PDA

View Full Version : Metallica 30 Year Celebration

mankvill
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
http://www.metallica.com/news/jul-27-2011-thirty-years.asp

"We've heard you loud and clear and are beyond psyched to announce that the week of December 5, 2011 will be a full on Metallica week in the Bay Area, more specifically we will be playing four shows for Met Club members only at the historic Fillmore in San Francisco on December 5, 7, 9, and 10 to celebrate our 30th anniversary. These unique shows will include special guests and events, rare songs, varied set lists, odds and ends, and all the nutty stuff you expect from Metallica... fun for the entire family! Come to the Bay Area and spend the week with us to not only close out 2011 out with a bang, but to celebrate over three decades worth of craziness.

Participate in the entire week of festivities with special four pack tickets (one ticket for each of the four shows) and automatic entry into the contests for various other special events, available for the clever price of $19.81 (get it??). If you can't join us for the full week, we'll have individual show tickets too and as you can see we're going back to early '80's ticket pricing (but not the hair!)... single show tickets will be just $6.00 each."

More at link.

$20 for four Metallica shows :eek:

300%_Density
07-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Son of a bitch...wow.

slapguitarer
07-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Interesting...

christopher
07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Oh fuck yeah! I'm going to try to go December 9th and 10th just cause its a Friday/Saturday and it won't mess with my finals week too bad.

Edit: I entered in the contest, so hopefully I can win the tickets tot he Friday/Saturday shows!

powerslave_85
07-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Holy shit.

TonyD
07-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Hm... you think if I join now I can get tickets?

Maidenmagic
07-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Rare songs? Could this mean they'll finally play The frayed ends of sanity and Escape?

JRA
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM
fun for the entire family!

OMG METALLICA SHOULDN DO FAMLY SHOS 18-24 OR GTFO.

Seriously though, that's pretty cool.

Also, I don't think Metallica could go back to 80's hair by that time if their life depended on it. Lars is thinning out like an endangered species, I think the same goes for Hetfield. Hammett kinda has it but eh.

masterguy49
07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I hate EVERYONE in California....

Sanitarium78
07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Rare songs? Could this mean they'll finally play The frayed ends of sanity and Escape?

From what I know, James doesn't like Escape at all. That'll explain why it's the only song off RTL they don't play. I wouldn't count on that one being played. Frayed Ends Of Sanity or Eye Of The Beholder are a possibility though.

Maybe Metal Millitia to.

mankvill
07-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Four shows

first four albums

:eyes:

christopher
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Four shows

first four albums

I'm thinking that. I'm sure they'll do it backwards though, so RTL and KEA are the last nights, but I could be wrong.

slapguitarer
07-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Four shows

first four albums

That would be incredible.

TonyD
07-27-2011, 07:19 PM
They did 4 shows at the Fillmore, I wanna say in 2003, definitely not the first 4 albums but it sounded like they did some cool shit.

hellawaits77ny
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm due for a vacation. I will seriously consider flying to SF for this.

mankvill
07-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm due for a vacation. I will seriously consider flying to SF for this.

Make sure you're in the Met Club before you go!

hellawaits77ny
07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Make sure you're in the Met Club before you go!

LOL, I am. And also, I have to make sure I "win" tickets before I buy my airfare.

IrritatedTrout
07-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Sounds amazing, wish I could go.

christopher
07-27-2011, 08:14 PM
LOL, I am. And also, I have to make sure I "win" tickets before I buy my airfare.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. If I do happen to win the tickets, I'm going to buy a cheap one way flight to SF. I have a buddy who entered the contest as well, but no matter what, he's going to drive up there for all 4 shows to hopefully find a way in somehow. He's then going to give me a ride back home after. I hope this works out.

hellawaits77ny
07-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah I'm in the same boat. If I do happen to win the tickets, I'm going to buy a cheap one way flight to SF. I have a buddy who entered the contest as well, but no matter what, he's going to drive up there for all 4 shows to hopefully find a way in somehow. He's then going to give me a ride back home after. I hope this works out.

Good luck Man. Yeah I'm sure there will be some scalpers around.

DisposableJustice
07-27-2011, 09:55 PM
That week is my birthday (December 6th)....hmmmm.....I love SF, and I have been out the last 2 years (2009 for Metallica in San Jose, 2010 for a birthday present)

I think I will do this if my dad wants to tag along:rocker:

EDIT

Entered all the contests for the 4 day ticket pack and all the single show tickets...wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

rjturtle9
07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I really need to get on this!!!

christopher
07-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Good luck Man. Yeah I'm sure there will be some scalpers around.

Well they're making it almost impossible for scalpers. The best bet would be tagging along with someone who happened to have an extra ticket. If I don't win the contest, I wont even try to get in.

ravenheart
07-28-2011, 01:30 AM
But, Metallica sold out and suck now and, you know, stuff :eyes:

Maidenmagic
07-28-2011, 04:47 AM
From what I know, James doesn't like Escape at all. That'll explain why it's the only song off RTL they don't play. I wouldn't count on that one being played. Frayed Ends Of Sanity or Eye Of The Beholder are a possibility though.

Maybe Metal Millitia to.

I forgot about Eye of the beholder! I remember reading a metallica gig report on this forum a while back where an Indian guy told Lars during a meet and greet that if they ever play in India, they must play Metal Millitia. Hopefully Lars remembered that so that song may be dragged up again before these shows.

300%_Density
07-28-2011, 07:02 AM
St. Anger
Load
Reload
Death Magnetic
Who's with me? *waits for something to be thrown at me* :finger:

Sepultura69
07-28-2011, 08:27 AM
So let me get this straight?

Is this going to be "the Wall" like shows that they talked about awhile back in late2010/early 2011? :confused:

Is this it? Is this the wall tour thing that they said would "supposedly" rival the one pink floyd had? Or is this something completely and totally different?

More answers, less questions please :bliss:

Dextrimental
07-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Is this going to be "the Wall" like shows that they talked about awhile back in late2010/early 2011? :confused:

Is this it? Is this the wall tour thing that they said would "supposedly" rival the one pink floyd had? Or is this something completely and totally different?

This will not be the fabled Wall tour. They have probably abandoned that idea for now due to the big 4 shows. It will be next year at least before we see a big Metallica tour again I'd imagine.

Dextrimental
07-28-2011, 08:45 AM

This will not be the fabled Wall tour. They have probably abandoned that idea for now due to the big 4 shows. It will be next year at least before we see a big Metallica tour again I'd imagine. It will be next year before we see a proper Metallica tour I would imagine.

DisposableJustice
07-28-2011, 09:14 AM
St. Anger
Load
Reload
Death Magnetic
Who's with me? *waits for something to be thrown at me* :finger:

*throws something at you*:D

As much as I would love the first 4 albums being played I doubt it will be that; I am hoping more like some deeper cuts like Eye of the Beholder, To Live is To Die, Escape (no way) and others are played

300%_Density
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Personally I'd like to see them do 1 night like they did in '98 (I think) and do a whole set of their Garage Inc. CD. I know there's a few they do but a lot they really don't. I'd do desperate things to hear them do Crash Course In Brain Surgery. Also the Motorhead covers, except when Lemmy came out and did it w/ them a few times. Just a few examples. Maybe I'm in the minority who'd want that but I'd love to see a night of that.

ravenheart
07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Personally I'd like to see them do 1 night like they did in '98 (I think) and do a whole set of their Garage Inc. CD. I know there's a few they do but a lot they really don't. I'd do desperate things to hear them do Crash Course In Brain Surgery. Also the Motorhead covers, except when Lemmy came out and did it w/ them a few times. Just a few examples. Maybe I'm in the minority who'd want that but I'd love to see a night of that.

Not sure I'd want a whole set of it. Mostly because the punkier stuff I just don't like.

But things like Small Hours, Astronomy and Sabbra Cadabra certainly need playing more often.

slapguitarer
07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
So why is it they'll never play Escape? :confused::eyes:

ravenheart
07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
So why is it they'll never play Escape? :confused::eyes:

Apparently James doesn't like it.

idrinkwine732
07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
I won't be there :(

Intimate Metallica shows...feelsbadman...

hellawaits77ny
07-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah, some deep cuts from Garage Inc would be sweet!

hellawaits77ny
07-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Well they're making it almost impossible for scalpers. The best bet would be tagging along with someone who happened to have an extra ticket. If I don't win the contest, I wont even try to get in.

You're probably right............at first I was thinking that you could get your tickets at will call (or box office, whatever), head back outside and try to scalp them. But now I see that once you pick up your tix you HAVE to enter right then and there. Definately tough for scalpers.

BUT, you could still get in should you know somebody who has an extra ticket. With so many peopl etrying to go to this, there's bound to be some people who buy the extra ticket planning on trying to get a few bucks from someone who wants to go. Hell, that's what I'll do if I win and can't find anyone to fly across the country w/ me :money:

hellawaits77ny
08-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Anyone win the 4 pack? I didn't :bouville:

Hoping I win tix to an individual show or 2. Will also try like hell to be someone's +1 for any of the shows.

christopher
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM

Hoping I win tix to an individual show or 2. Will also try like hell to be someone's +1 for any of the shows.

I did....not win :bouville: I hope I get a ticket to the Friday and Saturday show.

hellawaits77ny
08-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I did....not win :bouville: I hope I get a ticket to the Friday and Saturday show.

I'm with ya Man. It's a fucking bummer. As I said, I will try everything to get tix to a couple of 'em.

christopher
08-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Oh that was a one night thing? My friend told me it was a full tour of covers. hmm

hellawaits77ny
08-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Oh that was a one night thing? My friend told me it was a full tour of covers. hmm

It was a tour, sort of. I think there were like 5 shows. I thought they were cool, I have a couple of DVD.

DisposableJustice
08-08-2011, 08:00 PM

I didn't either :boohoo:

But I will be more than happy if I win at least one of the shows (C'mon metclub that week is my birthday help me out here!)

btw hellawaits77ny if I win a show I will consider you for my 2nd ;)

hellawaits77ny
08-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I didn't either :boohoo:

But I will be more than happy if I win at least one of the shows (C'mon metclub that week is my birthday help me out here!)

btw hellawaits77ny if I win a show I will consider you for my 2nd ;)

Awesome, thanks so much!! And if I win I will consider you as well, of course :rocker:

DisposableJustice
08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
I will consider others but they have to fight round robin to the death first;)

hellawaits77ny
08-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I will consider others but they have to fight round robin to the death first;)

HAHA, I like the way you think :light:

Sepultura69
08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
so uh....when do the tickets go on sale :eyes:

DisposableJustice
08-08-2011, 11:15 PM

when time stops:eyes:

Part of me wishes this was open to the public but then it would be like 500 bucks a tickets and would be sold out in 2 seconds

christopher
08-09-2011, 01:52 AM

They went on sale today....if you were lucky enough to have won tickets:flame:

hellawaits77ny
08-09-2011, 02:18 AM

If you do win, and don't have a 2nd person going with you, I will pay you nicely for your other ticket :D

Sepultura69
08-09-2011, 09:27 AM
If you do win, and don't have a 2nd person going with you, I will pay you nicely for your other ticket :D

NO WAY JOSE, let me buy the ticket. I live way closer to him then you do :D

christopher
08-09-2011, 12:02 PM

If I do win, I already have someone to give the ticket to:eyes: He's basically giving me a ride home from San Fran if we go, so its a fair trade haha

hellawaits77ny
08-09-2011, 01:45 PM
If I do win, I already have someone to give the ticket to:eyes: He's basically giving me a ride home from San Fran if we go, so its a fair trade haha

LOL, I figured. Hopefully we both win a night or 2

hellawaits77ny
08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I won tix to Night 3, December 9. Looking for someone to trade +1's with, so we can each hit more than 1 show. PM me if you can help!

christopher
08-12-2011, 03:48 PM
I didn't win :(

hellawaits77ny
08-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I didn't win :(

Shit man, I'm sorry. Hopefully you'll have some luck w/ the second chance drawing in a few days.

DisposableJustice
08-12-2011, 09:29 PM
I won tix to Night 3, December 9. Looking for someone to trade +1's with, so we can each hit more than 1 show. PM me if you can help!

Congrats man.....looks like I didn't win, no e-mails :(

hellawaits77ny
08-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Congrats man.....looks like I didn't win, no e-mails :(

Check the actual site. It took me forever to get the email, and it isn't automatic. Just click on each date, and it will tell you "congrats" or "we're sorry".

http://www.metallica.com/club-news/jul-27-2011-fillmore-30th-anniversary-show-ticket-details.asp

DisposableJustice
08-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Check the actual site. It took me forever to get the email, and it isn't automatic. Just click on each date, and it will tell you "congrats" or "we're sorry".

http://www.metallica.com/club-news/jul-27-2011-fillmore-30th-anniversary-show-ticket-details.asp

Thanks but no buneo.....crossing my fingers for a second chance round;)

hellawaits77ny
08-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks but no buneo.....crossing my fingers for a second chance round;)

Best of luck, Man

sfhui
12-04-2011, 02:51 AM
2days left, still hate the fact that I didnt win any tix:mad:

MPF
12-04-2011, 03:00 AM
To those bitching about not being able to go to this...

I've only seen Metallica twice....both times supporting St. Anger.....

So yeah....unless you haven't seen Metallica, you have no right to complain :)

MetalIsArt
12-04-2011, 04:48 AM

I've seen them twice too, in 2004 & 2009.

The (two) St Anger songs they played in 2004 sounded much better live, but the total atmosphere was better in 2009. Some mistakes, but that's part of the charm I guess lol.

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 05:11 AM
I was lucky enough to win tix to Night 3. I'm very thankful.

Don't feel bad, guys. Lot's people didn't win, and some of the people who won the 4 pack even won a spot in the HQ barbeque. How the hell does that work?

Steev
12-04-2011, 05:53 AM

I saw them twice around that time and they only played 1-2 songs off the album

MetalIsArt
12-04-2011, 06:04 AM
I saw them twice around that time and they only played 1-2 songs off the album

Of course. They mostly played St. Anger & Frantic, a few times Some Kind Of Monster, The Unnamed Feeling & Dirty Window and just once Sweet Amber, if I'm not mistaken.

And near the end of the tour it was just St.Anger alone or Frantic alone. Lol.

Steev
12-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Of course. They mostly played St. Anger & Frantic, a few times Some Kind Of Monster, The Unnamed Feeling & Dirty Window and just once Sweet Amber, if I'm not mistaken.

And near the end of the tour it was just St.Anger alone or Frantic alone. Lol.

the one I went to in '04 it was just St. Anger

MetalIsArt
12-04-2011, 06:15 AM
the one I went to in '04 it was just St. Anger

Haha. ;)

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Sweet Amber live sounded very cool.

DisposableJustice
12-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I was lucky enough to win tix to Night 3. I'm very thankful.

Don't feel bad, guys. Lot's people didn't win, and some of the people who won the 4 pack even won a spot in the HQ barbeque. How the hell does that work?

Man this would have been the best birthday ever for me (I'm Dec 6th) So you have a fuckload of fun for me ok?;)

Christen
12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Jealous of anyone who gets to go. I've yet to see Metallica live and I'd imagine this would be amazing.

sfhui
12-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Metallica play rare old stuff to celebrate their 30s, come on haters.

ps, what is the HQ BBQ thing about?

metallicbrian666
12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Metallica play rare old stuff to celebrate their 30s, come on haters.

ps, what is the HQ BBQ thing about?
I'd imagine it's just a BBQ where you can meet the band and hang out at their HQ studio/rehearsal space

Also, they should learn how to play the Frayed Ends Of Sanity and do it. That shit needs to be played live.

mankvill
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I'd imagine it's just a BBQ where you can meet the band and hang out at their HQ studio/rehearsal space

Also, they should learn how to play the Frayed Ends Of Sanity and do it. That shit needs to be played live.

:fist:

on one of their ep's they've released in the past few years, they do play like up to the vocals for Frayed as a teaser.

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Man this would have been the best birthday ever for me (I'm Dec 6th) So you have a fuckload of fun for me ok?;)

Absolutely. I just have to stay away from the liquor!! Beer only this trip!!

Agreed so much :rocker::light: