PDA

View Full Version : MAKETHEMSUFFER12's Top 10 Favorite Albums

makethemsuffer12
06-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Because we all like making pointless lists to show how cool we think our musical tastes and opinions are, I said "Fuck it! Let's do this!"

So as the title informs you, here comes my top 10 favorite albums and why I like 'em. I'm not sure how often I will update this, but I hope some of you guys enjoy it either way.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zow0NKUTtjI/TELxRK2TwcI/AAAAAAAACc8/4GX8XaVHJXA/s1600/Testament-TheNewOrder.jpg

Well, where do I start? Many thrash fans would agree that Testament are in the top tier of thrash bands in terms of quality, musicianship, and all-around awesomeness. The band, in my eyes, have not released a single bad album and this one takes the cake for me. This album is pure thrash metal greatness from start to finish. From the eerie(pun intended), mysterious intro to "Eerie Inhabitants", to classic tracks like "Trial by Fire" and "Disciples of the Watch," and an excellent cover of Aerosmith's "Nobody's Fault," this album is an absolute must-have for any metal fan. The production, like Testament's other early releases, is not the best, but at the same time it gives it a special feel. Chuck Billy's vocals are absolutely ferocious, Eric Peterson's style of riffing is unique and instantly recognizable, Alex Skolnick's lead work is leaps and bounds above his peers with a style all his own, and bassist Greg Christian and drummer Louie Clemente are a tight rhythm section. What makes Testament so great on this album is that they take plenty of influence from bands that came before them (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, etc.), yet they play in a way that is totally their own and unlike any of their peers.

Standout Track:
The New Order (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9GWNFLHg58)

BloodoftheKings
06-25-2011, 08:30 PM
At least it's not another top 100. I Look forward to the rest of the list bro.

makethemsuffer12
06-25-2011, 08:51 PM
At least it's not another top 100. I Look forward to the rest of the list bro.

Dude I don't even think I've listened to 100 entire albums. :lol:

MPF
06-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Great start!

makethemsuffer12
06-26-2011, 05:12 PM
http://www.sikworld.com/artofmetal/Cannibal_Corpse-The_Bleeding.jpg

Oh yes. The band/album that turned me into a death metal fan. In my very early metal days (late '05, early '06), I very ignorantly shrugged off death metal as shit and just noise with stupid vocals. I also thought Lamb of God was death metal. As you can tell, I was a moron. As time passed, I started to become more tolerable of screaming vocals (you can thank Slipknot for that, probably), and everything changed for me when I saw a commercial for Cannibal Corpse's then-latest album, KILL, featuring none other than "Make Them Suffer" in it. I remember showing the song to my best friend, who at the time was also getting into teh metalz, and he actually went out and bought the album. I don't remember if I had it on my computer or not, but I do know that while I liked it, I didn't love it back then, as the complexity and chaotic-nature of the music went right over my head at the time. Later that year, I felt that it was about time for me to actually buy one of their damn albums. I saw the video for "Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead" online, so I decided to check out The Bleeding. I remember it clearly; I went to the FYE in the Roosevelt Field Mall in the December of 2006, just a week or two before Christmas, I believe. I had like a 50 dollar gift card or something, so I bought The Bleeding, along with Slayer's South of Heaven and Trivium's The Crusade. The album just blew me away with its heaviness, brutality, and craziness, yet at the same time being memorable and catchy. The Bleeding has to be one of my favorite sounding albums, as it has that raw, old-school feel to it while still having good production values. The guitars are crushing, the bass is prominent, and the vocals aren't buried in the mix. Aside from the quality of the sound, the quality of the songwriting is excellent as well. You have to give Chris Barnes credit for the incredibly catchy and memorable vocal patterns and lyrics on this album (and the best vocal performance of his career, might I add). As I've mentioned before, this album is so great and lasts the test of time because the songs are great and memorable, which isn't something I can say about a whole lot of death metal. Oh, AND THE RIFFS!! Jack Owens' guitar work and Alex Webster's bass work on the early CC albums are just magical in that they capture the feeling of pure insanity, to my ears, at least. And props to Rob Barrett, of course, for being able to actually keep up (sorry, Bob Rusay)! Paul Mazurkiewicz's performance is solid as always. The band would just not be the same without his drumming. I owe my love for death metal to this band and this album, so for that, I say thank you.

tl;dr: Shit's awesome. Listen to it.

Standout Track
Stripped, Raped and Strangled (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTczagDxl2o)

jhdeity
06-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Because we all like making pointless lists to show how cool we think our musical tastes and opinions are, I said "Fuck it! Let's do this!"

So as the title informs you, here comes my top 10 favorite albums and why I like 'em. I'm not sure how often I will update this, but I hope some of you guys enjoy it either way.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zow0NKUTtjI/TELxRK2TwcI/AAAAAAAACc8/4GX8XaVHJXA/s1600/Testament-TheNewOrder.jpg

Well, where do I start? Many thrash fans would agree that Testament are in the top tier of thrash bands in terms of quality, musicianship, and all-around awesomeness. The band, in my eyes, have not released a single bad album and this one takes the cake for me. This album is pure thrash metal greatness from start to finish. From the eerie(pun intended), mysterious intro to "Eerie Inhabitants", to classic tracks like "Trial by Fire" and "Disciples of the Watch," and an excellent cover of Aerosmith's "Nobody's Fault," this album is an absolute must-have for any metal fan. The production, like Testament's other early releases, is not the best, but at the same time it gives it a special feel. Chuck Billy's vocals are absolutely ferocious, Eric Peterson's style of riffing is unique and instantly recognizable, Alex Skolnick's lead work is leaps and bounds above his peers with a style all his own, and bassist Greg Christian and drummer Louie Clemente are a tight rhythm section. What makes Testament so great on this album is that they take plenty of influence from bands that came before them (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, etc.), yet they play in a way that is totally their own and unlike any of their peers.

Standout Track:
The New Order (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9GWNFLHg58)

Definitely in my Top 10 too

x-voltage
06-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Disciples of the Watch and Into the Pit, two of my favorite thrash songs of all time.

makethemsuffer12
06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/machine_head_-_the_blackening.jpg

The Blackening. One of the most praised and discussed metal releases of the last decade. Many claim it to be this generation's Master of Puppets while others say it is the most overrated album of this generation. Whichever stand you take, I'd say that it's hard to deny the quality of this release. It's hard to believe that this is the same band that jumped on the Nu Metal bandwagon in the late 90s. The epic arrangements and bone-crushing heaviness of this album does an excellent job of erasing the memories of The Burning Red and Supercharger from our minds (even though I don't really have any about their releases since I was watching Power Rangers and playing my Game Boy when they came out...). It even goes beyond the band's classic debut, Burn My Eyes, their equally solid sophomore effort, The More Things Change, and their critically acclaimed comeback album, Through the Ashes of Empires. The Blackening manages to trump all of these albums, and at the same time reinvent Machine Head's sound for a new generation of metal fans. Many claim MH to be jumping on the thrash bandwagon like they did when Nu Metal was in style, but the sheer excellence of the music makes such a point irrelevant. On The Blackening, the band successfully combines their signature heaviness and grooves with epic arrangements, a great melodic presence (the singing is better than anything Robb Flynn has ever done before), and old-school thrash influences (which isn't surprising, considering both Flynn and lead guitarist Phil Demmel were important members of the classic Bay-Area thrash band, Vio-lence) to create what I am sure is to be a timeless album that will be cherished by metal fans for many years to come.

Standout Track
Clenching the Fists of Dissent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhkQEWKeqTE)

x-voltage
06-28-2011, 07:34 AM
This is the best "top albums" list I've seen in a while. The Blackening would definitely be in my top 5. Every song is such a great song. The intros on Clenching the Fists and Halo are put together so well and really bring out the heavy chorus riffs. I'm glad they've made 2 solid albums in a row (Through the Ashes of the Empire and The Blackening). The new one should be epic as well based off of the new single Locust which was amazing.

jhdeity
06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
This is the best "top albums" list I've seen in a while. The Blackening would definitely be in my top 5. Every song is such a great song. The intros on Clenching the Fists and Halo are put together so well and really bring out the heavy chorus riffs. I'm glad they've made 2 solid albums in a row (Through the Ashes of the Empire and The Blackening). The new one should be epic as well based off of the new single Locust which was amazing.

Well said by both of you. I'll admit if Locust was on The Blackening it would be one of my least favorite songs but maybe it'll grow on me like Wolves did.

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2011, 03:30 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VaKszo42fgc/S6vZijLcLpI/AAAAAAAABxc/g4ohlksoQaM/s1600/84.jpg

Everyone's got their favorite Maiden album, so here's mine. If you regularly post on this board, then I really don't need to tell you why this album is so great. It's Maiden, one of the, if not, the greatest heavy metal band of all time, at one of their finest moments. The opening one-two punch of "Aces High" and "2 Minutes to Midnight" is one of the greatest album openers in metal history. The middle of the album has some truly underrated songs, my favorite probably being "Back in the Village," as I've always been a fan of Maiden's speedier, up-tempo songs. But the end of the album is what seals the deal for me. The middle-eastern influenced riffing combined with traditional Maiden style on the album's title track makes it stand out as one of the best songs of Maiden's career. And last but certainly not least, possibly my favorite Maiden song of all time, the 13-and-a-half minute epic, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner." What makes this song so great is that it truly takes you on a journey (a good modern example of such a song would be Mastodon's "The Last Baron"). A true classic.

Standout Track
Rime of the Ancient Mariner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA)

bennythedog
06-29-2011, 04:45 PM
http://elocometal.hastlehosting.com.ve/Powerslave.jpg

Everyone's got their favorite Maiden album, so here's mine. If you regularly post on this board, then I really don't need to tell you why this album is so great. It's Maiden, one of the, if not, the greatest heavy metal band of all time, at one of their finest moments. The opening one-two punch of "Aces High" and "2 Minutes to Midnight" is one of the greatest album openers in metal history. The middle of the album has some truly underrated songs, my favorite probably being "Back in the Village," as I've always been a fan of Maiden's speedier, up-tempo songs. But the end of the album is what seals the deal for me. The middle-eastern influenced riffing combined with traditional Maiden style on the album's title track makes it stand out as one of the best songs of Maiden's career. And last but certainly not least, possibly my favorite Maiden song of all time, the 13-and-a-half minute epic, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner." What makes this song so great is that it truly takes you on a journey (a good modern example of such a song would be Mastodon's "The Last Baron"). A true classic.

Standout Track

:party::rocker::blaze::light::horns:

x-voltage
06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Locust has grown on me every time I listen to it. I love when a song gets better and better with each listen. The one song that took a while to grow on me on The Blackening was A Farewell to Arms. At first I thought the song was just okay, but now I love it.

mastodon421
06-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Great choices so far dude. None of them are on my own personal list of favorites, but they are all fantastic albums. I look forward to seeing the rest of the list.

makethemsuffer12
06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Great choices so far dude. None of them are on my own personal list of favorites, but they are all fantastic albums. I look forward to seeing the rest of the list.

That's kinda funny, because my next choice is...

makethemsuffer12
06-30-2011, 10:00 AM
http://www.heavymetalreview.com/graphics/trivium/trivium_shogun.jpg(Shogun)

Aaaaaaand this is where people are going to get butthurt. "A Trivium album above a Maiden album???!! BLASPHEMYYYYY ARRRGGHHHH!!!!!11" Trivium has been one of my favorite bands for a while now, and while I wouldn't say they're a better band than Maiden by any means, they'll always have a special place in my heart. It also helps that this album is absolutely monstrous. It is the album that combines all of the elements that has made Trivium great in the past and at the same time managed to shut some of the haters up. The band's musicianship and songwriting has never been better than on this album. Stylistically, the band takes their thrash, prog, and melodeath influences and combines them with their pop-esque melodic sensibility found on their previous releases. All these elements combine to create a heavy, technically proficient, and accessible metal album that really stands out, IMO. If you still doubt me, then listen to the album's epic title track (their masterpiece, if you ask me) to truly see what this band is capable of.

Standout Track
Shogun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5qB1kTmUZA)

larvtard
06-30-2011, 10:07 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VaKszo42fgc/S6vZijLcLpI/AAAAAAAABxc/g4ohlksoQaM/s1600/84.jpg

Standout Track

why is this album so great?

no seriously

makethemsuffer12
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
why is this album so great?

no seriously

Listen to it.

mastodon421
06-30-2011, 10:56 AM
That's kinda funny, because my next choice is...

You bastard;) You were on a good roll too....

x-voltage
06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
I''m definitely not hating on Shogun like most people probably will. It is another album that would be in my top 10. Our lists are pretty close so far. I hate how people will rip this album and probably never listened to it. It is a great metal record from guitar work to drums to vocals. Just give it a chance. If you haven't listened to it, just listen to Insurrection and tell me how that's not a good song.

OraclesofAgony
06-30-2011, 08:14 PM
The only Trivium song I really like is Becoming the Dragon. I've never listened to Shogun aside from two songs but I don't have a desire to. Matt's vocals bother me a lot.

makethemsuffer12
06-30-2011, 09:24 PM
The only Trivium song I really like is Becoming the Dragon. I've never listened to Shogun aside from two songs but I don't have a desire to. Matt's vocals bother me a lot.

Totally understandable. That's usually the thing that draws the most hate for the band. :lol:

OraclesofAgony
06-30-2011, 09:45 PM
I also like the song "In the Fire" on that Roadrunner United album a lot. To me that song shows that Matt is a talented guitarist, I just think his vocals and his songwriting with Trivium are bad for my tastes.

BloodoftheKings
06-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Trivium is one of the only metalcore bands where I like the clean vocals more then the harsh vocals. Matt's clean vocals are actually pretty good, if he did them most of the time I think they would be a better band. I think Shogun is actually a pretty good album.

Rocco44
06-30-2011, 11:02 PM
I''m definitely not hating on Shogun like most people probably will. It is another album that would be in my top 10. Our lists are pretty close so far. I hate how people will rip this album and probably never listened to it. It is a great metal record from guitar work to drums to vocals. Just give it a chance. If you haven't listened to it, just listen to Insurrection and tell me how that's not a good song.

eh, it was ok. a couple good riffs here and there but overall pretty boring. and Matt's vocals don't help lol

hellawaits77ny
06-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Great pick w/ 'The Bleeding'!!!! Not often I'll call a death metal album beautiful, but that masterpiece is!

I like your Trivium pick, too :rocker:

x-voltage
07-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Matt's clean vocals are some of the best in metalcore. I hate the terrible corny vocals of Bullet for my Valentine and bands similar to that. In the Fire off of the Roadrunner United album is amazing. The solos are incredible. It truly feels like a King Diamond or Mercyful Fate song.

makethemsuffer12
07-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Matt's clean vocals are some of the best in metalcore. I hate the terrible corny vocals of Bullet for my Valentine and bands similar to that. In the Fire off of the Roadrunner United album is amazing. The solos are incredible. It truly feels like a King Diamond or Mercyful Fate song.

Well, I think you could thank this guy for that.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QTA4z9i9CAQ/TMeXm_aBj3I/AAAAAAAAClw/8GA1PWz7thA/s1600/KING_DIAMOND.tif.big1.jpg

makethemsuffer12
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/9/3/593.jpg

Highly praised as one of the best metal albums of all time, Rust In Peace is Megadeth at its finest. There's not much to say what hasn't been said before, but this album just rips from start to finish, from the quintessential Megadeth classic "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" to the nuclear warhead anthem, "Rust In Peace... Polaris." As usual with Megadeth, the musicianship is top notch and lightyears ahead of their peers. Mustaine's riffs are some of the most technical and complex in thrash, yet are still memorable and catchy. David Ellefson's basslines are solid and pretty unique as well, the best examples being "Five Magics" and "Poison Was the Cure" (his little solo run in "Take No Prisoners" is pretty sick, as well). The album also marks the debut of guitar virtuoso Marty Freidman and drummer Nick Menza in Megadeth. Friedman's leads on this album are among the best in metal history, the most known one being "Tornado of Souls." Menza's drumming is excellent and precise and fits perfectly with the songs. Props to Mike Clink and Max Norman for producing and engineering the album, respectively. The album has a classic and truly timeless sound. Megadeth have always been one of the most unique bands in metal, and Rust In Peace is their crowning achievement. It's a damn shame I couldn't get into their set last summer when I saw them play the whole damn thing in its entirety...
Standout Track
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4ui9q7eDM)

OraclesofAgony
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
:party:

I personally like Peace Sells a tiny bit better, but both albums are classic.

Rocco44
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Instant redemption. Classic fucking album for sure

x-voltage
07-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Another epic pick:rocker:

illuminatus917
07-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Rust In Peace would be in my top 10 without a doubt.

The New Order wouldn't be, but it's a damn fine album.

makethemsuffer12
07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
http://keepitmetal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/addicted.jpg

This album is the "newest" album on the list, but ever since I first heard it last year, I knew that it was something special. There is simply nothing else like it, which is one of the things that drew me to it so much. This unique mix of metal and pop was nothing like what I've ever heard before. It was heavy, crushing, grooving, and at the same time melodic, but not in typical metal fashion. Needless to say, I became addicted (HURRRR DURRRRR SEE WAT I DID THARR) to this album. Devin Townsend is one of the most talented vocalists, guitarists, and songwriters in all of fucking music, and he really shines on Addicted. This is arguably Devin's most accessible album, considering how excellently poppy it is underneath all those heavy guitars (you can thank singer Anneke Van Giersbergen for helping with that). Whenever I hear songs like "Bend it like Bender!" or "Ih-Ah!" (Devy appears to have an infatuation with exclamation marks on this record) I think to myself "Fuck, why aren't these songs huge hits?" It's really a damn shame if you ask me. Anyway, there is a reason why this album is so high on my list; It's absolutely fucking incredible from start to finish. Amazing songs, amazing singing from both Devin and Anneke, heavy-as-fuck guitars, and an insanely layered production. I honestly can't recommend this album enough.

Standout Track
Awake! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybnwFnJET7E)

BloodoftheKings
07-04-2011, 09:10 AM
:agree:

hellawaits77ny
07-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I definately dig your list Bro :rocker:

OraclesofAgony
07-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I need to listen to that.

makethemsuffer12
07-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I need to listen to that.

Oh yes you fucking do.

makethemsuffer12
07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Honorable Mentions

Now, before I go into the top 3, I just want to give some shoutouts to some other albums that I love that didn't make the list.

http://hardrockheavymetal.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/whitesnake-1987.jpg?w=614

Goddamn, do I love this album. This is the album where some people claim that Whitesnake sold out and became a hair metal band, and based on how they looked at the time, I can't blame them for that accusation. But the quality of the music is far better than other so called "hair metal" bands. Almost every time I pick up a guitar I immediately start playing the riff from "Bad Boys." All in all, it's a fucking great '80s hard rock/metal album.

Standout Track
Children of the Night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9uLnYW4Lho)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tOdk8POtflw/TNdEsF4e7NI/AAAAAAAAAFY/20zmfpPMiRs/s320/at.jpg

What can I say? It's probably the best melodic death metal album of all time. Every song is killer, the production is great, and it is truly one of the most influential metal albums ever. It's the shit.

Standout Track
Slaughter of the Soul
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJme5uubkyQ)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3mVrt3r3PAc/TAsMX8ttVCI/AAAAAAAAAW0/cRY5ysr87j4/s320/trivium3.jpg

The album that both Trivium fans and detractors love to hate on. This is the album that got me into the band and it was pretty integral for me becoming the die-hard metal fan I am today. Trivium takes the modern metalcore formula and incorporates thrash, '80s metal, and prog metal influences to create an album that is, dare I say it, unique in a way (in the sense of thrash verses + melodic metalcore choruses). Aside from some of the godawful lyrics and the infinitely cheesy (and not in a good way), second-rate "Dying in your Arms" knockoff known as "This World Can't Tear Us Apart," it's a pretty solid modern metal release that gets waaaaaaaaay more hate than it really deserves.

Standout Track
Ignition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Ix1UpRrNg)

http://johau.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/01_god_hates_us_all.jpg

This album = The most pissed off sounding album I know of. Also Slayer's heaviest album. Proof below.

Standout Track.
Payback (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUC_sgyWi0)

http://images.wikia.com/metallica/images/b/bd/Metallica_-_Metallica.jpg

The album that nowadays 'Tallica fans are pretty 50/50 on. As it was to a lot of young metal fans, this album was pretty important to me. Not to mention that the second half of the album has some of the band's most underrated songs, such as:

Standout Track
The Struggle Within (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGojL_HEkEU)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514FnLMr5vL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The album that got me into heavy music. Often written off by metal fans as "some pop bullshit," this album is really not all that bad. The music might be pretty simple at its core, but the dark, gothic undertones sets it apart from other modern "pop" rock bands. In hindsight, it's pretty crazy to me that they were constantly played on pop radio station when "Bring Me to Life" was their big song given their fairly dark and heavy style. Fallen's got some great, catchy songs that I still love to this day and I owe it everything because without it, I might not have became a metal fan.

Standout Track
Whisper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj6fKvVSfq8)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_O6ELZyMTUaQ/SKMHqeZ18tI/AAAAAAAAAHs/du_kSBtJpSc/s320/sc.jpg

Daron Malakian's post-System of a Down band (also featuring SOAD drummer John Dolmayan). It's a really solid and underrated album if you ask me. All the songs are pretty simple, but they are catchy as fuck and filled with hooks. One of my favorites from '08.

Standout Track
Babylon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtTD_2wX4Gk)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/618pvPqV-1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The album that broke SOAD through big time. A modern classic.

Standout Track
Deer Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkkOQjK71Ss)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61IKjNirI-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably one of the most important albums of the 2000's. This album pioneered in the so-called "New Wave of American Metal" and melodic metalcore scenes. KSE's best album, without a doubt.

Standout Track
Just Barely Breathing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HRrQqa5kjI)

hellawaits77ny
07-08-2011, 06:24 PM
I dig a bunch of your HM's.

Trivium - The Crusade : I agree there is some filler, but it's my favorite Trivium album. First 2 tracks are simply awesome.

Slayer - God Hates Us All : Fuck yeah. One of my favorite Slayer albums.

Metallica - Metallica : One of my least favorite albums by them, but I agree w/ your comment about the 2nd half. Does have some great tunes, Through The Never, Of Wolf and Man, The God That Failed, The Struggle Within.

SOAD - Toxicity : Hate these assholes now, but this album is a classic. No doubt about it.

larvtard
07-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I've always thought that I had heard "Dying In Your Arms" from somewhere else before. Like the band blatantly ripped off the song from another band or something.

BloodoftheKings
07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Also Slayer's heaviest album.

:hmm:

x-voltage
07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Definitely agree that Alive or Just Breathing is one of the most important metal albums on the 2000s. It would be in my top 10. It's my favorite vocal album of all time. Jesse Leach is a monster on that album, great screams and amazing clean vocals. It is definitely their best album by far, and they have gone downhill ever since then.

Indestructible
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514FnLMr5vL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The album that got me into heavy music. Often written off by metal fans as "some pop bullshit," this album is really not all that bad. The music might be pretty simple at its core, but the dark, gothic undertones sets it apart from other modern "pop" rock bands. In hindsight, it's pretty crazy to me that they were constantly played on pop radio station when "Bring Me to Life" was their big song given their fairly dark and heavy style. Fallen's got some great, catchy songs that I still love to this day and I owe it everything because without it, I might not have became a metal fan.

I was ten when Fallen came out, this was my introduction to rock and metal(along with Disturbed, Metallica and System Of A Down). Still love Fallen to this day and that wont change. This album is also the reason I like female fronted rock and metal so much.

Indestructible
07-09-2011, 11:59 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61IKjNirI-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably one of the most important albums of the 2000's. This album pioneered in the so-called "New Wave of American Metal" and melodic metalcore scenes. KSE's best album, without a doubt.

Standout Track
Just Barely Breathing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HRrQqa5kjI)

I like all Killswitch Engage albums but I think Howard Jones is better than Jesse Leach.

The_jman
07-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I like all Killswitch Engage albums but I think Howard Jones is better than Jesse Leach.
I will agree with you vocally I prefer howard but song writing wise, Jesse wrote with more variety, Howard's lyrics are all pretty much on relationships, which is ok but gets boring to always have the same subject.

and I prefer Jesse's vocals on times of grace much more than I ever did on alive or just breathing.

larvtard
07-09-2011, 05:26 PM
http://johau.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/01_god_hates_us_all.jpg

Slayer's heaviest album.

By that same logic, St. Anger is Metallica's heaviest album. Modern production can make anything sound heavy, bro.

makethemsuffer12
07-09-2011, 07:14 PM
By that same logic, St. Anger is Metallica's heaviest album. Modern production can make anything sound heavy, bro.

Did I say it was because of the album's production? No, it's because the music is actually heavy as fuck. And that St. Anger argument is flawed because while it is a modern album, it has a shit production.

BloodoftheKings
07-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I have to agree with logan on this one. The first three albums are much heavier then GHUA. I am the only one who doesn't think payback is that great of a song? The lyrics come off as a little silly to me.

x-voltage
07-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I really like Howard, but Jesse is so much better in my opinion. His voice is so epic, and a voice like his doesn't come around that often.

makethemsuffer12
07-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I have to agree with logan on this one. The first three albums are much heavier then GHUA. I am the only one who doesn't think payback is that great of a song? The lyrics come off as a little silly to me.

Show No Mercy is by no means heavier than GHUA.

The_jman
07-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I really like Howard, but Jesse is so much better in my opinion. His voice is so epic, and a voice like his doesn't come around that often.
never really liked his screams to be honest.

larvtard
07-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Show No Mercy is by no means heavier than GHUA.

Yeah, I'll have to give that to you, but Hell Awaits is by far the heaviest Slayer album (it's the closest to death metal they've ever gone). And I'm not even talking about production here.

BloodoftheKings
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Hell Awaits is by far the heaviest Slayer album (it's the closest to death metal they've ever gone). And I'm not even talking about production here.

This

makethemsuffer12
07-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I'll have to give that to you, but Hell Awaits is by far the heaviest Slayer album (it's the closest to death metal they've ever gone). And I'm not even talking about production here.

I get what you're saying, but I'm gonna have to disagree.

hellawaits77ny
07-12-2011, 12:00 AM

Payback's lyrics are a little silly.

Everyone has a different definition of "heavy". I consider how "heavy" an album is by my own opinion of how "brutal" it is. This might sound like jibberish, but it's the best way I can describe. IMO, Slayer's heaviest albums go:

1) Reign in Blood
2) Hell Awaits
3) God Hates Us All

Sepultura69
07-12-2011, 12:12 AM

I forgot where I read this but I remember reading some where about how the song "Payback" was suppose to be a direct diss' towards Machine head singer Robert Flynn. I wish I could find the link but I forgot where I read this. It was a good couple of years ago.

BloodoftheKings
07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
I forgot where I read this but I remember reading some where about how the song "Payback" was suppose to be a direct diss' towards Machine head singer Robert Flynn. I wish I could find the link but I forgot where I read this. It was a good couple of years ago.

I know their was beef between Kerry King and Robb Flynn cause Kerry started talking shit about Machine Head for selling out but I don't think that's what the song was about.

makethemsuffer12
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
So yeah maybe I should finish this...

Here's a hint: #3 is bloody.

treghet
08-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Is it also gory?

makethemsuffer12
08-20-2011, 01:34 PM

http://discotecaxaranga.com/images/SLAYER-REIGN%20IN%20BLOOD.jpg

OH. FUCK. YES. One of the most important metal releases of all time (if there was a list, it would definitely be in the top 5).Like it or not, you can't, you just fucking can't deny the influence this album had and still has. If there is any way I could possibly describe this album, it would be pure, heavy-metal evil. In the mid-80's, Slayer took speed metal to a whole new fucking level. At the time, no one was faster, no one was more evil, and no one was more aggressive than the almighty Slayer. While Reign In Blood might not be the first of its kind (Slayer already did that with Hell Awaits), it was the one that took that pure, heavy-metal evil beyond anything previously recorded. From the second it starts to the second it ends, it just does not fucking let up or wimp out. I honestly believe it is physically impossible for any metal fan's heart to not start racing when that opening riff for "Angel of Death" kicks in. It just keeps building and building, until all fucking Hell breaks loose when Tom Araya opens his mouth and Dave Lombardo starts shaking his feet. The Perfect start to a perfect album. And it doesn't stop there. Classic song after classic fucking song, from "Piece by Piece" to one of my personal favorites, "Criminally Insane" (the first Slayer song I ever heard, I believe). And what a better to end an album than the one-two punch to the fucking esophagus of "Postmortem" and Slayer's signature track, "Raining Blood". When it comes to getting pumped up at a concert, almost nothing comes close to the epicness that is "Raining Blood". Nothing is more epic than circling around the momentarily-calm pit, eyeing down every person in there you see, with the signature "DUN DUN DUN' drums and guitar feedback in the background. And then, BOOM. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX6Jw1tgAxE&feature=player_detailpage#t=117s) What more do I have to say. I can guaran-fucking-tee you that extreme metal would not be the way it is today without Reign In Blood.

Standout Track.
Don't be an asshole, listen to the whole damn thing. It's only 30 fucking minutes.

IrritatedTrout
08-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Standout Track.
Don't be an asshole, listen to the whole damn thing. It's only 30 fucking minutes.

:lol:

llama lom
08-20-2011, 03:21 PM
:fist:

mastodon421
08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Great fucking choice:rocker:

El Gordo
08-21-2011, 05:00 AM
In the mid-80's, Slayer took speed metal to a whole new fucking level.

Except Slayer didn't play speed metal. :eyes:

makethemsuffer12
08-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Except Slayer didn't play speed metal. :eyes:

I know, I know, but just go with it...

El Gordo
08-21-2011, 08:21 AM
I know, I know, but just go with it...

:lol:

makethemsuffer12
11-12-2011, 04:34 PM
So, um, yea, maybe I'll get around to finishing this someday...

Epidemic Reign
11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking about doing one of these threads, just because there would probably be quite a few albums on mine that wouldn't appear on anyone else's.

Seventhzealot
11-12-2011, 05:52 PM

http://discotecaxaranga.com/images/SLAYER-REIGN%20IN%20BLOOD.jpg

OH. FUCK. YES. One of the most important metal releases of all time (if there was a list, it would definitely be in the top 5).Like it or not, you can't, you just fucking can't deny the influence this album had and still has. If there is any way I could possibly describe this album, it would be pure, heavy-metal evil. In the mid-80's, Slayer took speed metal to a whole new fucking level. At the time, no one was faster, no one was more evil, and no one was more aggressive than the almighty Slayer. While Reign In Blood might not be the first of its kind (Slayer already did that with Hell Awaits), it was the one that took that pure, heavy-metal evil beyond anything previously recorded. From the second it starts to the second it ends, it just does not fucking let up or wimp out. I honestly believe it is physically impossible for any metal fan's heart to not start racing when that opening riff for "Angel of Death" kicks in. It just keeps building and building, until all fucking Hell breaks loose when Tom Araya opens his mouth and Dave Lombardo starts shaking his feet. The Perfect start to a perfect album. And it doesn't stop there. Classic song after classic fucking song, from "Piece by Piece" to one of my personal favorites, "Criminally Insane" (the first Slayer song I ever heard, I believe). And what a better to end an album than the one-two punch to the fucking esophagus of "Postmortem" and Slayer's signature track, "Raining Blood". When it comes to getting pumped up at a concert, almost nothing comes close to the epicness that is "Raining Blood". Nothing is more epic than circling around the momentarily-calm pit, eyeing down every person in there you see, with the signature "DUN DUN DUN' drums and guitar feedback in the background. And then, BOOM. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX6Jw1tgAxE&feature=player_detailpage#t=117s) What more do I have to say. I can guaran-fucking-tee you that extreme metal would not be the way it is today without Reign In Blood.

Standout Track.

As much as I love Reign in Blood I think I would be in a substantial minority when I say that Show no mercy is my favorite Slayer record.

makethemsuffer12
11-12-2011, 06:08 PM
As much as I love Reign in Blood I think I would be in a substantial minority when I say that Show no mercy is my favorite Slayer record.

Nothing wrong with that, dude. 'Tis a great record. :fist:

JRA
11-12-2011, 06:51 PM

I thought that for a while.