PDA

View Full Version : Albums Everyone Hates That You Like

BloodoftheKings
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Many bands have that one album that everybody seems to hate. Some of those albums sound pretty good to me and I don't understand what all the hate is about. I wanna know what albums are like that with you guys.

Here's mine:

Exodus - Force of Habit (Thorn in my Side happens to be one of my favorite Exodus songs)

Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus (but I completely understand why it's hated)

Anthrax - Stomp 442 (it's ok, don't get why it's hated)

3 Inches of Blood - Here Waits Thy Doom (I love Rock in Hell, fight me)

mankvill
07-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't exactly love it, but I like St. Anger a helluva lot more than Re-Load, even though Re-Load has one of my favorite 'tallica songs on it.

slapguitarer
07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I like Death Magnetic a lot. Also, the Doom EP from JFAC and ITM's first album :eyes:

hellawaits77ny
07-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Very cool thread. I'm w/ manvkill, I like St Anger!! Here are a few:

Metallica - St. Anger : True, lyrically and technically it's shit. However, I love to listen to it. It's raw, heavy and emotional. Metallica knew they'd get backlash for it and they didn't care.

Metallica - Load : Love this album. Beautiful music. I don't care what anyone says.

Slayer - Diabolus In Musica : Slayer's attempt at experimentation, and going mainstream somewhat. There is certainly some filler (Scrum, Perversions of Pain), but there is some great shit like Bitter Peace, Stain of Mind + In The Name of God.

Trivium - The Crusade : My favorite Trivium album TBH. I prefer their more thrash-oriented shit than their usual metalcore style.

Slipknot - Vol. 3 : Most people here hate Slipknot in general. But even fans backlashed at this album. A little more mainstream than their first 2 albums, but I love it. And it's MUCH, MUCH better than All Hope is Gone.

God Forbid - Constitution of Treason : My favorite album of theirs. Great songs throughout, and IMO the best-produced GF album.

Deicide - Till Death Do Us Part : I don't love the album, but I listen to it on occasion, and don't think it's nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

Korn - Follow The Leader : Their "sellout" album. Yeah, it's much more mainstream than their first 2 albums, but it's an amazing album IMO. The lesser known tracks are better than the singles.

Terror - The Damned, The Shamed : Yeah, there's some filler towards the end, but the first 5 or 6 tracks are great.

mankvill
07-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I also really like Brain Drill.

Also, unbridled non-sarcastic complete and total love for all things Dragonforce.

hellawaits77ny
07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I like Death Magnetic a lot.

Me too. Although I wouldn't say it's hated. Not as well recieved as their first 4, but probably the best reviewed album since Justice. If you don't count the gay mainstream success of the Black Album.

makethemsuffer12
07-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Metallica - Load, ReLoad, St. Anger
Trivium - The Crusade
Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus
Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone (This one is kinda 50/50 on the love/hate ratio, but I don't get why some people hate on it the way they do.)
Slayer - God Hates Us All, Christ Illusion

Hellawaits, how is that God Forbid album hated, aside from elitists that shun anything metalcore?

Natrlhi
07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Slayer - God Hates Us AllDoesn't belong on this list. Album is fucking awesome. Those who disagree are just fucking wrong and can't admit it.

Wizzbang11
07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Autopsy's Shitfun is fantastic. Sometimes I like it more than severed.
Wolverine Blues is pretty cool.

makethemsuffer12
07-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Doesn't belong on this list. Album is fucking awesome. Those who disagree are just fucking wrong and can't admit it.

I know a few people here (such as yourself) love it as much as I do, but I constantly see it written off as "just some nu-metal album."

BloodoftheKings
07-06-2011, 09:59 PM
GHUA s good, not great. It can sort of be considered a hated album. This is the review from No Life til Metal, I found it to be pretty entertaining.

OK, Iíll just be upfront and honest, the title to this album alone irritates me and is an immediate stumbling block in my enjoyment of the album. To be quite frank, had someone not purchased this CD for me, I donít think it ever would have made my collection. It seems to me that Slayer are attacking religion, and Christianity in the process, while at the same time promoting fascism. Yes, I know Slayer are all about the image and that they consider it nothing more than mindless entertainment. However, lines like ďAll men are not created equal, only the strong will prosper; only the strong will conquerĒ sound like something you would hear come out of the mouth of Hitler during his terror reign. Also, how appropriate that this album came out on Sept. 11, 2001 when some brainwashed, religious, nutcases flew planes into the World Trade Center in NY and the Pentagon in Washington DC.

But enough of my personal vendetta against the verbal diarrhea. What of the music? Well, "God Hates Us All" seems very paint-by-numbers Slayer. Fast, aggressive and furious as a bat out of hell. However, for me, "God Hates Us All" comes off as very one dimensional , even comparing it to "Diabolus In Musica". Itís almost as if Slayer were trying too hard to be angry, dark and perhaps even a bit more modern. Also, for some strange reason, Tom Arayaís vocals all are drenched in distortion and are screamed out as if in some tribute to comedian Sam Kinison. On my first spin of this CD, I found myself forgetting it was on and it quickly became background noise. I had to take it into my car where I could focus a bit more on the music without distractions. Even then, the album sort of blended together from beginning to end. The modern metal influences are felt throughout. Iíve heard some fans complain that this album is "nu-metal". I certainly donít hear that, though some songs like "Seven Faces" most certainly have a more modern vibe. "Payback" most certainly does sound like any number of mallcore bands with itís incessant screaming, excessive cussing and angry "I hate you" lyrics.

OraclesofAgony
07-06-2011, 10:03 PM
I used to love God Hates Us All a lot. I still like it but not as much. It used to be my favorite Slayer album but now it's not in the top 5. However, Disciple is still one of my all-time favorite songs, especially with the intro. And also New Faith is an amazing song as well.

ShatteredFlame
07-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Eminem - Relapse

larvtard
07-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Doesn't belong on this list. Album is fucking awesome. Those who disagree are just fucking wrong and can't admit it.

:tp:

We've been through this too many times already, so I'm just gonna leave it be.

ravenheart
07-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Very cool thread

It was cool last time we did it too ;)

Metallica - St. Anger : True, lyrically and technically it's shit. However, I love to listen to it. It's raw, heavy and emotional. Metallica knew they'd get backlash for it and they didn't care.

Metallica - Load : Love this album. Beautiful music. I don't care what anyone says.

Slayer - Diabolus In Musica : Slayer's attempt at experimentation, and going mainstream somewhat. There is certainly some filler (Scrum, Perversions of Pain), but there is some great shit like Bitter Peace, Stain of Mind + In The Name of God.
I like Death Magnetic a lot
Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone
Slayer - God Hates Us All

Yep, all of these.

Others:

Megadeth - The World Needs A Hero
W.A.S.P. - KFD
Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Tim Ripper Owens - Play My Game

brutal_descent
07-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Sepultura - Roots
Metallica - Death Magnetic
Metallica - Load
Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone

Bring Me The Horizon albums in general

Also, on a side note - all the latest releases from The Big Four ranked.

1. Megadeth - Endgame
2. Metallica - Death Magnetic
3. Slayer - World Painted Blood

ravenheart
07-07-2011, 07:42 AM
1. Megadeth - Endgame

Belongs in my list of albums everyone else likes and I think sucks.

brutal_descent
07-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Belongs in my list of albums everyone else likes and I think sucks.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of any of the three albums I listed. The production and vocals on Death Magnetic suck, and the only thing that I don't like about Endgame is the filler - which takes up two thirds of the album.

ravenheart
07-07-2011, 07:47 AM
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of any of the three albums I listed. The production and vocals on Death Magnetic suck, and the only thing that I don't like about Endgame is the filler - which takes up two thirds of the album.

The thing I don't like about Endgame is the stupidly convoluted lyrics that lack all melody and have no hooks. It's like Dave cares more about making his political point than he does about writing actual vocal melodies. There are more memorable songs on The System Has Failed and Risk.

BloodoftheKings
07-07-2011, 07:48 AM
It was cool last time we did it too ;)

Should have seen this coming. If it was done once 4 years ago then who gives a shit. I searched before I made the thread and didn't see anything.

brutal_descent
07-07-2011, 07:49 AM
The thing I don't like about Endgame is the stupidly convoluted lyrics that lack all melody and have no hooks. It's like Dave cares more about making his political point than he does about writing actual vocal melodies. There are more memorable songs on The System Has Failed and Risk.

I agree.

Songs I like from Endgame:
Head Crusher, This Day We Fight

Songs I like (now) from Death Magnetic:
All Nightmare Long, The Judas Kiss

DethMaiden
07-07-2011, 07:52 AM
34.788% Complete, the Blaze Maiden albums, the self-titled Alice in Chains, Nostradamus, Tribe, Christ Illusion...

BloodoftheKings
07-07-2011, 07:54 AM
34.788% Complete, the Blaze Maiden albums, the self-titled Alice in Chains, Nostradamus, Tribe, Christ Illusion...

I know everyone ranks it the lowest of the AIC discography but I never really heard hate for that album.

brutal_descent
07-07-2011, 07:54 AM

People don't like Alice In Chains and Christ Illusion?

Natrlhi
07-07-2011, 08:04 AM
People don't like Alice In Chains and Christ Illusion?For everything that's awesome, there's at least one asshole out there who thinks he or she is cool as fuck, and hates it.

Not that Christ Illusion was awesome... :eyes:

ShatteredFlame
07-07-2011, 11:38 AM
APC - eMOTIVe
Puscifer - V Is For Vagina

2 experimental MJK albums. I could see how people wouldn't like eMOTIVe since it doesn't really sound like APC apart from "Passive". The other album is just more comical/vulgar than MJK's usual DEEP work and instead of rock/progressive/alt-metal it's musical range lies in country/trip-hop/house/industrial but that project is like crack to me.

jd091
07-07-2011, 11:39 AM
1 word: deathcore :lol:

I also really, really like "They're Only Chasing Safety" by Underoath. Fantastic record in my opinion.

BloodoftheKings
07-07-2011, 11:53 AM

The only song I notice this with is the title track. Most of the album doesn't even have political messages. 44 Minutes, 1320, Headcrusher, and The Right To Go Insane all have pretty memorable hooks.

mastodon421
07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Children Of Bodom-Relentless Reckless Forever
3 Inches Of Blood-Here Waits Thy Doom
Killswitch Engage-Killswitch Engage(2009)
Slipknot-All Hope Is Gone

Triggz
07-07-2011, 12:22 PM
1 word: deathcore :lol:

I also really, really like "They're Only Chasing Safety" by Underoath. Fantastic record in my opinion.

This. I like a fair amount of deathcore bands/albums

Whitechapel, Winds of Plague (debatable genre), Salt The Wound, The Acacia Strain (whom I LOVE), Despised Icon, All Shall Perish (somewhat debatable), After The Burial (prog deathcore).

But yeah. I also (get ready for this) sort of like Chelsea Grin. BUT ONLY ON ALBUM. Live, they are by far the worst band I have ever seen.

jd091
07-07-2011, 12:38 PM
This. I like a fair amount of deathcore bands/albums

Whitechapel, Winds of Plague (debatable genre), Salt The Wound, The Acacia Strain (whom I LOVE), Despised Icon, All Shall Perish (somewhat debatable), After The Burial (prog deathcore).

But yeah. I also (get ready for this) sort of like Chelsea Grin. BUT ONLY ON ALBUM. Live, they are by far the worst band I have ever seen.

I would say Acacia Strain and All Shall Perish are fairly well liked on this site, so you're safe with those. Acacia Strain is definitely my favorite deathcore band. And After the Burial are not deathcore, I would argue. Fantastic band also; they're pretty accepted by metalheads.

And as for Chelsea Grin, I actually didn't mind them live, but couldn't stad the record, so opposite from you.

I'm gonna compile a list of all the albums I love that people hate, stay tuned.

Natrlhi
07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm gonna compile a list of all the albums I love that people hate, stay tuned.Please don't. We don't have time to read a list that long. :finger:

jd091
07-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Please don't. We don't have time to read a list that long. :finger:

It is rather long. :eyes:

(?) indicates that I don't know if its hated widespread or not.

Acacia Strain - All their stuff (?)
All Shall Perish - All their stuff (?)
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals (?)
Architects - Ruin, Nightmares
As I Lay Dying - All their stuff (?)
Born of Osiris - The New Reign
The Devil Wears Prada - With Branches Above and Roots Below
Emmure - Speaker for the Dead
For Today - Breaker, Ekklesia
Impending Doom - There Will Be Violence
Job For A Cowboy - Ruination
Killswitch Engage - End of the Heartache (?)
Miss May I - Monument, Apologies are for the Weak
MyChildren MyBride - Lost Boy
Parkway Drive - All their stuff
Suicide Silence - The Cleansing, No Time to Bleed
Veil of Maya - All their stuff
Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement, This is Exile
Winds of Plague - Decimate the Weak, The Great Stone War

I'm not even gonna include bands I consider post-hardcore that I love (Underoath, Thursday, At the Drive In, etc) or hardcore that some people might not like (mainly Hatebreed) since I don't want to broaden out this too much.

Now that I look at it, that list isn't too terribly long. In the whole scheme of things, there's only 7-8 deathcore bands I actually like, whereas there are oceans full of copies and generic clones that I can't get into. I'm a big fan of the "Sumeriancore" style in general, some call it, like After the Burial, Veil of Maya, and Born of Osiris (their earlier stuff). And I'm a big Djent fan, so take that as you will, even though I think as a whole all the bands in the genre are either ripping off Periphery or Tesseract. Also surprisingly, I've grown to like Emmure's latest album as a guilty pleasure of mine. Bring Me The Hairspray are also a band I'm a little apathetic towards- don't hate 'em, but don't like 'em.

Stuff I absolutely abhor though are that crabcore/electronica-core shit that's in with the scene kids now. Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack, I See Stars... you know it.

But what I hate the most... more than anything... is Metallica post-Black Album and Pre-Death Magnetic. I have no idea at all how you people enjoy that!

IrritatedTrout
07-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Slayer - Christ Illusion
Anthrax - Stomp 442
Anthrax - Volume 8
All the 90's Maiden albums.
Judas Priest - Ram it Down
Ozzy - Scream
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2
Megadeth - United Abominations

Triggz
07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I noticed that it's been listed several times here, but I liked Christ Illusion a lot.

Ape
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Avenged sevenfold - sounding the seventh trumpet, waking the fallen, nightmare.

*Prepares for bashing*

DementedX14
07-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Cryptopsy - The Unspoken King
Limp Bizkit - All albums
Machine Head - The Burning Red, Supercharger
Damageplan - New Found Power
The Haunted - Unseen
Sepultura - Roots
Slayer - Diabolus In Musica
Dissection - Reinkaos
Carcass - Swansong

ShatteredFlame
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Limp Bizkit - All albums

This, mainly Chocolate Starfish(since that was the one I would listen to) but I don't even think the new one is bad.

larvtard
07-07-2011, 06:49 PM
This, mainly Chocolate Starfish(since that was the one I would listen to) but I don't even think the new one is bad.

Yup, same here. Well, the new one has like two or three good songs, and the rest is crap. I also liked Results May Vary a lot.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-07-2011, 06:54 PM
From a recent thread:

Mutiny Within: ST

BloodoftheKings
07-07-2011, 07:05 PM
From a recent thread:

Mutiny Within: ST

This for me too.

hellawaits77ny
07-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Hellawaits, how is that God Forbid album hated, aside from elitists that shun anything metalcore?

It may not be. I'm not a GF expert, but it seems like people that I've talked to about GF seem to prefer their other releases. I'm sorry if I'm misinformed. All I know is I love that fucking album, it's far above their other releases.

hellawaits77ny
07-08-2011, 12:37 AM
I noticed that it's been listed several times here, but I liked Christ Illusion a lot.

Me too. Good to see it's liked here. I don't really think the album was hated, I'd be more inclined to say it had "mixed reviews".

ravenheart
07-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Anthrax - Stomp 442
Anthrax - Volume 8
All the 90's Maiden albums.
Judas Priest - Ram it Down
Ozzy - Scream
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2

Yes to all of these.

ravenheart
07-08-2011, 03:31 AM
34.788% Complete, the self-titled Alice in Chains, Nostradamus, Tribe

And all of these.

mastodon421
07-08-2011, 07:47 AM
I purposely excluded the deathcore bands/albums I like because they are pretty much universally hated here. So it would be kind of pointless to post them imo.

OraclesofAgony
07-08-2011, 11:55 AM
This might be a stretch but I've noticed that most Morbid Angel fans, or at least a large chunk of them, do not like Gateways to Annihilation, and I absolutely love that album.

I also like Heretic which is even more hated than Gateways.

BloodoftheKings
07-08-2011, 12:05 PM
It seems like the only Morbid Angel albums everyone agrees are awesome are Altars and Covenant.

OraclesofAgony
07-08-2011, 12:10 PM
It seems like the only Morbid Angel albums everyone agrees are awesome are Altars and Covenant.

Formulas Fatal to the Flesh seems to be a universally praised album among the die-hard fans. I like that album too.

larvtard
07-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Yeah, those are the only Morbid Angel albums I like.

mastodon421
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM

I thought Blessed Are The Sick was unverisally loved as well?

BloodoftheKings
07-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I thought Blessed Are The Sick was unverisally loved as well?

I guess so. I think i've heard some negative things before.

Razor_Shark
07-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Chinese Democracy is literally my second favorite album of all time.

illuminatus917
07-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Didn't see that one coming.

treghet
07-10-2011, 06:52 PM

You'd make good buddies with ravenheart. ;)

MPF
07-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Is St. Anger barely on top?

LAXdef16
07-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Acacia Strain -All their stuff
Born of Osiris - The New Reign
Miss May I - Monument, Apologies are for the Weak
Parkway Drive - All their stuff
Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement, This is Exile
Winds of Plague - Decimate the Weak, The Great Stone War

Haha I love these bands! :eyes:
I would also include:

Iron Maiden- All of the 90's albums
Social Distortion- White Light, White Heat, White Trash
Terror- The Damned, The Shamed (one of their weaker efforts though)

ravenheart
07-11-2011, 01:34 AM

I've not placed it firmly yet, but it's in my top ten of all time without a doubt.

Razor_Shark
07-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Didn't see that one coming.

Shad up:D

Razor_Shark
07-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Is St. Anger barely on top?

No, why would it be?

ravenheart
07-11-2011, 03:04 AM
No, why would it be?

He's suggesting that your second choice album is crap, and St Anger is too, so it must be your number one. Or something.

Natrlhi
07-11-2011, 06:22 AM
It seems like the only Morbid Angel albums everyone agrees are awesome are Altars and Covenant.That's because it's true.

PowerMaiden
07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I enjoy pretty much all the Children Of Bodom albums

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

ravenheart
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I enjoy pretty much all the Children Of Bodom albums

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Ditto.

brutal_descent
07-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Ditto.

Me too, apart from the new one.

Travis The Dragon
07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Everything by Hawthorne Heights.
Yes, I know they get a LOT of hate from the metal crowd as emo and all, but I really enjoy their overall sound and style.

Also, St. Anger has been growing in me quite a bit.

And, Queensrcyhe's Operation Mindcrime 2. I found that if I look at it as just a new QR album and not a sequel to the original, it's much more enjoyable. In fact, I consider it the best post-Promised Land album by them.

ravenheart
07-11-2011, 04:44 PM
And, Queensrcyhe's Operation Mindcrime 2. I found that if I look at it as just a new QR album and not a sequel to the original, it's much more enjoyable. In fact, I consider it the best post-Promised Land album by them.

Tribe is the best, but otherwise this makes sense. Which is rare ;)

ravenheart
07-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Me too, apart from the new one.

I have it... but I haven't listened to it :eyes:

Razor_Shark
07-12-2011, 02:33 AM
He's suggesting that your second choice album is crap, and St Anger is too, so it must be your number one. Or something.

I don't hate St. Anger by any means, don't care for it, but it could have been much worse.

A lot of my love for Chinese Democracy is because it is ahead of it's time, and Buckethead shines like a diamond on it, as does Bumblefoot.

ravenheart
07-12-2011, 03:17 AM
I don't hate St. Anger by any means, don't care for it, but it could have been much worse.

Trolling knows no logic.

A lot of my love for Chinese Democracy is because it is ahead of it's time, and Buckethead shines like a diamond on it, as does Bumblefoot.

I do kinda wish Bucket were still in the band, but the current Bumble/Ashba/Fortus line-up is doing a great job.

Razor_Shark
07-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Trolling knows no logic.

I'm serious, I find it much more listenable than a lot of albums.
I do kinda wish Bucket were still in the band, but the current Bumble/Ashba/Fortus line-up is doing a great job.

I'm fine with anything as long as Slash stays the hell away from them, he brought the band down with his generic crappy whatever he did.

Razor_Shark
07-12-2011, 04:28 AM
I will also say I like Anti-Ben, and all their albums are not only hilarious but decently well played in my opinion, I think a combination of their name and lyrical content give them a bad rep of being a joke band though, when it should be the good rep of being a joke band. Seriously if you think they are serious about hating everyone named Ben then you should stop thinking.