PDA

View Full Version : HB420's Top Ten Stoner/Doom/Sludge Albums

hb420
07-02-2011, 03:24 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2nHlMeGUjcM/R9wbPQ1OdrI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/O7zQ3Mx4u4c/s200/YOB_Catharsis.jpg

10. YOB - Catharsis (2003)
This is YOB's finest effort. Where the band perfectly blended the standard psychedelic stoner/doom set by Sleep and Electric Wizard with their own unique heavy sludge style they would adapt later. The array of pulverizing riffs Mike S. unleashes on us is seemingly endless and so dense you feel like your entire skull will cave in at any moment. From the crushing opener "Aeons", to the astral and spacey atmosphere of the jam-ridden closer "Catharsis" the album is absolutely flawless.

Key Track
Aeons

brutal_descent
07-02-2011, 03:37 PM
If I don't see Dopethrone, NOLA, Blues for the Red Sun, and/or Master of Reality here, I shall be quite dissapointed. :bouville:

HandOfDoom
07-02-2011, 05:33 PM
My ffavourite genre, awesome start, looking foward to the rest :horns:

daimonos
07-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Thank you for this thread. I know enjoy it. Downloading that YOB right now ;)

hb420
07-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Thank you for this thread. I know enjoy it. Downloading that YOB right now ;)

No problem, and I know you'll love that album amazing stuff dude.
Working on #9 as we speak lol.

hb420
07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d26/19627_sourvein_will_to_mangle.jpg

9. Sourvein - Will To Mangle (2002)
"Will To Mangle" finds North Carolina sludge behemoths Sourvein creating a total monster. Featuring Liz Buckingham from Electric Wizard (the hottest female metal guitarist :drool:) Nothing but pure filthy sludge oozes from the albums eight tracks. They went from a more southern rock influence on their debut "Salvation" to a doomed out High on Fire meets Eyehategod type sound.

Key Tracks
Bangleaf
Blizzard
1% D.F.F.D.

daimonos
07-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Thank you so much for turning me on to YOB here. Awesome, awesome stuff.

llama lom
07-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I definitely need to listen to more stoner/sludge so this will definitely help.

daimonos
09-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Still waiting on the other 8, buddy :D

christopher
09-11-2011, 05:13 PM
I was thinking of doing a doom/sludge thread, but I never got around to it. Nice job on Sourvein. I've seen them twice and they always put on an awesome show.

daimonos
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I was thinking of doing a doom/sludge thread, but I never got around to it. Nice job on Sourvein. I've seen them twice and they always put on an awesome show.

I want to make one at some point, too. But I'm still learning and discovering new bands from these genres every day, so I feel like I need to wait.

christopher
09-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I want to make one at some point, too. But I'm still learning and discovering new bands from these genres every day, so I feel like I need to wait.

I don't really like too much Doom or Sludge cause a lot of bands have the same boring riff over and over. I don't discover new bands in this genre often cause of that.

christopher
09-15-2011, 12:11 PM
:zzz:....I'm going to hijack this thread in a few days if nothing else gets posted

Sepultura69
09-18-2011, 10:11 PM
I better see some "Take as needed for pain" up in this biznitch. :hmm:

hb420
09-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Sorry for the delay haha. I'll make up for it though by doing a couple now.

http://www.lifeisabuse.com/covers/asunder-II.jpg
8. Asunder - A Clarion Call
The greatest funeral doom album I've ever heard. While most funeral doom just settles for despairing atmosphere and never really tries to be menacing and heavy. This album is one of the few in the genre that actually does that. Heavy as shit throughout, while also making you feel its sorrow.

Key Track:
Crown of Eyes

christopher
09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
:lovedup: Asunder is one of my favorite doom bands. I was lucky enough to see them when they opened for Corrupted in 2008. This album is one of my favorites as well! Good job:D

hb420
09-18-2011, 10:57 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s6_jU9LrAWo/Tms5L_rb-WI/AAAAAAAAJzA/2bENGTNV-sQ/s1600/ELDER-Dead-Roots-Stirring.jpg

7. Elder - Dead Roots Stirring (2011)

I know what you're thinking. This just barely came out, how in the fuck does it deserve to be here? Well that's because you haven't heard it. The sophomore effort by Elder is easily a modern classic, five amazing cuts. That make up what I believe is the best stoner metal album in the past decade at least. As soon as you press play you're hit by an onslaught of HUGE riffs that ride an unbelievable rhythm section. The bass is perfect really low dirty but sticks out just enough. While the drums not being technical or anything are really dynamic and powerful. They bring something that I think is sorely lacking in stoner rock/metal now a days, and that's groove. This is the type of stuff Black Sabbath, Sleep and Kyuss were made of. I shudder to think what their follow up to this mammoth will sound like.

Key Tracks:
Gemini
III

illuminatus917
09-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Awesome thread.

jhdeity
09-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Awesome thread.

Yeah I consider myself really in touch with most genres of music that I care about and this thread has definitely exposed me to some cool stuff I've never heard before.

daimonos
09-19-2011, 09:18 AM
:party:

hb420
09-28-2011, 11:13 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Pqp8fsE9224/S7NEFKCkgJI/AAAAAAAAAZo/-sgz1mQMfxE/s1600/kylesa2.jpg

6. Kylesa - Time Will Fuse It's Worth (2006)
Savannah's Kylesa prior to their third albums release were purely a sludge metal band. With the release of "Time Will Fuse It's Worth" however they speeded up and added dual drummers, elements of crust, noise rock, and post metal to their already immense sound. Making their most accomplished recording to date.

Key Tracks:
What Becomes An End
Between Silence And Sound
Ignoring Anger

http://www.metallibrary.ru/bands/discographies/images/down/pictures/95_nola.jpg

5. Down - NOLA (1995)

The greatest southern metal release ever, literally enough said. A supergroup containing the vocalist of Pantera, the front men of Crowbar and the later form of Corrosion of Conformity on guitar, and Eyehategod's guitarist on drums. Just a legendary release all of the songs are great.

Key Tracks
Temptation's Wings
Lifer
Hail The Leaf
Stone The Crow
Bury Me In Smoke

hb420
09-28-2011, 11:56 PM
http://www.willowtip.com/images/2345/400x400.aspx
4. Grief - Come To Grief (1994)

This is in my opinion is Sludge's greatest offering. Slow as hell with an intense atmosphere, great riffs and larynx shredding vocals. The whole album is insanely entertaining for something that is this much of a downer.

Key Tracks
Hate Grows Stronger
Ruined
Come To Grief

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vEzaZPxwJMw/SQE-BpHgZQI/AAAAAAAABGc/JhfX-Q2h-Yw/s400/sleep_dopesmoker.jpg

3. Sleep - Dopesmoker (2003)

Sleep gave the third greatest gift to mankind in my honest opinion. Having the privilege to drop out of life bong in hand and journey to the riff filled land is really something else. The thing is filled with Matt Pike's god status riffs that along with Al Cisneros's thundering bass bring to life the greatest one song album in existence.

Key Track
The whole fucking thing.

Rocco44
09-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Nice, some great choices so far. Not the biggest fan of that Kylesa album but its good nonetheless. Haven't heard of Grief and I still need to listen to Down and Sleep a lot more than I have.

christopher
09-29-2011, 12:41 AM
I love Sleep so much, but don't you dare call it the greatest one song album of all time. Corrupted - El Mundo Frio won that award :D

larvtard
09-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Fuck yeah man, Grief is awesome. Elder's cool too, but I haven't heard the new one yet. Sounds like I need to.

And that Kylesa album's tits :party:

daimonos
09-29-2011, 01:45 PM
I think I'm going to make one of these lists soon. I'll have to see if I have enough material to make a decent list, though. I feel like I've been on a doom kick for about a year and a half now so I'm probably qualified for the job ;)

hb420
09-30-2011, 04:09 PM
http://new.assets.thequietus.com/images/articles/839/13Ufomammut_1228503737_resize_460x400.gif

2. Ufomammut - Idolum (2008)

This is the only album besides my number one, that has blown me away with its shear heaviness. Mixed with an amazing psychedelic atmosphere, it literally doesn't get much better than this in my opinion. The entire album is flawless, while Ufromammut later refined their sound on Eve. Adding more psychedelic and post influences, they never matched the sonic weight of this cd.

Key Tracks
Stigma
Hellctric
Destroyer
Void.... Elephantom

Anyone think they know #1? ;)

daimonos
09-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Anyone think they know #1? ;)

I don't think I know it, I know I know it.

:D

daimonos
09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
That Grief album sounds pretty awesome. Ordering now...

hb420
10-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't think I know it, I know I know it.

:D

:rocker: Was It This?

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/e/electric-wizard/album-dopethrone.jpg

1. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (2000)
What can be said about this masterpiece has probably already been said. It is the most heaviest thing in existence. My favorite album of all time, I love every single track. A day doesn't go by that I don't blast this on maximum volume.

Key Tracks
Listen to the whole fucking thing if you haven't heard this album yet. Your mind well never be the same again.

Now I'm going to do some Honorable Mentions....

Indestructible
10-07-2011, 06:56 PM
I find your lack of Ozzy Sabbath disturbing:D

The only albums in this thread I have are Dopethrone and Nola, so I will be checking out the other eight albums. I recently found a love for Doom,Stoner and Sludge so Im always looking for new music from those genres.

smearCampaign
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Great list. I need to hear that Elder album and also need to check out Ufomammut. I've heard great things about them for years, but just never took the time.

daimonos
10-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I was right:D

daimonos
10-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Nice list man! I'm definitely going to check out the stuff that I don't already know about. I'm gonna start a Top 20 or 25 in the next week or so, so keep an eye out for that.

slapguitarer
10-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Awesome list. But your missing Sleep's Holy Mountain. I don't know what that's all about...:confused:

;)

larvtard
10-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Dude I'm listening to Dopethrone right now for the first time and this is probably the greatest fucking thing I've ever heard.

...well, I'm high ;)

slapguitarer
10-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Dude I'm listening to Dopethrone right now for the first time and this is probably the greatest fucking thing I've ever heard.

...well, I'm high ;)

Somebody is late to the party.

masterguy49
10-07-2011, 10:32 PM

...well, I'm high ;)

You finally get it :lovedup:

Also awesome list, will definitely check some of these out.

Indestructible
10-08-2011, 06:18 AM

...well, I'm high ;)

How is that high? Must be great.

larvtard
10-08-2011, 07:13 AM
How is that high? Must be great.

....wat?

Anyways I came back when I had sobered up and the song wasn't as good ;)

daimonos
10-08-2011, 10:28 AM
It doesn't make a difference if you're high or not, it's still one of the greatest doom albums of all time.

hb420
10-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Honorable Mentions

http://i47.tinypic.com/md2k5i.jpg

Clagg - Lord of the Deep (2009)

This is a really great album that should get more recognition, then it's had. Clagg's third release and by far their best, combines progressive metal structures, the groove of stoner metal, and the slow and brutal atmosphere of old school sludge. Each song is really lengthy, but never boring with a great sense of dynamics within the songwriting.

Key Tracks
Carrion
Burried