PDA

View Full Version : New Iced Earth Album Title - "Dystopia"

brutal_descent
06-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Hello gang!

Just a quick update for you from the road. We had a great weekend playing at Sweden Rock Friday and the Rock Hard festival in Germany on Saturday. The band’s having a lot of fun, and today we begin rehearsing the new songs for the forthcoming CD, titled “Dystopia.” We begin master tracking in Florida in 2 weeks and will be traveling between Europe and the US this summer to play festivals and finish the new album. I can honestly say that I haven’t had this many songs give me goose bumps since we recorded Something Wicked This Way Comes, way back in 1998, so this is also very exciting.

As you can imagine, it’s a very busy time for us. I think we’re all having emotional ups and downs as we’re coming to the end of an era with Matt’s retirement, and we’re also very excited about the future with Stu coming onboard, so it’s a little bit of a roller coaster ride for us. However, we are having a killer time, and Matt is performing at his absolute best and going out with pure class and style, which is always the way he rolls.

We also had a great time hanging out with the guys in Down last night at the Rock Hard festival. Freddie and my manager joined them onstage for a nice jam at the end of the show. It was brilliant and a lot of fun.

We’ll be keeping you posted on updates as things move along through the summer.

Best to you all!!

Jon

Indestructible
06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Looking forward to it. Stu Block is a great vocalist so I'm looking forward to how he sounds with Iced Earth. Maybe they will be able to keep him around for a long time.

maidenpriest
06-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Will give it a listen, not much expectation for it though.

daimonos
06-13-2011, 11:29 AM
where the hell did Matt Barlow go?!?

moobys37
06-13-2011, 11:32 AM

He's retiring again.

daimonos
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
He's retiring again.

Ah. Well then...

SomewhereInTime72
06-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I find myself no longer able to care.

MPF
06-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I'll be listening and buy for sure. Iced Earth is a band I won't give up on unless I really hear them fuck up. They got close but not there yet. We'll see what happens with the new album.

JuuKun
06-13-2011, 01:00 PM
I'll check it out when it's released, but I'm not holding my breath. Block's a pretty good vocalist, so I'm interested in where this will go. Haven't given up faith on IE, but I don't expect to be particularly blown away either.

ravenheart
06-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Lol, dude. Old news.

I'm disappointed he's not recording the vocals for the new album before Block takes over though.

He was awesome on Friday. Does not look or sound like a man who should be retiring at all.

El Gordo
06-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Lol, dude. Old news.

I'm disappointed he's not recording the vocals for the new album before Block takes over though.

He was awesome on Friday. Does not look or sound like a man who should be retiring at all.

This. I haven't been interested in IE at all since Horror Show, but that guy's got some killer fucking pipes. Dude can wail, it's a shame.

ChildrenofSodom
06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
The album title makes me believe its going to have political undertones. The wrong kind.

Sanitarium78
06-14-2011, 06:58 AM
The album title makes me believe its going to have political undertones. The wrong kind.

I hope he doesn't turn IE into that. I thought that's what Jon had Sons Of Liberty for?

Indestructible
06-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Jon might write a few political songs with Iced Earth but I think the majority of the politics will stay in Sons Of Liberty. I think a political album would sound better if he were to do one with Iced Earth. Iced Earth with political lyrics and Stu Blocks vocals would be one great album. I'm looking forward to this album regardless of the lyrics he writes. I want to hear how Stu Block sounds with them, it will be interesting here how Stu pulls off the other Iced Earth material. He's a good vocalist so it shouldn't be a problem.

ChildrenofSodom
06-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Stu is Canadian....can he be convinced to sing stupid lyrics about a New World Order and Obamacare?

Indestructible
06-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Stu is Canadian....can he be convinced to sing stupid lyrics about a New World Order and Obamacare?

If he lives here and believes there is a problem then yes.

Sanitarium78
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Jon needs Iced Earth stick with the darker song topics that he's always written about. If he turns them into another version of SOL he risks losing a lot of fans, even more than the frequent changing of singers probably does.

ravenheart
06-14-2011, 03:53 PM

In music, is there a right kind?

Indestructible
06-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Jon needs Iced Earth stick with the darker song topics that he's always written about. If he turns them into another version of SOL he risks losing a lot of fans, even more than the frequent changing of singers probably does.

I don't think he'll turn them into SOL, but Jon does go political Im sure he won't have a probably combining it with Iced Earths dark theme. If they do lose fans it probably won't be many, alot of people love metal bands with political lyrics whether they agree or disagree with them.

Maiden33
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Political bullshit will just be another reason for me to not like this. It's not off to a great start being that I really didn't care for their last record and I hate Stu Block in Into Eternity. This is one of those bands that as the years pass I start to wonder more and more how I ever liked them as much as I used to.

Sanitarium78
06-14-2011, 04:08 PM
This is one of those bands that as the years pass I start to wonder more and more how I ever liked them as much as I used to.

Whenever I listen to NOTSR and Burnt Offerings it reminds me why.

Indestructible
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Political or not I'm excited for this Matt Barlow or no Matt Barlow I'm looking forward to it at least they got a new guy who is just as good as Matt.

Maiden33
06-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Political or not I'm excited for this Matt Barlow or no Matt Barlow I'm looking forward to it at least they got a new guy who is just as good as Matt.

BRB, lol'ing myself to death.

Indestructible
06-27-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm probably the only one here who cares about Sons Of Liberty. But this Sons Of Liberty news is good for Iced Earth fans who are hoping Jon keeps the politics out of Iced Earth.

‎6/23/11 - Jon Schaffer Announces New Sons of Liberty Release
Jon Schaffer revealed he will release a 5-song Sons of Liberty EP in early December.
Tentatively titled Molon Labe (Greek for "come and get it"), the EP will feature these tracks:

Alive
Spirit of the Times
Molon Labe
Mind Control
Full Spectrum Dominance
According to Schaffer, the writing and recording sessions for the new Iced Earth album were so fruitful that he was able to write and will soon record five non-Iced Earth songs, all of which will appear on the new Sons of Liberty EP.

"I would have loved to have done a full-length Sons of Liberty album," Schaffer said. "But Iced Earth takes precedence and likely will for at least the next year of recording, mixing, and then criss-crossing the globe on our 2011-2012 World Tour."

The format for Molon Labe has not been decided. It may be a physical CD available via mail-order only. Or it may be a digital download. Or both.

For more information, "Like" the official Sons of Liberty Facebook page and/or return often to this web site.

Indestructible
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Studio Report From Jon: "I'm Very Happy"

Hello Friends,

All is well here as we are pushing forward with master tracking the new album "Dystopia."

We have finished drums and rhythm guitars and are right on schedule. I'll be heading to Europe tomorrow for a few festival dates and then right back to work in the studio on Monday. Jim Morris and I are having a great time, as usual, and are very much looking forward to starting vocal tracks with "Stucifer" next week!

Stu Block has contributed a lot to the vocal parts on this record, with co-writing credits on 10 out of 12 songs, and I'm very happy with our chemistry and what we've accomplished together so far. And we're just getting started.

Here are a few titles for you to ponder...

Dystopia
Anthem
Days of Rage
Soylent Green
V
Boiling Point
Tragedy and Triumph
Anguish of Youth
Iron Will

Just a little update for you guys. It's a crazy-busy summer. But I'll try to update you as often as I can!

Take care,

Jon

brutal_descent
07-25-2011, 05:50 PM
From Iced Earth's Facebook wall:

I hope to share news about Dystopia tomorrow...including cover art, release dates, and the inspiration behind the themes on the album!

ravenheart
07-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Cover:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/Metaltim/May%202011/IE-DystopiaLowRes.jpg

Songs (not final order):
'Dystopia'
'Anthem'
'Days Of Rage'
'Soylent Green'
'V'
'Boiling Point'
'Anguish Of Youth'
'Iron Will'
'Dark City'
'End Of Innocence'
'Equilibrium'
'Tragedy And Triumph'

There will also be two bonus tracks on the special edition.

Release dates are October 17 (UK) and October 18 (US), which probably means either October 14 or October 21 in Europe.

Indestructible
08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
More info on the new album.

Although Dystopia, Iced Earth’s 10th studio offering, is not a concept album, founder Jon Schaffer admits there are unifying themes to several of the songs – and even an appearance by band mascot “Set Abominae.”

“I’ve always been fascinated by the darker side of life,” Schaffer said during a break from master tracking Iced Earth’s forthcoming album. “Movies like Metropolis, Brazil, and The Matrixresonate with me. The same for albums like 2112, The Wall, and of course Operation:Mindcrime. Their images of a soulless, repressive society stuck with me over the years. It must be the sci-fi fan in me.”

In much the same way Horror Show (Iced Earth’s tribute to classic characters from literature and movies) was born, Schaffer said his interest in dystopian themes in music and movies led him to try his hand at that genre as well – even paying homage on the new album to the movies Dark City, V For Vendetta, and Soylent Green. The end result is Iced Earth meets the nightmarish offspring of Brave New Worldand Blade Runner.

Of special interest to long-time fans are two songs on Dystopia (the title track and “Tragedy and Triumph”) that feature the return of the “Something Wicked” storyline and “Set Abominae” – who, when last seen in The Crucible of Man [2008], had taken his position as ruler of the world.

“The opening song is a step back timeline-wise from the ‘Come What May’ track,” said Schaffer. “‘Come What May’ [the last track on Crucible] sets the scenario that it’s up to us and the decisions we make that will determine the future of the human race. These two songs [on Dystopia] take place at a time when people are in highly controlled prison-like city states, and their eventual emancipation in the closer, ‘Tragedy and Triumph’.”

In an uncanny case of art imitating life, Schaffer said Set Abominae fit perfectly with the general theme of Dystopia.

“I remember it hit me like a ton of bricks in ’97, the whole Something Wicked story did,” Schaffer said. “I thought, ‘Man, this is going to be so cool.’ Many years later, we were on tour for Crucibleand we were doing an interview over in Eastern Europe. A buddy of mine said, ‘You know, Jon, this whole Something Wicked thing could be true.’ I thought about it a moment and said, ‘Well, I don’t know about that. But there are some creepy parallels in contemporary life.’”

“So as I was thinking about all of the great movies, albums, and books with dystopian themes, I remembered that conversation and it occurred to me that the Something Wicked story could continue in a few tracks here very nicely,” Schaffer said.

Schaffer admits the recording of Dystopiahas been especially challenging because of the band’s summer festival gigs requiring him to criss-cross the ocean numerous times.

Despite the challenges, Schaffer says working with new vocalist Stu Block is “a pleasure.”

“You just can’t ask for a better attitude,” said Schaffer. “Stu is so excited to be here. He brings a youthful exuberance to the band, which is a lot of fun. And he’s a real dude. He’s down to earth, and willing to try anything that Jim [Morris, co-producer, engineer] or I throw at him. He’s stepping into the shoes in a very natural way.”

Schaffer continues: “We’re opening up a part of his voice and a style of singing that he didn’t even really know he had. We’re exploring this whole new range. And we’re just getting started. I believe Stu will continue to grow – and has the potential to grow – into one of the greats, one of the guys that will go down in metal history. If he stays on this course, with the attitude that he has, his willingness to learn, and his passion, he’s destined for really great things. I firmly believe that.”

Song Titles on Dystopia:

■Dystopia
■Anthem
■Days of Rage
■Soylent Green
■V
■Boiling Point
■Anguish of Youth
■Iron Will
■Dark City
■End of Innocence
■Equilibrium
■Tragedy and Triumph
Dystopiais scheduled for release in Europe on October 17th, and in the U.S. on October 18th both via Century Media. Two bonus tracks are also being recording for inclusion on special editions of the album.
The release of Dystopiawill be followed by the most extensive world tour Iced Earth has ever undertaken.

The European leg of the 2011-2012 World Dystopia Tour has been posted on the band’s official web site, and all official social-media sites. The tour begins October 30th in Bochum, Germany.

makethemsuffer12
10-04-2011, 08:37 AM
For those of us who aren't Ravenheart, samples are up on iTunes.

Epidemic Reign
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Listening to iTunes samples now...

HOLY SHIT. Stu sounds amazing.

This is probably going to be the first album I buy a physical copy of in almost two years :lol:

zerkz
10-04-2011, 11:00 AM
if Stu can pull it off.....

Iced Earth / Into Eternity tour? EHHHH?? EHHHHH???

Epidemic Reign
10-04-2011, 11:05 AM
if Stu can pull it off.....

Iced Earth / Into Eternity tour? EHHHH?? EHHHHH???

Nah, Jon would never agree to his new vocalist putting that much strain on his voice every night.

Besides, I think Stu is more than likely going to be announcing his departure from Into Eternity pretty soon.

MPF
10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Nah, Jon would never agree to his new vocalist putting that much strain on his voice every night.

Besides, I think Stu is more than likely going to be announcing his departure from Into Eternity pretty soon.

He is done with Into Eternity. He's waiting on them to find a new vocalist before they make things official.

darkguardian50
10-11-2011, 06:17 AM
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-iced-earth-debut-new-song-dystopia.html

This is more like it! This sounds like one of the best songs they have put out since Glorious Burden. Stu sounds absolutely terrific, and actually some decent lead guitar for once.

ravenheart
10-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty cool track, but not my favourite on the album.

ravenheart
10-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Already has done, thought not in any kind of official way.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/under-no-illusion-an-interview-with-iced-earth-part-2/

Second paragraph after the photo.

ChildrenofSodom
10-11-2011, 12:10 PM
So, someone want to tell me where I can hear the whole album....

ravenheart
10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
So, someone want to tell me where I can hear the whole album....

No idea.

ravenheart
10-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Just booked a trip to see a second show on the Dystopia tour. Can't wait for back-to-back Iced Earth shows in November :D

brutal_descent
10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Just booked a trip to see a second show on the Dystopia tour. Can't wait for back-to-back Iced Earth shows in November :D

Where's the second show going to be for you?

ravenheart
10-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Where's the second show going to be for you?

Birmingham. The day after London.

I would have done the whole UK tour and gone to Bristol the next day, but Fulham are at home to Spurs.

DethMaiden
10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Go Spurs! Tottenham pride!

ravenheart
10-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Go Spurs! Tottenham pride!

Pipe down with your tenuous link to the team ;)

brutal_descent
10-12-2011, 08:57 AM
I can't wait to see them in Moscow :drool:

DethMaiden
10-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Pipe down with your tenuous link to the team ;)

At least I have a link to any team now. :lol: Not that I watch a lot of EPL, but until this summer I literally had zero rooting interest.

ravenheart
10-12-2011, 02:29 PM
until this summer I literally had zero rooting interest.

I think if we're honest, you still should :lol:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-iced-earth-debut-new-song-dystopia.html

The high vocals remind me of 3 inches of Blood. The song's ok.

ravenheart
10-15-2011, 03:08 AM
"Given the overwhelming response we had to the 'Stop Being A Pussy' poster featured in the behind-the-scenes video clip, we're thinking about making this a product for sale. Question: What would you like to see that now-famous image on? A poster? A sticker? Something else? Tell us what YOU would like and we'll try to make it happen in time for the upcoming tour."

Seriously, if they put that on the tour shirts, there's no way I'm buying one.

Epidemic Reign
10-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Seriously, if they put that on the tour shirts, there's no way I'm buying one.

STOP BEING A PUSSY.

ravenheart
10-15-2011, 08:13 AM
STOP BEING A PUSSY.

Perfectly reasonable phrase though it is (I use it all the time :lol:), anyone who wears a t-shirt with it on is an idiot who's trying too hard.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Um...:eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxAf-Mfuu_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-rqkJxx-Ro

Epidemic Reign
10-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Um...:eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxAf-Mfuu_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-rqkJxx-Ro

:lol:

darkguardian50
10-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Ok quick impressions. I'll do a full review in the review area at a later point.

Dystopia-Awesome song, Stu shows alot of different shades to his voice here. Riffing is good, but it lacks any of those standpoint riffs you expect from Schaffer 8/10

Anthem-Solid but unremarkable. Stu sounds alot like Matt here. 6/10

Boiling Point-Awesome song again, much like Dystopia this track rips along, great vocals. 8/10

Anguish of Youth-Ugh, this is just downright embarassing. Stu sounds uncomfortable, and the song is just boring as hell. 3/10

V-This song rocks. Love the riffing, love the vocals. 9/10

Dark City-Awesome vocals here, the slight rasp to his upper register reminds me of TIOB and very slightly of Death's final album. Riff is simple but I like it quite alot. Rather nifty solo, somewhat different from the typical Iced Earth. Last 2 minutes is awesome and very very Maidenesque. 9/10

Equilibrium-Boring for the first half, and not much of a hook to save it unlike Anthem. Still it picks up alot halfway through. Stu's vocal's save this one in addition to some cool riffing at about the halfway point. 6/10

Days of Rage-Pretty good, its a little silly if I'm being honest but the riffing is tight and Stu puts in a great venomous performance here. 7/10

End of Innocence-Pretty terrible. Stu sounds awful here. This is really where you feel the loss of Matt, he did a great job with ballads. And whats funny is I think if Matt had done this song, it would have been pretty good cause the chorus is decent. 3/10

Tragedy and Triumph-Typically final tracks on Iced Earth albums are great. Not really so here. Boring, overlong, and derivative. A big disappointment. Even the killer riff at about the halfway point can't save this one. 4/10

Mob Rules-Stu doesn't really sounds much like Dio, but this isn't a bad cover.
6/10

ravenheart
10-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Ok quick impressions. I'll do a full review in the review area at a later point.

Dystopia-Awesome song, Stu shows alot of different shades to his voice here. Riffing is good, but it lacks any of those standpoint riffs you expect from Schaffer 8/10

Anthem-Solid but unremarkable. Stu sounds alot like Matt here. 6/10

Boiling Point-Awesome song again, much like Dystopia this track rips along, great vocals. 8/10

Anguish of Youth-Ugh, this is just downright embarassing. Stu sounds uncomfortable, and the song is just boring as hell. 3/10

V-This song rocks. Love the riffing, love the vocals. 9/10

Dark City-Awesome vocals here, the slight rasp to his upper register reminds me of TIOB and very slightly of Death's final album. Riff is simple but I like it quite alot. Rather nifty solo, somewhat different from the typical Iced Earth. Last 2 minutes is awesome and very very Maidenesque. 9/10

Equilibrium-Boring for the first half, and not much of a hook to save it unlike Anthem. Still it picks up alot halfway through. Stu's vocal's save this one in addition to some cool riffing at about the halfway point. 6/10

Days of Rage-Pretty good, its a little silly if I'm being honest but the riffing is tight and Stu puts in a great venomous performance here. 7/10

End of Innocence-Pretty terrible. Stu sounds awful here. This is really where you feel the loss of Matt, he did a great job with ballads. And whats funny is I think if Matt had done this song, it would have been pretty good cause the chorus is decent. 3/10

Tragedy and Triumph-Typically final tracks on Iced Earth albums are great. Not really so here. Boring, overlong, and derivative. A big disappointment. Even the killer riff at about the halfway point can't save this one. 4/10

Mob Rules-Stu doesn't really sounds much like Dio, but this isn't a bad cover.
6/10

:lol: Basically the exact opposite to me. I think Boiling Point is the worst song there, and the highlights are the ones which aren't typical Iced Earth, like End of Innocence and Anguish of Youth, which have easily the best choruses on the disc. Also, although by no means my favourite, not sure how 'Tragedy And Triumph' can be "derivitive" when it's different to anything IE have ever done. Even Jon highlighted that one as something new for IE.

The Mob Rules cover is interesting. Our bonus tracks are originals, not covers...

darkguardian50
10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I'll have to look around for the others.

Tragedy and Triumph is the same boring midtempo riffing for about 60% of the song, the opening sounds extremely similar to Gettysburg: The High Water Mark. I don't see anything original about it at all.

The ballads are certainly different, but I just don't think they work at all for Stu. His voice just sounds plain silly to me at points.

The only song that I really thought was different for Iced Earth was Dark City and to an extent the ballads were a bit different than typical IE ballads. Both had strong chorus's poorly executed.

Epidemic Reign
10-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Stu's falsetto almost killed the title track for me :lol: it sounds good on other parts of the album, but a little too 3 Inches of Blood cheesy on that song.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Stu's falsetto almost killed the title track for me :lol: it sounds good on other parts of the album, but a little too 3 Inches of Blood cheesy on that song.

Yep.

The high vocals remind me of 3 inches of Blood.

Epidemic Reign
10-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Yep.

Not surprised I wasn't the first to make that correlation ;)

Probably gonna run out to the record store and pick this up today, and maybe the new Insomnium as well.

MPF
10-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Apparently The Trooper is the other cover they did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfQrNsXAL0

ravenheart
10-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Tragedy and Triumph is the same boring midtempo riffing for about 60% of the song, the opening sounds extremely similar to Gettysburg: The High Water Mark. I don't see anything original about it at all.

Really? Upbeat major keys throughout and you can't hear anything IE haven't done before?

The ballads are certainly different, but I just don't think they work at all for Stu. His voice just sounds plain silly to me at points.

This just doesn't make any sense at all.

darkguardian50
10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Tragedy and Triumph isn't the only one that used a major key, in fact I was kinda suprised how many songs on the album used major instead of the typical minor key. Ultimately I think thats why I didn't like alot of it. It just didn't even sounds like Iced Earth. Tragedy and Triumph though still sounded to much like stuff they have done before. Listen to Gettysburg and then Tragedy and Triumph and tell me that opening isn't derivative?

As for the Stu comment re: ballads. Sure it makes sense. Just cause you don't agree doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

I didn't dislike the album or anything, Some of it worked for me and some of it didn't. But I don't think it was as Strong as Something Wicked Part II, or Glorious Burden or Horror Show. I did prefer it to Something Wicked Part 1 though.

My excitement for the album waned after hearing about the upcoming Orphaned Land dvd, thats definitely my most anticipated release this year.

Btw that cover of The Trooper? Awesome.

makethemsuffer12
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Apparently The Trooper is the other cover they did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfQrNsXAL0

Why do they have to tune it to B though? Stu is perfectly capable of hitting the notes in their typical Eb tuning.

Epidemic Reign
10-31-2011, 02:32 AM
Am I alone in thinking that "Days of Rage" would have been better if it were slightly reworked to be a lead-in to "Boiling Point"? They've basically got the same rhythm/hook going on.