PDA

View Full Version : Judas Priest -- Montreal, Quebec -- July 20th, 1988

PowerMaiden
06-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I said Priest was overated in Maiden33's thread but that's not entirely true, they were pretty good the 2 nd time I saw them...

Source: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/judas-priest/1988/montreal-forum-montreal-qc-canada-53d77f31.html

01.The Hellion
02. Electric Eye
03. Metal Gods
04. Sinner
05. Breaking the Law
06. Come and Get It
07. I'm a Rocker
08. The Sentinel
09. The Ripper
10. Some Heads Are Gonna Roll
11. Turbo Lover
12. Ram It Down
13. Heavy Metal
14. Victim of Changes
15. The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)

Encore:

16. Living After Midnight
17. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
18. Hell Bent for Leather

is that a good setlist for the time ? cause I remember I had a good time

maybe I'll go to their farewell gig when it comes to Montreal

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

treghet
06-07-2011, 08:00 PM
I would say it's good for the time, but I'd want another from Screaming for Vengeance or Defenders of the Faith. I'd say you should go to the show. What's holding you back?

PowerMaiden
06-07-2011, 08:01 PM
yeah, Freewheel Burning comes to mind for me

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
06-07-2011, 08:06 PM
What's holding you back?

I lost interest in them not long after that show i guess

since then I manage to get a hand on Painkiller under recommandation of people from this board, it's good but not that agreat imho, big thing though is that I was never a fan of Halford and I have problems really appreciate the band because of his voice

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Good set list for the time. Blood Red Skies would have been better than Heavy Metal.

That tour was also the second time I saw JP as well. The first was the summer of '86. Reunion Arena, Dallas, TX. Also happened to be when and where they recorded Priest Live!. :horns:

larvtard
06-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I lost interest in them not long after that show i guess

since then I manage to get a hand on Painkiller under recommandation of people from this board, it's good but not that agreat imho, big thing though is that I was never a fan of Halford and I have problems really appreciate the band because of his voice

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

meh.... Judas Priest >>>> Iron Maiden
inb4 the shitstorm of the century

PowerMaiden
06-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Good set list for the time. Blood Red Skies would have been better than Heavy Metal.

That tour was also the second time I saw JP as well. The first was the summer of '86. Reunion Arena, Dallas, TX. Also happened to be when and where they recorded Priest Live!. :horns:

cool

first time for me was on the same tour as you, july 23 rd of '86 in Montreal

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
meh.... Judas Priest >>>> Iron Maiden
inb4 the shitstorm of the century

that is a thing that I dislike about this board is the juvenile posts: this band is better than this one all the time

grow up guys

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

larvtard
06-07-2011, 08:21 PM
that is a thing that I dislike about this board is the juvenile posts: this band is better than this one all the time

grow up guys

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Okay, I admit I was deliberately trying to stir up shit there, but, really? I'm juvenile for having an opinion?

Wizzbang11
06-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Maiden fucking DESTROYS Priest.
It's not even a fair comparison.

JRA
06-07-2011, 08:56 PM
01.The Hellion
02. Electric Eye
03. Metal Gods
04. Sinner
05. Breaking the Law
06. Come and Get It
07. I'm a Rocker
08. The Sentinel
09. The Ripper
10. Some Heads Are Gonna Roll
11. Turbo Lover
12. Ram It Down
13. Heavy Metal
14. Victim of Changes
15. The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)

Encore:

16. Living After Midnight
17. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
18. Hell Bent for Leather

It's a good one but not a great one. They really should have been playing Blood Red Skies on this tour. Replace I'm A Rocker with it.

Maiden33
06-07-2011, 09:21 PM

This.

devilball
06-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Did you not get Beyond The Realms Of Death in Canada. it was certainly played in Europe. They also played Johnny Be Good in the encores during the first few gigs of the tour.

Sanitarium78
06-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Okay, I admit I was deliberately trying to stir up shit there, but, really? I'm juvenile for having an opinion?

No you're juvenile for purposely trying to stir shit up. You've been around here long enough to know that 90 percent of this board worships Maiden. So to try and egg on the majority of the board with a comment like that is dumb and a battle you wouldn't win if every Maiden fan here took you to task on it. But honestly, it's not worth the headache. So let's move on.

Maidenmagic
06-08-2011, 06:51 AM

AGREE.

ImmortalEmperor
06-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Those were the first two Priest tours for me as well. I believe Raven opened the "Turbo" tour and Slayer opened the "Ram It Down" tour - or was it the other way around? Long time ago...

For me: Priest over Maiden, and it isn't close...

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Dokken opened the '86 show and Cinderella opened in '88. At least at the Dallas shows.

JuuKun
06-08-2011, 09:43 AM
So to try and egg on the majority of the board with a comment like that is dumb and a battle you wouldn't win if every Maiden fan here took you to task on it.

It's not a battle that he COULD win or lose, it's an opinion. He might be grossly outnumbered, but that wouldn't make his opinion any less valid.

marker
06-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Slayer opened for Priest on the Ram it Down tour,saw that one it was great.The Turbo tour had Raven opening some shows and Dokken opening some.I do remember Cinderella opening some shows in 88' as mentioned by another.Priest is always great live in my opinion.

jhdeity
06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I saw Maiden open for Priest twice so I'd be up for a little Priest vs. Maiden debate...

if it wouldn't be 95% to 5% like it would be on here. hahaha

Once TFF was named Best cd of 2010 I gave up hope of every having an actual intelligent debate about Maiden on here.

I do find it interesting that best 10 songs vs. best 10 songs would be really interesting but probably favor Maiden. Best 20 or 25 though would probably balance things out.

Album vs. Album I'm not sure... Sad Wings vs. NOTB? Hell Bent for Leather vs. Piece of Mind? British Steel vs. Powerslave? All interesting debates.

Sin After Sin & Stained Class vs. Iron Maiden & Killers? SFV over SBIT? I can see both sides actually but if I had to pick a side I'd be defending Priest I think.

larvtard
06-08-2011, 11:41 AM
No you're juvenile for purposely trying to stir shit up. You've been around here long enough to know that 90 percent of this board worships Maiden. So to try and egg on the majority of the board with a comment like that is dumb and a battle you wouldn't win if every Maiden fan here took you to task on it. But honestly, it's not worth the headache. So let's move on.

Point taken, but I'm pretty sure that's not why he was calling me juvenile.

Blasphemor
06-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Those were the first two Priest tours for me as well. I believe Raven opened the "Turbo" tour and Slayer opened the "Ram It Down" tour - or was it the other way around? Long time ago...

For me: Priest over Maiden, and it isn't close...

Priest over Maiden for sure. I've seen them both about 5 times and Priest has never put on a bad show. Conversely, Maiden has put on a couple of lackluster efforts that either had me bored or leaving early (which only happens if a band truly puts out a shit effort). ImmortalEmperor and I saw Maiden together on World Slavery(which is still one of my all time favorite shows), Somewhere on Tour and whatever the fuck Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour was called. SSoaSS was the show we walked out on basically because they were all flash and not a whole lot of substance - they had no stage set because their semi hauling the stage had turned-over in the desert. This shouldn't have neccesarily been a killer but the sound was atrocious and they completely half-assed it. So we blew out of there truly disappointed in the boys.
Priest has kicked ass Every. Single. Time. But to each their own.

And it was Slayer on Ram it Down. :rocker:

jhdeity
06-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Priest over Maiden for sure. I've seen them both about 5 times and Priest has never put on a bad show. Conversely, Maiden has put on a couple of lackluster efforts that either had me bored or leaving early (which only happens if a band truly puts out a shit effort). ImmortalEmperor and I saw Maiden together on World Slavery(which is still one of my all time favorite shows), Somewhere on Tour and whatever the fuck Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour was called. SSoaSS was the show we walked out on basically because they were all flash and not a whole lot of substance - they had no stage set because their semi hauling the stage had turned-over in the desert. This shouldn't have neccesarily been a killer but the sound was atrocious and they completely half-assed it. So we blew out of there truly disappointed in the boys.
Priest has kicked ass Every. Single. Time. But to each their own.

And it was Slayer on Ram it Down. :rocker:

Ya know I was just thinking I also saw Maiden with Blaze and Priest with Ripper and Priest totally smoked them. Maiden with Blaze was terrible live and played way too much stuff of that era of albums. Priest with Ripper blew me away! I actually believe Ripper at that age did some songs better than Rob could have where as I would never say that about Blaze and Bruce I don't think. To each his own like Blas says but that's certainly something else to consider.

PowerMaiden
06-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I like better the last few posts with arguments and explanations than the

PRIEST >>>> MAIDEN or the other way around for that matterwould not be better. Just come up with reasons for your opinions is all I ask.

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

TonyD
06-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Fuck ya'll

marker
06-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I have seen Maiden six times and Priest around four,seems like more.Priest is more consistent live,they sound great every time,and they are always tight.Maiden is inconsistent,not always sounding good.Just my honest opinion,not trying to start anything on here.

converge241
06-09-2011, 05:07 AM

I loooove Blood Red Skies