PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater/Trivium Tour?

gilpdawg
07-15-2011, 02:59 AM
FF to the 5:40 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKbFvwFYKSc&feature=share

zerkz
07-15-2011, 04:55 AM
This could be interesting. I could attend. Perfect way to get physical/mosh and than relax during Dream Theater.

Dissimulate
07-15-2011, 05:06 AM
This could be interesting. I could attend. Perfect way to get physical/mosh and than relax during Dream Theater.
I'd go for Dream Theater regardless of who else is on the bill, but I have to say this is a strange choice for an opening act. The last time they toured NA they had a bunch of prog bands opening for them. Trivium seem like a band that doesn't share many fans with DT, but choosing them might be intentional for that reason.

Anyone else wish that Dream Theater would go back to An Evening With, even if they don't rotate the setlist?

jd091
07-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Agree with Dissimulate, I don't think the two have many crossover fans. I would definitely go though, especially if DT keeps up those epic sets they've been doing recently! :D

Maidenmagic
07-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Yes, I agree. I love DT and I tried listening to Trivium (Including that new song about eight wives or something) and they REALLY don't appeal to me. At all. If they were opening, I would have to wait out in the lobby.

Sanitarium78
07-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Well, that sucks. There was talk after the last tour that Dream Theater was gonna go back to the evening with format this year. I still hope they decide to do that again at some point. Besides Rush and Dream Theater, there aren't too many other bands out there whose music is perfectly made for an evening with format.

I mean come on, if Weird Al can do and evening with i'm sure DT can:D

mastodon421
07-15-2011, 07:05 AM
lol @ this pairing.

ravenheart
07-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Anyone else wish that Dream Theater would go back to An Evening With, even if they don't rotate the setlist?

I thought they said that was exactly what they were going to do.

makethemsuffer12
07-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes, I agree. I love DT and I tried listening to Trivium (Including that new song about eight wives or something) and they REALLY don't appeal to me. At all. If they were opening, I would have to wait out in the lobby.

Don't judge them from "In Waves." Give Shogun a shot.

But yea, this pairing is weird as fuck. I would fall into the category of people who are a fan of both, so this will be pretty cool, but I can't see DT's fanbase being very accepting of Trivium.

jd091
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
To be honest, I'd rather see DT do an "evening with" tour, and then see Trivium do their own headlining tour on another date. Both excellent bands, but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy them together.

slapguitarer
07-15-2011, 02:31 PM
:barf:

brutal_descent
07-15-2011, 02:32 PM
:barf:

/my face when we heard matt heafy say it

MPF
07-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Alrighty then...

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??? ??

Maiden33
07-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Well, this is what happens when you let your label make your decisions for you. Son of a bitch.

MPF
07-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Well, this is what happens when you let your label make your decisions for you. Son of a bitch.

*Insert, this wouldn't have happened if Portnoy was still in the band rant*

Nah, it probably would have happened anyways.

Maiden33
07-15-2011, 03:17 PM
*Insert, this wouldn't have happened if Portnoy was still in the band rant*

Nah, it probably would have happened anyways.

Truth be told, even if it was one of Portnoy's random bands, I probably would like them about equally as little. The upside is that unlike Trivium, they wouldn't draw in their own legions of fans I can't stand, haha.

MPF
07-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Truth be told, even if it was one of Portnoy's random bands, I probably would like them about equally as little. The upside is that unlike Trivium, they wouldn't draw in their own legions of fans I can't stand, haha.

Very good point.

Since Dream theater is taking Metalcore turned nearly Deathcore bands on tour. I'm just going to hold hope for the Symphony X/Pagan's Mind tour that I've been wanting for a long time!

jd091
07-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Very good point.

Since Dream theater is taking Metalcore turned nearly Deathcore bands on tour. I'm just going to hold hope for the Symphony X/Pagan's Mind tour that I've been wanting for a long time!

You don't like Trivium?

larvtard
07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
You don't like Trivium?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say... no.

MPF
07-15-2011, 05:45 PM
I like some Trivium, not enough to call myself a fan, nor a fan of the idea they are going on tour with my favorite band. There are much better, more appropriate bands that DT could be going on tour with, not a band that is not bordering on Deathcore.

DementedX14
07-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Sounds intersting, if this comes to Chicago I will check it out.

llama lom
07-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Well this is an...........odd pairing.

The_jman
07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
wtf at this pairing.

since when is trivium deathcore?

makethemsuffer12
07-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I like some Trivium, not enough to call myself a fan, nor a fan of the idea they are going on tour with my favorite band. There are much better, more appropriate bands that DT could be going on tour with, not a band that is not bordering on Deathcore.

Not even remotely close.

MPF
07-15-2011, 09:15 PM
From the album trailer they released. I'm hearing a lot of breakdowns....a lot of breakdowns. I don't like it.

makethemsuffer12
07-15-2011, 09:17 PM
From the album trailer they released. I'm hearing a lot of breakdowns....a lot of breakdowns. I don't like it.

There really isn't that much in terms of breakdowns. And breakdowns =/= deathcore. It's metalcore. Plain and simple.

maidenpriest
07-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Odd pairing for sure. Will definitely go for DT headlining. Need dates!

jd091
07-15-2011, 09:49 PM

MPF, my friend, come on! Metalcore is famous for breakdowns, and Trivium barely has any even by metalcore standards.

Axis_Of_Metal
07-16-2011, 11:37 PM
I wonder if at some point, did the guys in Dream Theater ever say "Trivium would be great to tour with" Who thought of this?

Dextrimental
07-16-2011, 11:44 PM
I wonder if at some point, did the guys in Dream Theater ever say "Trivium would be great to tour with" Who thought of this?

Roadrunner. I would guarantee, since Mike isn't in the band, Roadrunner now have more control over the touring side of things.

It makes ALOT of sense, get an incredibly fashionable younger band into bigger venues with an all new audience, and get an older band a bunch of new kids to play to. Both are releasing new albums, as such both fanbases will be incredibly eager to see them live.

Steev
07-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Roadrunner. I would guarantee, since Mike isn't in the band, Roadrunner now have more control over the touring side of things.

It makes ALOT of sense, get an incredibly fashionable younger band into bigger venues with an all new audience, and get an older band a bunch of new kids to play to. Both are releasing new albums, as such both fanbases will be incredibly eager to see them live.

This

Also years ago I talked to Matt at a show and he said DT was one of their top choices for a tour

and I think Mike wasn't a factor, he was the one getting more metal bands on their tours in recent years(which was better exposure for them)

Shadowswillfall414
07-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I like this pairing... Since I missed dream theater last time they came (which pissed me off!) And triviums probably one of my favorite bands, I might check this out.

Axis_Of_Metal
07-17-2011, 05:46 PM
The actual shows will just be too much of a mix. I saw DT on Prog Nation couple years ago and the crowd was full of older people. I get the whole idea of opening to a new fan base, it just won't flow very well, everything I have said is obvious but it just boggles my mind

llama lom
07-17-2011, 05:56 PM

I get what you're saying, but I mean, do you really think most DT fans are going to enjoy Trivium? It might work the other way, which is probably how it'll work out, but I don't think it'll be that successful. Plus if Trivium has a new album I would assume they'd want their own headlining tour.

I get the whole idea of opening to a new fan base, it just won't flow very well, everything I have said is obvious but it just boggles my mind

This.

jd091
07-17-2011, 06:27 PM
I get what you're saying, but I mean, do you really think most DT fans are going to enjoy Trivium? It might work the other way, which is probably how it'll work out, but I don't think it'll be that successful. Plus if Trivium has a new album I would assume they'd want their own headlining tour.

Yeah, most Trivium fans probably have listened to Dream Theater at some point and loved them. Hell most metal fans in general have. Great band. But I can totally see how DT fans would hate Trivium.

Nick
07-24-2011, 07:37 PM
http://www.893wumd.org/inside_line.php

DT and Trivium in Boston on October 10th.

AnthG
07-24-2011, 08:42 PM

While i'm sure this tour would be good for the reasons you're saying, Trivium's been on bigger tours supporting bands that are bigger than Dream Theater in big arenas and amphitheatres and stuff.

Also, I think people make too big a deal of different types of bands touring together. I've been to a few shows where bands that would seem to have fanbases clash would tour together, only to see it working rather well. I remember when Manson and Slayer toured together in 2007, people were flipping out about the clash of their fanbases, but at the show I went to (at least on the lawn), the vast majority of people were into both bands. I mean, i'm sure if Slipknot/coheed and Cambria, Devildriver/Cancer Bats, and Korn/Evanescence pairings can work, then a Trivium/Dream Theater pairing can work.

imanidiot777
07-25-2011, 05:12 AM
This isn't any more or less wierd than Black Label Society, Children of Bodom, and Clutch. I went to that show and it was plenty entertaining so may as well go to this one and see what happens.

makethemsuffer12
07-25-2011, 06:56 AM
This isn't any more or less wierd than Black Label Society, Children of Bodom, and Clutch. I went to that show and it was plenty entertaining so may as well go to this one and see what happens.

Disagree. Maybe because of Clutch, but I'd say BLS and Bodom definitely share some fans. Also, I don't think any of the fans of those bands despised the other bands on the bill for the most part, which I'm sure is going to be the case for DT fans on Trivium.

brutal_descent
07-27-2011, 08:16 PM
September 24th - The Warfield, San Francisco CA

Dream Theater headlining.

slapguitarer
07-27-2011, 08:29 PM

My friend is going to that.

makethemsuffer12
07-27-2011, 11:33 PM

Well...duh.

Sanitarium78
07-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Seriously? I thought they would rotate every other night with Trivium:tp:

Dissimulate
07-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Maybe Trivium will get booed off the stage? I'd pay to see that.

velvetgrass
07-28-2011, 04:14 PM
i'm sure if Slipknot/coheed and Cambria, Devildriver/Cancer Bats, and Korn/Evanescence pairings can work, then a Trivium/Dream Theater pairing can work.

And since the Dillinger Escape Plan/Deftones pairing worked, i'm pretty sure this tour would also work fine.

kommie
07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Seriously? I thought they would rotate every other night with Trivium:tp:

dream theater have their heads far too up their own asses to, god forbid, co-headline with someone who isn't even prog.

jd091
07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
dream theater have their heads far too up their own asses to, god forbid, co-headline with someone who isn't even prog.

God Forbid is actually a great band! Too bad they're not around anymore. ;)

Steev
07-28-2011, 06:15 PM

They're still around, they just don't tour much anymore

jd091
07-28-2011, 06:24 PM
They're still around, they just don't tour much anymore

Pretty sure they're on permanent hiatus so the guys can hold down real jobs. I don't know I'd they'll ever really come back.

Steev
07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Pretty sure they're on permanent hiatus so the guys can hold down real jobs. I don't know I'd they'll ever really come back.

Saw them in October and they were working on new material and a new label, I know Doc also just picked up an endorsement with Jackson

masterguy49
07-28-2011, 08:36 PM

I saw god forbid when I didnt know their music, but all I know is their drummer threw beer all over be when i was 12 :tongue:

hellawaits77ny
07-28-2011, 08:39 PM

I didn't know that :eek:

AnthG
07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
They're recording a new album at the moment. Which is awesome, because God Forbid >>>>>>> Trivium and Dream Theater

makethemsuffer12
07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
They're recording a new album at the moment. Which is awesome, because God Forbid >>>>>>> Trivium and Dream Theater

I like God Forbid but...no.

AnthG
07-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Oh but yes my friend.

And before people get their panties in a twist, i'm trolling a little bit. Although I do genuninely like God Forbid far more than Trivium or Dream Theater.

mastodon421
07-29-2011, 04:19 AM

They recorded a new album. They just need to find a record label to release it.

edit: AnthG I agree. I only like God Forbid marginally more than I like Dream Theater. But they are 10000000000000x time better than Trivium.

Sanitarium78
07-29-2011, 06:34 AM

Or co-headline with a band who hasen't been around as long or gained as big of a following as Dream Theater has.

I was being a wise ass with my comment. This is Dream Theaters tour and there's now way in hell it should be a co-headlining tour.

tteotd666
07-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Watched an interview with corey from trivium, and he said they will be on a tour in september-october with a few bands in the states, then another states tour with a band on their label. he said people were questioning the combo. so this tour is basically a-go

street_burial
07-30-2011, 09:45 PM
asked them today and they are definitely doing a 1 1/2 month tour starting next month with dream theater

PlaysWithKnives
07-30-2011, 10:00 PM
yeah, that's a weird tour combo. DT should just do the evening with format again.

300%_Density
07-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Sadly I wonder how I will get screwed in this b/c I love DT and still haven't seen them. I wonder A) would I get lucky enough to see them but w/ Trivium & find out that next year they will do the "A" markets and do an evening w/ and I'll lose out on that. B)no dates w/ Trivium near me and find out I would still lose out on an evening w/ later on next year. C)no Trivium dates and next year they do evening w/ tours but all of them are in Europe. I'm steeped in anticipation!!!

Maidenmagic
07-31-2011, 06:16 AM
They need to go ahead and announce the dates already.

brutal_descent
07-31-2011, 12:50 PM
We've got another date.

10/11 Morristown, NJ - Mayo Center For The Performing Arts

Now it's at two dates.

09/24 San Francisco, CA - The Warfield

makethemsuffer12
07-31-2011, 12:56 PM
We've got another date.

Hmmmm. I hope they do something a little closer, but it's not that far away so I would be up for the trip.

hellawaits77ny
07-31-2011, 09:27 PM
10/10 - Boston, MA @ Orpheum Theatre

300%_Density
07-31-2011, 10:26 PM
God I hope the ticket prices are closer to the Boston show ($33-43) than the SF show ($47.50-62.50). Boston show is w/ ticketbastard fees but SF show didn't show if that was included w/ fee or not. Just happy to see that floor/pit area is still GA. Still need the DT fans to get pissy w/ kids who mosh during Trivium. Sure can't see that being a problem.

Or for a cool $275 you can do the DT VIP. No thank you.

GarageMetal468
08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Sept. 24 San Francisco, CA The Warfield (with Trivium)
Sept. 2 5Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theater (with Trivium)
Sept. 27 Seattle, WA Showbox SODO (with Trivium)
Sept. 28 Vancouver, BC Queen Elizabeth Theatre (with Trivium)
Oct. 3 Royal Oak, MI Royal Oak Music Theatre
Oct. 4 Pittsburgh, PA Trib Total Media Amphitheatre (with Trivium)
Oct. 6 Toronto, ON Massey Hall (with Trivium)
Oct. 7 Montreal, QC Place des Arts (with Trivium)
Oct. 8 Quebec City, QC Pavilion de la Jeunesse (with Trivium)
Oct. 10 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre (with Trivium)
Oct. 11 Morristown, NJ Mayo Performing Arts Center (with Trivium)
Oct. 12 New York, NY Beacon Theatre (with Trivium)
Oct. 22 Cleawater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall
Oct 25 Houston, TX Verizon Wireless Theater (with Trivium)
Oct. 26 Austin, TX Bass Concert Hall (with Trivium)

Nothing around IL just yet, there's more to be announced soon. For some reason I'm not really excited about this but whatever

DementedX14
08-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Nothing around IL just yet, there's more to be announced soon. For some reason I'm not really excited about this but whatever

It looks like it would have to take place in the beginning the October.

larvtard
08-01-2011, 09:35 AM
For some reason I'm not really excited about this

Trivium?

moobys37
08-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Dream Theater hasn't played a headline show here since 2003. If it's affordable I'll go.

makethemsuffer12
08-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm so at the NYC show.

MPF
08-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Not all the dates have Trivium. So hold hope. There could be an actual good band opening for those dates.

Maiden33
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Horrible timing for this for me, and tickets at some shows are absurdly expensive. At the moment, I doubt I'm going.

makethemsuffer12
08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Not all the dates have Trivium. So hold hope. There could be an actual good band opening for those dates.

:finger2:

masterguy49
08-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Trivium is opening every date.... except their home state. What the shit

Maidenmagic
08-01-2011, 10:52 AM
God I hope they announce more dates. They probably won't though.

GarageMetal468
08-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Trivium?
Just the whole tour in general. I saw Dream Theater last year with Iron Maiden anyway. And yeah, I'm not a Trivium fan at all either.

God I hope they announce more dates. They probably won't though.

They're going to for sure.

Maidenmagic
08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah I went to their website and read that they would announce more dates soon. I thought I had edited my post but apparently I didn't. Hopefully there is a New Orleans date but I doubt it.

xskizzelzx90x
08-01-2011, 02:43 PM

not gonna lie, Im pleasantly surprised pittsburgh has a date. but really the ampitheatre? ugh trains always go past and shit. Ill go depending on the ticket prices.

DisasterPiece120
08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Fuck the ticket prices aren't worth it for me to travel an hour and a half to the Jersey show. Gonna have to hold out and wait for another DT tour that hopefully lands in Philly or closer.

hellawaits77ny
08-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Tickets w/ fees for the Montreal date are $56. Don't think so. I've seen Metallica for less, American Carnage for less, etc.

AnthG
08-05-2011, 08:25 PM
When have you seen Metallica for less than $56? It must have been before the Black Album.

hellawaits77ny
08-06-2011, 12:18 AM
When have you seen Metallica for less than $56? It must have been before the Black Album.

Well, actually the tix that were cheaper I got on eBay, but still. BUT, when I saw them in Boston in '09 tix w/ all the fees and shit were only like $60.

AnthG
08-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Ah right, I forgot there were "cheap" upper bowl tickets or whatever on that tour. I saw them on that same tour and paid $100 after charges.

Solarian13
08-06-2011, 06:43 AM
When I saw them on the St. Anger tour in 2004 my lower level tickets were $47, and I believe floor was only like $10 or $15 more than that. (was considerably more expensive on the Death Magnetic tour unfortunately)

Dissimulate
08-06-2011, 12:04 PM
When I saw them on the St. Anger tour in 2004 my lower level tickets were $47, and I believe floor was only like $10 or $15 more than that. (was considerably more expensive on the Death Magnetic tour unfortunately)
Yeah, that's fucking St. Anger though. There's a 4 day gap between Vancouver and the next show after, I'd be shocked if we didn't get some more Western Canada dates.

masterguy49
08-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Good seats is South Florida are like 80$ wtf!? :flame:

mastodon421
08-06-2011, 12:38 PM
The tickets for Boston really aren't that expensive, the most expensive tickets are $53. No way in hell i'm going though.

Northern_Shaman
08-06-2011, 04:16 PM
I'd maaaybe consider paying these prices if they had a better support band. I don't like Trivium at all and there are more than enough shows coming up this fall to keep me occupied.

AnthG
08-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Floor tickets to the Toronto show are $101 after service charges. Hahaha, that's absolutely absurd. Fuck this band.

Maidenmagic
08-07-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm sure Dream Theater doesn't have much control over the ticket pricing.

MPF
08-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Trust me. Dream Theater has nothing to do with the ticket pricing, or their opening bands anymore.

Fuck Roadrunner, not Dream Theater.

xskizzelzx90x
08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
the general admission tickets are almost 40 with the convenience charges and everything here, reserved seats are like almost 60 I think. ugh, MIGHT go to this if it becomes convenient enough for me.

hellawaits77ny
08-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Floor tickets to the Toronto show are $101 after service charges. Hahaha, that's absolutely absurd. Fuck this band.

Unfuckingreal

AnthG
08-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Trust me. Dream Theater has nothing to do with the ticket pricing, or their opening bands anymore.

I'm completely aware of this, I wasn't trying to imply that they did. I just felt like...implying that they did...fuck...

In all seriousness, I know they don't have a whole lot of control over the prices, in terms of it's not the band themselves saying "Hey, we need to charge this much for the ticket", although what does factor into the price of a ticket along with the venue of choice and what they charge, is the production of the show, which is what the band themselves have control over, along with other touring expenses such as how many/what type of buses they use, how many roadies/techs they feel they need, etc.

So really, inadvertently and indirectly, they do have something to do with the ticket prices, though in this case i'm sure the main culprit is Massey Hall, since none of the other shows have prices that are even close to what the Toronto show has.

Steev
08-09-2011, 08:15 PM
new date, Philadelphia

Oct 16th at The Merriam Theater

which is an incredibly unconventional venue for a metal show

Travis The Dragon
08-21-2011, 12:22 PM
More dates have been announced here (http://www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.php)

And MN. gets skipped again! :mad:

Maidenmagic
08-21-2011, 12:45 PM
More dates have been announced here (http://www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.php)

And MN. gets skipped again! :mad:

Same with Louisiana, but I'm not surprised.

jd091
08-21-2011, 12:48 PM
...it's at a seated theater venue in Chicago? The fuck?

masterguy49
08-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Upset you can't hardcore dance to Dream Theater?

jd091
08-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Upset you can't hardcore dance to Dream Theater?

:lol: C'mon, you gotta be able to circle pit for Trivium. Definitely not hitting this up, anyway.

masterguy49
08-21-2011, 01:06 PM
:lol: C'mon, you gotta be able to circle pit for Trivium. Definitely not hitting this up, anyway.

You think anyone at this show will be there for Trivium :lol:

I would hit it up if it wasn't so expensive.
+I'd get murdered if I show enjoyment during Trivium

gilpdawg
08-23-2011, 01:00 AM

I don't think Trivium is playing that show anyway.

kommie
08-23-2011, 06:04 AM

I don't think Dream Theater fans are the violent type, they like a band with a singer who sounds like a singing vagina.

jd091
08-23-2011, 06:42 AM
I don't think Dream Theater fans are the violent type, they like a band with a singer who sounds like a singing vagina.

:eyes: :lol:

ShatteredFlame
08-23-2011, 07:09 AM
I went to a Dream Theater show and the age range was from 7 year old girls(who were actually fans I shit you not) to old men in their 60s.

GarageMetal468
08-23-2011, 08:03 AM

I think that's the Allstate Arena... Either way who the fuck cares, everyone's gonna be at Enslaved or D.R.I. that night anyway.

jd091
08-23-2011, 08:29 AM
I think that's the Allstate Arena... Either way who the fuck cares, everyone's gonna be at Enslaved or D.R.I. that night anyway.

It's the same night as Enslaved? :lol:

/whofuckingcaresaboutthisshownow

dcmetal108
08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I'd go to the chicago one but I don't feel like paying what I expect is a crazy amount. I'll just wait for Trivium to do another tour for support of In Waves then come see them when they play House Of Blues or something.

jd091
08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
I'd go to the chicago one but I don't feel like paying what I expect is a crazy amount. I'll just wait for Trivium to do another tour for support of In Waves then come see them when they play House Of Blues or something.

^

Travis The Dragon
08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
I went to a Dream Theater show and the age range was from 7 year old girls(who were actually fans I shit you not) to old men in their 60s.

Wow. I wouldn't think a kid that young would have enough of an attention span to enjoy a 15 minute song that changes gears 500 times. That's awesome!