PDA

View Full Version : Mayhem Festival -- Mountain View, CA -- July 10th, 2011

brutal_descent
07-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Great show. Arrived around 12:30, and quickly found Seb (slapguitarer) in line. Thanks for chilling all day with me, man. :cool:

The first band of the day (Jager local band) was Valdur, a local kvlt black metal band. They played from 1:45 - 2:05, with a 4-5 song set. They weren't as good as I was expecting, but then again, I wasn't expecting any god black metal bands to come out of the Bay Area. :tongue: Instead of leaving to the Revolver stage to see Straight Line Stitch close-up, I kept my rail spot for Red Fang, up next. It so happened that I left (for a second, initially) to meet Testament, but I quickly realized that the autograph sessions for Testament, Trivium, and Machine Head would end up finishing around 10 minutes after Red Fang, but I still decided to go for the autographs over seeing Red Fang. They still sounded good from afar, although.

VALDUR (1:45 - 2:05)

Set Missing

STRAIGHT LINE STITCH

Set Missing

RED FANG (3:10 - 3:40)

Reverse Thunder
Sharks
Malverde
Wires
Into the Eye
Good to Die
Prehistoric Dog

I finished my autograph-hunting around 10 minutes into Kingdom Of Sorrow, already after All Shall Perish's set, but I left the line for Machine Head's session for about a minute or two to hear All Shall Perish's first song. The Rockstar Energy Drink signing tent was right in front of the two side-stages anyway, so it wasn't as if I wasn't watching them. On record, All Shall Perish will always be one of my favorite deathcore bands, but they didn't seem that amazing as some people say today. Either way, it was pretty fucking cool to meet Chuck Billy, Matt Heafy, and Rob Flynn, all musicians I've looked up to (either in the past or present). Kingdom of Sorrow seemed pretty good as well, and Jasta seemed to be having fun.

ALL SHALL PERISH (3:05 - 3:35)

Set Missing

KINGDOM OF SORROW (3:35 - 4:05)

Enlightened To Extinction
Led Into Demise
Lead the Ghosts Astray

Set Incomplete

As Kingdom of Sorrow were finishing up their set, I got a second-row spot at Revolver's stage (where Suicide Silence were playing next). Maybe I was considering sitting through Suicide Silence to get a good spot for Testament, but I ended up leaving it to go see Unearth with Seb (slapguitarer). As I got there, Kingdom of Sorrow's guitar tech was coming out from backstage with picks, and I managed to get one from him (my only one of the day). We got a rail spot, and we (or I did, at least) lasted about two songs into their set until the crowd-surfers got the best of us, and we left to watch from afar. :finger: We left for the Revolver stage, and got our spots for Testament! :rocker:

SUICIDE SILENCE (4:05 - 4:35)

Set Missing

UNEARTH (4:35 - 5:05)

Watch It Burn
The Great Dividers
Endless
This Lying World
Eyes of Black
Sanctity of Brothers
My Will Be Done

Set May Be Incomplete

Testament was arguably the best band of the day for me. :blaze: Their sound was EXCELLENT (unlike Disturbed's, ironically), and their set was pretty badass for a festival set. The crowd was great, and the pit was brutal! I hope I see them again soon, they're definitely still going strong. As we left the Revolver stage to go get some drinks, Trivium had already begun In Waves, and in the 45 minutes I spent hydrating myself / chilling with the guys from Unearth, they disappointed the fuck out of me. With a setlist shitty enough not to include my favorite song, Like Light To Flies, they would only really not suck in my eyes if they put on a good show. Unfortunately, that option seemed off the menu for Heafy and Co. Meh, it'll definitely be a long time until I see them again afterwards.

TESTAMENT (5:05 - 5:40)

Over the Wall
The Preacher
The New Order
More Than Meets the Eye
Into the Pit
D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)
3 Days in Darkness

TRIVIUM (5:40 - 6:15)

In Waves
Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation
Down From The Sky
Throes Of Perdition
Dusk Dismantled
Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr

During the walk to main-stage was when I realized what the difference between lawn tickets and seats was in the actual amphitheatre, so by the time Machine Head came out I was feeling like total shit. :( They had to be the band I was waiting to see the most from the lineup, and here I was, squinting to tell who was who, a whole amphitheatre away. But luck was on my side! Apparently there was a seat vacant in front of Slap, and he managed to cleverly get me through. Thanks, bro. ;) Next came Megadeth - I wasn't expecting much good, to be honest. After the major disappointment that was European Carnage, I had lost all hope in their live experience. Thankfully, Mustaine was pretty good all the way through (apart from some of Trust, but who cares about that song), and even though I spent about 15 minutes listing songs that they could've played, it was pretty good. Respect to them for flying out of France and managing to pull themselves together for us. :rocker:

MACHINE HEAD (6:20 - 6:55)

Beautiful Mourning
Locust
Aesthetics of Hate
Halo

Set Incomplete

MEGADETH (7:15 - 8:05)
Trust
Wake Up Dead
She-Wolf
Hangar 18
Public Enemy No. 1
Symphony of Destruction
Head Crusher
Peace Sells
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Next came the two (if you don't count Straight Line Stitch) shittiest bands of the day - Godsmack and Disturbed. After all of NickLed19's ranting about how missing Godsmack was a mistake, I felt that he was partly right, and that I should give them a chance. After all, even a shit band like Bullet For My Valentine had managed to redeem themselves to me by putting on a good show. Unfortunately, Godsmack sucked. Everything sounded the same (same thing with Disturbed too, unsurprisingly). I spent their set tolerating the bore that they were. Sorry, guys. Disturbed were on next, and they were actually, spot on to my expectations. Shit with a capital S. Donegan (I think that's his name) can't sing. I don't know if Disturbed were ever good live, but they sure as hell weren't tonight. He even managed to ruin Down With the Sickness, one of three Disturbed songs I consider decent in the least. Not much more to say about them. Slap and I spent the second half of their set wandering outside the amphitheatre :hecho:

GODSMACK (8:30 - 9:30)

Cryin' Like a Bitch
The Enemy
Forever Shamed
Straight Out of Line
Awake
Speak
Love Hate Sex Pain
Voodoo
Batalla de los Tambores
Whatever
I Stand Alone

DISTURBED (9:55 - 10:55)

Remnants
Asylum
The Game
Prayer
Liberate
The Infection
The Animal
Inside the Fire
Warrior
Another Way to Die
Stupify
Ten Thousand Fists
Indestructible
Down with the Sickness

Overall, Mayhem was fun as fuck. Despite some of the bands on the lineup (and me watching Machine Head from fuck knows where), I had a lot of fun watching bands, meeting musicians, and hanging out with Slap, and I'll definitely go next year (with seat tickets, next time! ;)). One complaint is the spontaneity of the running order - I found myself having to run over to the next stage after bands, with the next band literally beginning their set mere seconds after the other had turned off their amplifiers. After Graspop (a festival with 10+ min breaks in between bands), it was sort of harsh. :lol:

Who I met:
Testament
Valdur
Unearth
Machine Head
Trivium

kommie
07-11-2011, 04:43 AM
lol @ at 'hour long' Megadave setlist.

jd091
07-11-2011, 07:04 AM
No Great Dividers in Unearth's set... :( Hopefully they pull that out when I see 'em put on a headlining set in a couple weeks.

And you're crazy for skipping out on All Shall Perish! And a Suicide Silence set would have been nice for me...

And Trivium set looks different this time. Interesting. "Duck Dismantled". ;)

Xenocide
07-11-2011, 07:29 AM
That sucks about your experience with Machine Head. That was pretty much my Lamb of God experience last year.

makethemsuffer12
07-11-2011, 08:15 AM
That sucks about your experience with Machine Head. That was pretty much my Lamb of God experience last year.

This. Bands like MH and LOG just suck in amphitheaters and arenas (experienced both bands in both environments).

Also, not like anyone really cares, but Dan Donogan is Disturbed's guitarist. David Draiman is their fruity-looking singer.

idrinkwine732
07-11-2011, 08:30 AM
I wasn't expecting any god black metal bands to come out of the Bay Area. :tongue:

I ended up not attending, but...

http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d16/14568_weakling_dead_as_dreams.jpg

TiradesOfTruth
07-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Where and what time was Machine Head signing at. Did they advertise where and when the bands were signing.

llama lom
07-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Sounds like it was fun! To be honest despite the shit bands in the past two years, I'll probably go next year no matter what. I just miss the general outdoor festival setting and it was a blast when I went in '08 and '09.

daimonos
07-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Isn't Lightning Swords of Death from the Bay Area? Or somewhere else in Cali?

Wrecking Crew
07-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Was Testament just at this particular Mayhem stop? I didn't see them mentioned as being on the Mayhem tour at all.

llama lom
07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Was Testament just at this particular Mayhem stop? I didn't see them mentioned as being on the Mayhem tour at all.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was just this one.

marker
07-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Testament was at this show and the San Bernadino show,that's it on Mayhem.

MetalIsArt
07-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Goddamn those Megadeth-setlists are boring.

:bouville::tp:

Sepultura69
07-11-2011, 11:11 AM
MEGADETH (7:15 - 8:05)

Trust
Wake Up Dead
She-Wolf
Hangar 18
Public Enemy No. 1
Symphony of Destruction
Head Crusher
Peace Sells
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

BEST MEGADETH SET EVER
:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker::rocker: :rocker:

The Ghost at Number One
07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Was Testament just at this particular Mayhem stop? I didn't see them mentioned as being on the Mayhem tour at all.They filled in for In Flames at this particular show.

brutal_descent
07-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Where and what time was Machine Head signing at. Did they advertise where and when the bands were signing.

If it wasn't for Machine Head arriving late to the venue, I could've watched Kingdom of Sorrow, but instead of signing at 2:15 they postponed it to 3:30.

brutal_descent
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Godsmack setlist added.

Travis The Dragon
07-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Where's In Flames?

AnataFan4Life
07-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Where's In Flames?

They aren't on the tour until tomorrow.

slapguitarer
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Pic of Me w/ Brutal

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z394/slapguitarer/0710112303-00-1-1.jpg

He's on the left, I'm on the right.

jd091
07-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Pic of Me w/ Brutal

THATS WHAT HIS FACE LOOKS LIKE

NickLed19
07-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Godsmack puts on a good show. You just hate the music and thats ok.

TonyD
07-11-2011, 02:00 PM
I was bummed about not going when I heard that Testament played Souls of Black at the first show, but they didn't here. Also I heard from 2 different people that the sound sucked on the main stage.

Also, setlist.fm says both of the first two shows for Machine Head opened with Imperium, along with the other 4 songs posted.

slapguitarer
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM

I like The Oracle. I think it's a good record, and I like their other work too, but they weren't really good. They were actually really boring, apart from their duel drum solo.

brutal_descent
07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Unearth set updated, jd.

brutal_descent
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
THATS WHAT HIS FACE LOOKS LIKE

I've looked like shit for the last two weeks due to sleep deprivation though, so keep that in mind.

brutal_descent
07-11-2011, 03:52 PM

I don't hate Godsmack, I even have a few songs on my iPod of theirs. It was just boring, dude. Slap can vouch for me, I was singing along to a song or two.

jd091
07-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Unearth set updated, jd.

UNEARTH (4:35 - 5:05)

Watch It Burn
The Great Dividers
Endless
This Lying World
Eyes of Black
Sanctity of Brothers
My Will Be Done

Ah, thats pretty nice actually. STILL a little mad that they're leaving out Black Hearts Now Reign :confused:, but I'm sure I'll see that in their headlining set. Zombie Autopilot would be nice, too, but I love This Lying World so I'm not complaining.

masterguy49
07-11-2011, 05:01 PM
I've looked like shit for the last two weeks due to sleep deprivation though, so keep that in mind.

I think you still look sexy :lovedup:

velvetgrass
07-11-2011, 05:29 PM
BEST MEGADETH SET EVER
:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker::rocker: :rocker:

Are you serious? Best Megadeth set ever?! You're out of your fucking mind. No Tornado Of Souls? No Sweating Bullets? No A Tout Le Monde? Shit, I can think of dozens of better Megadeth setlists. I seriously hope you're being sarcastic. Moving on, how did the new song sound?

Well not to be totally negative, at least they're closing with the full Holy Wars not that crappy instrumental "introduce the band" reprise

The Ghost at Number One
07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I certainly wouldn't include A Tout Le Monde in a good Megadeth set.

The new song, by the way, is painfully weak. To me, it sounds like the worst stuff off of Cryptic Writings. Judge for yourself, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnw-zWS6GE.

velvetgrass
07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I certainly wouldn't include A Tout Le Monde in a good Megadeth set.

The new song, by the way, is painfully weak. To me, it sounds like the worst stuff off of Cryptic Writings. Judge for yourself, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnw-zWS6GE.

Well A Tout Le Monde is a personal favorite for me. I forgot to include Washington Is Next! as one of the songs in the dozens of better Megadeth sets I've seen.

makethemsuffer12
07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Are you serious? Best Megadeth set ever?! You're out of your fucking mind. No Tornado Of Souls? No Sweating Bullets? No A Tout Le Monde? Shit, I can think of dozens of better Megadeth setlists. I seriously hope you're being sarcastic. Moving on, how did the new song sound?

Well not to be totally negative, at least they're closing with the full Holy Wars not that crappy instrumental "introduce the band" reprise

He is. No need to get all butthurt over absolutely nothing.

And they still do the "introduce the band" thing, but they just play it as the end of "Holy Wars" instead of the reprise they did on the RIP tour.

velvetgrass
07-11-2011, 07:25 PM
He is. No need to get all butthurt over absolutely nothing.

And they still do the "introduce the band" thing, but they just play it as the end of "Holy Wars" instead of the reprise they did on the RIP tour.

Okay, I overrated. But I did because I thought he may have been saying it was the best Megadeth set ever because it was short and he didn't like them. I can see that's not the case, but if it was that would basically being a form of taunting fans with the big font size and all.

larvtard
07-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Pic of Me w/ Brutal

I just realized who he looks like. Oli Sykes from Bring Me The Anal Lube (or some other vocalist of a deathcore band, they all look the same to me).

MPF
07-11-2011, 08:33 PM
I just realized who he looks like. Oli Sykes from Bring Me The Anal Lube (or some other vocalist of a deathcore band, they all look the same to me).

Everything is starting to make sense now...

:tongue:

BloodoftheKings
07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Bring Me The Anal Lube

That what i'm calling them whenever they're brought up for now on.

brutal_descent
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM

I get that a lot. I've been told I look like Mitch Lucker too :lol:

larvtard
07-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I get that a lot. I've been told I look like Mitch Lucker too :lol:

Yeah, at first I thought Mitch Lucker, but then I realized you had a more British look.

That what i'm calling them whenever they're brought up for now on.

Personally, I like it better than Bring Me The Hairspray.

jd091
07-12-2011, 05:29 AM

Hey, Hairspray is considered Metalcore nao! They moved away from deathcore long ago :nonono:

mastodon421
07-12-2011, 08:07 AM
My friend calls BMTH Bring Me The Gays. It's really stupid, but it still make me laugh. Bring Me The Anal Lube is 1000x time funnier though, good work on that one.

velvetgrass
07-12-2011, 07:37 PM
So I have a question about Machine Head that maybe one of you veteran metalheads here can answer. So on the list of the many albums I have not had a chance to listen to, my older cousin let me borrow her two Machine Head CDs The Burning Red and The More Things Change... She says Machine Head is her favorite band.

Well anyways now I look at their first two setlists on the Mayhem tour (from setlist.fm) and nothing from either album. Now for my questions: Are Machine Head known to completely skip those two albums in their sets? And is my cousin missing a lot of good music by them off the albums she doesn't have of theirs?

makethemsuffer12
07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
So I have a question about Machine Head that maybe one of you veteran metalheads here can answer. So on the list of the many albums I have not had a chance to listen to, my older cousin let me borrow her two Machine Head CDs The Burning Red and The More Things Change... She says Machine Head is her favorite band.

Well anyways now I look at their first two setlists on the Mayhem tour (from setlist.fm) and nothing from either album. Now for my questions: Are Machine Head known to completely skip those two albums in their sets? And is my cousin missing a lot of good music by them off the albums she doesn't have of theirs?

Well they usually play stuff from them in their headlining sets (only a couple of songs, though), but for Mayhem it's mainly from the The Blackening ("Imperium" is from Through the Ashes of Empires and "Locust" is going to be on their upcoming album).

And how the fuck can your cousin call MH her favorite band without having The Blackening or Burn My Eyes?

velvetgrass
07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
And how the fuck can your cousin call MH her favorite band without having The Blackening or Burn My Eyes?

Better question is, why do so many people lose interest in following their so-called "favorite bands" after like a few albums? Now I'm glad I didn't tell her Machine Head are going to be in Tinley Park on the Mayhem tour. If she went she wouldn't even know one song by them, lol.

jem777az
07-12-2011, 09:16 PM

The problem with Machine Head and their setlists at both this Mayhem and the first Mayhem fest, is that their songs have gotten progressively longer with each album release. By choosing to play only recent stuff the band paints themselves in a corner and 5 songs is all they get in a 35 minute slot. I get that the band is happy with the success of the last few albums, but for fuck sake do you really need to play 3 songs from The Blackening? Play one song from each to represent the album and they would be getting 7 songs instead of the 5 that they currently get. No Burn My Eyes or The More Things Change represented is BULLSHIT!

AnthG
07-12-2011, 09:34 PM

She could have downloaded them, legally or illegally. He took the 2 albums she owns on CD, i'm assuming.

As far as why they don't play them, it probably has to do with wanting to promote the the newer stuff (as explained before), but probably also because they maybe don't like those albums, and know that it's probably their poorest received material by the majority of their fanbase. I mean I hate to jump on the "Machine Head chased a trend" bandwagon, but you look at the Burning Red and Supercharger and how those albums sounded combined with when those albums were released, it's hard not to raise and eyebrow and consider that they were going with whatever was popular at the time. Now someone said that they do play TBR and Supercharger songs during headlining sets, so maybe i'm completely incorrect about what I wrote.

makethemsuffer12
07-12-2011, 09:43 PM
She could have downloaded them, legally or illegally. He took the 2 albums she owns on CD, i'm assuming.

As far as why they don't play them, it probably has to do with wanting to promote the the newer stuff (as explained before), but probably also because they maybe don't like those albums, and know that it's probably their poorest received material by the majority of their fanbase. I mean I hate to jump on the "Machine Head chased a trend" bandwagon, but you look at the Burning Red and Supercharger and how those albums sounded combined with when those albums were released, it's hard not to raise and eyebrow and consider that they were going with whatever was popular at the time. Now someone said that they do play TBR and Supercharger songs during headlining sets, so maybe i'm completely incorrect about what I wrote.

You're mostly correct haha.

Still, the absence of "Davidian" is unacceptable. That's their signature fucking song.

Xenocide
07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Still, the absence of "Davidian" is unacceptable. That's their signature fucking song.

Yeah. Aesthetics of Hate is a pretty crappy song, they should replace it with Davidian. I'm pumped to see Beautiful Mourning though :rocker:

masterguy49
07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah. Aesthetics of Hate is a pretty crappy song, they should replace it with Davidian. I'm pumped to see Beautiful Mourning though :rocker:

GTFO.

Xenocide
07-13-2011, 09:59 AM
No thanks. Overrated song is overrated. One of the weakest songs on The Blackening imo.

AnthG
07-13-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm not too big on Davidian to be honest, or most of Burn my Eyes. Other than Old I can't get into that album as much as i'd like to.

And Aesthetics of Hate >>>>>> Davidian.

brutal_descent
07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
The Metal Blade tent gives you a free pack of bookmarks, by the way. They're all with band logos (Red Fang, Clutch, All Shall Perish, JFAC, Red Chord, 3IOB, Chimaira, and more), and the Roadrunner tent will give you a Machine Head lithograph signed by the band if you pre-order the album. If something pretty signed is what you want, save your money and get a free Machine Head poster when you come to Machine Head's autograph session. For those who want to meet Trivium, you've got to pre-order it or else it's a no-go. They give you a bracelet and if you don't have it when you get in line for the signings, they'll throw you out. :tp:

Also, the vendors at the official Mayhem merch table are complete dicks.

hellawaits77ny
07-13-2011, 12:50 PM
All Shall Perish's set

1) Wage Slaves
2) Gagged, Bound, Shelved and Forgotten
3) There is No Business Left to be Done on a Dead Planet
4) Processing of Ashes
5) In This Life of Pain
6) There is Nothing Left
7) Eradication

Source : Setlist.fm

Very interesting. Of those 7 songs, 3 from the new album.

makethemsuffer12
07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
That might be true, but I still can't imagine going to a Machine Head show and not screaming "LET FREEDOM RING WITH A SHOTGUN BLAST" at the top of my lungs.

jd091
07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
All Shall Perish's set

1) Wage Slaves
2) Gagged, Bound, Shelved and Forgotten
3) There is No Business Left to be Done on a Dead Planet
4) Processing of Ashes
5) In This Life of Pain
6) There is Nothing Left
7) Eradication

Source : Setlist.fm

Very interesting. Of those 7 songs, 3 from the new album.

Sick! Great songs off of The Price of Existence, my favorite album of theirs by far. Wish they would switch out Eradication, even if it is a staple of theirs. Much better songs on that album.

hellawaits77ny
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Sick! Great songs off of The Price of Existence, my favorite album of theirs by far. Wish they would switch out Eradication, even if it is a staple of theirs. Much better songs on that album.

Eradication is my favorite. We finally disagree on something. POE is a classic. And I like what I've heard from their upcoming album, too.

Xenocide
07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm not too big on Davidian to be honest, or most of Burn my Eyes. Other than Old I can't get into that album as much as i'd like to.

Well, I disagree, and that's really all there is to it.

jd091
07-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Eradication is my favorite. We finally disagree on something. POE is a classic. And I like what I've heard from their upcoming album, too.

Stuff like Better Living Through Catastrophe, We Hold These Truths..., and The True Beast are songs I'd rather see. I don't know how much they play them live, though, since its usually always Eradication, Wage Slaves, and No Business.

I'm super pumped for the new album; the video on youtube which shows off a teaser from each song is great. There was literally not a riff in the entire teaser which I didn't like!

slapguitarer
07-13-2011, 04:43 PM
The Metal Blade tent gives you a free pack of bookmarks, by the way. They're all with band logos (Red Fang, Clutch, All Shall Perish, JFAC, Red Chord, 3IOB, Chimaira, and more)

These also come with a 15% discount code for your next purchase at indiemerchstore

masterguy49
07-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, I disagree, and that's really all there is to it.

We don't appreciate opinions around here ;)

hellawaits77ny
07-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Stuff like Better Living Through Catastrophe, We Hold These Truths..., and The True Beast are songs I'd rather see. I don't know how much they play them live, though, since its usually always Eradication, Wage Slaves, and No Business.

I'm super pumped for the new album; the video on youtube which shows off a teaser from each song is great. There was literally not a riff in the entire teaser which I didn't like!

They played 'The True Beast' when I saw them in March. I dig that track too, and was pleasantly suprised that they played it.