12. For Whom the Bell Tolls
13. Blackened
14. Fade to Black
15. Enter Sandman
Encore
16. Helpless (w/ Megadeth & Anthrax)
17. Battery
18. Creeping Death

Nice to see that they finally changed up the format.

Also, "Fade" in place of NEM and only 1 DM song. It seems all your prayers have been answered haha. All they need to do is take out "Sad But True" and no one would have anything to complain about anymore. :lol:

mankvill
07-02-2011, 01:38 PM
THANK YOU JESUS THEY DIDN'T END WITH SEEK & DESTROY

makethemsuffer12
07-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I didn't even really think about it just looking over it really quick, but holy fuck that's a badass set.

CapnAwesome
07-02-2011, 01:46 PM
That is the best modern Metallica set I have ever seen, its as if the band members read the fans comments and constructed a set that met their standards.

oh and...

CALLL OF FUCKING CTULU YUSSSSS

rjturtle9
07-02-2011, 01:54 PM
:drool:

JRA
07-02-2011, 02:14 PM
goddamn.

Now that is a fucking setlist

Creeping Death as the grand finale. woo!

TonyD
07-02-2011, 02:22 PM
"We don't come to Europe as often as the states so we'll play what people actually wanna hear."

girnny777
07-02-2011, 02:27 PM
"We don't come to Europe as often as the states so we'll play what people actually wanna hear."

They do the European festival circuit every year.

velvetgrass
07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Great to see that Wherever I May Roam, The Call Of Ktulu, and Battery are in the set! Creeping Death would also be a killer closer, but I personally think that Seek And Destroy shouldn't be in the set if it's not the closer. My biggest complaint is that this set is missing Fuel. But, overall this set is a big improvement over the last one.

brutal_descent
07-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Goddamn me for not going to Sonisphere UK w/ my chaps this year. :mad:

AnthG
07-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I wonder if they'll keep this set format for the Yankee Stadium show

bigguytoo9
07-02-2011, 02:46 PM
CALLL OF FUCKING CTULU!!!
Ive seen Tallica' 3 times and ive not seen more then half of those songs live. Would love to see this set for sure. Hell, even Memory Remains would be pretty freaking sweet to see em play.

larvtard
07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
HOLY SHITFUCK Blackened AND Battery...my two favorite Metallica songs :bliss:

But besides that, this is just in general a really good set.

also, Sad But True is by far my favorite song from the self-titled :confused:

mankvill
07-02-2011, 03:01 PM
also, Sad But True is by far my favorite song from the self-titled :confused:

get out!

IrritatedTrout
07-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Amazing set!

Sanitarium78
07-02-2011, 05:32 PM
but I personally think that Seek And Destroy shouldn't be in the set if it's not the closer.

You are aware that S&D didn't become the regular set closer until like 2003/2004, right? They've played far more shows where it wasn't the closer than they have with it. It's always been a regular and it works no matter where it's put in the set.

This is an awesome set and thank the metal gods they finally dropped NEM for once:party:

According to setlist.fm here's the sets from Megadeth and Slayer at this show. I still haven't seen Anthrax's yet.

MEGADETH

Trust
In My Darkest Hour
Hangar 18
Wake Up Dead
Head Crusher
Rattlehead
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

SLAYER

World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Americon
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Angel of Death

mankvill
07-02-2011, 05:53 PM
MEGADETH

Trust
In My Darkest Hour
Hangar 18
Wake Up Dead
Head Crusher
Rattlehead
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

SLAYER

World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Americon
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Angel of Death

:eyes:

velvetgrass
07-02-2011, 06:21 PM
:eyes:

Well for Megadeth at least Rattlehead is in the set. But for Slayer, :eyes: is correct

velvetgrass
07-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Well for Megadeth at least Rattlehead is in the set. But for Slayer, :eyes: is correct

Looks like the Slayer setlist that was originally posted was incomplete because this is what setlist.fm lists now-

World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Stain Of Mind
Disciple
Dead Skin Mask
Snuff
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Angel of Death

^ More complete, but not really much more impressing to me. So still a :eyes:

The_jman
07-02-2011, 06:40 PM
pretty good set for metallica, interesting format...

this is the first time nem hasn't been in the set since september 2009 for the kickoff shows in England

hellawaits77ny
07-02-2011, 07:39 PM
A very good setlist, but I'm really suprised to see they're down to one DM song already.

And The Call of Ktulu!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sick!

MPF
07-02-2011, 07:58 PM
If you replace Sad But True with Fight Fire With Fire, no Metallica fan has the right to complain under penalty of Death.

hellawaits77ny
07-02-2011, 08:18 PM
If you replace Sad But True with Fight Fire With Fire, no Metallica has the right to complain under penalty of Death.

FFWF needs to be play every night

MPF
07-02-2011, 08:25 PM
FFWF needs to be play every night

Yes it does. The only Metallica song that I haven't seen live that I want to see.

300%_Density
07-02-2011, 08:54 PM
That set is very sexy. Not even seeing Americon in Slayer's set is even enough to ruin this set!!!!!

NickLed19
07-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Best Metallica set I have seen, well of the past 20 years anyway.

DisposableJustice
07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Hot damn what a set from Metallica

why the fuck couldn't I get this at Indio? Huh?

I want to trade, too late?

Although I'll keep the Slayer set I saw @ Indio, kinda weak here

*must find money to get to Europe*:eyes:

makethemsuffer12
07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I wonder if they'll keep this set format for the Yankee Stadium show

I fucking hope so!

They did their standard festival format at the Indio show, so I'd imagine they'd do the same with this updated one.

Also, I really hope Megadeth keeps "Rattlehead" in for their Mayhem set.

bobbie solo
07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
wow. this is fantastic. lucky germans!

if they continue with this all summer, im gonna have to grab a Yankee Stadium ticket. Imagine if they had the balls to dump Enter Sandman too? id pay even more if i knew i didnt have to sit through that nonsense as well.

real curious to hear a HQ version of Helpless. It would be so badass if they did a Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Anthrax medley, or just one of their own songs, or something like that instead of a cover. sucks that slayer didnt partake in last night's jam..i really hope their excuse was legit, bc it def. seems like theyre not into it. It's pretty clear Tom isnt at least.

OraclesofAgony
07-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Damn, I guess Americon is here to stay for Slayer. :hecho:

And that's an awesome Metallica set. It's good to see they skipped Cyanide.

Dominicus 1988
07-03-2011, 08:23 AM
THANK YOU JESUS THEY DIDN'T END WITH SEEK & DESTROY

YES^

Seek and Destroy is such a lame song. Creeping Death is a awesome alternative. :D

Maideneer
07-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Am I the only person in the world who is saddened on a nightly basis that 0 Load songs make it into the set? This setlist is half good anyway, if they are going to insist on playing black album songs, at least make them good songs, The Struggle Within for example.

jaysadler2
07-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Quality set, seen metallica numerous times and glad they've changed set up etc.

I think Hit the Lights is an awesome opener, going straight into MOP.

Cant wait til Friday - big 4 in the UK. Hope they keep Call of Kutlu, Shortest straw and throw in another ride the lightning track (Fight fire, Trapped under ice or ride the lightning would be nice!)

When metallica was announced as headliner their was alot of criticism from other festivals as they keep coming to the UK every year headlining festivals/doing tours, but they are always going to sell out as every performance is different - after seeing maiden 5 times on seperate tours, ive given up to be honest, unless they something drastically different!

velvetgrass
07-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Am I the only person in the world who is saddened on a nightly basis that 0 Load songs make it into the set? This setlist is half good anyway, if they are going to insist on playing black album songs, at least make them good songs, The Struggle Within for example.

No, you're not. Although my favorite Metallica album is Master Of Puppets, Load is a close second so it kinda sucks that they don't put anything Load songs in the set.

velvetgrass
07-03-2011, 08:50 AM
The full Anthrax setlist has been posted on setlist.fm. Here it is for those who are interested-

Caught in a Mosh
Madhouse
Got the Time
Among the Living
Antisocial
Indians
Fight 'Em Till You Can't Play
Metal Thrashing Mad
Medusa
Refuse/Resist
I Am The Law

^ I honestly don't know anything about Anthrax so I can't comment on the setlist. I have Among The Living and Sound Of White Noise but haven't had a chance to listen to them along with MANY other albums.

Sanitarium78
07-03-2011, 09:12 AM

Load is a peice of crap album. The band has come to realize this and the majority of the fans have known this for a very long time now. When most of your fanbase doesn't like the album, just like Shit Anger you avoid playing anything off it.

Plus, there's too much older material that needs to be represented so the few songs off Load that are actually worthy of playing don't have a shot to begin with.

My favorite thing on this site is when someone complains "why don't they do this song" and it turns out to be a songs the band has never played live ever. TSW is an ok tune but I wouldn't want to hear it live because it's not a sinifigant song to their catalog and it would just be taking up a spot where something better from the first four albums could go.

Maideneer
07-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Load is a peice of crap album. The band has come to realize this and the majority of the fans have known this for a very long time now. When most of your fanbase doesn't like the album, just like Shit Anger you avoid playing anything off it.

Plus, there's too much older material that needs to be represented so the few songs off Load that are actually worthy of playing don't have a shot to begin with.

My favorite thing on this site is when someone complains "why don't they do this song" and it turns out to be a songs the band has never played live ever. TSW is an ok tune but I wouldn't want to hear it live because it's not a sinifigant song to their catalog and it would just be taking up a spot where something better from the first four albums could go.

Play the first 4 albums on repeat at home then is what you are essentially lobbying for. You seem to like the Frosted Flakes every day of your life, I'll take the variety pack thanks. What incredibly boring thinking you have.

I'm not a St. Anger fan, but playing something off of it wouldn't hurt either. The way they turned All Within My Hands into that acoustic number a few years ago was absolute genius and deserves a spot in any set list they play, nightly.

I also didn't know you spoke for the "majority" of fans, Mr. Ambassador. I guess I'm not in the majority, perfectly fine by me then.

Your intra-album warfare does nothing to further the cause of the band, it only hinders it and forces a demented thought process that only the first four albums are sacred and anything post-1988 is the next set of albums up for debate in the live song selection process.

Time to step out of the box.

zerkz
07-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Play the first 4 albums on repeat at home then is what you are essentially lobbying for. You seem to like the Frosted Flakes every day of your life, I'll take the variety pack thanks. What incredibly boring thinking you have.

I'm not a St. Anger fan, but playing something off of it wouldn't hurt either. The way they turned All Within My Hands into that acoustic number a few years ago was absolute genius and deserves a spot in any set list they play, nightly.

I also didn't know you spoke for the "majority" of fans, Mr. Ambassador. I guess I'm not in the majority, perfectly fine by me then.

Your intra-album warfare does nothing to further the cause of the band, it only hinders it and forces a demented thought process that only the first four albums are sacred and anything post-1988 is the next set of albums up for debate in the live song selection process.

I think most of the reason they are playing a huge amount of old material is simply because they did not perform no where near as much (old material) in the last decade, and especially in the 90s.

Sanitarium78
07-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Where did I say that only the first four albums are sacred? I don't see that statement in my post anywhere. I was just knocking their two worst albums and giving praise to their four best ones. TBA, Reload and DM are all good albums. It's just most of Load and all of St. Anger are garbage. Every band has bad releases and those two happen to be Metallica's.

Metallica does do a good variety in their sets and that's one of the things I love about them live. But to think that something like TSW would somehow make the set after 20 years isn't oustside the box thinking, it's crazy thinking.

I'd love to see Escape, EOTB, TFEOS, THTJB or Fixxxer in the set but honestly I know it's not gonna happen and you move on. It's not worth complaining over because it's not gonna change the bands thinking.

No, i'm not an official ambassador. But i've been a fan of the band for over 20 years. When you've been a fan for that long you get a good idea of what the majority of the fanbase is like and what they want to hear live.

Metallica can't play every song they've recorded live but i'd like to think by now that they've established that they do enough variety live that people would stop complaining about "why don't they do this or that instead". I guess people are gonna say that no matter what, even though they change the set on a nightly basis.

larvtard
07-03-2011, 10:26 AM

Someone's mad.

MetalIsArt
07-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Where did I say that only the first four albums are sacred? I don't see that statement in my post anywhere. I was just knocking their two worst albums and giving praise to their four best ones. TBA, Reload and DM are all good albums. It's just most of Load and all of St. Anger are garbage. Every band has bad releases and those two happen to be Metallica's.

Metallica does do a good variety in their sets and that's one of the things I love about them live. But to think that something like TSW would somehow make the set after 20 years isn't oustside the box thinking, it's crazy thinking.

I'd love to see Escape, EOTB, TFEOS, THTJB or Fixxxer in the set but honestly I know it's not gonna happen and you move on. It's not worth complaining over because it's not gonna change the bands thinking.

No, i'm not an official ambassador. But i've been a fan of the band for over 20 years. When you've been a fan for that long you get a good idea of what the majority of the fanbase is like and what they want to hear live.

Metallica can't play every song they've recorded live but i'd like to think by now that they've established that they do enough variety live that people would stop complaining about "why don't they do this or that instead". I guess people are gonna say that no matter what, even though they change the set on a nightly basis.

It's not a piece of crap album, it's an album from a band that did what they wanted (they still do, ain't that right Lou Reed) and sold even more records.

And if you want to hear a true piece of crap album, put on "God hates us all" from Slayer. It's been 8 years since I last listened to it and I won't ever put it on again.

Why not starting your own band? And play 25 years for 100 people or less, like Anvil?

Skinny Juice
07-04-2011, 08:22 AM
I think Hit the Lights is an awesome opener, going straight into MOP.

I'm thinking it's some of the most ballin' shit ever. Opening with Hit The Lights is fucking brilliant. :rockdevil

Maideneer
07-05-2011, 06:28 AM
But to think that something like TSW would somehow make the set after 20 years isn't oustside the box thinking, it's crazy thinking.

Dyers Eve anyone? Hell they broke out Metal Militia when I saw them a couple years ago, so what's all this crazy thinking crap?

I can't decipher all the shorthand stuff, but do you know how many times I've said they are never gonna play something and they have?