PDA

View Full Version : Worst Metal Album In Recent Times

MPF
06-19-2011, 03:18 PM
*I'm hoping to make this so bashing only happens here and instead of threads that don't need it.*

So what do you think is the worst Metal album in recent times?

brutal_descent
06-19-2011, 03:22 PM
*I'm hoping to make this so bashing only happens here and instead of threads that don't need it.*

So what do you think is the worst Metal album in recent times?

Morbid Angel? :tp: I'll say it so nobody else has to.

Travis The Dragon
06-19-2011, 03:23 PM
The new Queensryche.

MPF
06-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Just made the poll.

JRA
06-19-2011, 03:25 PM
No one will ever top the suckage of St. Anger. At least IDI had some listenable tracks like Existo-Vulgore.

El Gordo
06-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Of the albums I've heard off that list, St. Anger is the worst. Of the albums I've heard off ANY list, St. Anger is the worst. I remember how after buying that album, my buddies and I sat around drinking beer and just ripping the shit out of everything about it. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities about it. Even if the production wasn't completely shit, the music is. My lifestyle determines my deathstyle? Fuck you Kirk, why are you writing lyrics? You haven't even written a good guitar solo since 1986.

ravenheart
06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Certainly none of those.

MPF
06-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Certainly none of those.

Not even Other? :D

El Gordo
06-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Not even Other? :D

Yeah, seriously. If it's not St. Anger, then what is it?

Dextrimental
06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
These recent 'crab-core' are much worse.

St. Anger, I maintain, needed to be made. Its not good, but Metallica needed to make that ecord to prevent total implosion.

Most of these records are, if nothing else, honest. And I will take an honest bad record over a trendy one anyway.

larvtard
06-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Other. Lazarus A.D. - Black Rivers Flow

makethemsuffer12
06-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Other. Lazarus A.D. - Black Rivers Flow

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hurr_train.jpg

I haven't heard it, but isn't that new The Haunted album supposed to be awful?

mastodon421
06-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Other: Emmure-Speaker Of The Dead. Also you've got be shitting me for putting Bodom and In Flames on that list. I mean I can see not liking them, but worst metal albums in recent memory? That's kind of ridiculous.

OraclesofAgony
06-19-2011, 08:37 PM
*Insert Deathcore album here (Suicide Silence especially)*

I can tolerate St. Anger over a majority of the deathcore that's out there.

The_jman
06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Probably st. Anger but I've not heard most of those on the list. I really enjoyed the in flames album as I have said before.

illuminatus917
06-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I think the question should be, given the choices in the poll, "what's the most disappointing metal album in recent times."

MPF
06-19-2011, 10:26 PM
I think the question should be, given the choices in the poll, "what's the most disappointing metal album in recent times."

In hindsight, that is the route I should have taken, but once you hit enter, there's no going back.

And yes, the New Haunted is fucking terrible, but I limited it down to 10.

masterguy49
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I think having both the new In Flames and COB is just ridiculous. They don't belong with the others.

orlandodavis
06-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Pick any Dark Funeral album.

MPF
06-19-2011, 11:09 PM
I think having both the new In Flames and COB is just ridiculous. They don't belong with the others.

Being a long time fan of both and being a huge fan of them up to this year....I think they both deserve it.

SomewhereInTime72
06-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Worst is something I probably haven't heard, so I went for most disappointing.

That would be the terribad Cryptopsy album. It was worse than St. Anger and more disappointing because I honestly don't see how people could have had much expectation from Metallica at that point in time. They were pretty much my favorite band at the time and I still thought it was gonna be lame.

illuminatus917
06-19-2011, 11:34 PM

Dude...

Wizzbang11
06-19-2011, 11:38 PM
For disappointing, I'd actually go for Municipal Waste's Massive Aggressive (unless some other abomination is escaping my mind right now.)
The album isn't bad, and is certainly better than the ones listed, but Jesus Christ was that disappointing. The winning streak of Waste Em All-Art of Partying made me think they could do no wrong. Well, they did. And that was making a boring forgettable retro thrash album.
Metallica and Morbid Angel aren't really disappointing to me because it's not like I'd actually expect a great album. Did I think it would be Radikult bad? No, but I had already stopped giving a shit about Morbid Angel years before I was born.

And Dark Funeral were great.

MPF
06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I can see that with Municipal Wate, even though I love Massive Aggressive. My old singer in Shattered says the same thing about how disappointing it was to him. But where else you would you get the great line of "This next song will titty fuck your soul." if it wasn't for Thrashin Of The Christ?

Hahaha

brutal_descent
06-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Playground Fading isn't worse than Sense of Purpose. Why not include both? :tp:

ravenheart
06-20-2011, 02:54 AM
Like someone else said, the truly worst stuff I just haven't heard because I know it's going to be shit. Worst thing I've heard in recent years though is far and away the last Assjack album.

MPF
06-20-2011, 03:30 AM
Playground Fading isn't worse than Sense of Purpose. Why not include both? :tp:

Read the last option given...

:D

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Also, Nostradamus should be nowhere near this list.

MPF
06-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Also, Nostradamus should be nowhere near this list.

You've heard Nostradamus right?

:D

300%_Density
06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Damn. We got to the 3rd page and no mention of Cold Lake from Celtic Frost? I figured that'd make the list easily.

illuminatus917
06-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Damn. We got to the 3rd page and no mention of Cold Lake from Celtic Frost? I figured that'd make the list easily.

I thought we were sticking to recent times.

If we are talking about big disappointments in recent times, one that was a major disappointment for me, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, was We Are The Void by Dark Tranquillity. I thought that album was a terrible letdown following up Fiction.

Also, Dissection's Reinkaos. Goddamn that was a fucking disappointment.

MPF
06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I thought we were sticking to recent times.

If we are talking about big disappointments in recent times, one that was a major disappointment for me, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, was We Are The Void by Dark Tranquillity. I thought that album was a terrible letdown following up Fiction.

Also, Dissection's Reinkaos. Goddamn that was a fucking disappointment.

I totally forgot about We Are The Void, I only liked the Fatalist. It's very rare for me to say that the only good song on an album is the single.

illuminatus917
06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
I totally forgot about We Are The Void, I only liked the Fatalist. It's very rare for me to say that the only good song on an album is the single.

I didn't get a Dark Tranquillity vibe from it. Heaviness was quickly dismantled by keyboards. It seemed too radio-friendly.

That and lazy songwriting.

mankvill
06-22-2011, 12:18 AM
DEFINITELY not Morbid Angel. It's not really a sellout record a la Saint Anger or The Unspoken King, because the type of music they experimented with...well, it isn't really that popular anymore. Is it a good record? I guess that depends mostly on if you are familiar at all with Morbid Angel (or not, I haven't listened to it all the way through yet :hecho: )

I definitely don't think a band that experiments with their sound and then has an album no one really necessarily means that's a "bad" album, unless you can judge that album separately from the rest of the band's discography. And in that respect, I find The Unspoken King unfathomably more offensive than St. Anger ever was.

But honestly? If I'm going to choose a band for putting out a bad album that isn't trendy (AKA I'm not going to pick Attack Attack, Asking Alexandria, etc.) and does nothing to advance themselves as musicians, I have got to put Whitechapel up.

300%_Density
06-22-2011, 02:23 AM
I'll resend my CF vote then. I guess it did say recent times. The English language has apparently thrown me a curveball yet again.

jhdeity
06-22-2011, 12:13 PM
OTHER: Black Label Society - The Song Remains Not The Same is teh worst piece of shit I've heard in 10 years.

kommie
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
We Are The Void by Dark Tranquillity. I thought that album was a terrible letdown following up Fiction.

I thought that CD was horrible too, but I thought I was alone in that regard.

MPF
06-22-2011, 01:32 PM
OTHER: Black Label Society - The Song Remains Not The Same is teh worst piece of shit I've heard in 10 years.

I haven't heard this for the reason you just gave, but isn't this technically a acoustic remix album?

jhdeity
06-23-2011, 01:25 PM
I haven't heard this for the reason you just gave, but isn't this technically a acoustic remix album?

Yeah and some new covers. Technically it's not a new release but it's a full length album. I actually like all the songs he covered but he murdered every one. This entire cd is unlistenable.

John The Drummer
06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Is St. Anger even considered an album? I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with that, it sounded like my crappy High School bands demo CD... just not as good.

At least the new Morbid Angel had some moments that make you laugh and facepalm, St. Anger just.... just no.

hellawaits77ny
06-25-2011, 01:01 AM
I respect everyone's opinion, but I don't understand how so many think St Anger is worse than the rest of these abortions.

300%_Density
06-25-2011, 01:24 AM
I respect everyone's opinion, but I don't understand how so many think St Anger is worse than the rest of these abortions.

At this point I think it's the "in" thing to do.

jhdeity
06-25-2011, 07:57 AM
If I have to vote just off this list, it's a no-brainer. The new Queensryche is a Godawful piece of shit that sounds like a Jonas Brothers album. Has anyone heard this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1JWWOL-opI

I'd take Frantic by itself over this entire piece of shit album. As bad as the drums sound is on St. Anger at least it has guitars on it.

adamclark52
06-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I got to hear the new Morbid Angel last night. While I can see why purists are shitting all over it I have to admit that I like it. I'm a bit more open minded than some people. The only song I truly hated was the second to last song Radikult or whatever.

People should be used to disappointment from Morbid Angel by this point. Everyone hated Formulas Fatal to the Flesh when it came out (probably my favorite MA album), then there was Heritic which was by far way worst than the new one, then there's the new one.

BloodoftheKings
06-26-2011, 07:24 PM
The only song I truly hated was the second to last song Radikult or whatever.

how dare you

adamclark52
06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
how dare you

Hate's a strong word, but I won't be putting that one on my iPod.

christopher
06-30-2011, 06:23 PM
This is pretty funny

http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=107990&show=25&start=0

llama lom
07-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I've never listened to any of those albums, and there's a probably good reasoning behind that.

MPF
07-02-2011, 10:15 PM
This is pretty funny

I read Dirt at number 8, I closed the tab.

I've never listened to any of those albums, and there's a probably good reasoning behind that.

You've never heard Alice In Chain's Dirt? You are missing out on possibly the greatest album made in the 90s.

OraclesofAgony
07-02-2011, 11:41 PM

Yeah that's a pure BS pick.

llama lom
07-03-2011, 08:23 AM
You've never heard Alice In Chain's Dirt? You are missing out on possibly the greatest album made in the 90s.

Oh I didn't notice someone posted the link. I was talking about the albums in the poll.

es156
07-03-2011, 05:29 PM
This is pretty funny

There are actually some great discs on that list. Some of the bands listed are obviously not even remotely metal (Billy Squier?). Manks will love seeing Andrew WK at number 10 with this quote: "It's Danzig for jocks and fratboys"

:lol:

Edit: I love how he lists every single Krokus disc, ha ha. Too funny.

hellawaits77ny
07-04-2011, 12:21 AM

Same here

Triggz
07-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Although obvious statement is obvious and has been made multiple times in different ways, I feel the need to further reinforce it.

Dirt is one of the greatest albums ever produced.

HandOfDoom
07-04-2011, 06:38 AM

For shame, no AIC release belongs anywhere near a "worst of list".

metallicbrian666
07-04-2011, 08:25 AM
For the poll, I'd have to say either The Unspoken King or Illud Divinum Insanus, solely because (as someone said before) no one really expected Metallica to have some awesome comeback record, and they needed to make it so they wouldn't split up. Illud was the "return of David Vincent" and Unspoken was essentially a cover band ruining Cryptopsy's good name. I guess the same argument can be made for Sounds Of A Playground fading, but I'd much rather listen to radio bullshit than awful deathcore with awesome drumming.

jhdeity
07-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Although obvious statement is obvious and has been made multiple times in different ways, I feel the need to further reinforce it.

Dirt is one of the greatest albums ever produced.

Yep

Dissimulate
07-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Looking at it in terms of the worst album, not the most disappointing album or the biggest letdown, I would have to say The Unspoken King is tied with St. Anger. There are literally no redeeming qualities to either of them in my opinion. Going beyond the poll, I would say that everything I've heard from every nth generation derivatives of whatever-core that have trended recently, with the exception of a few of the more technical deathcore bands, is on the same level of total worthlessness.

JRA
01-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Why is Relentless Reckless Forever here? At worst it's a paint by numbers Bodom album. Are You Dead Yet is arguably worse because of it's pandering mallcore tendencies.

scream4icecream
01-15-2012, 01:52 AM
The correct answer is St. Anger

Epidemic Reign
01-15-2012, 01:55 AM
Why is Relentless Reckless Forever here? At worst it's a paint by numbers Bodom album. Are You Dead Yet is arguably worse because of it's pandering mallcore tendencies.

Replace "arguably" with "undoubtedly" and I'm right on board with you ;)

MetalIsArt
01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
What's wrong with Halford's Made Of Metal? :eyes::confused:

MetalIsArt
01-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Haha, good point.

illninoese
02-13-2012, 10:02 AM

I was wondering the same thing. RRF was just a lazy Bodom album with some decent songs. AYDY? is in an entirely different class of disappointment.

ravenheart
02-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Lol, completely missed this at the time, but this is laughably wrong.

MetalIsArt
02-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Lol, completely missed this at the time, but this is laughably wrong.

Teh duder not kno many music :D

But it has accoustic guitars, so it can't be Methul or Hardrock. :bouville: