Sabbath, this wouldn't be a contest.

JRA
08-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Here's the thing folks, while Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules are very good albums, there's a hard truth you all need to realize:

They're Rainbow albums.

Everyone talks about what a nice and humble guy Dio is, but he pretty much turned Black Sabbath into a band about him rather than a team effort. Hell that's pretty much why Bill Ward left during the tour.

I've always wondered why they didn't just change the name of the band, but the record company wanted another album from them. Couldn't they have just put out a double live album from the Ozzy days, broken up the band and started reformed with Dio under a new name?

Again, the Dio Sabbath albums are very good, and they are a much prefered alternative to what would have happened if the band decided to stick with Ozzy (for both parties might I add), but they are not Black Sabbath albums*, they're Dio albums. Of course Dio didn't have a solo career yet, so it's best to just say they were Rainbow albums with Tony Iommi writing the riffs.

*Dehumanizer not withstanding.

If Dio had been able to make eight albums with Sabbath, this wouldn't be a contest.

If Dio had been able to make eight albums with Sabbath, they would have gotten stale very fucking quickly. Especially when you consider that he's more or less been writing Holy Diver his entire career. Shit the Ozzy line up got stale after 7 albums.

powerslave_85
08-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Again, the Dio Sabbath albums are very good...but they are not Black Sabbath albumsMy feelings exactly.

Dextrimental
08-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Oz man for me, Dio has a lot more history to his work, but Ozzy excites me more.

Dio is an artist whose full catalog I am still making my way through, Ozzy's I am very familiar with, but from a Sabbath point of view, I have got to agree that Sabbath with Dio was essentially Rainbow 2.0. Are they good records? Yes. Are they Sabbath records? Debatable, but I'd go with no.

Just my two cents.

JRA
08-03-2011, 04:57 PM
You know, even in terms of solo careers, Dio does not blow Ozzy out of the water like everyone thinks he does. As a singer, sure. But as a songwriter? Dio may play an instrument, and he may write his own music, but this really doesn't amount to much when Dio's been writing the same shit his entire career.

And I know all you fanboys want to come screaming in with his stuff from the 90's, well guess what? For all their goofy ass arguments about how Walk Away alone was better than the first three Sabbath albums, Dio's idiotic fanbase was still never able to convince the movers and the shakers of metal that the 90's albums were any good. You will never ever see Strange Highways on a list of great metal albums from the 90's. Even if you take off the bullshit fluff that plagues those lists like Faith No More, Nine Inch Nails, Helmet and Korn, you'd still have about 15, if not 50 other contenders from any sub-genre able to take those spots.

As for Ozzy? True, the only thing he's ever actually written are the vocal melodies for his songs, but he still has final say on what goes on his album and what doesn't. We all know how he unceremoniously dumped Zakk Wylde because his playing had become a caricature of itself, and even back when Zakk first rehearsed with his band in the 80's Ozzy gave him shit for sounding too much like Jimi Hendrix. There's also a very strong rumor that between Bark At The Moon and Ultimate Sin, Ozzy had a full album worth of material that he scrapped because he didn't think it was very good.

The solo career race is way closer than people think. Just because Ozzy alienated fans by bumbling around his house doesn't suddenly make Dio's subpar work relevant.

mankvill
08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Man as much as I love Dio, I just think the first four Sabbath albums are unfuckwithable.

I'd rank them like

1. Master of Reality
2. Heaven And Hell
3. Black Sabbath
4. Paranoid
5. Mob Rules
6. Volume 4

and then the rest are like whatever.

Dio solo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ozzy solo, though

Butcher of Birth
08-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Ozzy Sabbath everyday of the week. You can use all your fingers and toes naming the great songs of the Ozzy years, not the same for Dio.

evildeadjedi
08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
You will never ever see Strange Highways on a list of great metal albums from the 90's. Even if you take off the bullshit fluff that plagues those lists like Faith No More, Nine Inch Nails, Helmet and Korn, you'd still have about 15, if not 50 other contenders from any sub-genre able to take those spots.

Woah woah wait a minute Faith No More is not bullshit fluff! :flame:

Ozzy definitely

rjturtle9
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
I vote Dio. I'd rather listen to his Sabbath records then any other Sabbath era record any day!

makethemsuffer12
08-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Ozzy Sabbath everyday of the week. You can use all your fingers and toes naming the great songs of the Ozzy years, not the same for Dio.

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/u/6/u6fctdzg9j59zd9f.jpg
FOOL FOOL!

Keep in mind also that they had twice as many albums with Ozzy.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
I vote Dio. I'd rather listen to his Sabbath records then any other Sabbath era record any day!

This.

Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are both some of the best metal music ever recorded.

hellawaits77ny
08-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I prefer Ozzy-era Sabbath

Butcher of Birth
08-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Keep in mind also that they had twice as many albums with Ozzy.

Maybe because it worked better with Ozzy? Maybe because more fans liked it? Maybe it was just better as a whole? The albums of the 70's stand the test of time, were it not for "Heaven and Hell," we would not be talking about Dio Sabbath as much as we are today.

Black Sabbath is forever the four boys from Birmingham.

adamclark52
08-04-2011, 12:10 AM
I respect Dio a lot more than I do Ozzy, but there was so much classic music during the Ozzy era of Sabbath that I can't vote for anyone else. Ozzy.

ravenheart
08-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Maybe because it worked better with Ozzy? Maybe because more fans liked it? Maybe it was just better as a whole?

Or, to be more accurate, none of those things. There are twice as many albums with Ozzy than with Ronnie because internal issues forced the band apart in '82 which they later all regretted and realised should never have happened. Most of the reason they split was because Ronnie, and the rest of the band, were each being lied to by one of the engineers working on the 'Live Evil' album.

Ronnie left again in '92 because Ozzy had done nothing but bad-mouth him in the press when he was in Sabbath, and then the rest of the guys wanted to open for Ozzy on his farewell tour and Ronnie refused.

Sanitarium78
08-04-2011, 05:03 AM
Since we're talking about Sabbath I voted Ozzy.

If we were talking the overall body of work I would go with Dio. Both had very good solo careers but i'd give the edge to Ronnie there as well.

ravenheart
08-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I think you either have to compare overall body of work for both guys, or compare 'Black Sabbath', 'Paranoid', 'Master of Reality' and 'Volume 4' to 'Heaven & Hell', 'Mob Rules', 'Dehumanizer' and 'The Devil You Know'.

Comparing 8 Ozzy albums to 4 Dio ones is always going to come out in Ozzy's favour because the comparison is uneven.

Unless you also compare 'Live At Last', 'Reunion' and 'Past Lives' with 'Live Evil', 'Live From Radio City Music Hall' and 'Neon Nights: Live In Europe'... because Dio wins that one hands down.

IrritatedTrout
08-04-2011, 05:32 AM
I prefer Ozzy Sabbath but Dio solo.

ChildrenofSodom
08-04-2011, 06:19 AM
I've truthfully only listened to Paranoid from Ozzy. Growing up post-MTV show, I really don't care about Ozzy Osbourne and I've never given his Sabbath or solo stuff a fair shot. Have no desire to start. I love Dio Sabbath, solo, Rainbow, whatever, though.

Epidemic Reign
08-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Bruce Dickinson.

ravenheart
08-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Bruce Dickinson.

A noble attempt to highjack the debate, but as this is about who was best fronting Sabbath, and Dickinson never fronted Sabbath, it falls a little short.

Now if you'd said Tony Martin (which is actually the correct answer, in case anyone was wondering), you'd have been on to a winner.

Maiden33
A noble attempt to highjack the debate, but as this is about who was best fronting Sabbath, and Dickinson never fronted Sabbath, it falls a little short.

Now if you'd said Tony Martin (which is actually the correct answer, in case anyone was wondering), you'd have been on to a winner.

...Dammit, I was thinking about doing that yesterday. :bouville:

ravenheart
I've truthfully only listened to Paranoid from Ozzy. Growing up post-MTV show, I really don't care about Ozzy Osbourne and I've never given his Sabbath or solo stuff a fair shot. Have no desire to start. I love Dio Sabbath, solo, Rainbow, whatever, though.

Paranoid the album, or Paranoid the song. If it's just Paranoid the song then you should be shot in the face with a harpoon gun. No joke :mad:

Natrlhi
08-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Paranoid the album, or Paranoid the song. If it's just Paranoid the song then you should be shot in the face with a harpoon gun. No joke :mad:"Paranoid" used to be my player name back when we used to go play Photon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon:_The_Ultimate_Game_on_Planet_Earth) every weekend.

ravenheart
08-04-2011, 07:16 AM
"Paranoid" used to be my player name back when we used to go play Photon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon:_The_Ultimate_Game_on_Planet_Earth) every weekend.

Loser ;)

jd091
08-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Paranoid the album, or Paranoid the song. If it's just Paranoid the song then you should be shot in the face with a harpoon gun. No joke :mad:

I approve of this statement. Probably the shittiest song Sabbath has done.

larvtard
08-04-2011, 07:38 AM

HOW...DARE...YOU....

:eek::eek:

Natrlhi
08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Loser ;):lol: I think I was about thirteen or fourteen at the time, and trust me, it was a very cool thing to do back then. We listened to heavy metal, played video games (they had some of the coolest games at the Photon place, as I remember), ate junk food and shot at each other with electronic guns. What else could an early teenager want?

larvtard
08-04-2011, 07:49 AM
What else could an early teenager want?

pussy

jd091
08-04-2011, 07:50 AM
HOW...DARE...YOU....

:eek::eek:

Come on, even Iommi said that he hates that song and doesn't see why people enjoy it. Their other stuff is just so incredible; I'd rather not waste my time on that song.

jd091
08-04-2011, 07:52 AM
:lol: I think I was about thirteen or fourteen at the time, and trust me, it was a very cool thing to do back then. We listened to heavy metal, played video games (they had some of the coolest games at the Photon place, as I remember), ate junk food and shot at each other with electronic guns. What else could an early teenager want?

I don't know what this "Photon" is, but I do know Laser Quest. Greatest thing ever.

King Slender
08-04-2011, 07:54 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say shittiest, but certainly the most overplayed. I'd be fine with never hearing it again.

jd091
08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say shittiest, but certainly the most overplayed. I'd be fine with never hearing it again.

This is actually more how I feel. I talk in over-generalizations. ;)

Natrlhi
08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
pussy:lol: Yeah, for sure. Once I started getting that, Photon was history.

Come on, even Iommi said that he hates that song and doesn't see why people enjoy it. Their other stuff is just so incredible; I'd rather not waste my time on that song.>Trolling
>Ignant

Pick one

I don't know what this "Photon" is...Click on the link in my original post.

ChildrenofSodom
08-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Paranoid the album, silly.

jd091
08-04-2011, 07:59 AM
>Trolling
>Ignant

Pick one

I might be a young whippersnap, but it doesn't mean my opinion isn't valid! ;)

Natrlhi
08-04-2011, 08:01 AM
I might be a young whippersnap, but it doesn't mean my opinion isn't valid! ;)Actually, that's exactly what it means. ;)

ravenheart
08-04-2011, 08:20 AM
>Trolling
>Ignant

I recommend going for the one that isn't a made-up internet word. Oh, wait, they both are ;)

Paranoid the song does suck though. Doesn't come close to nearly every else they recorded with Ozzy. It's a simple, boring piece of filler. In fact, that was all it was ever intended to be, until the label picked it as the single. There are only about three songs from all eight albums I like less than Paranoid.

JRA
08-04-2011, 08:28 AM
The song "Paranoid" is aight. I wouldn't call it the worst.

ravenheart
08-04-2011, 08:33 AM
The song "Paranoid" is aight. I wouldn't call it the worst.

'FX' has to be the worst. Unless we don't count instrumentals, in which case I'd probably go for 'Who Are You'.

I also dislike 'Planet Caravan' (that's right) and 'Am I Going Insane (Radio)', and find most of 'Technical Ecstacy' and 'Volume 4' to be pretty unmemorable, although that might be due to the fact that those were the last two I bought, and have therefore had the least listening time of the eight.

JRA
08-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Planet Caravan is ok. I'd rather hear Paranoid than it though. I agree on Am I Going Insane though. That song has not aged well.

ChildrenofSodom
08-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I guess I'm missing out on Ozzy Sabbath because I like Paranoid and Planet Caravan, and I can't stand Iron Man.

ravenheart
08-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I guess I'm missing out on Ozzy Sabbath because I like Paranoid and Planet Caravan, and I can't stand Iron Man.

Iron Man really isn't the greatest either...

Ozzy Sabbath is all about (not in any kind of order):

Into The Void
Tomorrow's Dream
Hole In The Sky
Children of The Grave
Symptom of The Universe
Johnny Blade
Dirty Women
The Warning
Wicked World
The Wizard
Sweet Leaf
Junior's Eyes
Sabbra Cadabra
N.I.B.
After Forever
Supernaut
The Writ
Lord of This World
Fairies Wear Boots
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
A National Acrobat
Spiral Architect
Megalomania
Snowblind
Shock Wave

... that's probably the real cream of the crop. Although I do enjoy Psycho Man and Selling My Soul rather a lot too...

jhdeity
08-04-2011, 02:10 PM
'FX' has to be the worst. Unless we don't count instrumentals, in which case I'd probably go for 'Who Are You'.

I also dislike 'Planet Caravan' (that's right) and 'Am I Going Insane (Radio)', and find most of 'Technical Ecstacy' and 'Volume 4' to be pretty unmemorable, although that might be due to the fact that those were the last two I bought, and have therefore had the least listening time of the eight.

Vol 4 is derfinitely an acquired taste but once it sinks in it has some absolute materpieces on it. Under the Sun has become one of my all time favorite Sabbath songs.

As good as Paranoid is, it's so played out that if I had my choice I'd pick Vol 4 to listen to over Paranoid 9 out of 10 times.

JRA
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Junior's Eyes. What a shitty shitty song. and Volume 4 would be Sabbath's best album if they kept all the non-metal shit off of it.

El Gordo
08-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Even though it's not really a fair fight, Ozzy Sabbath beats Dio Sabbath fairly easily if for no other reason than the fact that Ozzy Sabbath is the heavy metal equivalent of the invention of the fucking wheel. I love Dio Sabbath, Heaven & Hell is one of my favourite records of all time, and Dehumanizer blew my mind the first time I heard it. It doesn't change the fact that the first 6 Sabbath albums are, as Manky so eloquently put it, unfuckwithable -- the next 2 are utter and complete shit, but whatever.

As for Dio Sabbath being Rainbow II... uh, fuck that. A quick listen to a few tracks by either band with Dio on vocals reveals that the only real similarity is that well, Dio is on vocals. The Dio Sabbath albums are much more aggressive and heavy than the Dio Rainbow albums. It's basically the difference between Iommi and Blackmore -- Iommi can't help but play like a fucking bulldozer while Blackmore has a much softer touch, sure he lays down some heavy material but nothing as purely metal as Neon Knights or Die Young.

Nick_to_the_face
08-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Kinda off topic..I found that Master of Reality is my favorite Sabbath album by far.

JRA
08-04-2011, 06:59 PM
As for Dio Sabbath being Rainbow II... uh, fuck that. A quick listen to a few tracks by either band with Dio on vocals reveals that the only real similarity is that well, Dio is on vocals. The Dio Sabbath albums are much more aggressive and heavy than the Dio Rainbow albums. It's basically the difference between Iommi and Blackmore -- Iommi can't help but play like a fucking bulldozer while Blackmore has a much softer touch, sure he lays down some heavy material but nothing as purely metal as Neon Knights or Die Young.

Except for the fact that Sabbath was not dark, doomy or gloomy anymore.

Rainbow never laid down anything purely metal? Someone clearly hasn't heard Kill The King or Stargazer.

SomewhereInTime72
08-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Wonder how this thread went on so long after it was completed so clearly on the first page. ;)

makethemsuffer12
08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
I honestly thought a lot more people would side with Dio. Oh well. In the end it's just personal preference, considering the two eras sound so radically different anyway.

daimonos
08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Junior's Eyes. What a shitty shitty song.

I agree with 100% of everything you've said in this thread except for this.

I'd say it would go something like this for me:

1. Master of Reality
2. Vol. 4
3. Black Sabbath
4. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
5. Paranoid
6. Sabotage
7. Never Say Die!
8. Mob Rules
9. Heaven and Hell
10. Technical Ecstasy

That being said, Ozzy Sabbath (ahem, THE Sabbath) > Dio Sabbath (although I love Dio Sabbath)

I still need to get into more Hughes/Martin Sabbath.

ravenheart
08-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Junior's Eyes. What a shitty shitty song.

Desperately incorrect.

Sanitarium78
08-05-2011, 05:47 AM
I still need to get into more Hughes/Martin Sabbath.

Tony Martin? Hell yes:rocker: The album with Hughes? Fuck No!!

ravenheart
08-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Tony Martin? Hell yes:rocker: The album with Hughes? Fuck No!!

Seventh Star is an excellent album. It's not very "Sabbath", but then it wasn't supposed to be a Sabbath album in the first place. Anyone who likes Glenn's voice really should be listening to that disc.

Sanitarium78
08-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Seventh Star is an excellent album. It's not very "Sabbath", but then it wasn't supposed to be a Sabbath album in the first place.

That's why I don't care for it. If it wasn't supposed to be a Sabbath album then it shouldn't have been released that way or at all. Both SS and BA being released under the Sabbath name is a disgrace.

That's why I don't get why people are getting all over the Dio era about it not being Sabbath, yet make no mention of BA and SS which were way more non-Sabbath than anything they did with Dio.

I stand by Sabbath/Iommi through most things but Tony really should've taken time off after Dio left and not rushed back with the failed ventures of Gillian and Huhes as vocalists. I think the Martin era would've been more accepted by fans if Sabbath's name hadn't been so tarnished from 83-86 because at least with Martin they got back to being dark again and back to being Black Sabbath.

daimonos
08-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Everything after Born Again, with the exception of Dehumanizer (I think), weren't supposed to be Black Sabbath albums. Geezer and Tony have said it. Record Labels forced them to use the name so they could attempt at making money, and apparently everytime there was a new incarnation of the band, the band didn't want to call it Sabbath. The name "Black Sabbath" from 1986 to 1995 was just a curse that stuck with Tony Iommi for all those years. The way I see it, the stuff with Glenn Hughes and Tony Martin wasn't supposed to be Sabbath, so therefore it isn't Sabbath.

mastodon421
08-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Ozzy for sure.

Sanitarium78
08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Everything after Born Again, with the exception of Dehumanizer (I think), weren't supposed to be Black Sabbath albums. Geezer and Tony have said it. Record Labels forced them to use the name so they could attempt at making money, and apparently everytime there was a new incarnation of the band, the band didn't want to call it Sabbath. The name "Black Sabbath" from 1986 to 1995 was just a curse that stuck with Tony Iommi for all those years. The way I see it, the stuff with Glenn Hughes and Tony Martin wasn't supposed to be Sabbath, so therefore it isn't Sabbath.

I know Seventh Star wasn't suppose to be a Sabbath album but I never heard that about the Martin era before. Maybe more people would've cared if the Martin stuff was released as Iommi solo albums. It also didn't help that they were on a record label that didn't promote them at all. But then what would have been the point since 95 percent of the fans were gone by the time Headless Cross came out anyways.

Christen
08-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I gotta go with Ozzy Sabbath, but I love both of them.

El Gordo
08-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Except for the fact that Sabbath was not dark, doomy or gloomy anymore.

Rainbow never laid down anything purely metal? Someone clearly hasn't heard Kill The King or Stargazer.

I never said that Sabbath continued to be a doom band. I also never said Rainbow weren't metal. But listen to Kill the King, then listen to Die Young. Die Young is heavier, and it also sounds like two different bands.

JRA
08-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Die Young is heavier, and it also sounds like two different bands.

Not really.

ravenheart
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
That's why I don't care for it. If it wasn't supposed to be a Sabbath album then it shouldn't have been released that way or at all. Both SS and BA being released under the Sabbath name is a disgrace.

Both Born Again and Seventh Star are good albums. The fact that they don't sound like previous Sabbath material is basically irrelevant. Good is good.

And regardless of intention, everything with Black Sabbath on the front cover is a Black Sabbath album. "Not considering it Sabbath" is basically elitist bullshit. The fact that all these things under the Sabbath name sound so different and yet are all so good is a great, great thing.

daimonos
08-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Just downloaded all the Sabbath albums I don't know, so I'm gonna check 'em all out, and we'll see how I like them.

These albums are...
Seventh Star
The Eternal Idol
Headless Cross
Dehumanizer
Cross Purposes

El Gordo
08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Not really.

Then maybe it's you who hasn't heard Kill the King... or Die Young. :P

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Both Born Again and Seventh Star are good albums. The fact that they don't sound like previous Sabbath material is basically irrelevant. Good is good.

And regardless of intention, everything with Black Sabbath on the front cover is a Black Sabbath album. "Not considering it Sabbath" is basically elitist bullshit. The fact that all these things under the Sabbath name sound so different and yet are all so good is a great, great thing.

Agree with all of this. I love Seventh Star. Saw that tour. 7th row. Got an Iommi guitar pick.

es156
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Agree with all of this. I love Seventh Star. Saw that tour. 7th row. Got an Iommi guitar pick.

I also love Seventh Star, so I must :bowdown:

JRA
01-14-2012, 06:20 PM
I really tried to get into Tony Martin Sabbath. I'll admit, Headless Cross and When Death Calls are the fucking jams, but everything else, horrendous generic 80's rock.

I'll say this for him, when it came to singing the other Sabbath songs, he smoked Dio on his own shit, and handles the Ozzy stuff better than Dio ever did.

Children of The Sea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LK_5DU5L4)

Die Young (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMh6ZlkSdEg)

Heaven & Hell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrnI8lalzY)

Black Sabbath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLoasK-uahE)

elturtleboy
01-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I use to say Dio, but now its too tough. Meh ill pick Seth Putnam

MetalIsArt
01-16-2012, 04:47 AM
All Sabbath line-ups have great songs.

I won't vote in this poll.

rjturtle9
01-16-2012, 06:58 AM
I use to say Dio, but now its too tough. Meh ill pick Seth Putnam

:lol:

BlackDiamond
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Comparing Sabbath with Ozzy and Dio is like comparing Van Halen with Roth and Hagar. Both versions of the band are great but in essence they are two completely different bands. When Dio joined the band a lot of the Doom elements that Sabbath were known for went away but what we got in return was just as good but very different. As much as I love the Dio era of Sabbath the Ozzy era is the one that I hold dear to my heart.

MetalIsArt
01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Comparing Sabbath with Ozzy and Dio is like comparing Van Halen with Roth and Hagar. Both versions of the band are great but in essence they are two completely different bands. When Dio joined the band a lot of the Doom elements that Sabbath were known for went away but what we got in return was just as good but very different. As much as I love the Dio era of Sabbath the Ozzy era is the one that I hold dear to my heart.

I do hope you realise that Tony Iommi is Sabbath?

People should stop seeing them as Ozzy's backing band.

BlackDiamond
01-26-2012, 09:05 AM

I completely agree there is no Sabbath without Iommi. Iommi is one of my favorite guitar players of all time but you have to admit though that the music evolved once Dio came on board, as with when Gillan join and Tony Martin. Even when Ozzy was around the music was evolving from album to album but for me personally I like the Ozzy era the most.

JRA
01-26-2012, 09:19 AM

Now there's a fucking retarded statement. It's not just because of Ozzy that that period of Sabbath is held in high regard, it's because of what all members of the band contributed. When Dio stepped in it became more about Dio and Tony. That's one of the reasons why Bill left.