PDA

View Full Version : New Suicide Silence Album - "The Black Crown" July 13th

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
KORN singer Jonathan Davis and SUFFOCATION frontman Frank Mullen will make guest appearances on "The Black Crown", the new album from California deathcore masters SUICIDE SILENCE. The CD was recorded with heavyweight producer Steve Evetts (THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, EVERY TIME I DIE, HATEBREED) and will be released on July 12 via Century Media Records.

"The Black Crown" track listing:

01. Slaves To Substance
02. O.C.D.
03. Human Violence
04. You Only Live Once
05. Fuck Everything
06. March To The Black Crown
07. Witness The Addiction (feat. Jonathan Davis)
08. Cross-Eyed Catastrophe
09. Smashed (feat. Frank Mullen)
10. The Only Thing That Sets Us Apart
11. Cancerous Skies

SUICIDE SILENCE began filming a video for the song "You Only Live Once" on Sunday, June 5. Vocalist Mitch Lucker commented, "This music video is going to be fucking insane!"

The cover artwork for "The Black Crown" was created by the Delaware-based freelance graphic designer and illustrator Ken "K3N" Adams, who has previously worked with LAMB OF GOD.

"'The Black Crown' is our most mature, well-produced, and well-written record as a band," Lucker told AOL's Noisecreep. "People should come see us play songs from it live on [this summer's Rockstar Energy Drink] Mayhem [Festival] this summer, or buy it when it comes out!"

Lucker also revealed that "The Black Crown" will be SUICIDE SILENCE's third and final release for longtime label Century Media Records. Lucker noted that the band will be free agents after the release of this album.

Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159078

kommie
06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
I wonder how many people will forget Suffocation ever existed after this.

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 08:43 AM
I wonder how many people will forget Suffocation ever existed after this.

I'm won't be surprised if Davis' appearance goes without consequence, especially after 'Get Up' with Skrillex, but Frank will definitely get backlash for this. Nobody plays with one of deathcore's most hyped bands and gets away with it.

masterguy49
06-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Hearing the new songs, they are some of the worst songs they've ever made.
And this is coming from the guy who tolerated their past 2 albums well. :eyes:

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 08:55 AM
And this is coming from the guy who tolerated their past 2 albums well. :eyes:

Well, Mitch Lucker says differently:

"'The Black Crown' is our most mature, well-produced, and well-written record as a band."

The only experience I have with Suicide Silence is a really, really bad show (my worst, actually) and a few listens of their 'hits'. It's all chug-chug-chug deathcore - the kind I don't like. I'll listen to After the Burial, All Shall Perish, Despised Icon, and even Bring Me The Horizon with pleasure, but Suicide Silence is just generic, boring, primitive deathcore. It's embarassing to metal. Some here will argue that because they're shit, I shouldn't have posted this, but either way, whether we like them or not, they're metal, so it's relevant.

masterguy49
06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, Mitch Lucker says differently:

The only experience I have with Suicide Silence is a really, really bad show (my worst, actually) and a few listens of their 'hits'. It's all chug-chug-chug deathcore - the kind I don't like. I'll listen to After the Burial, All Shall Perish, Despised Icon, and even Bring Me The Horizon with pleasure, but Suicide Silence is just generic, boring, primitive deathcore. It's embarassing to metal. Some here will argue that because they're shit, I shouldn't have posted this, but either way, whether we like them or not, they're metal, so it's relevant.
I guess I'm one of the people that just doesn't see what's so awful about Suicide Silence live. I mean they weren't great, but they didnt suck. I've seen much worse. I guess I don't mind Deathcore as much people do. They are generic and primitive Deathcore, but the only embarrassing part is most of their disturbingly large fan base is filled with kids who think Suicide Silence is the best band of the past 10 years. Sadly, those are most of the "metal heads" around where I live, all deathcore fanatics.

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
I guess I'm one of the people that just doesn't see what's so awful about Suicide Silence live. I mean they weren't great, but they didnt suck. I've seen much worse. I guess I don't mind Deathcore as much people do. They are generic and primitive Deathcore, but the only embarrassing part is most of their disturbingly large fan base is filled with kids who think Suicide Silence is the best band of the past 10 years. Sadly, those are most of the "metal heads" around where I live, all deathcore fanatics.

The Moscow metal scene almost never overlaps unless it's an obvious scenario like metalcore-kids showing up at deathcore shows, vice versa. In a way, it makes the live experience better for the true fans, but you could also say that it's a bit close-minded of the scene too.

When I saw them, it was all bad. The band, the crowd, the sound, the vibe, the support. :hecho: I mean, I paid for my ticket that show (reluctantly). I gave them a chance, and they blew it. If they would've played a good show for me, I would've listened to them at home and who knows what would've gone on from that point on, but they fucking blew it. Plain and simple.

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
During their cover of Engine No. 9, somebody from the front rows pulled Lucker into the crowd, and Lucker spit in his face as soon as he got back up. :eyes:

masterguy49
06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
The Moscow metal scene almost never overlaps unless it's an obvious scenario like metalcore-kids showing up at deathcore shows, vice versa. In a way, it makes the live experience better for the true fans, but you could also say that it's a bit close-minded of the scene too.

When I saw them, it was all bad. The band, the crowd, the sound, the vibe, the support. :hecho: I mean, I paid for my ticket that show (reluctantly). I gave them a chance, and they blew it. If they would've played a good show for me, I would've listened to them at home and who knows what would've gone on from that point on, but they fucking blew it. Plain and simple.
Ah I know the feeling. I feel the way with Black Tide. I don't care if their old stuff or new stuff is good. I saw them live and it was one of the worst experiences either.

During their cover of Engine No. 9, somebody from the front rows pulled Lucker into the crowd, and Lucker spit in his face as soon as he got back up. :eyes:

1. I can't stand that cover. Deftones is one of my favorite bands and that cover pisses me off
2. Mitch seems nice in interviews and videos and stuff but when I met him he seemed like a dick.

daimonos
06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
FRANK THE TANK WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Ah I know the feeling. I feel the way with Black Tide. I don't care if their old stuff or new stuff is good. I saw them live and it was one of the worst experiences ever.

Black Tide sucked for me too (at the Maiden Tampa show). Sounded like a generic Avenged Sevenfold rip-off.

masterguy49
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Black Tide sucked for me too (at the Maiden Tampa show). Sounded like a generic Avenged Sevenfold rip-off.

Haha yeah. My experience was at the Maiden Ft. Lauderdale show ;)

AnataFan4Life
06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
As long as Frank doesn't bring any of that shit into Suffocation's music, I could care less.

Wizzbang11
06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I really hope Suffocation doesn't open for Suicide Silence on their next tour.

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
As long as Frank doesn't bring any of that shit into Suffocation's music, I could care less.

I definitely agree - Suffocation is more important to me than the shit Silence does, but it's still disappointing that Frank decided to waste his time with this.

illuminatus917
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Quite a statement.

masterguy49
06-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Quite a statement.
:lol: Yup! :D

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 10:51 AM

...I don't even

llama lom
06-17-2011, 11:01 AM

The possibility of that scares the shit out of me.

So far I'm mixed about the album. Human Violence sounds good but You Only Live Once sounds like shit. Hopefully Frank's track is good.

Shadowswillfall414
06-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Am I the only one who likes suicide silence?

illuminatus917
06-17-2011, 11:06 AM

I think JD likes them. ;)

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM

Yes. ;)

llama lom
06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I enjoy them, but more their first album.

treghet
06-17-2011, 11:16 AM

This.

And this.

jd091
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Ok gentlemen, if anyone should be critiquing this new album, it's me, the deathcore guy, since I'm a fan of their music, especially No Time To Bleed. I thought the production and songwriting were stellar for their genre of music.

That being said, I wonder how much of that was attributed to Machine being the producer for NTTB. Machine took their potential and made it great, just as he did to Lamb of God back in 2004. My thoughts:

1.) Musically, this has some potential. The one song I've heard so far was very "riffy" versus "chuggy", which I like. It had a solid solo in it too. If the rest of the album follows this model, it could be good.

2.) Man, those song titles are bad. Like, really bad. I don't like that direction they're taking. "Fuck Everything"? really? Any band that makes a song title with "fuck" in it just isn't creative.

3.) Frank Mullen appearance = fantastic. If deathcore bands should be paying tribute to anyone, it's bands like Suffocation and Dying Fetus. I'm sure it'll be solid. Whitechapel had an absolutely fantastic guest appearance from Chino Moreno on their last album; I'm all for guest stars.

4.) Production-wise, it's way too clean for their sound. I really enjoyed The Cleansing for what it was: dirty, garage-sounding, downtuned instruments being hit as hard as they can. I appreciated that muddiness in their music because it made them unique from other deathcore bands. And for what it was, they wrote great riffs. I know probably no one here will agree with me there, but I don't really care. I got into Suicide Silence back in the day before I
really knew what the whole deathcore scene was, and the negative connotations it held. I didn't know people dressed that way, were that young, and were so conceited. It was loud, fast, and low, an it had groove to it. I liked it.

Granted, The Cleansing was far from being a cohesive record. All the songs sounded really similar, weren't structured very well, and dragged on. There were way too many tracks on the record, too. NTTb kept that gritty, muddy sound, but improved the songwriting to condense the tunes. They didn't drag on, the riffs grabbed your face, and held it there for the right amount of time. It was catchy. It was also a notch louder than all the other metal on my iPod, production-wise. In other words, it was perfect brainless music for running with my iPod in.

In the end: will it be a bad record? Probably not. Will it be a good record? Probably not. The only truly excellent deathcore record I see coming out this year is the new All Shall Perish; they're looking really solid. As for Suicide Silence? It seems as if they've decided what they want their image to be, and aren't sticking to the sound I like from them. Meh.

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Any band that makes a song title with "fuck" in it just isn't creative.

I hope nobody beats me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FINPg7-w6yg

jd091
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
I hope nobody beats me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FINPg7-w6yg

Careful, you'll offend Manks and his second fav band! :lovedup:

brutal_descent
06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Careful, you'll offend Manks and his second fav band! :lovedup:

Don't worry Mank, you know I like them too!

masterguy49
06-17-2011, 06:30 PM
I agree with everything JD said. Haters gonna hate, but I like Deathcore as well. Not all of it, but pretty similar to JD's deathcore tastes.

jd091
06-18-2011, 08:30 AM
I agree with everything JD said. Haters gonna hate, but I like Deathcore as well. Not all of it, but pretty similar to JD's deathcore tastes.

Thanks. For me, the "good" deathcore bands are All Shall Perish, Acacia Strain, Whitechapel, EARLY Winds of Plague, and Suicide Silence. And The Red Chord and later Job For A Cowboy, but those really aren't deathcore. I could write pages on why it's those bands, but I won't right now ;)

Bands like Oceano, Carnifex, Chelsea Grin, Rose Funoral, I Declare War... very shitty and unoriginal.

brutal_descent
06-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks. For me, the "good" deathcore bands are All Shall Perish, Acacia Strain, Whitechapel, EARLY Winds of Plague, and Suicide Silence. And The Red Chord and later Job For A Cowboy, but those really aren't deathcore. I could write pages on why it's those bands, but I won't right now ;)

Bands like Oceano, Carnifex, Chelsea Grin, Rose Funoral, I Declare War... very shitty and unoriginal.

^ This.

I can't remember whether I've said this already on this thread, but I listen to quite a few deathcore bands, ones I consider "good" deathcore. I'm positive that I listed a few, so I won't begin listing them.

Thanks. For me, the "good" deathcore bands are All Shall Perish, and Acacia Strain.

Fixed. :hmm:

jd091
06-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Yeah, out of the "good" bands, I would agree that ASP and Acacia are the most musically proficient. Looking back nowadays, I'm pretty sure Acacia Strain is my favorite deathcore band.

brutal_descent
06-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah, out of the "good" bands, I would agree that ASP and Acacia are the most musically proficient. Looking back nowadays, I'm pretty sure Acacia Strain is my favorite deathcore band.

All Shall Perish is godly. I'm glad I'll be able to see both within one week - Acacia Strain at Warped Tour, and ASP at Mayhem Festival. :rocker:

masterguy49
06-18-2011, 10:17 AM

Yeah I completely agree with this. Even though I liked 2/3 songs off the new Winds of Plague album.... other than that though it was really disappointing cause their old stuff is my favorite Deathcore. But yeah all those bands you mentioned are good. Though I have seen both Suicide Silence and Whitechapel 3 times(including Mayhem 2011 and Summer Slaughter) and if I see them again I'm going to punch myself. Also I really love As Blood Runs Black's first album, one of my favorite deathcore albums. The one they released this year was a total disappointment.

Yeah all those bands are really shitty and not original. Have you heard Carnifex's cover of Angel of Death!? :flame: Don't even get me started. It sucks though cause my friends all like "good" deathcore but unfortunately love the shitty deathcore as well. I really wish I had people my age around me that listened to good music.

Also I'm seeing Acacia Strain and All Shall Perish for the first times this year :D

brutal_descent
06-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Yeah all those bands are really shitty and original.

wat? :eyes:

Also I'm seeing Acacia Strain and All Shall Perish for the first times this year :D

Me too! :party:

masterguy49
06-18-2011, 10:27 AM
wat? :eyes:

Woops, meant not original
:hecho:

jd091
06-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Man, fuck the new Winds of Plague album. There was not a single song I liked on it.

masterguy49
06-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Man, fuck the new Winds of Plague album. There was not a single song I liked on it.

I understand the hate. I just thought some of the songs where fun :tongue:

illuminatus917
06-18-2011, 12:15 PM
This thread makes my brain hurt.

jd091
06-18-2011, 12:15 PM
I understand the hate. I just thought some of the songs where fun :tongue:

"LOOK WHO'S BACK MOTHERFUCKER
WINDS OF PLAGE
STILL RUNNIN' SHIT
STILL ON TOP
HAILIN' FROM THE WEST COAST
THE MOTHERFUCKIN' BEST COAST
DROP IT NOOOOOOOW"

http://vsslaven.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/facepalm_picard_riker.jpg

masterguy49
06-18-2011, 01:30 PM
"LOOK WHO'S BACK MOTHERFUCKER
WINDS OF PLAGE
STILL RUNNIN' SHIT
STILL ON TOP
HAILIN' FROM THE WEST COAST
THE MOTHERFUCKIN' BEST COAST
DROP IT NOOOOOOOW"

http://vsslaven.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/facepalm_picard_riker.jpg
That song doesn't exist to me.
What are we even talking about. Those horridly stupid lyrics obviously don't exist.
:eyes:

brutal_descent
06-18-2011, 01:32 PM
That song doesn't exist to me.
What are we even talking about. Those horridly stupid lyrics obviously don't exist.
:eyes:

Quite funny that I coincidentally just heard California for the first time now on the Warped compilation :lol: