PDA

View Full Version : Clutch -- Pittsburgh, PA -- July 22nd, 2011

daimonos
07-22-2011, 10:07 PM
After driving around forever to find a parking lot and walking two miles to the venue, I finally got to Stage AE, which is a new place in Pittsburgh. This is the first show I've been to there, and it really wasn't bad, other than location. Got in and hung out with Moobys for a little bit and ate.

The first band on was Groundscore. I had heard some weird things about them, but I thought they were pretty interesting and enjoyable. They're like a hardcore punk/reggae hybrid. You can tell they're playing their hearts out onstage, and the drummer was awesome. They ended up playing around 40 minutes.

Not long after they were done, Mike Dean from Corrosion of Conformity came onstage and told everyone that the drummer Reed Mullin had passed out because of the heat or something, and that they couldn't play the show. It was pretty disappointing, but I hope all is well with them.

After a pretty decent wait, Clutch took the stage. This was my first Clutch headlining show, so I was excited as hell. They opened with Gravel Road and I nearly lost it. They really put on a great show, and it seemed like they played for awhile. At least an hour and a half, maybe and hour and 45. Although the set wasn't as varied as I had hoped for (lack of Elephant Riders, Self Titled, PRF material), they did play 7 songs off of Blast Tyrant. They might have gone a little heavy on it, but I didn't mind because I love every song on the album. They also played a new song, that Neil said they finished at soundcheck that day, which was pretty rockin'.

Really lookin forward to seeing these guys again. This was the best show I've seen in awhile. Setlist may be slightly out of order.

Clutch setlist:

Gravel Road
Burning Beard
Spleen Merchant
Promoter (Of Earthbound Causes)
Sea of Destruction
The Dragonfly
Subtle Hustle
New Song
Mercury
Profits of Doom
The Mob Goes Wild
Cypress Grove
Abraham Lincoln
The Incomparable Mr. Flannery
Electric Worry
One Eye Dollar
--------------------
Big News I
Jam
Big News II
Pure Rock Fury

DethMaiden
07-22-2011, 10:09 PM
HOLY SHIT THEY'RE DOING RARITIES FROM BLAST TYRANT ON THIS TOUR I'M GOING TO SHIT MY PANTS INFINITELY ON FRIDAY

daimonos
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
HOLY SHIT THEY'RE DOING RARITIES FROM BLAST TYRANT ON THIS TOUR I'M GOING TO SHIT MY PANTS INFINITELY ON FRIDAY

:fist:

DethMaiden
07-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Seen 'em six times so far and I've never seen Spleen Merchant, Promoter, Subtle Hustle, or Mercury just out of that set. This is why they are the best live band ever.

300%_Density
07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Subtle Hustle? Wow that's a new one to see them play, to my knowledge. I'd be quite alright to hear them do more from Blast Tyrant. That album got me into Clutch. Usually all I'll hear is them do Mob but nothing else. And if every Clutch show I go to the rest of my life has them open w/ Gravel Road I'd be a happy man. Interested about new song. I know it's difficult to judge based on how different all their albums are but which album would you say it would fit w/ in their catalog?

300%_Density
07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Son of a bitch, I just noticed what DethMaiden said. Can't believe I actually missed seeing them do Spleen Merchant!!!! I've wanted to hear them do that song live for as long as I've listened to that album, super jealous. I am an 8x Clutch veteran myself.

daimonos
07-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Seen 'em six times so far and I've never seen Spleen Merchant, Promoter, Subtle Hustle, or Mercury just out of that set. This is why they are the best live band ever.

Wow, I didn't realize I was so lucky. Now the show was even better ;)

Subtle Hustle? Wow that's a new one to see them play, to my knowledge. I'd be quite alright to hear them do more from Blast Tyrant. That album got me into Clutch. Usually all I'll hear is them do Mob but nothing else. And if every Clutch show I go to the rest of my life has them open w/ Gravel Road I'd be a happy man. Interested about new song. I know it's difficult to judge based on how different all their albums are but which album would you say it would fit w/ in their catalog?

The new song had way more of a rock vibe than anything on Strange Cousins From the West. Sounded kind of like a Blast Tyrant/Beale Street jam.

300%_Density
07-22-2011, 10:22 PM
The new song had way more of a rock vibe than anything on Strange Cousins From the West. Sounded kind of like a Blast Tyrant/Beale Street jam.

Yes!!! Now I'm even more excited to hear this!!!!

idrinkwine732
07-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Subtle Hustle

I GOT YOUR NUMBER
I STEAL YOUR THUNDER
I GOT YOUR MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME TATTOOED ON MY ARM

I'd be so stoked to see that live. :fist:

daimonos
07-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I GOT YOUR NUMBER
I STEAL YOUR THUNDER

I'd be so stoked to see that live. :fist:

CAN I HEAR AN AYYYMENN

idrinkwine732
07-22-2011, 11:07 PM
It's just one of those songs I can't help but smile at when I hear it.

El Gordo
07-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Fuck, I wish they were coming up here. That's a great set. As everyone else is saying, Subtle fucking Hustle?!

daimonos
07-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Come to think of it, they may have played Worm Drink, too. But I'm not completely sure.

TonyD
07-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Has anyone ever seen a truly bad Clutch set?

MPF
07-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Has anyone ever seen a truly bad Clutch set?

Woah, is that sentence even possible?

TonyD
07-25-2011, 12:51 AM
That's what I'm trying to figure out

MPF
07-25-2011, 12:54 AM
That's what I'm trying to figure out

Kinda off topic in some way but you and I are both huge Clutch fans. I'm starting a radio show of Hard Rock and Metal next Tuesday and I know I wanna play some Clutch, but I'm playing to people who mainly just listen to Mainstream radio, but I wanna play actually good music. What Clutch song would you want to hear in a 10 song playlist? I'm thinking 50,000 Unstoppable Watts because it is very damn catchy. Suggestions?

Derelict
07-25-2011, 06:19 AM

What he fucking said. Mercury and Subtle Hustle? Wow.

Derelict
07-25-2011, 06:20 AM
I GOT YOUR NUMBER
I'LL STEAL YOUR THUNDER

SomewhereInTime72
07-25-2011, 06:32 AM
mother of FUCK

daimonos
07-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Kinda off topic in some way but you and I are both huge Clutch fans. I'm starting a radio show of Hard Rock and Metal next Tuesday and I know I wanna play some Clutch, but I'm playing to people who mainly just listen to Mainstream radio, but I wanna play actually good music. What Clutch song would you want to hear in a 10 song playlist? I'm thinking 50,000 Unstoppable Watts because it is very damn catchy. Suggestions?

The Mob Goes Wild or Electric Worry, I'd say.

bobisdead911
07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
That's an unbelievable set, playing that many great songs, ending with EW/OED AND an encore, as opposed to when I saw them open for Motorhead and they played like 5 songs:mad: I was so disappointed.

Natrlhi
08-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Seen 'em six times so far and I've never seen Spleen Merchant, Promoter, Subtle Hustle, or Mercury just out of that set. This is why they are the best live band ever.Yes, Clutch is one of the best ever. We got Spleen Merchant and Mercury in Cleveland last week - how about you C-bus folk? I'll be posting the full set list and gig report from that show soon.

Has anyone ever seen a truly bad Clutch set?Well, kinda. I'll explain in my upcoming gig report from the 7/28 show.

ravenheart
08-02-2011, 08:57 AM
The Dragonfly
Big News I
Big News II

Motherfucker.

ravenheart
08-02-2011, 08:58 AM
how about you C-bus folk?

He can't collect his thoughts enough to post the setlist just yet. He's still getting over meeting Neil Fallon ;)

daimonos
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Funny, since this show, whenever I listen to Blast Tyrant, I jam to it like nothing else.

Natrlhi
08-02-2011, 12:23 PM
The Dragonfly
Big News I
Big News IIMotherfucker.We got Big News I & II in Cleveland, too, and I've seen them play Dragonfly before as well. :finger:

He can't collect his thoughts enough to post the setlist just yet. He's still getting over meeting Neil Fallon ;)Similar for me, only it isn't from meeting anybody famous - I've just been insanely busy since early last week. The story about Brad's childlike swooning over Neil is a much funnier story, though. :lol:

Natrlhi
08-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Funny, since this show, whenever I listen to Blast Tyrant, I jam to it like nothing else.That should have already been the case. :hmm:

daimonos
08-03-2011, 11:12 AM
That should have already been the case. :hmm:

It was, but now I get more excited about it ;)

moobys37
08-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Didn't see this thread when it was posted, but daim already said pretty much everything I wanted to say, except I thought Groundscore was terrible. Clutch always has the oddest opening bands, but this was the first miss for me.

Also, the new song sounded fantastic. Apparently it's called Newt Gingrich :D

daimonos
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Didn't see this thread when it was posted, but daim already said pretty much everything I wanted to say, except I thought Groundscore was terrible. Clutch always has the oddest opening bands, but this was the first miss for me.

Also, the new song sounded fantastic. Apparently it's called Newt Gingrich :D

Great show, man. Do you know if they played Worm Drink by chance?

petrovar
08-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Great show, man. Do you know if they played Worm Drink by chance?

They did not

daimonos
08-09-2011, 09:56 AM
They did not

Thank you, I wasn't completely sure and it was driving me crazy!