PDA

View Full Version : New Dream Theater Song "On The Backs of Angels"

DisasterPiece120
06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08

I don't dig the effect on James' voice.

MPF
06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I really like this song. It doesn't even sound like Portnoy left the band, I mean that in a good way, not a sterile way.

Reminds me of the Awake & Octavarium ear DT playing In The Presence Of Enemies. A very odd way to describe it for sure.

It's the vibe I'm getting so far as I'm listening.

ShatteredFlame
06-29-2011, 11:00 AM
It's really boring.

Maidenmagic
06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
It's not bad but it doesn't really stick in my mind. I've listened to it twice.

mastodon421
06-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Meh.

IrritatedTrout
06-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Boring.

kommie
06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
It's really boring.

you just described every Dream Theater song.

slapguitarer
06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
It was pretty boring/meh

TonyD
06-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Yep, that's Dream Theater alright

kommie
06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
where's the DT fans defending the fact that they're not 'boring'?

cradle_of_maiden
06-29-2011, 04:26 PM

Listening to Adrenaline Mob

MPF
06-29-2011, 05:41 PM

Right here guy.

I don't find it boring at all. I get why people find it boring, but I'm not one of them.

Dissimulate
06-29-2011, 06:33 PM
That was fucking terrible, and I'm the kind of guy who is in love with literally everything the band has done (other then the last two albums). Adrenaline Mob also suck so I'll wait to pass final judgement until I hear the albums but I think Portnoy and DT need each other. Maybe Rudess wrote most of this song by himself or something.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-29-2011, 06:58 PM
It's was ok until Labrie started singing.

Maidenmagic
06-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Here. They're not boring. Just some of their songs are ( maybe on the backs of angels, the answer lies within, the ministry of lost souls etc.) Every band has at least one boring song.

Maidenmagic
06-29-2011, 07:05 PM
you just described every Dream Theater song.

Apparently you haven't heard most of their catalogue. Songs like Metropolis, The glass prison, lie etc. are difficult to put the boring label on.

treghet
06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I regret being hopeful that the album might be good. This is horrible.

SomewhereInTime72
06-29-2011, 08:57 PM
That song was borderline insulting.

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
I regret being hopeful that the album might be good. This is horrible.

That song was borderline insulting.

I'm sorry, but are you guys serious? I mean, you guys are allowed to have your opinions and all but this song is by no means "horrible." It's not even remotely far off from stuff they've done in the past.

treghet
06-29-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry, but are you guys serious? I mean, you guys are allowed to have your opinions and all but this song is by no means "horrible." It's not even remotely far off from stuff they've done in the past.

Keep in mind that all of their recent albums have about one song I care about. I wasn't hoping that this album would be a return to their early days, but I was certainly expecting something more inspired than this crap. More mindless circus music to me.

maidenpriest
06-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Definitely not their best but a decent song. I'm also glad that they don't sound much different with Portnoy's departure.

kommie
06-30-2011, 03:20 AM
this CD will be worse than Morbid Angels new one.

SirLardsAlot
06-30-2011, 04:38 AM
It sounds like every other DT song I've heard. :zzz:

ravenheart
06-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Nothing really wrong with that. It's just another DT song. Like DT or don't = like the song or don't, really. And comments from anyone who doesn't like DT anyway are irrelevant.

It's really not heavy enough though.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2011, 05:22 AM

I am not a DT fan by any stretch. But this song was like the worst reject from Octavarium. Honestly, this band hasn't made an album with more than one decent song on it since ToT. And even before then they.... ergh. They've never felt like inspired music to me, and this is just a new low. As a fan of progressive music I have to say that this song is horrendous.

Sanitarium78
06-30-2011, 05:46 AM
But this song was like the worst reject from Octavarium.

Exactly how I feel about it. The song is not good. I've listened to it three times and I feel nothing at all. No hooks musically or melody wise, just nothing that grabs me in slightest.

And the lyrics? Did they get a 12 year old to write them? They are BAD.

I'm a big fan of theirs and have enjoyed most of their output but this song is seriously disappointing.

ravenheart
06-30-2011, 06:13 AM
On second listen, it just doesn't go anywhere. It's a three-minute song, lacking in hooks, stretched out.

Maiden33
06-30-2011, 07:48 AM
1) Don't you people ever get tired of trying to make fun of Dream Theater? Seriously, it's pathetic. I've never seen another band that attracts so many people to comment in topics about them just to bitch and say they're terrible. Are you really that desperate for attention?

2) This song neither heightens or lowers my expectations. Frankly it's a step above a lot of their 2003-present material simply for the fact that I don't think it sticks out as being bad. A lot of the songs from Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos specifically seem bad to me. I only got to listen to the track once, but I agree that it just kinda feels like it lacks a hook or a "point". But seriously, everything this band has ever done has grown on me dramatically over time, so I'm not passing judgment until at least a few more listens. I still genuinely believe they could have more great songs up their sleeves, but this certainly wasn't spectacular. If anything though, it should shut up the people who were crying that DT was reliant upon Portnoy.

ravenheart
06-30-2011, 07:51 AM
I've never seen another band that attracts so many people to comment in topics about them just to bitch and say they're terrible. Are you really that desperate for attention?

Metallica and Guns N' Roses say "hey".

Maiden33
06-30-2011, 07:54 AM
They've never felt like inspired music to me

I just don't understand this. I mean, I'll bite if we're talking 1999-present. There are some songs I disagree about, but overall, I can understand what you're talking about, and through the course of their career, I admit they've made 15 or so songs I just flat-out don't like at all, whatsoever. They're one of my top 10-15 bands, but I am FAR from a fan-boy. But that being said, I just don't really understand how someone could say a songs like "Learning to Live" or "A Change of Seasons" lack inspiration.

Maiden33
06-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Metallica and Guns N' Roses say "hey".

I guess I wouldn't know, since I generally avoid topics about these bands, for basically that reason - I don't have anything positive or worthwhile to say.

ravenheart
06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
I guess I wouldn't know, since I generally avoid topics about these bands, for basically that reason - I don't have anything positive or worthwhile to say.

GN'R are comfortably THE most needlessly trolled band on the web. Easily.

Indestructible
06-30-2011, 08:04 AM
I do agree that people need to stop bitching about Dream Theater being boring, it's not the end of the world because they made one boring song. So what if their entire discogrpahy is boring. What you find boring someone else might love. IMO Dream Theater doesn't have that many bad songs, there are a few songs on Falling To Infinity and OCtavarium I don't like, and Systematic Chaos, has one or two songs I could do without. Other than that they're fine.
I like On The Backs Of Angels. It isn't boring, but it is far from their best work. Dream Theater does have worse songs. I have high hopes for the new album.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I just don't understand this. I mean, I'll bite if we're talking 1999-present. There are some songs I disagree about, but overall, I can understand what you're talking about, and through the course of their career, I admit they've made 15 or so songs I just flat-out don't like at all, whatsoever. They're one of my top 10-15 bands, but I am FAR from a fan-boy. But that being said, I just don't really understand how someone could say a songs like "Learning to Live" or "A Change of Seasons" lack inspiration.

Perhaps "never" is a bit of an overstatement, when I sort of just meant it as a generalization. As much as I generally don't like them, DT have some good (and some great) songs. As a non-fan I would still go as far as to say that Images and Words is probably a pretty good album as a whole.

One of my biggest problems with "good" (aka sfam and earlier) DT is that they are inconsistent from second to second. They have some really cool parts of songs, that will make you think like "goddamn this is sick" 'how did they come up with this" etc. but then instantly transition it into a segment that sounds like an overlay of each member doing exercises to a metronome. However past a certain point those awesome moments that they showed, and that my personal favorite bands show all the time (to my interpretation obviously) cease to exist. It all just sounds like it was barely even written by a human.... and not in a good way. :( Even the songs I somewhat enjoyed from recent albums had absolutely no such spark... Dunno if uninspired is the right word, or maybe unexciting. Or stale. I dunno it just doesn't even feel like "that thing that I don't like but whatever, they're doing what they do" anymore... it just feels kind of sad. :hmm:

DethMaiden
06-30-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm a Dream Theater fan and not typically a reductionist, but yep, "boring" is the only word for that song. How the hell that minute of ideas managed to be a nine-ish minutes song and get past every member and producer is beyond me.

MPF
06-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Everyone raagging on this song is annoying to me. I swear no one would give a fuck about the song if it wasn't for the whole Portnoy/DT scandal.

It's a very reserved song, bringing back elements of Awake and parts of Octavarium, which is what I was hoping to hear. Dream Theater doesn't always need to play over the top, hitting every not imaginable songs. Yes that is what they have become known for in the mainstream, but Real DT fans know better.

Just wait till you hear the full album before you completely bash the album.

treghet
06-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Just wait till you hear the full album before you completely bash the album.

I can't count how many times I read similar posts regarding Morbid Angel's release. That's not to say that I know for sure that this album will suck, but from my standpoint it's looking pretty bleak at the moment.

And as for saying people wouldn't care about this if Portnoy didn't leave... that's just ridiculous. I'm sure there are people who will bash the album and insult the band members, but aren't there always? This is nothing more than any other thread regarding Dream Theater. I for one care about DT just as much as I did before, and I was actually thinking this whole thing would turn out to be good for them. The opinion I expressed is a genuine one straight from a fan. If you can't accept that some people simply don't like this song then you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread.

MPF
06-30-2011, 06:10 PM
I can't count how many times I read similar posts regarding Morbid Angel's release. That's not to say that I know for sure that this album will suck, but from my standpoint it's looking pretty bleak at the moment.

And as for saying people wouldn't care about this if Portnoy didn't leave... that's just ridiculous. I'm sure there are people who will bash the album and insult the band members, but aren't there always? This is nothing more than any other thread regarding Dream Theater. I for one care about DT just as much as I did before, and I was actually thinking this whole thing would turn out to be good for them. The opinion I expressed is a genuine one straight from a fan. If you can't accept that some people simply don't like this song then you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread.

I said that as well about the new Morbid Angel, half the album sucks.

It's looking bleak? Because a lot of people find the SINGLE boring? Any album where the best song is the single, sucks. if this is the best song on the upcoming album I'll happily eat crow, but until then...no.

I think the last part is taking it a bit far. Bashing an album before you hear it is asinine. hate on the single all you want but the album? Come on.

Dissimulate
06-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Everyone raagging on this song is annoying to me. I swear no one would give a fuck about the song if it wasn't for the whole Portnoy/DT scandal.

It's a very reserved song, bringing back elements of Awake and parts of Octavarium, which is what I was hoping to hear. Dream Theater doesn't always need to play over the top, hitting every not imaginable songs. Yes that is what they have become known for in the mainstream, but Real DT fans know better.

I hate this song because I'm a giant Dream Theater fan, and regardless of the personnel status it fucking blows. I would rant and rave about how bad it sucked even if Portnoy was still in. I wouldn't call it reserved either, it just sucks to much to be epic. Also, the single is usually one of, if not the, best songs on the album. You release the good ones to get people hooked. At least the new Machine Head sounds good.

MPF
06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I hate this song because I'm a giant Dream Theater fan, and regardless of the personnel status it fucking blows. I would rant and rave about how bad it sucked even if Portnoy was still in. I wouldn't call it reserved either, it just sucks to much to be epic. [B]Also, the single is usually one of, if not the, best songs on the album. You release the good ones to get people hooked. At least the new Machine Head sounds good.

Not in my eyes. It almost never is. I mean yeah I get the point of the "single" but the idea at least to me is to make the best songs on an album the non-singles, because that is the reason why people should buy your album, not the song you give away for free by the label.

SomewhereInTime72
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I honestly would almost expect the band to have improved without Portnoy since he's the most pretentious and douchey of them all. ;) :tongue:

maidenpriest
07-02-2011, 02:39 AM
More detailed listen and it is definitely growing on me. Reminds me of the better material on Octavarium.

Maiden33
07-02-2011, 09:41 AM
More detailed listen and it is definitely growing on me. Reminds me of the better material on Octavarium.

This.

Sanitarium78
07-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Reminds me of the better material on Octavarium.

Really? I hear nothing in this song that sounds like 'The Root Of All Evil' or 'Panic Attack'.

Those songs actually rock and have a hook in them unlike this new one.

maidenpriest
07-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Really? I hear nothing in this song that sounds like 'The Root Of All Evil' or 'Panic Attack'.

Those songs actually rock and have a hook in them unlike this new one.

Reminds me more of songs like Sacrificed Sons or parts of the title track lol No definitely not like those songs.

Sanitarium78
07-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Reminds me more of songs like Sacrificed Sons or parts of the title track lol No definitely not like those songs.

Well, you did say "the better mateial off Octavarium" so I naturally assumed it was one of the two songs on the album worth the time to listen to;)

ShatteredFlame
07-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Panic Attack isn't worth listening to, the first 54seconds are good then after that the song just recycles itself over and over again. One of the most annoyingly repetitive songs I've heard tbh.

makethemsuffer12
07-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Panic Attack isn't worth listening to, the first 54seconds are good then after that the song just recycles itself over and over again. One of the most annoyingly repetitive songs I've heard tbh.

:mad:

That's my favorite DT song, albeit I'm not a hardcore fan or anything.

Maiden33
07-03-2011, 06:47 PM
To me, Octavarium is easily the most consistently good post-Scenes album. It's the only one where there aren't really great vs. shitty songs to me - they're all at least pretty good.

Fe Maiden
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
sounds good to me....I like it!

Dextrimental
07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Its good, its definitely latter day Dream Theater, and not a throwback to old Dream Theater.

Also, Octavarium the song is one of my favorite pieces of music ever!

AnthG
07-04-2011, 01:32 PM
That new song is at least 2 minutes too long.

Sanitarium78
07-04-2011, 02:35 PM
That new song is at least 2 minutes too long.

Na, more like 8 minutes and 50 seconds too long;)