PDA

View Full Version : Liturgy -- Bloomington, IN -- July 8th, 2011

DethMaiden
07-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Great fucking show. Writing a long think piece on it for the Quietus which I'll post when it publishes (next Tuesday, I believe). Here was their set:

Pagan Dawn
High Gold
Generation
Sun of Light
Returner
Veins of God
Glory Bronze

:drool:

mankvill
07-09-2011, 05:07 PM
so

should

i

see

them

D:

JRA
07-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Fuck, I should have gone to this last night.

larvtard
07-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Fuck, I should have gone to this last night.

wait, I thought you liked good black metal? :confused:

JRA
07-09-2011, 06:50 PM
wait, I thought you liked good black metal? :confused:

Does this imply that
a) Liturgy is not good black metal

or

b) that as a connoisseur of good black metal I wouldn't have missed this?

larvtard
07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
both, but I think I was leaning toward b)

GameFreac
07-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Too much new stuff. Lame.

treghet
07-09-2011, 08:36 PM
both, but I think I was leaning toward b)

That doesn't make sense.

DethMaiden
07-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm gonna try to hold my tongue until I finish my article, but if you dislike Liturgy because of notions of hipsterdom and falseness, seeing them live would probably go a long way in changing your mind.

JRA
07-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Regardless of public opinion, I should have gone just for something else to do.

Wizzbang11
07-09-2011, 11:37 PM
I dont like Liturgy, I dont really give a shit about them being hipsters, but I am annoyed by them in the same was Christian "punk" music pisses me off. Black metal is the only genre of metal that is completely dependent on its own ethos, image etc. Death, thrash, heavy, doom, whatever can exist in a whole range of themes and ideologies, but black metal without the deep seeded darkness simply isnt black metal. Now, musically people should be free to play whatever they want, but it feels like a bastardization of what black metal is supposed to be to have someone remove an integral part of the genre and then claim to be doing it the "right way." I don't agree at all with most black metal politics and worldviews, but I think they are absolutley essential, just like the punk mentality was essential to hardcore. One without the other just isn't the same. Plus have you seen what they look like? Fuckin hipsters.

DethMaiden
07-10-2011, 07:16 AM
I dont like Liturgy, I dont really give a shit about them being hipsters, but I am annoyed by them in the same was Christian "punk" music pisses me off. Black metal is the only genre of metal that is completely dependent on its own ethos, image etc. Death, thrash, heavy, doom, whatever can exist in a whole range of themes and ideologies, but black metal without the deep seeded darkness simply isnt black metal. Now, musically people should be free to play whatever they want, but it feels like a bastardization of what black metal is supposed to be to have someone remove an integral part of the genre and then claim to be doing it the "right way." I don't agree at all with most black metal politics and worldviews, but I think they are absolutley essential, just like the punk mentality was essential to hardcore. One without the other just isn't the same. Plus have you seen what they look like? Fuckin hipsters.

:lol: Oh, you make my job too easy. ;)

GameFreac
07-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Oh man their hair and their views totally make a huge deciding factor about how their music sounds rite?

smearCampaign
07-11-2011, 12:02 PM
To me it seems that as important as darkness and evil are to black metal, there is also a pretentiousness and an air of superiority surrounding black metallers. And Liturgy certainly has that down. I think their music is pretty decent but their frontman's writings have given them far more publicity than anything else they've done. Maybe they've hired a black metal marketing strategist. Next thing you know he'll be writing a black metal arts and crafts book with a chapter on how to make jewelry from bandmates skull fragments; the ultimate marriage of hipsters and church burners.

For the record I'll take an indie-hipster black metal band over deathcore dubstep anyday.

DethMaiden
07-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Here's my review, to piss off half of you and hopefully impress the other half:

http://thequietus.com/articles/06578-liturgy-live-review

larvtard
07-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Here's my review, to piss off half of you and hopefully impress the other half:

http://thequietus.com/articles/06578-liturgy-live-review

No, that's a really good article. But I thought you recently said that you were gonna interview them and have them redeem themselves for that Scion video?

DethMaiden
07-13-2011, 08:05 AM
No, that's a really good article. But I thought you recently said that you were gonna interview them and have them redeem themselves for that Scion video?

Didn't really shake down that way since we had already done an interview with them a week before and it would have been super redundant, so I did it more as a live think piece. Only talked to Hunter for like five minutes.

Natrlhi
07-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Varg Vikernes may be an anti-Semitic convicted murderer, but at least he doesn't wear a v-neck.Pure gold right there. :fist: :D

larvtard
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Didn't really shake down that way since we had already done an interview with them a week before and it would have been super redundant, so I did it more as a live think piece. Only talked to Hunter for like five minutes.

Oh. Well, are you gonna post that interview?

DethMaiden
07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Oh. Well, are you gonna post that interview?

Here you go, chief: http://thequietus.com/articles/06539-liturgy-interview

treghet
07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Everything in the article made sense, but I still don't like Liturgy. It's not because they're hipsters, it's not because they're false, and it's not because of the Scion interview. I just can't stand the vocals. You could say they contrast the music, but to me they just don't work at all. The vocals remind me a lot of Xasthur, which just feels misplaced and awkward against Liturgy's optimistic sounding music.

DethMaiden
07-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Everything in the article made sense, but I still don't like Liturgy. It's not because they're hipsters, it's not because they're false, and it's not because of the Scion interview. I just can't stand the vocals. You could say they contrast the music, but to me they just don't work at all. The vocals remind me a lot of Xasthur, which just feels misplaced and awkward against Liturgy's optimistic sounding music.

And that's a purely logical reason not to listen to something; you don't like the way it sounds for reasons A, B, and C. First time I've read that reaction to Liturgy from someone who doesn't like them. I have nothing but respect for that.

JRA
07-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Varg Vikernes may be an anti-Semitic convicted murderer, but at least he doesn't wear a v-neck.

Ok, that's some funny ass shit. :lol:

larvtard
07-13-2011, 03:22 PM

Yeah, that is a good point. Singing would work much better, in my opinion. It's like they're trying to "transcend" beyond black metal, but most of the time, their music doesn't even sound like black metal, so by using black metal vocals, they are not transcending it at all, but restricting themselves. Clean vocals would be a perfect fit and would at the same time allow them to properly transcend black metal.