PDA

View Full Version : New REDEMPTION album finished

ravenheart
07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
"I'm pleased to announce that after what can only be described as a very challenging production experience that threw every possible curve ball at us, we have finished the record.

Fortunately Neil kept a steady hand at the tiller through rough waters but it really tested us all: computer failures, internet failures, missing files, strange "ghost in the machine" type elements, scheduling challenges, lightning strikes (I'm not kidding), etc.

At any rate, the masters are in the hands of the label. Now we just wait for it to be released!

Hope you all enjoy it."

Maiden33
07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Album for album, Redemption is my favorite band of the 2000-2009 decade. 3 masterpieces and 1 "very good" album. I have no reason to believe this will be anything less than exceptional, just would prefer a slightly better production than the last one had.

ravenheart
07-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm just looking forward to seeing them live for the first time in October. Assuming the tour doesn't get cancelled again.

DethMaiden
07-09-2011, 02:39 PM
:party:

I consider Snowfall on Judgment Day to be basically the perfect execution of whatever genre that is, so I'm looking forward to this.

ChildrenofSodom
07-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I too loved Snowfall. I'm not too well-versed in their other releases, or Fates Warning, but I will definitely be giving this a listen.

ravenheart
07-09-2011, 03:54 PM
whatever genre that is

Prog that isn't over-long or gay.

MPF
07-09-2011, 08:14 PM
FUCK YEAH!!!

Maidenmagic
07-10-2011, 04:29 AM
I've been starting to get into these guys, since Ray Alder is from Fates Warning (A band I love.) I didn't like the first album. Not because Alder wasn't the main vocalist because none of the melodies stood out. It seems like the band was trying too hard to tell a story in their songs. I've been listening to the second album and this one song "Scarred" blew me away.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I bought the first Redemption album because Alder was on it. I didn't care for it so I forgot all about them. Missed the second album totally. Re-discovered them with The Origins of Ruin. Loved it. Snowfall on Judgement Day was great, as well. I went back and got The Fullness of Time but haven't given it the time it deserves.

I love Redemption because I think this is what Fates Warning should sound like. Really looking forward to this new one.

Maiden33
07-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I love Redemption because I think this is what Fates Warning should sound like now.

Fixed.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Fixed.

Well yeah, that's what I meant.

I love FW, they've just gone soft.

Maiden33
07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Well yeah, that's what I meant.

I love FW, they've just gone soft.

I prefer FWX to both albums that proceed it, so I can't act like I thought they were strictly on a downward trajectory - but at this point it's been like 8 years, it's hard to really get any feel for what Fates Warning actually IS these days. Though supposedly we're going to get a John Arch album with all of Fates backing him this year, AND an actual Fates album with Alder on vocals in 2012. So who knows.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-10-2011, 11:59 AM
The last 3 FW albums had hits and misses for me. And yes, it is hard to say exactly what FW is these days. Not really Prog-metal, per se. Maybe Prog-Hard Rock or Prog-Metal light? Still a great band to see live.

MPF
07-10-2011, 12:04 PM
The last 3 FW albums had hits and misses for me. And yes, it is hard to say exactly what FW is these days. Not really Prog-metal, per se. Maybe Prog-Hard Rock or Prog-Metal light? Still a great band to see live.

Exactly, they haven't made an album since 2004.

ravenheart
07-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Though supposedly we're going to get a John Arch album with all of Fates backing him this year

The Arch/Matheos album is called 'Sympathetic Resonance' and comes out in September on Metal Blade Records. The rest of the band is Frank Aresti, Joey Vera and Bobby Jarzombek.

I have two songs, which you will have noticed me post in the Now Listening thread a week or two ago. They're awesome :D

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Never got into Arch-era FW, but I'm interested in hearing the new collaboration.

ravenheart
07-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Never got into Arch-era FW, but I'm interested in hearing the new collaboration.

Check out John Arch's solo EP. That's pretty damn sweet.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
From Redemption's FB page:

REDEMPTION, the US progressive metal band featuring in its ranks guitarist/songwriter Nick van Dyk and legendary Fates Warning vocalist Ray Alder, proudly announces that their newest, 5th studio album release and follow-up to the highly successful “Snowfall On Judgment Day” in 2009, will be entitled “This Mortal Coil” and is to be released on September 26th, 2011 in Europe and October 11th, 2011 in North America via InsideOutMusic.

REDEMPTION recorded and mixed “This Mortal Coil” with legendary producer Neil Kernon (Queensryche, Nevermore, Kansas, etc.). The album's artwork, which makes its first appearance with this press release, was created by acclaimed artist and longtime band collaborator Travis Smith*

(Opeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Nevermore, etc).

REDEMPTION’s Nick van Dyk checked in commenting on the album as follows:*

I'm extremely pleased to announce that work on ‘This Mortal Coil’ has been completed.*

It was a pleasure to work with Neil Kernon during the production, although I dare say we had more challenges and curve-balls in this process than either of us is accustomed to. Nonetheless we overcame everything in our path, from internet failures to lightning strikes, and since one of the themes of this CD is essentially overcoming adversity, the production process served as a bit of a metaphor for the whole concept!"

"The new CD continues our creative effort to combine heaviness with melody -- fusing those disparate elements has always been part of REDEMPTION's sound, along with an element that I have called emotional urgency, which we've maintained here. All in all, it sounds like REDEMPTION -- although importantly I think it's by far our best-sounding record, owing to the work of Neil Kernon and the mastering of Alan Douches."

And Van Dyk adds regarding the artwork:
We have worked once again with the incredibly talented Travis Smith on our art; we work very well together and he has a proven knack for bringing my concepts to life visually."*

Most recently, REDEMPTION have announced a string of European concerts to support the release of “This Mortal Coil” in early October 2011, including a headlining slot at this year's edition of the “ProgPower Europe” festival.

REDEMPTION Live in Europe 2011:

1. Oct - London, UK, The Underworld

2. Oct - Baarlo, The Netherlands, Progpower Europe

4. Oct - Pratteln, Switzerland, Galery Music Bar/Z-7

5. Oct - Fontaneto D’Agogna / Novara, Italy, Phenomenon Club

7. Oct - Essen, Germany, Turock

8. Oct - Copenhagen, Denmark, Denmark Rock Festival

Direct support act on these shows will come from the Italian proggers KINGCROW.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.insideoutmusic.com/media/news/large/634471684097703750.jpg

DethMaiden
07-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Awesome, another fucking album that will undoubtedly make a run at my top ten. Just what I need. :bouville:

:tongue:

Akumu
07-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I really like this band... I ashamedly haven't given Snowfall on Judgment Day any proper listens yet, but The Fullness of Time helped me through some dark times last year. I'm looking forward to this, and I love the cover. :fist:

MPF
07-26-2011, 05:07 PM
I can't wait for this. Redemption is a band that can't fail.

*For those that are interested or care, I named their live CD/DVD, Frozen In The Moment*

ravenheart
07-27-2011, 01:54 AM
*For those that are interested or care, I named their live CD/DVD, Frozen In The Moment*

I thought that was Maiden33... :eyes:

MPF
07-27-2011, 06:09 AM
I thought that was Maiden33... :eyes:

Nope that was me. I got the document proof as well. When I wake up, I'll post the pics.

MPF
08-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Redemption: Blink Of An Eye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWiLus1Qfqg&feature=autoshare

And other news:

THIS MORTAL COIL, which was recorded and mixed by legendary producer Neil Kernon (Queensryche, Nevermore, Kansas, etc.) and comes packaged with strongly symbolical artwork by acclaimed artist and longtime band collaborator Travis Smith (Opeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Nevermore, etc.), is a union of REDEMPTION’s established full-on metal direction of the last five years and the prog metal sound of their early days. The end result is a record that appeals to anyone with a mind for shred with substance, guaranteed to please diehard REDEMPTION fans and win over new ones along the way. Limited edition Digipak 2CD includes a bonus disc with 6 special cover songs (e.g. Elton John, Toto, Journey).

Disc 1:

1. Path Of The Wirlwind 05:26
2. Blink Of An Eye 05:57
3. No Tickets To The Funeral 06:26
4. Dreams From The Pit 09:11
5. Noonday Devil 05:03
6. Let It Rain 07:21
7. Focus 05:43
8. Perfect 04:48
9. Begin Again 06:11
10. Stronger Than Death 05:29
11. Departure Of The Pale Horse 10:15

Disc 2
1. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding Originally by Elton John 10:31
2. Jane Originally by Starship 04:03
3. Hold The Line Originally by Toto 03:40
4. Edge Of The Blade Originally by Journey 04:36
5. Love To Love Originally by UFO 07:02
6. Precious Things Originally by Tori Amos 07:23

Maiden33
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Holy shit - Edge of the Blade? Probably the most underrated Journey song. REALLY excited to hear that.

ravenheart
08-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Ooh, 'Love To Love' by UFO, now that's interesting.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Jane by Jefferson Starship? Sweet. Loved that song growing up.

Maidenmagic
08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll just wait for the next Fates Warning album.

Maiden33
08-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Ooh, 'Love To Love' by UFO, now that's interesting.

That and the Tori Amos songs are from the Origins of Ruin sessions, so the tracks have been around. Ages ago they had Love to Love up on their myspace page, and I only heard it once, but as I recall out was outstanding. I'm very glad they're making it widely available.

MPF
08-10-2011, 02:30 PM
I'll just wait for the next Fates Warning album.

You're making a HUGE mistake. Redemption is one of the best Progressive Metal bands in existence.

Maidenmagic
08-10-2011, 02:59 PM
You're making a HUGE mistake. Redemption is one of the best Progressive Metal bands in existence.

In my opinion, fates warning is catchier. None of the redemption songs (and I've heard most of them) have stuck in my head. And they should have done a Kate Bush cover, since we all know she is the best female vocalist. Tori Amos is just an imitator. I wonder how Ray Alder will sing "Jane."

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-10-2011, 06:19 PM
The new song didn't do much for me. Pretty much Redemption-by-numbers.

Maiden33
08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
1) I listened to the stream of 6 new songs on Metal Express Radio earlier today... the track linked to here was probably the 5th-best of the 6, so if you're not floored, I wouldn't be too concerned.

2) Redemption isn't really catchy, but I don't really see that as the point - that's not their "Schtick". They've always been a band where if you really want to appreciate it, you need to listen to the songs a few times and really hear the lyrics.