PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting 2009

larvtard
07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
[I came up with a cool idea. Let's all find out top-ten lists we made back in '09, then let's see what our top-ten for 2009 would look like now, and compare.]

OLD

1. Mastodon- Crack The Skye
2. Slayer- World Painted Blood
3.Every Time I Die- New Junk Aesthetic
4. Lazarus A.D.- The Onslaught
5. Kylesa- Static Tensions
6. Daath- The Concealers
7. Brutal Truth- Evolution Through Revolution
8. Struck by Lightning- Serpents
9. Converge- Axe to Fall
10. Goatwhore- Carving Out The Eyes of God

NOW

1. Vektor – Black Future
Well I know I hadn’t heard this in 2009. For those who of you not in the know, Black Future is actually the greatest single album ever recorded in musical history. If you disagree, then come at me bro, by all means.

2. Goatwhore – Carving Out the Eyes of God
I LOVE Goatwhore. This album is just so damn good. The individual songs are fantastic, and extremely catchy to boot. The particular style is hard to pin down but I’d say it’s blackened death metal meets black n’ roll. My love for this has grown exponentially since 2009.

3. Necrophobic – Death to All
Hot damn! If you haven’t heard of these guys, check them out NOW. Swedish death metal crossed with blackened death metal. Yeah, it’s as good as it sounds. “Celebration of the Goat” and the title track are two of the best metal songs I have ever heard in my lifetime, but the rest of the album is almost just as good. I believe I did hear this is in 2009, but I must have not heard it enough to really make a good judgment because it didn’t even appear on my list.

4. Every Time I Die – New Junk Aesthetic
Okay, I know I will get flak for this one, not because it isn’t metal, but because it is common knowledge, among here anyway, that these guys suck. Well, they don’t. This album is good as fuck, and I don’t believe my opinion on it has really changed since.

5. Mastodon – Crack the Skye
So this album was my #1 pick back in ’09. What happened? I listened to it just a little too many times. I burned out on it, my friends, plain and simple. I haven’t listened to this album many times since. But even though it is still painful for me to listen to, there’s no doubt in my mind that this is still a fantastic album. “The Czar” and the title track are enough for me.

6. Revocation – Existence is Futile
I had definitely heard this album in 2009, but I don’t think I had listened to it enough times to really start enjoying it. Well, now I have listened to enough times, and, as you can see, I do enjoy it a lot. Revocation are basically tech-death to the max but everything about them screams thrash. I don’t know how to explain this any better, you’ll have to listen to it for yourself. There are some very good tracks on here, and some weaker ones, too. But the overall sound of the album is revolutionary, and that’s why I’m putting it on here.

7. Between the Buried and Me – The Great Misdirect
Hahaha. I had heard this in 2009, but I didn’t think it was that good, to tell you the truth. I’ve changed my mind since then, as you can see. This album is the only thing by them I can listen to the whole way through. Each and every song is incredible in its own way. Sure, some are better than others, but that isn’t exactly relevant anyways.

8. Anaal Nathrakh – In The Constellation of the Black Widow
I had not heard this in 2009. Good thing: my adolescent metal mind probably wouldn’t have been able to handle it. Don’t ask me to describe Anaal Nathrakh to you guys, because I don’t know how to. They sound like nothing I’ve heard before, and that is no lie. Some of the tracks do bore but the ones that don’t are mind-blowingly amazing. That’s the best I can do.

9. Tribulation – The Horror
I just discovered this album this year. REALLY, really good Swedish death metal that almost sounds like Finnish death metal sometimes. I can’t exactly remember any of the songs but what I can remember is that this is some of the best death metal you’ll ever hear in your lifetime.

10. Wormrot – Abuse

First heard this last year, I think. Not the best or most original grind album, but for what it is, it’s simply awesome. If you like grindcore and you haven’t heard Wormrot then get on this immediately.

OraclesofAgony
07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
2. Goatwhore Ė Carving Out the Eyes of God
I LOVE Goatwhore. This album is just so damn good. The individual songs are fantastic, and extremely catchy to boot. The particular style is hard to pin down but Iíd say itís blackened death metal meets black ní roll. My love for this has grown exponentially since 2009.

Yeah, I didn't even hear this until early 2010 and it became one of my favorite albums. I ended up seeing them twice last year and they were awesome live as well.

I did a top 5 on my Last.fm so I'll adjust that to a Top 10.

Original Top 5:

1. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
2. Behemoth - Evangelion
3. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
4. Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity
5. Suffocation - Blood Oath

Adjusted Top 10:

1. Behemoth - Evangelion
I grew to love this album more and more with each listen, this definitely is my album of the year in hindsight.

2. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
This is Nile's best work by far I think. I've listened to this and Evangelion a crazy amount since 2009. I actually haven't listened to this one in a while though. I'll have to do that soon to remind myself why I love it so much.

3. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
I still like this album a lot, but the only songs I frequently come back to are The Czar and The Last Baron. The Czar is an amazing song though. I've listened to that song a crazy amount this year.

4. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
I almost forgot this album came out in 2009. I hadn't even heard about this band until summer of 2010, and by the end of 2010 they became one of my favorite bands. Their Mafia EP was my favorite release of 2010 by far. I saw them on tour with Suffocation and I can't wait to see them live again at Summer Slaughter. I'm also dying to hear their new album. It will be Top 5 this year for sure.

5. Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God
Like I said, I didn't listen to this one until 2010 when I was preparing for seeing them with Suffocation and DevilDriver and it blew me away. I got hooked on the title track, it's probably one of my most favorite songs of all-time.

6. Katatonia - Night is the New Day
I came very late to the party on this one. A couple months ago when I was seeking out more progressive bands to listen to I came across this band and this album. I had known about them before but never bothered to listen to them until now. I was missing out big time. This is a really awesome album and full of emotion. The final track Departer has some of the best clean vocals I've ever heard (I believe it's a guest vocalist for the part I have in mind though).

7. Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity
So this ended up getting bumped down. I think this is Dying Fetus' best work since Destroy the Opposition, it's a big step up from War of Attrition which I didn't like much (Aside from Homicidal Retribution and Insidious Repression). But I definitely would have had Fleshgod Apocalypse, Goatwhore and Katatonia ahead of this if I had listened to those at the time.

8. Dethklok - Dethalbum II
I'm not sure why I didn't give this any sort of recognition in my original list. This is the only album I'm adding to the list that I actually listened to in 2009. I really like this album. I got to see them live that year too with Mastodon and it was a great performance. And I will be seeing them again at Mayhem Fest.

9. Revocation - Existence is Futile
Another album that I didn't listen to until after the fact. A great tech death/thrash album packed with tons of awesome riffs. I'm mad I missed out on them for the Forbidden tour.

10. Gama Bomb - Tales from the Grave in Space
I saw this band live at the end of 2010 and they were great. It wasn't until a few weeks after that show that this album really grew on me. It's great, fun thrash. I really love the vocals on this album.

So yeah, Suffocation - Blood Oath fell out of the Top 10. I think it's a good record, I just don't really find myself coming back to it that often. Also an honorable mention for Shadows Fall - Retribution. I was about to make that #10 until I realized that Tales from the Grave in Space came out in '09.

Great idea BTW. I really enjoyed digging through my library trying to adjust this list. Looking back, 2009 was even stronger than I thought at the time.

jhdeity
07-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Interesting idea. I'm with you on Vektor and Mastodon. Vektor would be a lock for my Top 3, probably #1 and Mastodon would have trouble sniffing my Top 10. I just never listen to it.

larvtard
07-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Nice list :rocker:
and yeah, at first I wanted to do this for myself, but then I thought that this would be a cool thing for everybody else to do as well.

mastodon421
07-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Every Time I Die Is great, not quite top 10 material for me, but they are still a great band and New Junk Asethic is a great record. Anyways here is my old and new lists.

Old
1.Between The Buried and Me-The Great Misdirect
2.Mastodon-Crack The Skye
3.The Black Dahlia Murder-Deflorate
4.Lamb Of God-Wrath
5.Megadeth-Endgame
6.Doom-Born Like This
7.God Forbid-Earthsblood
8.Goatwhore-Carving Out The Eyes Of God
9.Skeletonwitch-Breathing The Fire
10.Alice In Chains-Black Gives Way To Blue

New
1.Between The Buried and Me-The Great Misdirect
2.Mastodon-Crack The Skye
3.The Black Dahlia Murder-Deflorate
4.Lamb Of God-Wrath
5.Revocation-Existence Is Futile
6.Behemoth-Evangellion
7.Megadeth-Endgame
8.Doom-Born Like This
9.God Forbid-Earthsblood
10.Skeletonwitch-Breathing The Fire

illuminatus917
07-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Haven't seen Cobalt, Baroness, Blut Aus Nord, Ahab, Asphyx, etc.

larvtard
07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I guess people really don't like this idea... :confused:

OraclesofAgony
07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I guess people really don't like this idea... :confused:

Maybe just too lazy. It actually took me a long time to make my list. I had to find out what I had listened to after the fact that came out in 2009. It's definitely worth doing though.

I'll have to check out the albums in your list that I haven't heard too. Necrophobic and Tribulation sound great. Also I've never listened to Vektor, so I should definitely listen to them finally.

hb420
07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
1. Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
2. Cobalt - Gin
3. Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
4. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
5. YOB - The Great Cessation
6. Converge - Axe To Fall
7. Baroness - Blue Record
8. Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
9. Skeletonwitch - Breathing The Fire
10. Megadeth - Endgame

OraclesofAgony
07-03-2011, 08:16 PM
1. Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
2. Cobalt - Gin
3. Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
4. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
5. YOB - The Great Cessation
6. Converge - Axe To Fall
7. Baroness - Blue Record
8. Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
10. Megadeth - Endgame

I only listen to this album once and I can't remember anything. I need to listen to this more.

ShatteredFlame
07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I just think it's stupid ranking things by year....unless we are living in them now :tongue:

I remember this was a good year:

Asphyx, Converge, maudlin of the Well, ISIS, Anaal Nathrakh, Katatonia, Puscifer, A Place to Bury Strangers, P.O.S, Wolves In The Throne Room (EP), Devin Townsend Project (Addicted), Magma, Amesoeurs, Bat For Lashes, Angelspit, Raekwon, Shpongle, Thy Catafalque, Tyr, Vader, Burial/Four Tet

I was into all of those at the time. These I discovered later:

Arms and Sleepers, Church of Misery, Black Pyramid, Hummingbird of Death, Magrudergrind, The Devil's Blood, Tyler, The Creator, Wolfbrigade

larvtard
07-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Maybe just too lazy. It actually took me a long time to make my list. I had to find out what I had listened to after the fact that came out in 2009. It's definitely worth doing though.

I'll have to check out the albums in your list that I haven't heard too. Necrophobic and Tribulation sound great. Also I've never listened to Vektor, so I should definitely listen to them finally.

Yeah that's what I figured :(

And holy shit listen to Vektor NOW!!!

hb420
07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I only listen to this album once and I can't remember anything. I need to listen to this more.

It's a great cd, easily surpassing anything they put out since their self titled.

OraclesofAgony
07-03-2011, 08:52 PM
It's a great cd, easily surpassing anything they put out since their self titled.

Yeah I'm listening to it right now, it's pretty great. I'm not sure why I only listened to it once. (EDIT: Wow, the closing track "Sky Is Falling Down" is fucking awesome)

I just started really listening to this band only recently though. I had only heard "Warpath" before and I love that song, but I never heard the rest of their stuff except when I listened to A Taste of Extreme Divinity.

I ordered their self-titled, The Final Chapter, and The Arrival so I'm going to start listening to them a lot more. I shouldn't have neglected them for so long.

OraclesofAgony
07-03-2011, 08:53 PM
And holy shit listen to Vektor NOW!!!

That's what I'm going to do after I finish listening to this Hypocrisy album.

OraclesofAgony
07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow you're right, Black Future is fucking great. I think those high screams pierced my soul.

jhdeity
07-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Wow you're right, Black Future is fucking great. I think those high screams pierced my soul.

Vektor vs. Cobalt would be an interesting debate...

I threw Cobalt in this weekend and was literally in awe. Both cd's would be Top 10 all-time of their respective genres to me. Maybe Top 5 or 3.

Rocco44
07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Old list:

1. Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans
2. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
3. Katatonia - Night Is the New Day
4. Porcupine Tree - The Incident
5. Swallow the Sun - New Moon
6. While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose
7. Gwynbleidd - Nostalgia
8. Destroyer 666 - Defiance
9. Drudkh - Microcosmos
10. Wodensthrone - Loss
11. Beílakor - Stone's Reach
12. Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us
13. Insomnium - Across The Dark
14. Russian Circles - Geneva
15. Amorphis - Skyforger
16. Pelican - What We All Come To Need
17. Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
18. Ghost Brigade - Isolation Songs
19. Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind
20. Solstafir - Kold
21. Ensiferum - From Afar
22. Scale The Summit - Carving Desert Canyons
23. Converge - Axe To Fall
24. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II
25. Krallice - Dimensional Bleedthrough

Albums previously unranked that would make the list now:
Cobalt - Gin
Shrinebuilder
YOB - The Great Cessation
Geist - Galeere

Albums that would probably move up:
Scale The Summit - Carving Desert Canyons
Ghost Brigade - Isolation Songs
Russian Circles - Geneva
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans

Thanks for the reminder to check out Vektor

larvtard
07-04-2011, 05:42 AM

:D

JRA
07-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I didn't have an old list, but I've heard more albums from that year now than I did then.

1. Immortal- All Shall Fall
2. Mastodon- Crack The Skye
3. Baroness- Blue Record
4. Cobalt- Gin

treghet
07-04-2011, 03:54 PM
I ordered their self-titled, The Final Chapter, and The Arrival so I'm going to start listening to them a lot more. I shouldn't have neglected them for so long.

:rocker:

And yeah, A Taste of Extreme Divinity is easily my favorite later Hypocrisy album.

larvtard
07-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Here, let me make it easy for you guys :tp:

manks 2009 list:

1. Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
2. Absu - Absu
3. Drudkh - Microcosmos
4. Dying Fetus - Descent Into Depravity
5. Revocation - Existence Is Futile
6. Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt
7. Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
8. Slayer - World Painted Blood
10. Mastodon - Crack The Skye

powerslave's 2009 list:

1.Propagandhi- Supporting Caste
2.Bob Mould- Life and Times
3.Banner Pilot- Collapser
4.Gallows- Grey Britain
5.Mastodon- Crack the Skye
6.Baroness- Blue Record
7.Brand New- Daisy
8.Converge- Axe To Fall
9.Polar Bear Club- Chasing Hamburg
10.Tegan and Sara- Sainthood

wine's 2009 list:

2. Cormorant - Metazoa
3. The Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate
4. Megadeth - Endgame
5. Muse - The Resistance
6. Insomnium - Across the Dark
7. Behemoth - Evangelion
8. Immortal - All Shall Fall
9. Kylesa - Static Tensions
10. Giant Squid - The Ichthyologist

Somewhereintime's 2009 list:

1. Amorphis - Skyforger
2. Behemoth - Evangelion
3. My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
4. Stratovarius - Polaris
5. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
6. Ensiferum - From Afar
7. KMFDM - Blitz
8. Megadeth - Endgame
9. The Stanley Clarke Trio - Jazz In The Garden
10. Isis - Wavering Radiant

maiden33's 2009 list:

01.Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day
02.Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
03.lord - Set in Stone
04.Jaded Heart - Perfect Insanity
05.Machines of Grace - Machines of Grace
06.Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death
07.Killing Touch - One of a Kind
08.DGM - Frame
09.Anubis Gate - The Detached
10.Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver linings

Irritatedtrout's 2009 list:

1. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
2. Megadeth - Endgame
3. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
4. Carrie Underwood - Play On
6. Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
7. Slayer - World Painted Blood
8. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
9. Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death
10. Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow

ravenheart's 2009 list:

1. Tim Ripper Owens – Play My Game
2. The Black Crowes – Before The Frost…
3. Suicidal Angels – Sanctify The Darkness
4. Jupiter Society – Terraform
5. Gunfire 76 – Casualties & Tragedies
6. Nomad Son – First Light
7. Forsaken – After The Fall
8. Katatonia – Night Is The New Day
9. Paradise Lost – Faith Divides Us Death Unites Us
10. Candlemass – Death Magic Doom

Dextrimental's 2009 list:

1. Crack the Skye - Mastodon
2. World Painted Blood - Slayer
3. Endgame - Megadeth
4. Wrath - Lamb of God
5. Black Gives Way to Blue - Alice in Chains
6. Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Dream Theater
7. Gin - Cobalt
8. The Great Misdirect - Between the Buried and Me
9. Meet the Meatbats - Chad Smiths Bombastic Meatbats
10. Napalm Death - Time Waits for no Slave

childrenofsodom's 2009 list:

1) Propagandhi – Supporting Caste
2) Mastodon – Crack the Skye
3) Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day
4) The 69 Eyes – Back in Blood
5) Dead Prez – Pulse of the People
6) Cobalt – Gin
7) Rebellion – Arise- History of the Vikings Part III
8) Amesoeurs – S/T
9) Darkest Hour – The Eternal Return
10) Slough Feg – Ape Uprising

MPF's 2009 list:

1. Dredg- The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion
2. Mastodon- Crack The Skye
3. Long Distance Calling- Avoid The Light
4. Between The Buried And Me- The Great Misdirect
5. Devin Townsend- Addicted
6. Devin Townsend- Ki
7. Redemption- Snowfall On Judgment Day
8. Dream Theater- Black Clouds And Silver Linings
9. Mono- Hymn To The Immortal Wind
10. Porcupine Tree- The Incident

wizzbang's 2009 list:

10. Antimelodix- Hellfuck
9. Vektor- Black Future
8. Abscess/Population Reduction Split
7. Teitanblood- Seven Chalices
6. Children of Technology/Bastardator Split
5. Bone Gnawer- Feast of Flesh
4. Mumakil- Behold the Failure
3. General Surgery- Corpus in Extremis
2. Jungle Rot- What Horrors Await
1. Cattle Decapitation- Harvest Floor

tonyd's list:

2. Baroness - Blue Record
3. Kylesa - Static Tensions
4. Devin Townsend - Ki
5. Devin Townsend - Addicted
6. Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
7. Them Crooked Vultures - s/t
8. Megadeth - Endgame
9. Big Business - Mind The Drift
10. Clutch - Strange Cousins From The West

smearcampaign's 2009 list:

1. Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect
2. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
3. Converge - Axe To Fall
4. Chimaira - The Infection
5. Isis - Wavering Radiant
6. Baroness - Blue Record
7. Behemoth - Evangelion
8. Kylesa - Static Tensions
9. Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
10. Revocation - Existence Is Futile

daimonos' list:

1. Behemoth - Evangelion
2. Immortal - All Shall Fall
3. Lamb of God - Wrath
4. Belphegor - Walpurgis Rites - Hexenwahn
5. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
6. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
7. Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt
8. Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
9. Vreid - Milorg
10. Marduk - Wormwood

dethmaiden's:

1. Cobalt - Gin
2. Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
3. Slough Feg - Ape Uprising!
4. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day
5. My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
6. Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
7. Propagandhi - Supporting Caste
8. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
9. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
10. Baroness - Blue Record

Lazy pieces of shit.

OraclesofAgony
07-04-2011, 08:25 PM
:lol:

jhdeity
07-04-2011, 09:19 PM

This

DethMaiden
07-04-2011, 09:30 PM
dethmaiden's:

1. Cobalt - Gin
2. Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
3. Slough Feg - Ape Uprising!
4. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day
5. My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
6. Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
7. Propagandhi - Supporting Caste
8. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
9. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
10. Baroness - Blue Record

I stand basically behind this. BTBAM would drop and Mastodon might drop off, but this is a good batch of records.

BloodoftheKings
07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
My embarrassing 2009 list:
2. Megadeth - Endgame
3. Gwar - Lust in Space
4. Dethklok - The Dethalbum 2
5. Slayer - World Painted Blood
6. Rammstien - Liebe Ist Furre Alle Da
7. Behemoth - Evangelion
8. Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plauge
9. Lamb of God - Wrath
10. Devildriver - Pray For Villains

Looking back:
1. Devin Townsend - Addicted
2. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
3. Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
4. Gwar - Lust in Space
5. Dethklok - Dethalbum 2
6. Megadeth - Endgame
7. Behemoth - Evangelion
8. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
9. Slayer - World Painted Blood
10. 3 Inches of Blood - Here Waits Thy Doom (deal with it)

powerslave_85
07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I stand by mine. Maybe switch Bob Mould and Banner Pilot, but that's it.

jd091
07-05-2011, 08:35 AM
EDIT: Shit, I forgot about Baroness! Its in the top 10 for sure, but I'm too lazy to decide where. Probably right in front of Mastodon. Great fucking record, though.

Since I wasn't here back then, I'll throw in my :2cents: looking back now. Knowing my tastes, I'm sure you guys will find it interesting:

1.) Behemoth - Evangelion
From the outstanding cover to the amazingly fast, brutal, and atmospheric tracks, this turned out to be my favorite Behemoth album to date. Without a doubt my favorite release of the year.

2.) Converge - Axe to Fall
Probably Converge's best since Jane Doe. Incredible record. Near-flawless, in my opinion. It took me a while to catch onto it, but it eventually grabbed and held my attention for a long while.

3.) Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
This is probably the catchiest, most "riffy" and relatable album Nile have put out, but its also one of their best. All the songs are epic and catchy. I found myself singing the guitar parts in my head all day.

4.) Chimaira - The Infection
This album really, really caught be by surprise, and turned me into a huge Chimaira fan. I had dismissed them in the past, and even when I heard "The Venom Inside" on the radio, I though it was very meh. After deciding to download it, though, I found one of the groovies, catchiest, well-constructed metal albums I had heard. It was all I played on my iPod for about a month, and I enjoyed every second of it. Despite me loving the slower, groovy nature of it, I'm excited to see Chimaira return with a faster record this year. They're a severely underrated band.

5.) Mastodon - Crack the Skye
I still really appreciate this record, but it fell out of my listening cycle very fast. It was good, and beautiful, but not the Mastodon I fell in love with. Blood Mountain is in my top 5 records of all time, and this was a total departure from that style. Still amazing, though. After witnessing The Czar live, and having it be the first song I ever crowdsurfed to, this album got a lot better in my mind. Still stoked to see The Hunter return back to their old style this year!

6.)Winds of Plague - The Great Stone War
Great, great album! I didn't like it quite as much as Decimate the Weak, but it was still incredible. I don't necessarily like their image, and I think their newest album might rank in my bottom 5 of 2011, but The Great Stone War was one of the catchiest records to me for 2009. Their ability to meld symphonic deathcore into a listenable form (for me at least) was great. I'll still throw this on every once in a while to work out; its catchy as hell.

6.) Krallice - Dimensional Bleedthrough
Krallice, surprisingly enough, were the first black metal band I ever really got into, from an article in Guitar World nonetheless! :lol: This album grew upon their self titled debut, and was just beautiful. I have to be in the right mood to listen to Krallice, though. Its either the greatest thing I've ever heard, or boring depending on how I feel.

7.) Devil Wears Prada - With Roots Above and Branches Below
Definintely the best metalcore release of '09. Other than the Zombie EP (which is near fuckin' flawless), With Roots is DWP's best work by far. Its incredibly catchy, melodic, and full of good breakdowns. I didn't actually get into it until earlier this year, since I always dismissed DWP as "geh" and "scene" and retarded, but its actually good.

8.) Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate
I blast Black Valor whenever I drive by churches. That's all you need to know. Seriously though, its not as good as Miasma or Nocturnal, but Deflorate was a solid release. I had trouble listening to it all at once, but when it was good, it was fucking amazing.

9.) Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow
Another band I didn't get into until this year. Incredible, and I don't know the exact words to describe it. I haven't listened to this one enough to warrant it higher on my list, but I definitely enjoy the Codex Necro and Hell is Empty more. Passion is my favorite by them though, and will definitely be in my top 5 this year! :party:

Honorable Mentions:

God Forbid - Earthsblood
Job For A Cowboy - Ruination
Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Pelican - What We All Come to Need
Ensiferum - From Afar
Immortal - All Shall Fall
Rammstein- Liebe ist fur Allen Da
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire

idrinkwine732
07-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Let me get home and I'll do this, I've thought about it a bit.

Hint: Metazoa is #1

daimonos
07-05-2011, 10:10 AM
daimonos' list:

1. Behemoth - Evangelion
3. Lamb of God - Wrath
4. Belphegor - Walpurgis Rites - Hexenwahn
5. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
6. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
7. Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt
8. Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
9. Vreid - Milorg
10. Marduk - Wormwood

I wasn't going to do this until you posted my list :lol:

I didn't put much thought into it, but this is close to what my list would be now. It's actually alot different, I think.

1. Behemoth - Evangelion
3. Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
4. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
5. Devin Townsend Project - Ki
6. Absu - Absu
7. Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God
8. Clutch - Strange Cousins From the West
9. Destroyer 666 - Defiance
10. Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt

I just got into D666 this year, so that wasn't on the list before. In 09 SCFTW was the only Clutch album I had heard, and it was at the bottom of my list, since then they've become one of my favorite bands. Ki and Addicted were both in the 10's, I believe. And I guess I just didn't realize how fucking awesome Absu was at the time.

larvtard
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I wasn't going to do this until you posted my list :lol:

I didn't put much thought into it, but this is close to what my list would be now. It's actually alot different, I think.

I know, that's why I posted peoples' lists ;) And yeah, the fact that our lists are so different is kinda why I wanted to do it. I want to see how peoples' tastes have changed, what new stuff they've discovered.

illuminatus917
07-05-2011, 01:35 PM
No Angelus Exuro pro Eternus by Dark Funeral?

The_jman
07-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd have to give it some thought.

I'm kinda lazy so am not sure its worth looking up my list.

I know amorphis was 1 and epica was 2, that would probably not change. both being some of my favorite records.

IrritatedTrout
07-31-2011, 01:55 PM
My old list:

2. Megadeth - Endgame

My new list:

2. Megadeth - Endgame
4. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
6. Carrie Underwood - Play On
7. Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
8. Kiss - Sonic Boom
9. Rammstein - Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da
10. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos

mankvill
07-31-2011, 02:22 PM
My old list:

2. Megadeth - Endgame

My new list:

2. Megadeth - Endgame
4. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
6. Carrie Underwood - Play On
7. Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
8. Kiss - Sonic Boom
9. Rammstein - Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da
10. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos

Anaal Nathrakh drops off, yet Carrie Underwood is still there..

I am going to kill you.

es156
07-31-2011, 03:03 PM

I am going to kill you.

jd091
07-31-2011, 03:30 PM

I am going to kill you.

Seriously, Carrie Underwood isn't even good country. Why?

IrritatedTrout
07-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Seriously, Carrie Underwood isn't even good country. Why?

She's just about the only country artist that I love honestly.

smearCampaign
08-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Original list:
1. Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect
2. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
3. Converge - Axe To Fall
4. Chimaira - The Infection
5. Isis - Wavering Radiant
7. Behemoth - Evangelion
8. Kylesa - Static Tensions
9. Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
10. Revocation - Existence Is Futile

New List:
2. Converge - Axe To Fall
3. Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire
4. Kylesa - Static Tensions
5. Absu - Absu
7. Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect
8. Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
9. Behemoth - Evangelion
10. Isis - Wavering Radiant

A couple additions to my list and some rearranging. Skeletonwitch and Absu nearly made my top 10 at the time and since then I've listened to both of those albums more than a lot of things on my list. The perspective of time and seeing alot of this material live has also made and impression.