PDA

View Full Version : Origin -- Cleveland, OH -- July 6th, 2011

Natrlhi
07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Venue: Peabody's
Source: Yours Truly / jd091

I arrived too late to see Abysmal Dawn because of traffic, and parking was an absolute whore (The Tribe was playing the Yankees - which we won 5-3 :rocker: - and there were several other special events going on around the venue as well). (See JD's post further down the page.)

Vital Remains
Where Is Your God Now? / Icons of Evil
Savior to None, Failure for All
Hammer Down the Nails
Let the Killing Begin / Dechristianize

I don't have the set list for Hate Eternal, but they were heavy as fuck and I liked them. (See JD's post further down the page.)

The Origin set was similar to what has been posted recently, but in a slightly different order (plus, we got "The Burner" :fist:). Here is my best shot at it - I will try to clean it up and post some more details of the show tomorrow when I have some time. I had a hard time set-listing this time around, because I was in the front row taking pictures & video, dodging / helping stage divers and shouting in Jason Keyser's face the whole time (speaking of which...note to James Lee...you have officially been replaced, bitch).

Origin
Expulsion of Fury
Purgatory --> Conceiving Death
Wrath of Vishnu
Vomit You Out
Implosion of Eternity
Staring From the Abyss
Finite
The Burner :fist:
Swarm --> Saligia :rocker: :drool:
The Aftermath
Antithesis
Portal :bowdown:

mankvill
07-06-2011, 10:32 PM
:lovedup:

jd091
07-06-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm too tired to post much here right now, but I'll look up Hate Eternal's tomorrow and give my :2cents: of the concert. Fucking awesome.

Fun hanging with ya, too! I hope I didn't jump on you when I dived, I was trying to avoid where you were at. :lol:

And OH MY LORD PORTAL. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE.

Alduin
07-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Awesome, this mean that hate eternal is probably headlining tonight in Toronto, so unbelievably stoked for this

Natrlhi
07-07-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm too tired to post much here right now, but I'll look up Hate Eternal's tomorrow and give my :2cents: of the concert.Feel free to weigh in on any of the other set lists, too. I've got nothing for AD, the Vital set needs confirming, and there's even a hole or two in the Origin set. Like I said above, I was more in it for having fun last night than for trying to remember the set list. I've seen Origin three times now, so it was high time I had some fucking fun and turned my brain off for once at a show. ;)

Fun hanging with ya, too! I hope I didn't jump on you when I dived, I was trying to avoid where you were at. :lol:Ditto. I tried to catch you after the show for a metalsetlists photo op, but you were running to your car like it was on fire. We'll have to do it next time. (Speaking of photos, I got some pics and vids with you in them...gotta download that shit and maybe post something online later.)

And OH MY LORD PORTAL. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE.Saligia was fucking tits, too. Told ya. ;)

jd091
07-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Feel free to weigh in on any of the other set lists, too. I've got nothing for AD, the Vital set needs confirming, and there's even a hole or two in the Origin set. Like I said above, I was more in it for having fun last night than for trying to remember the set list. I've seen Origin three times now, so it was high time I had some fucking fun and turned my brain off for once at a show. ;)

Ditto. I tried to catch you after the show for a metalsetlists photo op, but you were running to your car like it was on fire. We'll have to do it next time. (Speaking of photos, I got some pics and vids with you in them...gotta download that shit and maybe post something online later.)

Saligia was fucking tits, too. Told ya. ;)

Ah, sorry! It was late, and I wanted to get home since I had to get up around 6:30 for work. Forgot about that. I'll catch you at Obscura. Saligia was absolutely crazy.

jd091
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Ok, sets for the other bands:

Abysmal Dawn: (I'm pretty sure these are the songs, not 100% sure of the order)
Programmed to Consume
Compulsory Resurrection?
Pixilated Ignorance
Manufactured Humanity?
Leveling the Plane of Existence
In Service of Time

Vital Remains:
Icons of Evil
Hammer Down the Nails
Dechristianize

Both Dechristianize and Icons of Evil had like, epic 2 minute intros played beforehand.

Hate Eternal:
Rebirth
The Eternal Ruler
Thorns Of Acacia
Behold Judas
Lake Ablaze
Bringer of Storms
Haunting Abound
The Art of Redemption
Phoenix Amongst the Ashes
Tombeau (Le Tombeau de la Fureur et des Flammes)
I, Monarch
King of All Kings

The underlined songs I know for a fact that they played. I'm just familiar with their new stuff. The rest, I filled in from srm90's set of the LA show, since I assume it was the same.

As for Origin, I think you had it right for the most part. It might have been a little out of order in the middle, I forget. Expulsion, Purgatory, and Conceiving Death were definitely played first. I know for a fact that they played Swarm and Vomit You Out.

Review will follow shortly.

jd091
07-07-2011, 10:43 AM
So, my first show back in Cleveland in a long time! Thankfully, Cleveland did not disappoint, and I still feel that Cleveland's shows are just a little bit crazier and more passionate than the shows in Chicago.

I knew the Tribe game was gonna hold up traffic, so I left really early with my friends to reach Peabody's. We got there around 6:25, and although the doors were supposed to open at 6:30, they didn't let us in until about 6:45 or so. One of the local bands were playing already as we were walking in. Thankfully (something I don't remember since the couple times I've been to Peabody's in the past it was winter), they had a fenced in side patio area for people to hang out, smoke, and sit down at some picnic tables. You could hear the bands perfectly out there, so we hung out there until Abysmal Dawn came on. The first opening band got really butthurt when they left the stage, saying: "I just wanna thank Peabody's for being great, and making us start playing 15 minutes before the doors opened so you only heard half our set. Thank You." Ouch...

Nat, it sucks that you missed Abysmal Dawn, because they were fan-fucking-tastic. I had heard a bit of their album stuff before and it was solid, but now I'm a huge fan after seeing them. My biggest surprise of the night. Super tight, and the lead guitarist/singer could shred really well. They also managed to get some pretty crazy pits going on, probably the best of the night next to Origin. Definitely a band to keep an eye on!

After they got off, I found Nat and we hung out until Vital Remains came on. I feel much wiser now! :lol:

Surprisingly, I almost felt like there were less people hanging out in the venue to check out Vital Remains than there were for Abysmal Dawn. The pits weren't as crazy, either. Nevertheless, they were solid live. The sound was a bit off and bass-heavy, but they put on a good show. They tried to get people stage diving, but there were only 2 rows of people up front and it didn't end too well... I tried it once, and I think I seriously hurt some girl in the face on accident. Thats the second time I've done that! We managed to get some nice, "SATAN! SATAN!" Chants going on, and the lead singer was pretty funny. Since the door outside was open and it was still broad daylight, he was like, "Ususally we only come out after dark, since its evil, but we'll make an exception here!"

After another break, Hate Eternal came on for a solid hour. To be honest, my first impression of them was "this is HEEEEEEAVY", and some good pits, then about halfway through the set I got a little bored. Their songs kind of meld together, and are very "noisy" as opposed to "riffy". Eric was also having awful technical difficulties, and his guitar cut out for a good 2 minutes at one point, and they had to just kind of stop the song to fix it. I'm glad I saw them, but I'm also really glad they didn't headline.

And then... Orign. Oh. My. God. These guys were just incredible. I think they've become my favorite death metal band I've seen live, over Nile. And I'll give it to Jason Keyser; that show wouldn't have been even a quarter as crazy as it was last night if it weren't for his stage presence and getting the crowd involved. The show started off a little bit slow, and then soon enough Jason was calling for the crowd to go crazy, pulling people up on stage to dive, getting circle pits going, etc. There were a bunch more people up by the stage, so the diving ended up actually working. There was also this little kid, no older than 10 or 12, dressed up in corpsepaint, who kept coming up on the stage. Jason loved him, and just wanted him to stand with the band and headbang the whole time. He must have stagedived 20 times, too, which was fun because he weighed nothing.

Multiple times, Jason pulled a bunch of people up on the stage to just headbang with the band. For Portal, there must have been 20 people up on the stage banging their head with the band. I stood right behind Paul Ryan most of that time, kind of just in awe from his amazingness. I was also in the front for the last third of the set, and Jason put the mic in my mouth a bunch of times. A couple times I was just like, "WAAAAGHGRGH GRRAGHGHGHGH", and I think it sounded alright, but before they played Antithesis, I yelled out, "fucking Antithesis!" as Jason was talking with the crowd. He then came up to me and was like, "What was that song you wanted?" And put the mic in my face as I yelled it again, and they started the song right afterwards... :drool: I also got the mic in my face for the "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds part", which pretty much was the greatest moment of my fucking life.

In the end, crazy awesome concert. I'm so glad it was in a place like Peabody's where we could go crazy and have a fun time on stage, as opposed to the Nazi Regime of security that is Reggie's in Chicago. Its gonna be hard ranking my concerts this year (Dillinger, Amon Amarth, Terror, Magrudergrind, Alcest and Enslaved, Opeth...) but this might be a contender for the best time I've had all year. DAMN YOU, 2011!

larvtard
07-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Vital Remains didn't have great sound when I saw them either. Still fun to see, but ehhh. "Dechristanize" is their only good song anyway.

I guess now I'm not that sad that Hate Eternal isn't at my date. And I'm REALLY excited for Origin now, almost as much as Revocation! :drool: Everyone on here's saying they're so good live...

Always love your reviews man.

Natrlhi
07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Vital Remains:
Icons of Evil
Hammer Down the Nails
Dechristianize

Both Dechristianize and Icons of Evil had like, epic 2 minute intros played beforehand.The intros for "Icons of Evil" and "Dechristianize" were definitely "Where Is Your God Now?" and "Let the Killing Begin", respectively - just like they are on the albums.

I'll edit the original post accordingly.

jd091
07-07-2011, 11:16 AM
The intros for "Icons of Evil" and "Dechristianize" were definitely "Where Is Your God Now?" and "Let the Killing Begin", respectively - just like they are on the albums.

I'll edit the original post accordingly.

Ah, okay. I'm not too familiar with their material, but my friend was. That shall be promptly remedied tonight, along with Abysmal Dawn.

Vital Remains didn't have great sound when I saw them either. Still fun to see, but ehhh. "Dechristanize" is their only good song anyway.

I guess now I'm not that sad that Hate Eternal isn't at my date. And I'm REALLY excited for Origin now, almost as much as Revocation! :drool: Everyone on here's saying they're so good live...

Always love your reviews man.

Thanks man! :brofist:

To be honest, as much ad I love their new album, Hate Eternal was the band I enjoyed least last night. Origin is the band everybody really needs to see on this tour.

Natrlhi
07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Always love your reviews man.Why thank you, kind sir. You have much faith in me, considering I hadn't even written my review yet. ;)

So here's another review in the same thread - two for the price of one!

Basically everything JD has already indicated is accurate...I'll just add a few more fun details.

I missed the Abysmal Dawn set, as I said. I wanted to see them, but the forces of nature had other plans. Sounds like I have to catch them next time, though. The fans didn't get all that excited about Vital Remains, but they definitely didn't suck. Like JD said, they had some mixing problems with their sound - but still, they were fine as an opening act to what lay ahead. I also agree with JD that Hate Eternal were heavy as fuck - and we had a conversation about that, in fact - but I also agree that their set got a bit boring. I'm thinking they might be a bit better on album, where the listener can hear all the detail and technicality of their playing. Both Erik Rutan and J.J. Hrubocvak (bassist for HE and guitarist for Vile, another good death metal band with an album coming out this year) do make some evil grimaces up there on stage, though, so there's that I guess. :D Anyways, HE was fun to watch and very, very heavy - and that amounted to yet another decent warm-up for Origin.

Now as everyone has been saying, Origin is the band to see on this tour - hands fucking down. However, I'll take it a bit further than that. First of all, I've seen them twice, both times with vocalist James Lee, whose exit from the band had some folks quite concerned that Origin would be left without a decent frontman. Pshaw, with a capital "P" and a capital "shaw". Fuck no. This new guy Jason Keyser they picked up from Skinless is an absolute beast. Not only does he scream like a banshee and banter with the crowd as well as Lee ever did, but he's an animal on the stage. He runs, struts, climbs, jumps, crawls, headbangs and strikes poses like an angry epileptic on crack. Plus, he involves the crowd on a level that Lee never did. From the very start of the set, he insisted not only that the fans mosh and headbang like crazy, but he practically demanded that they rush the stage and dive off. After only a few folks did so, he started pulling them up out of the crowd himself. Now that's a DIY attitude if I ever saw one. :metal:

All this, and it certainly didn't help matters for those who were trying to catch a nap in the back of the venue that the music itself was not only spastically insane and fast, but also brutally heavy and at the same time technically flawless. I swear, these fuckers Paul Ryan (guitar), John Longstreth (drums) and Mike Flores (bass) make it look so easy, too. It just makes me fucking sick. I mean, they don't even look like they're trying, and they're up there playing some of the fastest, most brutal, technical death metal around. All of the other bands were making weird grimaces and had looks on their faces like they were trying to shit a bowling ball, and then there's these guys up there blowing everybody else away with ease, and smiling the whole time. Their fingers (and feet, in John's case) move at light speed, and they stand there and smile at you while they crush your fucking skull into dust. Bastards. Cruel, wonderful bastards.

Anyway, I think you get the idea. I loved these guys. :D

The song selection was pretty awesome, too. Every one of their studio albums was represented - one from the self-titled, two from "Informis...", two from "Echoes...", four from "Antithesis" and five from "Entity" - which, by the way, is quite possibly their best album yet - you need to stop reading this review, go look up where these guys are playing near you, go to the show, buy the CD and rage your ass off in the pit...NOW!!!

I mean it. Get the fuck out of here and go see this tour, if you know what's good for you.

Horns up,
The Nat :horns:

larvtard
07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
After only a few folks did so, he started pulling them up out of the crowd himself. Now that's a DIY attitude if I ever saw one. :metal:

Holy fuck! :eek: That's awesome! :party:

jd091
07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
:fist: Described the energy better than I could. I'm just looking forward to the next time I can see them already. And if you got any good photos or videos, you know, feel free to share 'em :D

OraclesofAgony
07-07-2011, 02:56 PM
(speaking of which...note to James Lee...you have officially been replaced, bitch).

:horns: Damn right.

Natrlhi
07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
:horns: Damn right.:lol: I hated to say it, but it's true. I always liked Lee, but Keyser takes Origin's live presence to a whole new level. I was blown away at how much more fun this show was than the first two times I saw them (which I also fucking loved).

OraclesofAgony
07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
:lol: I hated to say it, but it's true. I always liked Lee, but Keyser takes Origin's live presence to a whole new level. I was blown away at how much more fun this show was than the first two times I saw them (which I also fucking loved).

I liked Lee's vocals but he wasn't much of a frontman. Jason is a great vocalist and an amazing frontman, which takes Origin's live performance to another level. I saw them a few years ago at Summer Slaughter and that performance doesn't even compare to the one I saw a couple weeks ago.

OraclesofAgony
07-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I also got the mic in my face for the "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds part", which pretty much was the greatest moment of my fucking life.

:rocker: That was an incredible moment when it happened to me as well.

Epidemic Reign
07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Vital Remains
Where Is Your God Now? / Icons of Evil
Hammer Down the Nails
Let the Killing Begin / Dechristianize

I don't understand fucking around with the intros when you've got such a short set. I say cut them and throw in another actual song for your fans.

the chewbacca defense
07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Im curious to see if Origin gets away with getting people to stagedive at the Ottobar, as they are strict about it. In fact theres a funny attack attack live video where everyones going ape shit, and crowd surfing, but when the little emo kids get on stage they just kinda walk down the stairs afraid to get in trouble

jd091
07-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Im curious to see if Origin gets away with getting people to stagedive at the Ottobar, as they are strict about it. In fact theres a funny attack attack live video where everyones going ape shit, and crowd surfing, but when the little emo kids get on stage they just kinda walk down the stairs afraid to get in trouble

:lol: That's classic! You could ask Llama_lom or Garagemetal, I think either 1 or both of them went to the show in Chicago at Reggies where they outlaw stagediving.

Natrlhi
07-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't understand fucking around with the intros when you've got such a short set. I say cut them and throw in another actual song for your fans.Good point.

Ape
07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I just listened to this band for the first time yesterday I was instantly addicted. Great stuff.

llama lom
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't understand fucking around with the intros when you've got such a short set. I say cut them and throw in another actual song for your fans.

This. I'm pretty sure this is the same set that they had at Summer Slaughter so I'd like to see some new stuff. I still have to see Infidel!

:lol: That's classic! You could ask Llama_lom or Garagemetal, I think either 1 or both of them went to the show in Chicago at Reggies where they outlaw stagediving.

What show? I've only been to Reggie's for the Ensiferum show.

jd091
07-07-2011, 08:42 PM
What show? I've only been to Reggie's for the Ensiferum show.

Ah sorry, it's Garagemetal then. I knew one of you Chicago guys hit up the Origin show, I just forgot who. And I'm really jealous of you for Ensiferum (and Fintroll, I assume you're talking about the one last February). I was out of town for that... :flame:

llama lom
07-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Ah sorry, it's Garagemetal then. I knew one of you Chicago guys hit up the Origin show, I just forgot who. And I'm really jealous of you for Ensiferum (and Fintroll, I assume you're talking about the one last February). I was out of town for that... :flame:

Nah I'm back in MA for the summer. My date is tomorrow.

I am. :D

Boatvan
07-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I can confirm the Vital setlist. Also, I have seen them live before. Their levels were way off this time. You could not really hear the lead guitar but they are real showmen. Anyway, I encourage anyone to listen to Vital studio stuff. This concert did not do it justice.

GarageMetal468
07-11-2011, 10:09 PM

I was at the Origin show but I had to leave a few songs into their set because of car troubles. But from what I heard, near the end the singer said something like "OK SMALL PEOPLE ON TOP OF BIG PEOPLE, WE'RE GONNA HAVE A CHICKENFIGHT MOSH PIT"

FFFFFFFUUUUUUU I wish I could've been there to see it... But as you could guess, security stopped it pretty quickly. Again, this is from what friends told me.

I was at Ensiferum too. There were no crowd surfers there though I was tempted to go up because of how awesome Ensiferum were... Also I did get away with it at Municipal Waste last summer but that's cause a LOT of people were doing it.

And of course, there's the classic free Magrudergrind show where security got ROCKED by the insane amount of crowd surfers and stage divers!

jd091
07-12-2011, 05:32 AM
And of course, there's the classic free Magrudergrind show where security got ROCKED by the insane amount of crowd surfers and stage divers!

The last 60 seconds of that Magrudergrind show is something I'll never forget :lol:

AnataFan4Life
07-12-2011, 08:58 AM
How long does each band get to play at this show? I need to know so i can decide whether or not i can go.

jd091
07-12-2011, 09:18 AM
How long does each band get to play at this show? I need to know so i can decide whether or not i can go.

Abysmal dawn and Vital both got 30 minute slots, and Both Origin and Hate Eternal played for well over an hour each. Full sets.

larvtard
07-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I was at the Origin show but I had to leave a few songs into their set because of car troubles. But from what I heard, near the end the singer said something like "OK SMALL PEOPLE ON TOP OF BIG PEOPLE, WE'RE GONNA HAVE A CHICKENFIGHT MOSH PIT"

Holy shit that is awesome! I hope by small you mean skinny though...I am 6 feet, but I'm not strong enough to hold another metalhead on top of me... :bouville:

And I hope Origin plays a longer set at our date, cuz' they're headlining