PDA

View Full Version : Sleep -- New York, NY -- June 22nd, 2011

bt11763
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Holy shit. Although the atmosphere and venue was better last time I saw them, this was nothing short of a religious experience...mostly because i was higher than an eagle's pussy.

The combination of death-doom pioneers Winter and the gods themselves Sleep was a fucking dream. Please see either of these bands if you ever get the chance.

Winter played for about an hour, and although I'm not too familiar with their material, they did play Eternal Frost.

Sleep played a 2 hour set, made up of their longest, most massive songs from their catalog. Not even Terminal 5's notoriety for having shitty sound could ruin them, they sounded great the entire time, although their were some weird pops going on during Winter's set.

Sleep's set is as follows:

First 20 minutes of Dopesmoker :stoned:
Holy Mountain
Dragonaut
Antarticans Thawed
Aquarian
Sonic Titan :eek:
From Beyond
The Druid
Nain's Baptism
Cultivator

I feel so fortunate to have been able to see Sleep twice in the past year. Do not give up an opportunity to see them if they come near you.

idrinkwine732
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
wait

this was yesterday night

i could have been there

wat

im going to go kill myself

bt11763
06-23-2011, 10:28 AM
wait

this was yesterday night

i could have been there

wat

im going to go kill myself

you're in the NYC area?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKAtFdhu7s

idrinkwine732
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
you're in the NYC area?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKAtFdhu7s

I flew home from DC yesterday, but I was going to head up to NYC instead. I thought this show was two days ago, so I decided I couldn't make it and went home instead. I would have toootallly gone, I feel straight up dirty right now.

I need to go take a shower or something.

mankvill
06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Antarticans Thawed
Cultivator

Still trying to figure out what these are. Parts of Dopesmoker? New songs?

But: Sonic Titan! :drool:

bt11763
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I flew home from DC yesterday, but I was going to head up to NYC instead. I thought this show was two days ago, so I decided I couldn't make it and went home instead. I would have toootallly gone, I feel straight up dirty right now.

dirty, dirty boy. :nonono:

Still trying to figure out what these are. Parts of Dopesmoker? New songs?

But: Sonic Titan! :drool:

My thoughts exactly. I think cultivator might be part of dopesmoker, it felt like it was last night, but again, high as shit.

jd091
06-23-2011, 12:00 PM
This sounds amaaaaazing! Me jelly.

ShatteredFlame
06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Something came up and I wasn't able to go :wallbang:

larvtard
06-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Something came up and I wasn't able to go :wallbang:

I'm not sure which one of those sucks more :boohoo::bawling:

slapguitarer
06-23-2011, 12:32 PM
You lucky bastard! I'd love the hear Sonic Titan live!

Sonic Titan :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

TonyD
06-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Nice, looks like we're not getting a bay area date like I assumed we would. One show in Canada tomorrow night and one at the Wiltern Sunday, let's hope there's some kind of secret show going on when they get home :lol:

bt11763
06-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Nice, looks like we're not getting a bay area date like I assumed we would. One show in Canada tomorrow night and one at the Wiltern Sunday, let's hope there's some kind of secret show going on when they get home :lol:

ehhh, i hate to break it to you, butttt... http://freelancefiend.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-was-your-fathers-day-you-bbq.html

:eyes:

ShatteredFlame
06-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure which one of those sucks more :boohoo::bawling:

ehh I was doing alright until just a few moments ago. I had to miss it because I had to help my dad do something so he wouldn't have to take off from work. Guess what he does today? He takes off from work. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::bouville::bouville::mad: :mad::mad::bouville::bouville:

TonyD
06-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Well fuck. I'll just assume it was 21+ to make myself feel better.

bt11763
06-23-2011, 03:35 PM
ehh I was doing alright until just a few moments ago. I had to miss it because I had to help my dad do something so he wouldn't have to take off from work. Guess what he does today? He takes off from work. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::bouville::bouville::mad: :mad::mad::bouville::bouville:

http://myfacewhen.com/images/231.jpg

I WOULD BE SO PISSED

idrinkwine732
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM
ehhh, i hate to break it to you, butttt... http://freelancefiend.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-was-your-fathers-day-you-bbq.html

:eyes:

I heard about that show a long time ago, but assumed it was just a rumor. I couldn't have made fathers day though...

causeofdeath
06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Holy shit. Although the atmosphere and venue was better last time I saw them, this was nothing short of a religious experience...mostly because i was higher than an eagle's pussy.

The combination of death-doom pioneers Winter and the gods themselves Sleep was a fucking dream. Please see either of these bands if you ever get the chance.

Winter played for about an hour, and although I'm not too familiar with their material, they did play Eternal Frost.

Sleep played a 2 hour set, made up of their longest, most massive songs from their catalog. Not even Terminal 5's notoriety for having shitty sound could ruin them, they sounded great the entire time, although their were some weird pops going on during Winter's set.

Sleep's set is as follows:

First 20 minutes of Dopesmoker :stoned:
Holy Mountain
Dragonaut
Antarticans Thawed
Aquarian
Sonic Titan :eek:
From Beyond
The Druid
Nain's Baptism
Cultivator

I feel so fortunate to have been able to see Sleep twice in the past year. Do not give up an opportunity to see them if they come near you.

Where are you getting that from? their sound is notorious for being that of the best in the city... its my favorite venue in the city for sure, the atmosphere/sound/everything makes it awesome. but anyway, that sets pretty rad. nothing i didnt see them play last time around tho. Sleep is fucking amazing live, bummed i couldnt have been at this one

larvtard
06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Where are you getting that from? their sound is notorious for being that of the best in the city... its my favorite venue in the city for sure, the atmosphere/sound/everything makes it awesome. but anyway, that sets pretty rad. nothing i didnt see them play last time around tho. Sleep is fucking amazing live, bummed i couldnt have been at this one

Well, in that case it wouldn't be notorious then...

idrinkwine732
06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Well, in that case it wouldn't be notorious then...

Think again, those New York hipsters think good sound ruins their indie cred.

ShatteredFlame
06-27-2011, 04:50 PM
nah hipsters HATE Terminal 5, just scroll through any post : http://www.google.com/cse?cx=017578236413099448867%3Aybcvcedm6km&cof=FORID%3A0&q=terminal+5&sa=Search&siteurl=www.brooklynvegan.com%2Ftest.php

...And that's where the notorious bad sound cred comes from. Metal bands don't play there unless it's something special that will sell out such a big venue like this(it didn't even) or Opeth last year(this did though). I went to Opeth last year and the sound just wasn't loud enough.

larvtard
06-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Think again, those New York hipsters think good sound ruins their indie cred.

Oh, I was just arguing semantics :lol:
(because notorious implies something bad, not good...:tp:)

bobbie solo
06-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Bands, metal or not, play there when they grow to the Hammerstein/Roseland level, but Bowery Presents is their local promoter. If they go with Live Nation or Metropolitan, they go to Hammerstein/Roseland/Beacon etc. If they with Bowery Presents, they go to T5 or United Palace. That's it.

idrinkwine732
06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Oh, I was just arguing semantics :lol:
(because notorious implies something bad, not good...:tp:)

I know, I was being a contrarian to your statement.