PDA

View Full Version : Hate Eternal -- Austin, TX -- June 15th, 2011

smearCampaign
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Venue: Emo's (inside)

Vital Remains
Icons Of Evil (w/ Where Is Your God Now intro)
Savior To None... Failure For All
Dechristanize (w/ Let The Killing Begin intro)
Hammer Down The Nails

Origin (incomplete, a bunch of songs from the new album)
Finite
The Burner
Antithesis
Portal

Hate Eternal (incomplete, not in order)
Haunting Abound
Bringer of Storms
Phoenix Amongst the Ashes
King of All Kings
Hatesworn
I, Monarch
Powers That Be

The death metal fans of Austin turned up and filled the indoor stage area of Emo's for the first night of this tour. We got into the venue while the Austin industrial metal veterans SKREW were closing with Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame. Abysmal Dawn were up next and while I am was not familiar with their material beforehand, they sounded really solid and I would have no problem seeing them as an opener again. Vital Remains played a fairly standard set list, but they sounded great. I would absolutely kill to see something from Let Us Pray sneak into their sets. We left the venue for a bit after Vital Remains and came back during Origin's last 4-6 songs. The pit was active throughout the night and people were stagediving and crowdsurfing from the small stage all night. Origin's frontman asked the crowd if they heard a new album that came out last week and then he said, "not our record, the new Morbid Angel bitches!" and started laughing and the crowd burst our laughing as well. I am not familiar with their new record, so you can assume that new tracks comprised most of their set. The crowd was definitely the largest and most intense during Origin and I was surprised when a fair amount of people left before Hate Eternal. Even though some of the crowd had dispersed, Erik Rutan and co.'s opening notes sent the hardcore fans straight to the pit. There was no doubt that Hate Eternal was bringing the heaviest and loudest sounds of the evening.

Abysmal Dawn had about 3 shirts for sale. Vital Remains had 4 shirts plus gym shorts and girl booty shorts as well as a DVD. Origin had the most merch; probably 8 shirts plus a work shirt, CDs and a custom glass pipe with 'Origin' in glass on it near the mouth piece end and devil horns around the bowl part for $30. Hate Eternal had maybe 5 or 6 shirts plus the limited edition vinyls of their most recent two albums.

Abysmal Dawn played about 30 minutes as did Vital Remains. Origin had about 45 minutes and Hate Eternal played about an hour. The show ended around 1:15 am.

mankvill
06-16-2011, 11:17 AM
:rocker:

jd091
06-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck I am excited for this tour! It's been a while since I've seen a death metal band live. This sounds unbelievably tits!

endless_pain
06-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm really looking foward to this show! Do you happen to remember how much the shirts and cds were going for?

John The Drummer
06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I love Vital Remains, but they really need to change their writing style (i.e.: Playing the song twice to make it longer)

Either way, i'm stoked, next Friday for Seattle!

NecroRob
06-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I love Vital Remains, but they really need to change their writing style (i.e.: Playing the song twice to make it longer)

This, all of it :party:

OraclesofAgony
06-16-2011, 04:46 PM

They need to change their set up a little bit too. They've been playing the same 5 or 6 songs for years.

I mean Dechristianize and Icons of Evil aren't going anywhere, but they should play some songs they don't normally play from Dechristianize and Icons of Evil with them. I would say they should play some old stuff but I don't think that will ever happen.

BTW, does anyone know who's playing lead for Vital on this tour? When I saw them on their small headlining tour last year they had the guitarist from one of their support bands playing lead for them.

smearCampaign
06-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm really looking foward to this show! Do you happen to remember how much the shirts and cds were going for?

I know the shirts for VR, Origin and Hate Eternal were all $20... I know that Hate Eternal's new CD was $12, Origin had a CD/DVD, but I'm not sure how much it was.

BTW, does anyone know who's playing lead for Vital on this tour? When I saw them on their small headlining tour last year they had the guitarist from one of their support bands playing lead for them.

I did not recognize the lead guitarist, it wasn't someone from the opening bands.

larvtard
06-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck I am excited for this tour! It's been a while since I've seen a death metal band live. This sounds unbelievably tits!

:lol: You and your whitechapel shows...

jd091
06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
:lol: You and your whitechapel shows...

:tp:

But really, last bands I've seen have been Converge, Trap Them, Rammstein, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Symphony X. The last "real" death metal show I saw was last fall for Nile. I guess Amon Amarth is technically death metal, but they don't have that same speed or brutalness of "real" death metal.

And yes, I had fun at the Whitechapel show. Fuck you too. :finger:

llama lom
06-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Holy fuck I need to go to this. I just hope my friend's graduation party won't conflict too much...........

jd091
06-16-2011, 07:12 PM
The real question for me is: What shirt should I get?

I always try and pick up a shirt from "good" metal concerts to remember the experience. But I think I like Hate Eternal, Origin, and Vital Remains all equally. :( I think I'll just pick up the coolest design there, or the official tour shirt.

mankvill
06-16-2011, 07:35 PM

I always try and pick up a shirt from "good" metal concerts to remember the experience. But I think I like Hate Eternal, Origin, and Vital Remains all equally. :( I think I'll just pick up the coolest design there, or the official tour shirt.

origin ^_^

smearCampaign
06-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Sadly, there was not an official tour shirt that I saw. All the bands had some cool designs.

orlandodavis
06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Same ol same ol Vital Remains setlist.::lame:

llama lom
06-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Go early and see if any of the bands are selling their own merch. I went to Summer Slaughter early last year and Tony Lazaro sold me a shirt. 'Twas awesome. :D

jd091
06-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Go early and see if any of the bands are selling their own merch. I went to Summer Slaughter early last year and Tony Lazaro sold me a shirt. 'Twas awesome. :D

Sweeeeet. I don't know how early I'll be able to show up since I got work, but we'll see.

smearCampaign
06-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Tony was selling the VR merch at this show. He's a super nice guy.

the chewbacca defense
06-22-2011, 09:40 PM
No Behold Judas?

OraclesofAgony
06-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Sweeeeet. I don't know how early I'll be able to show up since I got work, but we'll see.

Chances are Tony will be there, he was at the Vital merch booth at my show and I got a pic with him. I also met him the first time I saw saw them but it was a small bar so the whole band was basically hanging out around their booth. I met the new vocalist at that show too.

And Tony was also down at the Vital booth after Origin finished their set and Jason raced down to the Origin booth to start selling stuff. John was also at the Origin booth at the beginning of the show and I saw Mike hanging around the bar at one point, so the band members were very accessible.

I wish I could've met Erik though. I should've checked the merch booths after they finished their set to see if he was down there.

No Behold Judas?

That's not the full setlist, so they probably played it. They played it at the show I went to and all the European dates that were posted on setlist.fm

Bloodcurse
06-23-2011, 08:57 PM
I would say they should play some old stuff but I don't think that will ever happen.

The reason they dont play many older songs is because as soon as they get a solid line up TO learn them, someone quits..I've seen Vital 12 times, and the only old songs I've seen them do are:

Descent Into Hell and Forever Underground (twice)

Bloodcurse
06-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Tony was selling the VR merch at this show. He's a super nice guy.

He really is....I've been good friends with Tony for almost 10 years now!!

OraclesofAgony
06-23-2011, 09:10 PM
The reason they dont play many older songs is because as soon as they get a solid line up TO learn them, someone quits..I've seen Vital 12 times, and the only old songs I've seen them do are:

Yeah that makes sense. Do you know anything about the new lead guitarist? Is he just a fill-in for the tour or a new member?

Also, do you know anything about the supposed new album that Tony talked about in an interview last year? I'm asking since you seem to know a lot about the band and you're friends with Tony. I should've asked Tony these questions myself when I had the chance.

christopher
06-23-2011, 09:16 PM

I saw them in February of 2006 in Hollywood for the Murderfest, right before they did that tour with Deicide. Dave and Tim Yueng were still in the band but Glen wasn't doing vocals. I remember hearing a few older songs being played but I had no idea what ones. Do you think they were the ones you listed or possibly other ones?

Bloodcurse
06-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Yeah that makes sense. Do you know anything about the new lead guitarist? Is he just a fill-in for the tour or a new member?

Also, do you know anything about the supposed new album that Tony talked about in an interview last year? I'm asking since you seem to know a lot about the band and you're friends with Tony. I should've asked Tony these questions myself when I had the chance.

I'm not sure about the guitarist...he's probably just a live guy for now. I'm sure if he works out live tho, he'll move up.

As far as the new album, I know they have been writing it. That's as much as I know.

Bloodcurse
06-24-2011, 06:18 AM
I saw them in February of 2006 in Hollywood for the Murderfest, right before they did that tour with Deicide. Dave and Tim Yueng were still in the band but Glen wasn't doing vocals. I remember hearing a few older songs being played but I had no idea what ones. Do you think they were the ones you listed or possibly other ones?

Probably "Descent Into Hell". "Forever Underground" has only been played live twice since the 90s....back in 2008 I believe it was in NJ and PA...I was at both shows and bugged Tony to play them haha.

ravenheart
06-24-2011, 06:45 AM
:rocker:

You could have reviewed their new album ages ago... :tp:

mankvill
06-24-2011, 10:01 AM
You could have reviewed their new album ages ago... :tp:

*punch* I'm on a sabbatical!

illuminatus917
06-24-2011, 10:12 AM
*punch* I'm on a sabbatical!

You Jewish?

ravenheart
06-24-2011, 10:38 AM
You Jewish?

No, just lazy ;)

Natrlhi
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
:rocker:You could have reviewed their new album ages ago... :tp:*punch* I'm on a sabbatical!You Jewish?No, just lazy ;)If you're talking about Origin, gimme that shit!

ravenheart
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
We were actually talking about Hate Eternal, but I can get Origin.

Natrlhi
06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
We were actually talking about Hate Eternal, but I can get Origin.I figured, but do consider this my official offer to work on Origin if you want that one done. I know I'm behind on Red Fang, but I was planning on getting to that this weekend. My schedule has finally freed up some. Plus, Mankvill wouldn't be an objective reviewer anyway since Origin is from Kansas and he clearly has their collective love muscle so far down his throat you can see it coming out of his ass. :D

mankvill
06-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I figured, but do consider this my official offer to work on Origin if you want that one done. I know I'm behind on Red Fang, but I was planning on getting to that this weekend. My schedule has finally freed up some. Plus, Mankvill wouldn't be an objective reviewer anyway since Origin is from Kansas and he clearly has their collective love muscle so far down his throat you can see it coming out of his ass. :D

It's true.

jd091
06-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Mankvill wouldn't be an objective reviewer anyway since Origin is from Kansas and he clearly has their collective love muscle so far down his throat you can see it coming out of his ass. :D

Probably one of the top 5 things I've ever read on this site. That was beautiful.