PDA

View Full Version : Package tours v. Headlining tours

brutal_descent
06-07-2011, 03:12 PM
As I was making my dream Megadeth setlist a few minutes ago, I thought about the three times that I've seen Megadeth.

1st time - Rust in Peace Anniversary tour - 20 songs performed.
2nd time - American Carnage - 14 songs performed.
3rd time - European Carnage - 14 songs performed.

Now, those two Carnage shows were co-headlining bills, I understand. But what about this summer's Mayhem Fest?

I think while package tours such as Uproar, Summer Slaughter, Ozzfest, and Mayhem Festival are fun to attend and see bands you've never listened to, it's greatly dissapointing for real fans of bands performing because of the shortness of their sets. I'd rather pay as much for a headlining Megadeth show and see them play 20 or so songs instead of paying $5 more and watching 12 bands in half a day. I'd understand if bands occasionally decided to play on package tours, but it's like a fad/trend now - practically every band out there is clawing for a spot on a package tour, and when they don't get on one, they just find some band to co-headline with them. It's a no-win situation. :(

Discuss.

OraclesofAgony
06-07-2011, 03:20 PM
The Rust In Peace anniversary show I went to at the Palladium in Hollywood was one of the best shows I've ever been to, along with the Amon Amarth show this year as well. So I agree with you. I'd love to see a 20 song Slayer set.

brutal_descent
06-07-2011, 03:26 PM
The Rust In Peace anniversary show I went to at the Palladium in Hollywood was one of the best shows I've ever been to, along with the Amon Amarth show this year as well. So I agree with you. I'd love to see a 20 song Slayer set.

Slayer could pretty much win back over all the fans that have been pissed at them over the last few years over the setlists if they just got ONE headlining tour.

Seriously? You can't even make a Big Four setlist special?

treghet
06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I despise package tours. As you said, the sets usually get cut, and that really pisses me off. I'd rather see a few bands do some real sets. Also, when you get a 10 band tour, not as many people are coming for the headlining band (example: Summer Slaughter tour last year), so the crowd is weak. That makes the experience not as much fun, especially if it's a band you really want to go crazy for.

brutal_descent
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I despise package tours. As you said, the sets usually get cut, and that really pisses me off. I'd rather see a few bands do some real sets. Also, when you get a 10 band tour, not as many people are coming for the headlining band (example: Summer Slaughter tour last year), so the crowd is weak. That makes the experience not as much fun, especially if it's a band you really want to go crazy for.

There's also the danger of mixing fans together. I'm sure there'll be at least one fight during the run of the Mayhem summer tour between a Suicide Silence / Disturbed / Godsmack fan and a In Flames / Megadeth fan.

brutal_descent
06-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Another point - package tours, arguably, are for people who aren't patient enough to wait for a proper headlining tour.

Package tours have COMMERCIAL TOUR written all over them. I mean, once you start selling skateboards, caps, and even fucking GLOVES with the tour logos on them, it's obvious you're not trying to support the 'scene' or anything.

ShatteredFlame
06-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I've never been to any one of those package tours tbh because the lineups always suck, 4 good bands at most but the rest I don't care for.

But the ones I somewhat like are bands I use to listen to in middle school and I wouldn't want anything less than the hits :) I'm just not that interested in seeing them to actually pay.

larvtard
06-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Another point - package tours, arguably, are for people who aren't patient enough to wait for a proper headlining tour.

Package tours have COMMERCIAL TOUR written all over them. I mean, once you start selling skateboards, caps, and even fucking GLOVES with the tour logos on them, it's obvious you're not trying to support the 'scene' or anything.

Oh, wait. By package tour you mean the huge summer festivals. Most national metal tours are "package tours," in that the headliner barely gets 75 min, usually less.

Wizzbang11
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM

I don't think that's a problem at all. It's not like any of the bands you guys are talking about would exist in the ultimate underground or anything if they weren't on a package tour. When dealing with bands like Megadeth, I really don't think "supporting the scene" is even a thing.
If you're going to go to a mainstream package tour/fest, I totally want corporate sponsors. Cheaper tickets + free shit to offset the obscene costs of food (see Mayhemfest 09- I drank exclusively free energy drinks, didn't spend a dime on another beverage. Was it somewhat sickening? yes. But it was free.)

brutal_descent
06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Oh, wait. By package tour you mean the huge summer festivals. Most national metal tours are "package tours," in that the headliner barely gets 75 min, usually less.

Well, generally I'm talking about how both types of package tours suck, but the commercial aspect is purely specific to the festivals.

larvtard
06-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Well, generally I'm talking about how both types of package tours suck, but the commercial aspect is purely specific to the festivals.

Yeah, those summer festivals wouldn't even exist without a commercial sponsor. Well it'd be a lot more difficult...

Shadowswillfall414
06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Well it depends on the band. Like I would rather see slayer headline there own show then see them do one hour at mayhem. But If its disturbed I wouldnt mind them doing an hour but i dont think I would go if they headlined there own show.

treghet
06-07-2011, 04:25 PM
(see Mayhemfest 09- I drank exclusively free energy drinks, didn't spend a dime on another beverage. Was it somewhat sickening? yes. But it was free.)

Really? :lol: If I ever attend I will keep that in mind. Although it would probably make me feel like shit in the summer heat.

larvtard
06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Well it depends on the band. Like I would rather see slayer headline there own show then see them do one hour at mayhem. But If its disturbed I wouldnt mind them doing an hour but i dont think I would go if they headlined there own show.

Yeah, exactly. If I really like the headliner I want to see them actually headline. Otherwise, I'm fine with a package.

Really? :lol: If I ever attend I will keep that in mind. Although it would probably make me feel like shit in the summer heat.

When I was at Warped, they were giving out free Rockstar, and yeah, they made me feel more dehydrated...

brutal_descent
06-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, exactly. If I really like the headliner I want to see them actually headline. Otherwise, I'm fine with a package.

But you can't get that right every time. There'll always be a band that people will be upset about seeing with a short set. That's why I think they should quit the mixing of genres with these festivals. Have yourself an All Stars for the scenesters, and Ozzfest for everybody stuck in the 90s, Summer Slaughter for the brootal-heads, and on the other hand have yourself a Mayhem 2009 for people with tastes like the ones on this site. There's already too many of these travelling festivals, so why not just cut it down to a couple necessary ones?

treghet
06-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, those summer festivals wouldn't even exist without a commercial sponsor. Well it'd be a lot more difficult...

Yep. I hate when people complain about Scion sponsoring/completely putting together shows and festivals. All those great bands would probably never play together (here) without Scion, yet so many people are ungrateful for it.

larvtard
06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Yep. I hate when people complain about Scion sponsoring/completely putting together shows and festivals. All those great bands would probably never play together (here) without Scion, yet so many people are ungrateful for it.

IT'S NOT THE PUNK ETHIC MAN. FUCK THE CORPORATIONS

Dextrimental
06-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Package tours can be good for getting a bigger venue, and for getting certain bands who would never be able to headline or play somewhere normally over, like Children of Bodom and Lamd of God didn't headline play here til 08/09, they came here on package tours.

Headline shows are ALWAYS better as a fan of the music, but from an actual commercial aspect for the promoters, package tours are more viable for ticket sales. It goes both ways, but the person paying for the show has a better time at the headline show.

Sanitarium78
06-08-2011, 07:43 AM
I've stated a few times on here my dislike for package/festival style tours. In the US it sucks because I think the curfews here are earlier than those in Europe. With the festivals over there it seems that the headliners actually have the time to play a full set.

I've grown tired of this co-headline bullshit to. Particularly when the co-headliners are bands that have enough material to play for at least 90 mins or better. Sorry, unless you've only got like one or two albums I consider an hour as a headliner unacceptable for big amphitheater shows. It cheats the fans who wanna see the bands they like play a quality set. Instead we get them coming out for an hour, doing the bare minimum setlist wise and pretty much just mailing it in on a nightly basis.

The very first co-headline show I ever saw was in the summer of 1992. Metallica and Guns N Roses did a co-headlining stadium tour with Faith No More as the opener. FNM played 45 mins, Metallica and GNR played over two hours each. That is how you do a co-headline bill, not the garbage they try to feed us now.

It would also be better if these tours didn't become an annual thing. Maybe if Mayhem, Uproar and what ever the fuck else there is, did it every other year it wouldn't be so bad. Both tours have repeating headliners this year and neither tour has been around that long yet.

Even Sharon Osbourne knows that Ozzfest, which started this whole thing 15 years ago, can't be a yearly tour now. If it's something special like the Big Four i'll let that slide. But the market is so overloaded right now in the US with these big package tours that it's gotten boring.