PDA

View Full Version : What Should My First Metal Radio Segment Be?

MPF
07-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,

A couple weeks back, the night I saw/met Devin Townsend. The host of a Metal Radio show in the Twin Cities (The Root Of All Evil, kfai.org) offered me a guest spot on an upcoming show to play some music of my choosing, and if people dig what they hear, I can make it a somewhat regular deal. I made playlists on all the choices I gave already (all 6-8 songs, roughly 35-45 minutes long).

I was just curious, if you were to want to check me out on my first show, what kind of music you you want me to focus on first time around?

mankvill
07-18-2011, 03:15 PM
good stuff!

MPF
07-18-2011, 03:17 PM
good stuff!

Planning on it. :D

MPF
07-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Also I should add that I will NOT be adding Deathcore, Djent, Nu Metal, and Most Metalcore.

Not that I necessarily don't like those genes (well obviously I hate Deathcore) but the genres above are not widely accepted or wanted. I've been a fan of the show for years and know how it works.

Also because it's on FM, I can't repeat a band more then twice due to rules and regulations. So as much as I want to do band retrospectives..I legally can't.

mastodon421
07-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd play an eccletic mix. I think it makes things more interesting when not focusing on one genre specfically.

Natrlhi
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Sludge / doom and post-metal are two different things, but I love them both, and since you gave me an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, I voted for that. :D

MPF
07-18-2011, 03:50 PM
One last thing I do need to add. Because I don't know how their setup is. I do gotta bring in the music I wanna play myself. My goal is to bring in stuff that wouldn't normally be heard, but equally badass. It's a public radio station, so that's probably the other reason I should bring in my own stuff.

Sludge, Doom,and Post are different genres, but I ran out of space. :D

llama lom
07-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Will it be online for listening?

MPF
07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Will it be online for listening?

I gotta finalize the date. I should hopefully be hearing back soon on what day works.

It will be a Saturday night to stream live, and available to listen at anytime that next day.

ravenheart
07-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Do a radio show about why the radio sucks.

MPF
07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Do a radio show about why the radio sucks.

As I did mentioned before, this is Public Radio, funded by the state of Minnesota and donations. As in, it's not run by the music industry. So there's no need to rant. I can play almost anything I want. :D

ravenheart
07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
As I did mentioned before, this is Public Radio, funded by the state of Minnesota and donations. As in, it's not run by the music industry. So there's no need to rant. I can play almost anything I want. :D

Even MORE reason to stick the boot in on commercial radio ;)

Natrlhi
07-21-2011, 08:42 AM
As I did mentioned before, this is Public Radio, funded by the state of Minnesota and donations. As in, it's not run by the music industry. So there's no need to rant. I can play almost anything I want. :DGood point.

Even MORE reason to stick the boot in on commercial radio ;)Even better point. :D

MPF
07-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Major Update

Hey guys, just got an incredible offer tonight that is non related to the radio station that this thread is about, but something that you guys will be hearing starting next Tuesday if you are interested.

A good Facebook friend of mine works as an intern/DJ at a mainstream Twin Cities station, On Tuesday and Friday Nights he hosts a radio/webcam show on Stickam that is the definition of variety. He'll go from Lady Gaga, to Owl City, to Gojira to Tears Of Ash (Check my signature). He wants me to be a host of a Top 10 Rock/Metal countdown every Tuesday starting at 9pm, starting next Tuesday. I can make the show anyway I want to. From Satanic Death Metal to 60s Hippie Jam band songs. as long as I keep it, entertaining, and appealing. Basically meaning, don't make it boring.

So all this week I will be recording Station IDs, promos, Intros, outros and all that good stuff for the show. I also gotta come up with a DJ name. I wanna be called That Drummer Guy (also, check my signature), but not sure if that is too long or not.

Its mainly focused on our area, Western Wisconsin/Twin Cites Minnesota, but anyone would be able to watch it and hopefully will enjoy it.

The link to the Facebook is here: http://www.facebook.com/w3rdradio

So starting NEXT Tuesday you'll be able to hear me play my favorite Rock and Metal songs. So it's going to be pretty varied every week. I'll post a link to the show when it gets closer.

I can't wait to start. I'm already getting playlists together!

llama lom
07-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Major Update

Hey guys, just got an incredible offer tonight that is non related to the radio station that this thread is about, but something that you guys will be hearing starting next Tuesday if you are interested.

A good Facebook friend of mine works as an intern/DJ at a mainstream Twin Cities station, On Tuesday and Friday Nights he hosts a radio/webcam show on Stickam that is the definition of variety. He'll go from Lady Gaga, to Owl City, to Gojira to Tears Of Ash (Check my signature). He wants me to be a host of a Top 10 Rock/Metal countdown every Tuesday starting at 9pm, starting next Tuesday. I can make the show anyway I want to. From Satanic Death Metal to 60s Hippie Jam band songs. as long as I keep it, entertaining, and appealing. Basically meaning, don't make it boring.

So all this week I will be recording Station IDs, promos, Intros, outros and all that good stuff for the show. I also gotta come up with a DJ name. I wanna be called That Drummer Guy (also, check my signature), but not sure if that is too long or not.

Its mainly focused on our area, Western Wisconsin/Twin Cites Minnesota, but anyone would be able to watch it and hopefully will enjoy it.

The link to the Facebook is here: http://www.facebook.com/w3rdradio

So starting NEXT Tuesday you'll be able to hear me play my favorite Rock and Metal songs. So it's going to be pretty varied every week. I'll post a link to the show when it gets closer.

I can't wait to start. I'm already getting playlists together!

That's fucking awesome man! Congrats!

MPF
07-25-2011, 11:33 AM
That's fucking awesome man! Congrats!

Thanks man. I start recording everything Wednesday, and then from Next Tuesday on. I can't wait.

MPF
07-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I do have the playlist all planned out. If anyone wants to see it I'll post it (although it would ruin the surprise next Tuesday if you tune in). I think its a pretty well balanced set. 45 minutes roughly. People will dig it.

MPF
07-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Got the show recorded back on Thursday and made copies of the show for close friends and family. They all really like it. The song selection to the banter to being told I have a sexy voice by a fine lady friend. If you want to check out the show on Tuesday Night at 9pm Central I will be posting the link Tuesday, otherwise here is the playlist (which I'll be making silver for those who want to be surprised):

Fair To Midland- Whiskey And Ritalin
Periphery- All New Materials
Clutch- 50,000 Unstoppable Watts
King's X- Dogman
Pagan's Mind- Eyes Of Fire
Triptykon- A Thousand Lies
Strapping Young Lad- Love?
Orange Sky- Alone
Dredg- Bug Eyes
Alcest- Souvenirs d'un autre monde

I'm already starting work on next Weeks show, if you want to listen, feel free to send requests my way.

brutal_descent
07-31-2011, 04:51 PM

:brofist:

MPF
07-31-2011, 05:08 PM

2/5th of the playlist getting a brofist is good in my book.

brutal_descent
07-31-2011, 05:11 PM
2/5th of the playlist getting a brofist is good in my book.

The rest is good too, but that shit is just :drool:

MPF
07-31-2011, 05:21 PM
The rest is good too, but that shit is just :drool:

Thanks man. I actually spent about 3 hours trying to perfect that playlist. I wanted the show to start off with a bang, hitting everything I could. The show I'm working on right now is turning out pretty fucking badass as well. I know a lot of you guys will like this one even more.

brutal_descent
07-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks man. I actually spent about 3 hours trying to perfect that playlist. I wanted the show to start off with a bang, hitting everything I could. The show I'm working on right now is turning out pretty fucking badass as well. I know a lot of you guys will like this one even more.

Make one just for me, djent guy! :lovedup:

MPF
07-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Make one just for me, djent guy! :lovedup:

I was going to till you called me Djent guy...

What do you want to hear?

brutal_descent
07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
I was going to till you called me Djent guy...

What do you want to hear?

Saint Vitus, Electric Wizard, Melvins, Sleep, High on Fire, Remission-era Mastodon, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Paradise Lost, and Agalloch plz :hug:

MPF
07-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Saint Vitus, Electric Wizard, Melvins, Sleep, High on Fire, Remission-era Mastodon, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Paradise Lost, and Agalloch plz :hug:

I'll probably hit almost all of those in the upcoming weeks, but I can't do that for one specific show. 1.) That will be giving away everything you want to hear right away. 2.) I have to make the shows well rounded to make all listeners enjoy the show. But I will hit a lot of those in upcoming shows.

brutal_descent
07-31-2011, 06:02 PM
I'll probably hit almost all of those in the upcoming weeks, but I can't do that for one specific show. 1.) That will be giving away everything you want to hear right away. 2.) I have to make the shows well rounded to make all listeners enjoy the show. But I will hit a lot of those in upcoming shows.

Make a industrial special for late-night listeners? :tongue:

MPF
07-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Make a industrial special for late-night listeners? :tongue:

I can add some industrial at some point. Ministry, Fear Factory, etc.

Just keep in mind the show will be roughly an hour long (No strict time limit since it's on the internet), and 10 songs. So it's gotta be somewhat realistic. :tongue:

brutal_descent
07-31-2011, 06:04 PM
I can add some industiral at some point. Ministry, Fear Factory and the likes.

Just keep in mind the show will be roughly an hour long (No strict time limit since it's on the internet), and 10 songs. So it's gotta be somewhat realistic. :tongue:

KMFDM! :lovedup:

MPF
07-31-2011, 06:07 PM
KMFDM! :lovedup:

That's starting to push it. But I'll see...

llama lom
07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Sunn O)))????

mankvill
07-31-2011, 06:25 PM
You should find a bunch of covers popular metal bands are known to cover and play the originals.

MPF
07-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Sunn O)))????

Possibly. I think that might be pushing things a bit. espcially considering their song lengths. Let alone it being Drone Music. Maybe if the show catches on more.

You should find a bunch of covers popular metal bands are known to cover and play the originals.

I was going to do something like that in the future. "Yeah you like KSE's Holy Diver? Here's the real version that's actually good."

MPF
07-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Promo Picture I just made:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/282456_10150730190335459_629590458_19905333_673331 6_n.jpg

ravenheart
08-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Promo Picture I just made:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/285394_10150729575900459_629590458_19896438_502801 6_n.jpg

I recommend taking the "YOUR TEXT" bit off... Publisher boy ;)

MPF
08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I recommend taking the "YOUR TEXT" bit off... Publisher boy ;)

Fixed. :tongue:

MPF
08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Well Tonight is the night. I hope you guys can tune and and enjoy it. I'm really looking forward to it.

10/9pm Central

http://www.stickam.com/w3rdradioshow

MPF
08-02-2011, 06:56 PM
So the show just got done, here is the playlist in normal color:

Fair To Midland- Whiskey And Ritalin
Periphery- All New Materials
Clutch- 50,000 Unstoppable Watts
King's X- Dogman
Orange Sky- Alone
Dredg- Bug Eyes

So, did anyone check out the show? If you did, what did you think of it?

MPF
08-08-2011, 11:34 PM
For those can't/won't/ Don't want to tune in. This is this weeks playlist airing tonight at 9pm Central:

1. The Damned Things – We’ve Got A Situation Here
2. Volbeat – Who They Are
3. Blind Guardian – A Voice In The Dark
4. Slayer – Disciple
5. Parkway Drive – Romance is Dead
6. Emperor – In the Wordless Chamber
7. World Under Blood – A God Among the Waste
8. Porcupine Tree – The Pills I’m Taking
9. Paradise Lost – How Soon Is Now?
10. Mouth of the Architect – In Your Eyes

Natrlhi
08-09-2011, 07:42 AM
10. Mouth of the Architect In Your Eyesinb4 Brad goes :drool:

MPF
08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
inb4 Brad goes :drool:

It's one of my favorite covers of all time. People really liked it too on the air. SO it's Win Win.

MPF
08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Again the show played on Friday Night late so I'm guessing that's becoming a reoccurring theme, which I like to get the music out there faster. Here is the playlist that will replay on Tuesday at 9pm Central:

1) Devin Townsend - Hyperdrive!
2) Dead Letter Circus - Big
3) Against the Wall - The One
4) Adrenaline Mob - Believe Me
5) Dream Theater - On the Backs of Angels
6) GWAR - Metal Metal Land
7) In Flames - My Sweet Shadow
8) Trivium - In Waves
9) Revocation - The Watchers
10) Between the Buried and Me - White Walls

OraclesofAgony
08-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Again the show played on Friday Night late so I'm guessing that's becoming a reoccurring theme, which I like to get the music out there faster. Here is the playlist that will replay on Tuesday at 9pm Central:

8) Trivium - In Waves

:rocker::rocker:

BloodoftheKings
08-14-2011, 01:07 PM

8) Trivium - In Waves

Good choices. Which version of hyperdrive will you be playing.

MPF
08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
:rocker::rocker:

:rocker:

Good choices. Which version of hyperdrive will you be playing.

Thank you sir!

I'll be playing the Addicted version. I was originally going to be doing the Ziltoid version but the Addicted version is upbeat and happy and I didn't want to start the show on a downer.

I will be playing more Devin Townsend next week.

MPF
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Had last week off due to studio remodeling, just got back from doing the show live:

1.) The Dear Hunter- Deny It All
2.) Mastodon- Curl of the Burl
3.) Katatonia- Forsaker
4.) Dog Fashion Disco- The Darkest Days
5.) August Burns Red- Leveler
6.) James LaBrie- One More Time
7.) The Contortionist- Flourish
8.) Acid Bath- Scream Of The Butterfly
9.) Opeth- Bleak
10.) Devin Townsend- Poltergeist

MPF
09-06-2011, 02:54 AM