PDA

View Full Version : X Men: First Class

TonyD
06-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Discuss. Or not.

powerslave_85
06-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Going to see it later this afternoon. I'm stoked, I've heard nothing but great things.

mastodon421
06-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm seeing it tommorow night. I can't wait, it's one of my most anticipated films of the entire year.

JLRedWing13
06-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Do want.

JuuKun
06-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Saw it on Friday, loved it. Really close with X2 for my favorite X-Men movie. Michael Fassbender made a terrific Magneto. There's a couple of very small continuity errors in regards to the other 4 movies that some people are bitching about, but hey, retconning is such a common element of comics that, for a fan of the comics, it really shouldn't be that hard to look past who did what when with whom.

powerslave_85
06-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I loved it. Exciting action sequences, intriguing plot, and great performances by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. There's a few problems (January Jones is really bad, there's a few clunky lines, Beast's makeup looks crappy), but it's extremely enjoyable. Oh, and there's an amazing cameo that almost made me fall out of my seat.

JuuKun
06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
January Jones looks the part of Emma Frost, but her particular form of non-acting was definitely off. The cold, aloof Emma of First Class was definitely more in line with her older appearances than who she's become in the comics these days, but it still missed the target. Emma Frost is not a bland henchwoman who fetches ice for Sebastian Shaw. It worked fine for me in this one, with most of the focus on Erik, Charles, and Raven, but if they bother bringing her back, I'd expect it to be atleast a bit larger role. Either recast or force Jones to get her shit together for a sequel, please. I've not seen her in anything else to know if she's always like this or not.

Riptide was pretty pointless except as a prop, I'd have preferred him replaced by Selene. Even if she served the same purpose as him, without any lines, it would have atleast been a bit more Hellfire Club. I feel like they missed out by not having any Azazel/Mystique interaction in this one, maybe next time.

There's actually two awesome cameos, though the second one isn't hard to miss. I liked that one more, as a subtle nod to the original trilogy.

powerslave_85
06-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Ah, yeah, I know what cameo you're talking about. That was pretty clever.

mastodon421
06-06-2011, 11:40 AM
I loved it as well. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are both fantastic and really drive the movie. The action was fantastic and the script was really good as well. As powerslave mentioned, the cameo is god damn hysterical. Best X-Men film since X2.

TonyD
06-06-2011, 01:14 PM
What was the first cameo then?

powerslave_85
06-06-2011, 01:21 PM
What was the first cameo then?
SPOILERS!!!!
First cameo was obviously Logan/Wolverine at the bar. Second was Mystique/Raven briefly morphing into Rebecca Romijn in the scene where she's in bed talking to Erik.

TonyD
06-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Ok I didn't catch the second one, partly because I haven't sat down and watched any of the other X Men movies all the way through. The first was awesome though.

Butcher of Birth
07-23-2011, 12:03 PM
The film was better than Wolverine, not saying much, but still a good thing!

Wrathchild_84
07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
I didn't love it but atleast I wasn't ready rip out the seats and chuck 'em at the screen like after Wolverine.

metallicbrian666
07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
To be honest I think it's my favorite superhero movie yet. When I first heard the concept I was terrified (mainly due to the abomination that was Wolverine Origins) but it was really cool.