Godsmack (USA) *
Guns N' Roses (USA)
Protest The Hero (CAN)
Straight Line Stitch (USA) *
Suicide Silence (USA) *
Sum 41 (CAN)
Yellowcard (USA) *

* Bands that suck anyway.

Megadeth sucked in March, but were fucking awesome July '10 and on Mayhem, so the good outweighs the bad.

Let me make this clear - I LOVE Protest The Hero, but their set at Graspop was DREADFUL. :barf:

ravenheart
07-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Deep Purple (UK)
Guns N' Roses (USA)

Impressively incorrect.

brutal_descent
07-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Impressively incorrect.

Call me a dick, but Ian Gillan ruined the show for me by wheezing after every note. He's got to fucking retire. Guns N' Roses was below average, if that makes their inclusion on my list any better. The sound was awful, and he was off key most of the night.

Nick_to_the_face
07-15-2011, 02:49 PM
White Chapel. Absolutely horrible.

ravenheart
07-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Call me a dick, but Ian Gillan ruined the show for me by wheezing after every note. He's got to fucking retire. Guns N' Roses was below average, if that makes their inclusion on my list any better. The sound was awful, and he was off key most of the night.

See if you're basing your list on bands you've seen once then it's all pretty irrelevant.

I've seen both of those bands at least 4 times each and maybe once each they weren't so good.

larvtard
07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
These are bands that I like, mind you.

Slayer
Megadeth
Exodus
Between the Buried and Me

I'll probably think of more later

brutal_descent
07-15-2011, 02:53 PM

Slayer
Megadeth
Exodus

Exodus? :eek: They're one of the last bands I'd imagine suck.

ravenheart
07-15-2011, 02:54 PM

You'd be amazed at how much having a singer who's a dick can ruin a show.

larvtard
07-15-2011, 02:54 PM

First time I saw them I was pleasantly surprised. Second time, nah. Maybe it was the venue's sound, though.

brutal_descent
07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
You'd be amazed at how much having a singer who's a dick can ruin a show.

I know, it's one of the reasons I hated Suicide Silence when I saw them the first time.

Nick_to_the_face
07-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Slayer
Megadeth
Exodus

Megadeth? How dare you :bouville:

brutal_descent
07-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Hey, they've sucked for me once before, and I'm a diehard Megadeth fanboy. :tongue:

Nick_to_the_face
I know, it's one of the reasons I hated Suicide Silence when I saw them the first time.

They were really good when I saw them at Mayhem :eyes:

ravenheart

Actually, the first time I saw them they were pretty awful. Fortunately second time was better and third time was awesome.

ravenheart
07-15-2011, 02:59 PM

You didn't hate them because they're a shit band? Shouldn't that have been enough? ;)

brutal_descent
07-15-2011, 03:00 PM

I would go as far as to say decent, yes. Surprised me, actually. But their headlining show... The venue's sound... The crowd... Mitch Lucker being a complete tool... It all came together quite poorly.

brutal_descent
07-15-2011, 03:00 PM
You didn't hate them because they're a shit band? Shouldn't that have been enough? ;)

That too.

brutal_descent
07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Actually, the first time I saw them they were pretty awful. Fortunately second time was better and third time was awesome.

First time - amazing
Second time - awful
Third time - good

Maiden33
07-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Sound-wise, Sonata Arctica and Kamelot were probably two of the most collectively unimpressive live bands I've seen that I actually like. That's partially because of absolutely terrible setlist construction, and sometimes it's unfair to blame a band because of poor sound - but overall they were just mediocre performances anyway. Stratovarius wasn't particularly outstanding either time I saw them as well.

Also, I will catch so much crap for these two from some people, but I'll explain my reasoning:
1) Judas Priest: I've seen them twice, and I have to admit being pretty far away both times probably didn't help, but I was honestly just bored to tears during their set. Technically speaking both were completely solid performances and the sound was great. But I just found the show so utterly contrived and unexciting.
2) Queensryche: I must say their performances of Operation:Mindcrime in its entirety are a thing of legend, and very rightfully so. Those sets are incredible. But every time I've seen them just play "hits" or a standard set, they were so boring to me. Absolutely phoned-in as far as energy, participation, and whatnot are concerned. And regarding the playing... always solid, never exceptional. For most bands who wrote music so groundbreaking, when they play the songs live today, they stand up perfectly and usually are actually improved upon by the modern age (see: Saxon) - but when Queensryche plays songs off The Warning now, it sounds like a modern rock band doing Queensryche covers. So underwhelming to me.

Alas, the most notoriously bad live performance I've ever witnessed by a band I cared anything about was by Dark Empire in 2008. I can't blame them TOO much for this, as they hardly ever play live in the first place. Singer Jens Carlsson didn't bother to fly in from Sweden for the couple of shows, so they had some random dude who could barely sing take his place. I believe the drummer was new, or also a temp, which explains why he was absolutely all over the place. Both guitarists were technically great, but overall the band was just completely disjointed. I don't know if I've ever felt worse watching a band's set that I had actually been looking forward to seeing.

mankvill
07-15-2011, 03:09 PM

You didn't see them at Mayhem. ;)

GarageMetal468
07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Marduk - bored me to shit when I saw them open for Possessed. I tried watching them again at MDF and not even a minute later I was back outside drinking

Finntroll - Oh my god they were HORRIBLE. Thank god they were headlining when I saw them so I get out of there early. It was 5 songs in before I said "fuck this" and left.

Coroner - Don't get me started. I waited months in anticipation and was let down miserably.

Dawn of Ashes - Industrial gone death metal and Gwar rip off stage presence? No thank you!

In This Moment - I could hear them better from far away and it still sounded like crap!

There's probably more that I'm forgetting these are the ones I can think of now.

powerslave_85
07-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I only saw them once, but Smashing Pumpkins were extremely disappointing. It was at one of those outdoor radio station festivals. I hate being "that guy" who only wants to hear hits, but almost the entire set (what they played, anyways, more on that later) was boring crap from Ava Adore and Machina/The Machines of God. Yeah, that's nice, but I want to hear "Zero," goddamnit. It started raining during their set*, and they had to stop for a bit so they wouldn't get electrocuted. The fans started chanting and throwing shit on the stage (Arizona concert audiences are fucking assholes, FYI), and Billy got really pissed and came out and told them to stop throwing things, and that they'd be back soon. They eventually came back out, played like two or three more songs and that was it. I'm fairly certain that they finished early, because it was a short set and I saw some stuff like acoustic guitars sitting offstage that never got used.

*The one highlight of the show was the rain starting to come down during the crescendo of "Tonight Tonight." It was really cool and dramatic.

John The Drummer
07-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Finntroll - Oh my god they were HORRIBLE. Thank god they were headlining when I saw them so I get out of there early. It was 5 songs in before I said "fuck this" and left.

I couldn't think of a band I wanted to list until I read this and remembered how terrible they were.

I saw them last year and thought they sucked, then saw them again this year w/ Ensiferum and thought they were a little better, but still blew... obviously following a band such as Ensiferum is nearly impossible unless you're Melechesh or Kreator.

idrinkwine732
07-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Coroner - Don't get me started. I waited months in anticipation and was let down miserably.

:tp: That setlist was absolute shit, but they were a very fine live band. Performed impeccably with some excellent stage presence shown. They don't deserve to be in this thread.

However, the following bands do...

Suicide Silence
Whitechapel
Cephalic Carnage

Exodus don't really deserve a place in here either, if you ask me. Rob's been super nice to me every time I've met him, especially at a small show last summer. Seeing them play Toxic Waltz with Zetro was one of my favorite concert moments ever.

BloodoftheKings
07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Not counting bands that suck to begin with.

Megadeth (just Mustaine's voice is shit live but everything else is good)
The Misfits (I could sing their songs better then Jerry Only, and they play way louder then necessary)
Dark Tranquilty (they weren't that bad I guess but they played a bad set and played very quietly. Only a couple songs had that metal show energy.)

mankvill
07-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Besides deathcore bands:

Soilwork
System Divide
blessthefall
Alkaline Trio
Silversun Pickups

powerslave_85
07-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Alkaline Trio
They were boring the first time I saw them, but it was a supporting gig. The second time they were headlining and played for almost two hours, and it was fucking awesome.

metallicbrian666
07-15-2011, 04:46 PM
The Misfits (I could sing their songs better then Jerry Only, and they play way louder then necessary)

Thankfully I have never had to witness that bullshit. Jerry needs to just stop trying altogether and stick to making merch.

BloodoftheKings
07-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Thankfully I have never had to witness that bullshit. Jerry needs to just stop trying altogether and stick to making merch.

When they played Black Flag songs Dez sung them. I was thinking Dez should have just sang the whole set.

TonyD
07-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Metallica

IrritatedTrout
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Exodus - Seen 'em twice, awful both times. Mostly because of Dukes.
Meshuggah - Only headliner I've ever walked out on.
Iced Earth - The guys just didn't seem into it.
Deftones - :barf:

Maiden33
07-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh yeah, how in the blue fuck did I forget Dragonforce? Only headliner I've ever walked out on.

BloodoftheKings
07-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Oh yeah, how in the blue fuck did I forget Dragonforce? Only headliner I've ever walked out on.

They were pretty bad when I saw them, but they suck to begin with.

NecroRob
07-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Annotations of an Autopsy
Triosis (local band)

These are the only ones that really stick out as overtly offensive to music as a whole. There have been plenty of bands I've seen that I hated musically, but preformed good enough that they don't deserve to be mentioned here.

Also, I know its probably a little unfair to include a local band on this list, but holy ungodly fuck were they terrible. Seriously, go focus on school kids, cuz music ain't gonna be paying your bills anytime soon.

DethMaiden
07-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Mastodon. Seen 'em three times, but still.

Indestructible
07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Exodus - Seen 'em twice, awful both times. Mostly because of Dukes.

I saw them open for Megadeth on the RIP20 tour, and they weren't bad. Is Rob Dukes that much of a dick?

Never seen them live so I wouldn't know how they are. Mesuggah is awsome on CD. What exactly made you walk out on them?

Indestructible
07-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Saw them once in 2006 and they were fine. But everyone else I talk to about Dragonforce says they're bad live, I dont know why.

slapguitarer
07-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Protest The Hero (CAN)

:nonono:

IrritatedTrout
07-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I saw them open for Megadeth on the RIP20 tour, and they weren't bad. Is Rob Dukes that much of a dick?

Never seen them live so I wouldn't know how they are. Mesuggah is awsome on CD. What exactly made you walk out on them?

They just stood in one spot up until the halfway point of the set when I decided to leave. I could have put on a CD and gotten the exact same experience.

BloodoftheKings
07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
The one time I saw Exodus Rob Dukes flipped me off when I was in the front row. Later I met up with him towards the back after their set and he shook my hands and seemed pretty nice.

Akumu
07-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Holy Grail. I have never hated a live band as much as them.

Yeah, I couldn't pay any attention to them when they came around last year. The only part I remember was when Ville from Moonsorrow danced on-stage and screamed into the mic...

jd091
07-15-2011, 09:15 PM

you

you have got to be

FUCKING

kidding me.

ShatteredFlame
07-15-2011, 09:48 PM
The Cool Kids - rap group. They are actually not bad on CD, but live I felt like I was getting dumber as time went on.

Lamb of God - It was at MSG opening for Metallica, most Metallica fans were just flaming them because they sounded like complete shit.

Nachtmystium - Most disappointing. I figured they be awesome live but they skip a bunch of solos and just sound so bland. It pains me to listen to their music and imagine myself shouting every word along, but in reality their live performances are nothing like that.

Incantation - At MDF. I don't know what happened here. They sounded like complete shit, played sloppily, and no one moshed which is hilarious because it's MDF. It seems like everyone who witnessed this agrees it was awful, which is weird since this band gets rave reviews at any other show.

TesseracT - I don't even know. They played for like 40 minutes but my mind just blanked out. Nothing interesting whatsoever.

BloodoftheKings
07-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Lamb of God - It was at MSG opening for Metallica, most Metallica fans were just flaming them because they sounded like complete shit.

This

GarageMetal468
07-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Annotations of an Autopsy

Oh jesus I remember them... SO bad. I was facepalming the entire time.

Nachtmystium - Most disappointing. I figured they be awesome live but they skip a bunch of solos and just sound so bland. It pains me to listen to their music and imagine myself shouting every word along, but in reality their live performances are nothing like that.

Incantation - At MDF. I don't know what happened here. They sounded like complete shit, played sloppily, and no one moshed which is hilarious because it's MDF. It seems like everyone who witnessed this agrees it was awful, which is weird since this band gets rave reviews at any other show.

Forgot about Nachtmystium, they also bored me to shit when I saw them open for Kreator (of all bands... at least Kreator were amazing).

But Incantation, really? I saw them headline last November and they were awesome. Maybe they had an off day at MDF. And even though I wouldn't really mosh for them, there were a good amount of people moshing for them at the Chicago show. Kind of like Immolation, I'd rather be banging my head than moshing for them. DEM RIFFS

slapguitarer
07-15-2011, 09:58 PM
The Mars Volta
Converge
Distrubed (2011)

Hopefully TMV are good when I see them open for Soundgarden

larvtard
07-15-2011, 10:25 PM
The one time I saw Exodus Rob Dukes flipped me off when I was in the front row. Later I met up with him towards the back after their set and he shook my hands and seemed pretty nice.

:lol:

idrinkwine732
07-15-2011, 10:36 PM
The Mars Volta
Converge
Distrubed (2011)

Hopefully TMV are good when I see them open for Soundgarden

I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes that morning, but TMV are one of my favorite live bands I've seen.

Nick_to_the_face
07-15-2011, 10:42 PM
You didn't see them at Mayhem. ;)

I did at the first Mayhem :finger:

brutal_descent
07-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Besides deathcore bands:

Blessthefall
Silversun Pickups

no

christopher
07-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Ke$ha
Poison Idea
Ceremony
Bastard Noise

NickLed19
07-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Disturbed
Chevelle
Theory of a Deadman
New York Dolls-just awful
ZZ Top
Dream Theater....watched them open for Maiden and was really bored.

ravenheart
07-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Dream Theater....watched them open for Maiden and was really bored.

Doesn't count.

ravenheart
07-16-2011, 03:08 AM

I've seen them suck twice and be awesome once. Which means they've earned another chance.

They do tend to get let down by sound though.

Top of my head right now:

Slayer
Gregg Allman
Ozzy Osbourne

El Gordo
07-16-2011, 05:17 AM
Judas Priest: I've seen them twice and while I wouldn't say they were horrible, their live performances have definitely been a letdown.

Exodus: Only seen them once and that waste of space Steev from that waste of a band Skinlab was filling in on vocals so they definitely get another chance, but fuck they were bad.

Kreator: Both times I've seen them they were upstaged by their opening bands. Mille's vocals sounded horrible both times.

Yngwie Malmsteen: Almost fell asleep. Seriously.

illuminatus917
07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Gregg Allman

You've shattered my inner self.

...But I'm not surprised.

larvtard
07-16-2011, 10:29 AM
definitely NOT Origin :cool:

DementedX14
07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Atreyu
Belphegor
Blackguard
In This Moment (Worst thing I ever witness)
Mastodon
Skeletonwitch
Swashbuckle
Vital Remains
3 Inches of Blood

larvtard
07-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Oh yeah, Vital Remains.

Nick_to_the_face
07-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Skeletonwitch

WHAT

Sepultura69
07-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Immolation
Bonded By Blood
Megadeth

Nick_to_the_face
07-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Wow, has everyone really had a bad Megadeth experience?..mine was great..

jd091
07-16-2011, 11:46 AM
To be honest, I was very underwhelmed by Symphony X live. Immolation was also a little boring, too. And I saw Gov't Mule I almost fell asleep. :eyes: That's about it, though.

Nick_to_the_face
07-16-2011, 11:51 AM
My Winds of Plague experience was pretty fucking bad..

slapguitarer
07-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes that morning, but TMV are one of my favorite live bands I've seen.

I think it wasn't so much them, but the venue. Because when they played it was just a huge wall of noise for an hour. Just non-stop, loud noise. It didn't sound good.

GarageMetal468
07-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Immolation

You shut your whore mouth

Nick_to_the_face
07-16-2011, 01:08 PM
taking back sunday

daimonos
07-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Disturbed
Dawn of Ashes
Dimmu Borgir
Kingdom of Sorrow (They didn't have Kirk, though)
Halford
In This Moment

and Children of Bodom seemed boring the other night. I was kinda suprised.

brutal_descent
07-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Well, we've got quite a diverse list so far:

3 Inches of Blood (1)
Alkaline Trio (1)
Annotations of An Autopsy (2)
Anvil (1)
Atreyu (1)
Bastard Noise (1)
Belphegor (1)
Blackguard (1)
Blessthefall (1)
Bonded By Blood (1)
Cephalic Carnage (1)
Ceremony (1)
Chevelle (1)
Children of Bodom (1)
Converge (1)
Coroner (1)
Dark Empire (1)
Dark Tranquility (1)
Dawn of Ashes (2)
Deep Purple (1)
Deftones (1)
Dimmu Borgir (1)
Disturbed (4)
DragonForce (2)
Dream Theater (1)
Exodus (4)
Exploited (1)
Finntroll (3)
Godsmack (1)
Greg Allman (1)
Guns N' Roses (1)
Halford (1)
Holy Grail (1)
Iced Earth (1)
Immolation (1)
Incantation (1)
In This Moment (3)
Judas Priest (2)
Kamelot (1)
Kesha (1)
Kingdom of Sorrow (1)
Kreator (1)
Lamb of God (2)
Marduk (1)
Mars Volta (1)
Mastodon (2)
Megadeth (4)
Metallica (1)
Misfits (1)
Nachtmysium (2)
New York Dolls (1)
Ozzy Osbourne (1)
Poison Idea (1)
Protest The Hero (1)
Queensryche (1)
Silversun Pickups (1)
Skeletonwitch (1)
Slayer (2)
Smashing Pumpkins (1)
Soilwork (1)
Sonata Arctica (1)
Straight Line Stitch (1)
Suicide Silence (2)
Sum 41 (1)
Symphony X (1)
System Divide (1)
Taking Back Sunday (1)
Tesseract (1)
Theory of a Deadman (1)
Vital Remains (2)
Whitechapel (2)
Winds of Plague (1)
Yellowcard (1)
Yngwie Malmsteen (1)
ZZ Top (1)

jd091
07-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Well, we've got quite a diverse list so far:

3 Inches of Blood (1)
Alkaline Trio (1)
Belphegor (1)
Bonded By Blood (1)
Cephalic Carnage (1)
Converge (1)
Coroner (1)
Dark Tranquility (1)
Deep Purple (1)
Deftones (1)
Dream Theater (1)
Exodus (4)
Finntroll (3)
Incantation (1)
Judas Priest (2)
Kamelot (1)
Kreator (1)
Lamb of God (2)
Mars Volta (1)
Mastodon (2)
Megadeth (4)
Metallica (1)
Misfits (1)
Nachtmysium (2)
Protest The Hero (1)
Silversun Pickups (1)
Skeletonwitch (1)
Slayer (2)
Smashing Pumpkins (1)
Soilwork (1)
Sonata Arctica (1)
Straight Line Stitch (1)
Tesseract (1)
Vital Remains (2)
ZZ Top (1)

Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me. ESPECIALLY the ones in bold.

DethMaiden
07-16-2011, 02:29 PM
He's tallying everyone's, I think.

And I saw Mastodon live three times, each of which were like 75% solid but had something so egregiously awful/drunk/stupid/primadonna-ish from one Mr. Brent Hinds that it ruined the set.

Indestructible
07-16-2011, 02:36 PM
ZZ Top

What was wrong with ZZ Top?

jd091
07-16-2011, 02:42 PM
And I saw Mastodon live three times, each of which were like 75% solid but had something so egregiously awful/drunk/stupid/primadonna-ish from one Mr. Brent Hinds that it ruined the set.

Yeah, when I saw them, Brent yelled out "BOATS 'N HOES" on the mic right before every song. :D

Dextrimental
07-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Slayer can be really all over the shop, I've seen them 3 times, once was amazing, once was ok, and the last time sucked.. They are truly unpredictable on quality.

Jon Oliva's Pain

larvtard
07-16-2011, 03:16 PM
both times I saw Mastodon, they didn't say anything :eyes:

slapguitarer
07-16-2011, 03:33 PM
both times I saw Mastodon, they didn't say anything :eyes:

Yeah. Pretty much every time I've seen Mastodon, the only thing they said was thanks after they were done.

Maiden33
07-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Jon Oliva's Pain

Why? I saw them twice and can't register a single complaint.

idrinkwine732
07-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah. Pretty much every time I've seen Mastodon, the only thing they said was thanks after they were done.

Not at Missing Link.

Troy tried to appease the increasingly concerned crowd after Brent stormed off.

DethMaiden
07-16-2011, 06:01 PM
I swear if they fired him and John Baizley started pulling double duty Mastodon would release their best album and have their best tour.

Triggz
07-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Nevermore and Chelsea Grin are the two biggest ones that come to my mind.

Mind you, I like both of those bands ON ALBUM.

treghet
07-16-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm just curious, as a fan what do you think of Chelsea Grin's new album?

EDIT: To keep this post on topic... Oceano was the absolute worst band I've seen, but in terms of actual metal, the most disappointing band would probably be Decapitated.

slapguitarer
07-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Not at Missing Link.

Troy tried to appease the increasingly concerned crowd after Brent stormed off.

That's why I said "pretty much every time". Either way, I don't really remember Troy talking at all, but that might be because I want to forget that incident ever happened.

Indestructible
07-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Rob Zombie and Green Day.

Triggz
07-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm just curious, as a fan what do you think of Chelsea Grin's new album?

EDIT: To keep this post on topic... Oceano was the absolute worst band I've seen, but in terms of actual metal, the most disappointing band would probably be Decapitated.

I actually have yet to listen to it. May as well do it now.

MPF
07-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I can't afford to see bands that suck. So sans local bands I've played shows with, I haven't seen a band that sucks live.

jd091
07-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Me being the Deathcore fan that I am, I though Chelsea Grin was very "meh" on record. They're just emulating Suicide Silence and Whitechapel. Eh.

But live, I thought they were really entertaining, surprisingly! I was sitting back, and watching from the side bar at the house of Blues, but they got the crowd going really well. And I don't know, sometime those mindless breakdowns are fun to see live for me, and just see people do stupid moshing and slamming hard. ;)

jd091
07-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Rob Zombie

dude, Rob Zombie is the shit live, and I'm not even a fan of his!

Dextrimental
07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Why? I saw them twice and can't register a single complaint.

Mix was terrible, Jon himself's voice was in bad shape and they just were thoroughly unconvincing live. Bear in mind this was on the main stage at a festival in blistering heat and I amen't a fan of power/power-prog music as a whole. For my one experience, he was one of the worst bands I've seen live.

larvtard
07-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I swear if they fired him and John Baizley started pulling double duty Mastodon would release their best album and have their best tour.

I think you said that in the Missing Link thread :lol:

And I disagree, for the record. Brent Hinds is the face of Mastodon. Mastodon wouldn't have any good riffs without him anyway.

Maiden33
07-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Mix was terrible, Jon himself's voice was in bad shape and they just were thoroughly unconvincing live. Bear in mind this was on the main stage at a festival in blistering heat and I amen't a fan of power/power-prog music as a whole. For my one experience, he was one of the worst bands I've seen live.

Well, if you're not even a Savatage fan in the first place, I can understand how JOP doesn't have too much to offer. Even though I've never been to one, based on videos/feedback I've seen, they're generally one of the worst ways to judge how good a band is live. As proof of this, Ravenheart thinks Primal Fear sucks live, which just blows my mind as I thought both shows I saw were incredible.

Also it does sort of suck that Jon is behind the keyboard the majority of the show, largely because of his weight (also now because they've lost John Zahner). I mean I could care less because to me that's basically where Jon belongs, and I think that even sitting behind the keys, he gives a stronger performance than many frontmen with the freedom to walk around.

jd091
07-16-2011, 07:36 PM
I think you said that in the Missing Link thread :lol:

And I disagree, for the record. Brent Hinds is the face of Mastodon. Mastodon wouldn't have any good riffs without him anyway.

I half agree. Bill is a sick player too, and comes up with almost all the harmony parts. But you would be lacking the crazy chicken' pickin' without Brent!

JRA
07-16-2011, 08:32 PM
The face of Mastodon has always been either Brann or Troy.

christopher
07-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Dragonforce is terrible live

Dextrimental
07-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Well, if you're not even a Savatage fan in the first place, I can understand how JOP doesn't have too much to offer. Even though I've never been to one, based on videos/feedback I've seen, they're generally one of the worst ways to judge how good a band is live. As proof of this, Ravenheart thinks Primal Fear sucks live, which just blows my mind as I thought both shows I saw were incredible.

Also it does sort of suck that Jon is behind the keyboard the majority of the show, largely because of his weight (also now because they've lost John Zahner). I mean I could care less because to me that's basically where Jon belongs, and I think that even sitting behind the keys, he gives a stronger performance than many frontmen with the freedom to walk around.

Well that's the thing, I am sure indoors and in his own show, in his own element, he is a quality performer, but his set that day just really didn't sell it to me at all at all.

Actually, what would you recommend by him? I'm gonna be honest and say I gave Avantasia a shot because of your recommendations and I love it, so I will give old Jon a chance based off your personal choice and see if I dig it for future reference!

mankvill
07-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Dragonforce is terrible live

not anymoooooore

christopher
07-16-2011, 10:58 PM
not anymoooooore

Since when? I saw them once, possibly for Mayhem fest, not sure and they sounded terrible.

Oh Necrophagist and Ensiferum are terrible as well

mankvill
07-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Since when? I saw them once, possibly for Mayhem fest, not sure and they sounded terrible.

Fall 2009 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11417)

They kicked serious dick. So good. <3

also fuck off necrophagist rules >:

christopher
07-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Fall 2009 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11417)

They kicked serious dick. So good. <3

also fuck off necrophagist rules >:

I love Necrophagist on cd, I saw them twice on Summer Slaughter and I couldn't stand them. Seeing them live just isn't for me.

MetalIsArt
07-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Type o negative, Graspop 2007 (I just walked out: bad sound, a totally uninterested Peter)

Dark Tranquillity (or what's it's spelled) (Graspop 2005 or 2006, awful sound, walked out)

Sonata Arctica

treghet
07-17-2011, 02:00 AM

If you're going off of Ensiferum's Summer Slaughter performance, then I can see where you're coming from. They were really awkward and lifeless on stage and it seemed like they didn't want to be there. It didn't help that people in the crowd were yelling that they suck. But on the Finntroll tour they were fucking awesome. Completely changed my opinion.

NecroRob
07-17-2011, 02:07 AM
But on the Finntroll tour they were fucking awesome. Completely changed my opinion.

:fist:

bt11763
07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I only saw PTH once, and granted it was at warped tour, but it was fucking great...

mastodon421
07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
I've seen quite a few, but here are the absolute worst...
Emmure(by far the worst live band I've ever seen)
Architects
Dragonforce
Carnifex
Shipwreck A.D
Artist Vs Poet
Underoath
Black Tide
Trivium
In This Moment

and Obituary is by far the biggest disapointment.

Nick_to_the_face
07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Trivium is great live, you trippin' son.
Also I saw Underoath live, they suck but I thought their performance was good

NickLed19
07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
How is ITM bad live?

mastodon421
07-17-2011, 02:01 PM
How is ITM bad live?

Maria Brink is a shitty singer and their performance is just really dull.

christopher
07-17-2011, 02:19 PM
If you're going off of Ensiferum's Summer Slaughter performance, then I can see where you're coming from. They were really awkward and lifeless on stage and it seemed like they didn't want to be there. It didn't help that people in the crowd were yelling that they suck. But on the Finntroll tour they were fucking awesome. Completely changed my opinion.

Well I saw them before the summer slaughter when they played with Amon Amarth. I can't judge them for that show either cause I was extremely pumped to see Belphegor. I got in to find out HOB Disneyland wouldn't let them play, so I was bummed the rest of the show, so I didn't enjoy anything.

Nick_to_the_face
07-17-2011, 02:47 PM
ONE MORE.
I don't know if anyone knows who they are but Saint Diablo...they suck so bad..

DethMaiden
07-17-2011, 03:06 PM
I've seen quite a few, but here are the absolute worst...
Emmure(by far the worst live band I've ever seen)

I thought they were hilarious live. The music was bad, but we knew that going in. Their ridiculousness more than made the set worth my time.

mastodon421
07-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I thought they were hilarious live. The music was bad, but we knew that going in. Their ridiculousness more than made the set worth my time.

Really? I've seen them twice and both times I wanted to get on stage and beat the shit of them:lol:.

DethMaiden
07-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Really? I've seen them twice and both times I wanted to get on stage and beat the shit of them:lol:.

If I was in a mood to be annoyed I'm sure I would have felt that way, but I went in knowing what they were about and just laughed my ass off.

I actually got dinner with the drummer before the show and he's an incredibly nice guy. Guessing the singer isn't. ;)

Ape
07-17-2011, 05:09 PM
emmure duh
deftones takes tops as biggest disappointment ever live
five finger death punch still dont understand why people like them.

i wouldnt say disturbed sucks live but if you have seen them once you have seen them a thousand times. after the first time it just gets really boring

jd091
07-17-2011, 05:32 PM
If I was in a mood to be annoyed I'm sure I would have felt that way, but I went in knowing what they were about and just laughed my ass off.

I actually got dinner with the drummer before the show and he's an incredibly nice guy. Guessing the singer isn't. ;)

THANOS!

One of the funniest articles I have ever read. (http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/02/18/a-track-by-track-breakdown-of-frankie-palmeris-track-by-track-breakdown-of-the-new-emmure-album/)

I actually haven't seen them live yet, but I bet I'd probably have fun if I stood back and just watched the crowd as a whole. Thanos seems like he'd be a funny frontman to watch!

jd091
07-17-2011, 05:33 PM

Actually, I had a lot of fun watching them live. Their music doesn't do anything for me, but they put on a good show. They had at least 100 people crowdsurfing at once, too, which was cool to watch.

masterguy49
07-17-2011, 05:38 PM
emmure duh
deftones takes tops as biggest disappointment ever live

i wouldnt say disturbed sucks live but if you have seen them once you have seen them a thousand times. after the first time it just gets really boring

HOW!? As a fan of their music, I do not get that.
Every time I've seen them, they have been perfect.

llama lom
07-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Disturbed and Mastodon. For Disturbed I sat down and waited for Slipknot so that was a huge bore for me, and Mastodon I watched for five minutes then left because I was so bored.

jd091
07-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Mastodon I watched for five minutes then left because I was so bored.

what the fuck did I just read

slapguitarer
07-17-2011, 06:03 PM

This

masterguy49
07-17-2011, 06:04 PM

He probably only saw them on Mayhem 08, which I saw them and while I did not know their music at the time, their show was very bland and boring. Barely belonged their anyways.

llama lom
07-17-2011, 07:05 PM
He probably only saw them on Mayhem 08, which I saw them and while I did not know their music at the time, their show was very bland and boring. Barely belonged their anyways.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

slapguitarer
07-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I actually really liked their show at Mayhem 08. It's what made me look 'em up and buy their music. But I could see why somebody wouldn't enjoy it.

jd091
07-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Mastodon were the first band I ever liked who "screamed" in their music. I remember listening to the radio at like, 1:00 in the morning way back in the day, and the local rock station was talking with them. Leviathan was coming out in a couple weeks, I believe. They played one of their songs next, I forget which one... and I was forever changed. :lovedup: It was just twice as heavy and crazy and evil as anything Metallica ever put out.

slapguitarer
07-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Mastodon were the first band I ever liked who "screamed" in their music. I remember listening to the radio at like, 1:00 in the morning way back in the day, and the local rock station was talking with them. Leviathan was coming out in a couple weeks, I believe. They played one of their songs next, I forget which one... and I was forever changed. :lovedup: It was just twice as heavy and crazy and evil as anything Metallica ever put out.

I know what you mean. They weren't the first band I listened to that screamed or anything of that sort, but I just loved how much energy the music had. It was so heavy and fast. When I heard them play Iron Tusk, I was floored. July 12th, 2008 was the day my life changed forever :lovedup:

evildeadjedi
07-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Same here :confused:

Ape
07-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Everything about the set they played when I saw them sucked. The singer was drugged up the instruments were everywhere and I left feeling confused with a headache from listening to the dude attempt to sing.

masterguy49
07-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Everything about the set they played when I saw them sucked. The singer was drugged up the instruments were everywhere and I left feeling confused with a headache from listening to the dude attempt to sing.

Well I don't know when you saw them, but they are definitely not like that anymore!

Ape
07-18-2011, 10:34 PM
It was so bad I still have no desire to see them again.

w00tasaurus
07-19-2011, 05:15 AM
I've never had to really sit through a bad band, only one would probably be Threat Signal before Dark Tranquillity. Oh, and of course the bands during summer slaughter like winds of plague and born of osiris but I left the venue for most of them thankfully.

People saying Finntroll was bad, I actually thought their live show was awesome.

masterguy49
07-19-2011, 08:19 AM
It was so bad I still have no desire to see them again.

That's unfortunate, but I understand.

The Colonel
07-19-2011, 11:55 AM
If I were to include bands that are just horrible in general that I've seen this list would never end. I'll just include bands that I actually like that were weak live.

Nevermore. Saw them 3 times, first two times were awful. Saw them a third time opening for Megadeth after Warrel sobered up and they were awesome. Bums me out that I won't get to see that lineup again.

Type O Negative. Saw them open for Danzig and it seemed like they wasted too much of an already short set by drawing their songs out and playing too slow. Saw them again as a headliner years later and they played sloppily and just didn't seem to care.

Hate Eternal. So fucking boring. Saw them twice, the second time was so boring I literally fell asleep.

Queensryche. Once opening for Maiden, once for Priest. Both times had lame setlists and uninspired performances.

Hammerfall. Too many drawn out crowd participation parts. Weak setlist.

Aborted. Saw them twice around the time of Archaic Abbatoir and they were great, but after their many lineup changes I saw them again and they sounded awful. They even made their old material sound like lame deathcore.

Also, anyone who included Immolation is insane. One of the best live death metal bands out there.

mastodon421
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I forgot about Marilyn Manson when I made my first post. Easily the worst headliner I've ever seen. His performance at Mayhem was completely half-assed and just shy of a trainwreck.

Natrlhi
07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
you

you have got to be

FUCKING

kidding me.
Don't listen to fishboy on this one. I respect his opinions on some other stuff (hell, I even bought a few used CD's from him once!), but obviously he's just not a Meshuggah fan. It's as simple as that. No Meshuggah fan that I have ever met has said that they are anything but brutally fucking heavy and awesome live. None. Ever.

The only complaint I've ever had about a Meshuggah set was when they opened for Ministry on the C U La Tour, and the complaint is simply that Meshuggah didn't play for long enough because they weren't the headliner (i.e., not really a complaint at all, other than me wanting MORE).

Meshuggah don't move around the stage much because they're not spastic fuckers like Converge (who I like, for the record), or some stupid mallcore band that has to do somersaults or shout out a bunch of tough guy shit to entertain the crowd because their music sucks balls. They stay put (in general) simply because that's their thing.

Jens, however, is usually fairly animated - so he at least adds some movement to the proceedings, but Meshuggah isn't a fucking circus act - they are a crushingly heavy band of alien beings from another galaxy who will confuse and bewilder your mind and crush your pitiful little fucking skull into dust. That's who Meshuggah are. They don't fucking need to do cartwheels to earn your respect, and in fact, they don't even care about having your respect in the first place. They are awesome, and they know it. Your opinion of them is irrelevant.

Meshuggah is awesome live. Period. End of story.

If you disagree, you're either a fan who has had a random bad experience, or you were never a fan in the first place (and will probably never be).

[/rant]

:soapbox:

powerslave_85
07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
If you didn't see Queensryche when they were doing all of Operation: Mindcrime, you just shouldn't bother.

IrritatedTrout
07-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Don't listen to fishboy on this one. I respect his opinions on some other stuff (hell, I even bought a few used CD's from him once!), but obviously he's just not a Meshuggah fan. It's as simple as that. No Meshuggah fan that I have ever met has said that they are anything but brutally fucking heavy and awesome live. None. Ever.

The only complaint I've ever had about a Meshuggah set was when they opened for Ministry on the C U La Tour, and the complaint is simply that Meshuggah didn't play for long enough because they weren't the headliner (i.e., not really a complaint at all, other than me wanting MORE).

Meshuggah don't move around the stage much because they're not spastic fuckers like Converge (who I like, for the record), or some stupid mallcore band that has to do somersaults or shout out a bunch of tough guy shit to entertain the crowd because their music sucks balls. They stay put (in general) simply because that's their thing.

Jens, however, is usually fairly animated - so he at least adds some movement to the proceedings, but Meshuggah isn't a fucking circus act - they are a crushingly heavy band of alien beings from another galaxy who will confuse and bewilder your mind and crush your pitiful little fucking skull into dust. That's who Meshuggah are. They don't fucking need to do cartwheels to earn your respect, and in fact, they don't even care about having your respect in the first place. They are awesome, and they know it. Your opinion of them is irrelevant.

Meshuggah is awesome live. Period. End of story.

If you disagree, you're either a fan who has had a random bad experience, or you were never a fan in the first place (and will probably never be).

[/rant]

:soapbox:

:blah:

;)

I'll admit that I did think their performance of Bleed was good.

MetalIsArt
07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Channel Zero at Graspop Metal Meeting 2010.

Overly long intro, useless black smoke, bad vocals, over the top confidence.

makethemsuffer12
07-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Rose Funeral
Anvil
In This Moment

All I could think of at the moment.

AnataFan4Life
07-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Rose Funeral were awful, but everyone knows that.

Some band called Tweak Bird opened for Tool and they were terrible.

MetalIsArt
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Rose Funeral
Anvil
In This Moment

All I could think of at the moment.

Like I said, there's a reason that Anvil never made it past 1983 lol.

Addicted2metal
07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Korn
Stilwell
Neon Trees
New Politics

Butcher of Birth
07-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Sum 41 I just recently saw over the summer and they were good. Overall I would say a band I like that was just "boring" to watch live was Bodom. They just stood around, playing, and that was it. More so Alexi than any other member just looked to be going through the motions of playing the songs. If you closed your eyes and listened to them they were great, but that's half the show gone right...

hellawaits77ny
08-25-2011, 01:55 AM

Aborted. Saw them twice around the time of Archaic Abbatoir and they were great, but after their many lineup changes I saw them again and they sounded awful. They even made their old material sound like lame deathcore.

:eek: YouTube clips?

Statutory-Mike
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Ceremony

you're no longer allowed to live

OraclesofAgony
08-30-2011, 01:33 AM
This has probably been addressed many times already but:

*insert deathcore band here*

christopher
08-30-2011, 02:27 AM

They were terrible. I enjoy some of their music, but they played nothing but their slow songs live. I was bored out of my mind.

MetalIsArt
08-30-2011, 02:47 AM

:confused::hecho: