8. Stay (Faraway, So Close)(accoustic)
9. Beautiful Day/Space Oddity
10. Elevation
11. Pride
12. Miss Sarajevo
13. Zooropa
14. City of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo
16. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (disco version)/ one verse from Discothèque/Psycho Killer
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. Scarlet
19. Walk On
20. One
21. Tomorrow/Where the Streets Have No Name

encore
22. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
23. With or Without You
24. Moment of Surrender

I got their too late to see openers Interpol, I heard they were pretty good. U2 went on at a little passed 9:00pm and went headstrong into four songs off Actung Baby! which was awesome since it's probably my favorite album by them. Strangely enough the crowd sat on their hands for the first part of the set. It wasn't until I Will Follow that people got out of their chairs and started jumping around, and even after that it was really only during more recent singles like Beautiful Day and Elevation, and the BIG songs like Where the Streets Have No Name that people got up and moved. Too bad because they were completely dead during Miss Sarajevo/Zooropa/City of Blinding Lights section, which I thought was the best part of the show. They did a good job of playing enough stuff for the casual fans (who made up a majority of the 58000 in attendance) and some less known stuff for the more hardcore fans. I was left a little disappointed when they ended with Moment of Surender when another set-list I saw posted here had them ending with my favorite U2 song, All I Want is You. I can't see why they ended with that song. It's a terrible song and it just killed the crowd.

As far as the performace, the band sounded a little rough as a whole towards the beginning but got into fine form as the set went on. Only Bono sounded really bad at any times passed that. He sang a lot of songs off-time, I'd imagine it was just his way of keeping some of these songs he's been singing for 25 years fresh. He is a complete dork too. The accoustic version of Stay was horrible, which was really too bad since it's one of their best. And the disco version of Crazy was just terrible. Mysterious Ways didn't sound very good either. I can't pinpoint what it was, but it was early in the set and as I said they sounded a little rough towards the beginning, especially on that song. Everything else was spot on. At least they played a verse from the Pop album. Space Oddity was a terrible intro too.

Overall I really wasn't too impressed with this show. The stage was fine if you're impressed by that kind of thing but as a person who sees 95% of their concerts in small 200-500 capacity venues I didn't care. If U2 was to play Toronto next year I wouldn't go, but if they're still around in ten years and their recorded output improves in that time then I might.

2.5/5

NickLed19
07-12-2011, 02:42 AM
They played All I Want is You in Nashville because a blind fan in the front was asked on stage by Bono. And he really wanted to help them play guitar to that song for his wife.

jd091
07-12-2011, 05:46 AM
This band died after War! :hmm:

Maideneer
07-12-2011, 07:30 AM
The topic of contention for 2 years has been playing Moment Of Surrender to close out the show. It is a complete buzzkill night after night and most people leave early to beat the traffic. Most U2 shows used to end with people singing the lyrics to 40 all the way to the parking lot, now it ends without a breath. That song needs to go away forever, it's the worst song on the record and probably the worst song they have done in a decade.

It's like Maiden closing with Angel & The Gambler.

Natrlhi
07-12-2011, 07:43 AM
This band died after War! :hmm:Please select from the following list of comments:

Repeat after me: "I typed the above comment because I saw someone else do it on the interwebs and they seemed cool, so I wanted to be like them."
Yeah, you're right. The Joshua Tree was utter dogshit.
Yeah, you're right. Achtung Baby was utter dogshit.
What the fuck would you know about it? War was released eight years before you were even fucking born!
Apparently you've never seen them live, which is what 90% of the fuss is about U2 nowadays (even though they're still writing some damn good songs in the modern era).
Without looking them up on the interwebs or cheating by some other means, name three songs from War that aren't "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "New Year's Day". Go ahead. I triple dog dare you.

Then, please fuck off out of this thread. Have a nice day. :bigfinger

Natrlhi
07-12-2011, 07:44 AM
The topic of contention for 2 years has been playing Moment Of Surrender to close out the show. It is a complete buzzkill night after night and most people leave early to beat the traffic. Most U2 shows used to end with people singing the lyrics to 40 all the way to the parking lot, now it ends without a breath. That song needs to go away forever, it's the worst song on the record and probably the worst song they have done in a decade.

It's like Maiden closing with Angel & The Gambler.:agree: BRING BACK 40

jd091
07-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Please select from the following list of comments:

Repeat after me: "I typed the above comment because I saw someone else do it on the interwebs and they seemed cool, so I wanted to be like them."
What the fuck would you know about it? War was released eight years before you were even fucking born!
Apparently you've never seen them live, which is what 90% of the fuss is about U2 nowadays (even though they're still writing some damn good songs in the modern era).
Without looking them up on the interwebs or cheating by some other means, name three songs from War that aren't "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "New Year's Day". Go ahead. I triple dog dare you.

:lol: I wanted to see what reaction I'd get, and this was way better than I expected! I deserve it all.

Natrlhi
07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
:lol: I wanted to see what reaction I'd get, and this was way better than I expected! I deserve it all.You'll notice (if you haven't already) that overkill is a specialty of mine. ;)

DethMaiden
07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Nat, I'll never understand how or why you like this terrible band.

powerslave_85
07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
U2 is music for people who don't like music. See also: Coldplay.

DethMaiden
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
U2 is music for people who don't like music. See also: Coldplay.

Exactly. I think 75% of suburban white households have the greatest hits of U2, Coldplay's Cold Rush of Blood to the Head, some early '90s Dave Matthews Band, and probably now some Adele. Pleasant, inoffensive music offends me so much more than something that tries something and fails.

Natrlhi
07-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Nat, I'll never understand how or why you like this terrible band.Explain your love for Ke$ha and maybe I'll enlighten you in return. ;)

U2 is music for people who don't like music. See also: Coldplay.I'll give you two hints:

U2 >>>>>>> Coldplay (even though Coldplay have recorded a few good songs for sure - see also: "Fix You")
It's not always about the songs that people like yourself have heard on the radio in the past couple of years.

powerslave_85
07-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Exactly. I think 75% of suburban white households have the greatest hits of U2, Coldplay's Cold Rush of Blood to the Head, some early '90s Dave Matthews Band, and probably now some Adele. Pleasant, inoffensive music offends me so much more than something that tries something and fails.
Whoa whoa whoa. Leave Adele out of this.

adamclark52
07-12-2011, 12:23 PM

There's a lot more U2 out there than the greatest hits everyone is familiar with. I'm a huge fan of them but even I'll admit that their last three albums have been terrible and their hits are way too overplayed. That's why some people have on this site have been expressing so much satisfaction with the band pulling out some rarer songs this tour.

Unfortunatly, about 85% of the crowd last night were those white suburbanites.

DethMaiden
07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. Leave Adele out of this.

If you get Adele, I definitely get Ke$ha. :zzz:

MPF
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
As I said in the other thread....

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YYYEEEAAAHHH!

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/2130767_o.gif

bigguytoo9
07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Ya if U2 doesnt close with 40, thats a MINUS. Moment Of Surrender is not a very strong closer ill tell ya. The Vertigo tour 4 years before I saw em in 2009 was 100x better then this 360 tour.

jd091
07-12-2011, 04:48 PM
As I said in the other thread....

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YYYEEEAAAHHH!

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/2130767_o.gif

powerslave_85
07-12-2011, 05:18 PM
If you get Adele, I definitely get Ke$ha. :zzz:
Classy chick with an incredible voice > auto-tuned moronic bullshit :bigfinger

es156
07-12-2011, 10:05 PM
:agree: BRING BACK 40

Definitely this.

TonyD
07-13-2011, 01:43 AM
If I'm not mistaken Brad, you've compared Kesha to Slayer.

DethMaiden
07-13-2011, 07:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken Brad, you've compared Kesha to Slayer.

:lol: In my most unserious blog post ever, I did that, yes. ;)

Natrlhi
07-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Ya know, I just realized I never really commented on the setlist per se, so here goes:

1. Even Better Than the Real Thing
2. The Fly
3. Mysterious Ways
4. Until the End of the World
They were on a bit of an "Achtung Baby" kick at the end of the setlist the last time I saw them - now it looks like they're getting it out of their system at the beginning of the set. Either way, I've always loved that album, so yeah.

5. I Will Follow
Very old school. Nice. :fist:

6. Get On Your Boots
Songs like this are why people such as Brad and powerslave_85 are convinced that U2 are shit, and if songs like this are all they've ever been exposed to, then I can actually understand them having that opinion. Seriously, guys - I was thrilled to see almost no songs from "...Horizon" in the current setlist, but you could have played "Magnificent" instead of this. Just sayin'.

8. Stay (Faraway, So Close)(accoustic)
I fell in love with this song again when they played it in NYC a few years ago (i.e., in an earlier leg of this tour), but I'm not sure how much I'd like it as an acoustic number. :eyes:

9. Beautiful Day/Space Oddity
Awesome U2 song, regardless of the flak it gets from young hormone-raging males who think it's "gay" to get be touch with concepts like joy and gratitude. I'm not sure what David Bowie has to do with anything here, but considering Bono's love for classic rock stars, I guess I'm not surprised they did this snippet.

13. ZooropaGuys - seriously? If you have to represent that album, "Stay..." is good enough - or surprise us and rip out a rendition of "The Wanderer", maybe - but not this. C'mon.

14. City of Blinding LightsBest song on the celebration of mediocrity that was "...Atomic Bomb". This song seriously gives me goosebumps. ("Miracle Drug" is pretty damn good, too. :fist:)

16. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (disco version)/ one verse from Discothèque/Psycho KillerSee above comment for "Boots". They've been remixing this song ever since it came out in a vain attempt to get the fans to like it, and guess what, guys? We still don't. Just face it, this song sucks. (Actually, the original is better if they absolutely feel the need to play this.)

18. ScarletWhoa, another oldie. Must be a 20th anniversary of the "October" album thing. I don't believe they've ever played this song live until this leg of this tour.

22. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill MeOK, so you wrote this song for a shitty movie. Fine. You don't have to play it live, though - and especially not as a fucking encore. :rolleyes:

24. Moment of SurrenderFucking. Weak.

Didn't like it in NYC, not looking forward to it in Pittsburgh.

Also:

:agree: BRING BACK 40This guy knows what the fuck he is talking about.

powerslave_85
07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
I dunno, with the exception of "Sunday Bloody Sunday," I've just never heard a U2 song that made me sit up and go "wow, that's really fucking great." Most of the time it's "wow, that sure is a rock song." The insane overexposure of their biggest songs is another part of it (which I know isn't a reflection of the quality of the songs, per se, but people get away with hating bands for less ;) ). Sure, I'm not familiar with their "deep cuts," but nothing from the songs that I've heard makes me want to run out and buy their albums. Also, Bono just rubs me the wrong way. Yes, charitable work is great, but when the attitude of "our band is important and we're trying to save the world" starts to bleed into their image, it's time to roll my eyes and make a dismissive wanking motion.

Finally, a great old joke (which I'm sure never actually happened, but it's still funny): U2 are playing a festival in Glasgow, and in the middle of a song Bono stops the music and begins clapping very slowly. "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies." A drunken Scottish voice yells from the crowd and says "Well fookin' stop doin' it then!"

Natrlhi
07-13-2011, 08:53 AM
I dunno, with the exception of "Sunday Bloody Sunday," I've just never heard a U2 song that made me sit up and go "wow, that's really fucking great." Most of the time it's "wow, that sure is a rock song." The insane overexposure of their biggest songs is another part of it (which I know isn't a reflection of the quality of the songs, per se, but people get away with hating bands for less ;) ). Sure, I'm not familiar with their "deep cuts," but nothing from the songs that I've heard makes me want to run out and buy their albums. Also, Bono just rubs me the wrong way. Yes, charitable work is great, but when the attitude of "our band is important and we're trying to save the world" starts to bleed into their image, it's time to roll my eyes and make a dismissive wanking motion.

Finally, a great old joke (which I'm sure never actually happened, but it's still funny): U2 are playing a festival in Glasgow, and in the middle of a song Bono stops the music and begins clapping very slowly. "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies." A drunken Scottish voice yells from the crowd and says "Well fookin' stop doin' it then!"Interesting observations, and well-stated (as usual ;)). If you'd ever seen Bono in action up on the stage, you'd probably come to realize, as I have, that:

He's actually a whole lot more humble than many people think.
He's a megalomaniac at times, too - which sounds contradictory to the above - but he knows it, and he makes fun of himself for it.
It's exactly this dichotomy - the sincerely humble, self-deprecating megalomaniac - that makes many of his fans love him.
Either way, love him or hate him, the guy is truly larger than life, and so is U2's stage show.
The motherfucker can entertain, and work a crowd like nobody's business.

But I guess you'll have to take my word for it, because I have no illusions that I'll convert you or anybody else with a few mere words. Let's just say that I consider myself metal to the core - albeit highly interested in many other genres as well - and I can still not only stomach but truly love this band, so that's got to say something, right? Also, I consider myself to have a highly sensitive bullshit detector - a fact which often leads to many of my famous rants - and so far these guys have not set it off yet...and it's going on nigh unto thirty years now, so yeah.

EDIT: Oh, and that joke was awesome. :lol:

adamclark52
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Ya know, I just realized I never really commented on the setlist per se, so here goes:

They were on a bit of an "Achtung Baby" kick at the end of the setlist the last time I saw them - now it looks like they're getting it out of their system at the beginning of the set. Either way, I've always loved that album, so yeah.

Very old school. Nice. :fist:

Songs like this are why people such as Brad and powerslave_85 are convinced that U2 are shit, and if songs like this are all they've ever been exposed to, then I can actually understand them having that opinion. Seriously, guys - I was thrilled to see almost no songs from "...Horizon" in the current setlist, but you could have played "Magnificent" instead of this. Just sayin'.

I fell in love with this song again when they played it in NYC a few years ago (i.e., in an earlier leg of this tour), but I'm not sure how much I'd like it as an acoustic number. :eyes:

Awesome U2 song, regardless of the flak it gets from young hormone-raging males who think it's "gay" to get be touch with concepts like joy and gratitude. I'm not sure what David Bowie has to do with anything here, but considering Bono's love for classic rock stars, I guess I'm not surprised they did this snippet.

Guys - seriously? If you have to represent that album, "Stay..." is good enough - or surprise us and rip out a rendition of "The Wanderer", maybe - but not this. C'mon.

Best song on the celebration of mediocrity that was "...Atomic Bomb". This song seriously gives me goosebumps. ("Miracle Drug" is pretty damn good, too. :fist:)

See above comment for "Boots". They've been remixing this song ever since it came out in a vain attempt to get the fans to like it, and guess what, guys? We still don't. Just face it, this song sucks. (Actually, the original is better if they absolutely feel the need to play this.)

Whoa, another oldie. Must be a 20th anniversary of the "October" album thing. I don't believe they've ever played this song live until this leg of this tour.

OK, so you wrote this song for a shitty movie. Fine. You don't have to play it live, though - and especially not as a fucking encore. :rolleyes:

Fucking. Weak.

Didn't like it in NYC, not looking forward to it in Pittsburgh.

Also:

This guy knows what the fuck he is talking about.

I agree totally with you except the Zooropa comment. I've though that's an awesome song since I bought that album a week after it came out. The segue from Miss Sariavo (sp) was really the best moment of the concert. And then the segue into City of Blinding Lights. Those three songs were the highlight for me. Bono didn't sound too band doing Pavaroti's parts either.

The remix of Crazy... just proves to me that the band wishes that the Pop experimentation hadn't of failed so miserably. I think if that album was better received they'd still be making a lot more music in that genre.

The accoustic version of Stay would be good if Bono wasn't singing so out of time and the Edge's harmony during the chorus was way too loud in the mix. I love the original just the way it is.

Nick_to_the_face
07-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Please select from the following list of comments:

Score for the old man ;)

:lol: seriously I'm glad someone is sticking up for U2, I know i'm young, but man do I love these guys..
:eyes: