PDA

View Full Version : MPF's 2011 Music In Review

MPF
06-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey guys,

I was originally planning on doing all of this tonight for the 1st half of 2011, but with getting side tracked (Thanks Facebook and hot chicks) and realizing how many albums I have so far, I gotta do this in sections. So this is my first 20. This is also posted on my blog, if anyone is interested I'll put up the link.

Yes, we all survived the May 21st, 2011 Judgement Day of absolutely nothing happening. So in honor of that I complied all the albums I listened to in 2011 that have come out as of June 2011. Some are absolutely amazing, some are....bad. But either way It's worth reading.

I will be doing this the same way as I did my 2010 review, I set my itunes on random order, and review from there.

Let's begin:

1.) Legion Of The Damned- Descent Into Chaos

I just discovered Legion of The Damned earlier this year. They are a great Thrash/Death Metal band from The Netherlands. Like Hellish Crossfire last year, Legion of The Damned really caught my interest with their style of Testament mixed with Death. It makes me happy to see Thrash is still alive and well all over the world. While nothing is mindblowing on this album, it does bring back the roots of late 80's thrash and Early 90's Death Metal. Old school fans will love this for sure.

7/10

2.) Evergrey- Glorious Collision

This is the 8th album from one of the bands that helped to appreciate Metal, Evergrey. Evergrey is one of the finest Progressive Power Metal bands to ever exist as evident from albums like Recreation Day and In Search Of Truth. Many say that they lost their touch on the albums Monday Morning Apocalypse and Torn with their modern style elements being added. Since that time, 3/5 of the band left and in my eyes gave the band new life. Glorious Collision brings back some of the more classic Evergrey sounds while staying modern. They may have written their finest song, The Phantom Letters, which I hope will be a staple in their lives shows. The album, as Evergrey tends to always have is a great balance of heavy songs and emotional ballads. This is definitely their come back album, and they are stronger then ever.

9/10

3.) Vandrum- Classic Drumming

This album is clearly just drumming masturbation. It is clearly just drummer Vandrum (Most famous for doing drum versions of the Mario Bros. Themes on Youtube) playing over public domain Classical songs. It is a cool listen at first, but you easily get bored with it after a few songs.. While Vandrum is clearly a phenomenal drummer, this isn't an album you can listen to all the way through and still keep your interest. It's just to show drumming chops. Cool, but just a gimmick.

4/10

4.) Hibira- Blind Ride

One of the finest Power Metal albums I have heard in quite some time. The vocals may take a while to get into, but it's worth it if you do. It's a great mixture of Iced Earth, Edguy, Blind Guardian, and Nevermore. It's a very fun album to rock out to from start to finish, I hope these guys get huge.

8/10

5.) Samael- Lux Mundi

I just started getting into these guys after years of knowing about them. The incorporate a unique style of Industrial, Black Metal and Symphonic Metal. Lux Mindi is an album that showcases all 3 styles very well. Those that remember Shining's Blackjazz from last year, picture Shining without the Jazz elements and that would be a fair comparison. The album may take a while to really sink in, but it is very good stuff.

6/10

6.) Cynthesis- DeEvolution

Cynthesis is a side project of the member of Zero Hour. DeEvolution is a lot more simplistic then that of a Zero Hour album, but I think in that case, it helps. In Zero hour they began repeating themselves over and over again. Cynthesis brings new life in a damn good way. It's still proggy as all hell, but it's the best Zero Hour album they never put out.

8/10

7.) Explosions In The Sky- Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

As much as I LOVE Post Rock, this album really bored me a lot. While it has nearly everything you caould want in a Post Rock album, it leaves very little to the imagination. I guess the best way to put it, TOO DAMN MELLOW! There is very little dynamics shown at all. Only in a couple songs do things pick up at all. Not to say Mellow albums are not good, but they at least gotta be interesting. Explosions In The Syy used to master that. Now it's only in half of an album.

5/10

8.) Boris- New Album

One of my favorite releases last year was the EP from Boris featuring Ian Astbury of The Cult. The music was so dynamic and cool. This year Boris has released 4 ALBUMS! The first one to pop up on here is New Album. It's introducing me to a style that I'm not too entirely familiar with, but am now very intrigued by, J-Pop. Boris' take on J-Pop is to make it heavy with guitar and electronics, while making it poppy and catchy as hell, while still being a rock band. Being From Japan, this should not be a shock. I am really, REALLY digging this album a lot. For those experimental types that want something mainstream, and vice versa. Check out NEW ALBUM!

9/10

9.) Dark Castle- Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

Dark Castle creates a form of Doom Metal that matches directly with Sludge Metal. It's not nearly as slow as most Doom Metal, but not fast enough to be Sludge Metal (which is pretty slow as well). It's right in between. Dark Castle is a great kickass band if you want something heavy as FUCK! It truly is.

7/10

10.) Dredg- Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy

In the Prog world, this may go down as one of the most hated albums. I swear I'm one of the 7 Die Hard Prog fans who truly loves this album. Yes it is absolutely different then all 4 pervious albums, every electronic and Poppy. And before I heard the album in full and just the singles, I was scared as hell, but once you sit down with it late night, catching up with your thoughts, this album is perfect. It's very laid back, Mellow, but still has songs that are up tempo. Don't expect anything much Rock on this one. This is most definitely a a Pop/Electronic album that does have guitars and no rapping. But to all the haters of this album. Just go on youtube and listen to the live versions and get back to me. I will be very shocked if it doesn't change your mind.

10/10

11.) Demonlord- Only The Dead Are Safe

YEAH! BRUTAL DEATH METAL!!!...right? Actually, not at all. It's is Thrashy, but very Power Metal. It's almost as if you took the best of Metallica (Guitar and Vocals) and made it Power Metal, BAM! you got Demonlord. It is very cool stuff. For something out of the norm in both Thrash and Power Metal, check these guys out!

7/10

12.) Protest The Hero- Scurrilous

Protest The Hero has always been an either Dead On or Dead Off band to me. I love Kezia, pretty meh on Fortress, and Scurrilous....I guess I don't have a real opinion on. There are some songs I really love on it, while others sound like B-sides to Fortress or Kezia. Musically, as always it's up to par, but it's just something about them that won't let me click with them completely. I think it just might because I discovered Between The Buried And Me first, and in my eyes they are light years ahead of Protest The Hero. None the less, I think it's worth at least one listen to see how you take it. TO me it's better then Fortress, but not by much.

6/10

13,) Alestorm- Back Through Time

The greatest Pirate Metal band is back lot more Thrash then in the past but still plenty of the Pirate Metal influenced Power you've come to know and love. For the haters of the band, the song, Scrapping The Barrel is dedicated to you, haha. I love a good gimmick once in a while, Alestorm is one of the few.

8/10

14.) Boris- Attention Please

The second Boris album featured so far is a bit more subdued version of New Album. More laid back and controlled but just as poppy and catchy. Perfect night music for sure. I'm digging this one a lot as well in the same reason I like New Album.

9/10

15.) Deadlock- Bizzaro World

Again, Deadlock is a band I didn't know too much about till this year. It is great female Fronted Metal. with Male Growls. It sometimes has an electronic feel from the keyboards. But the music is Modern and badass. After a full listen, I can honestly say this is the band Lacuna Coil should have been.

7/10

16.) Born Of Osiris- The Discovery

This band finally got good. Their first EP had a lot of promise, but their first full length sucked! The Discovery is actually, pretty damn badass. It has some, but very little deathcore breakdowns. It features more on Progressive and Electronica, which is a welcomed change from the Deathcore style plaguing the world right now. If these guys keep going the way they are, they will be a damn good band, I just hope they do.

8/10

17.) Autopsy- Macabre Eternal

For fans of real, Death metal, Autopsy have returned. This is one of the best Death Metal albums I've heard in a long time. Just brutal in your face Metal. The vocals may take a while to get used to, but I think they are perfect, especially comming from the drummer. If you want classic Death metal in the Modern Age, get this now!

8/10

18.) Devin Townsend- Deconstruction

Album of the Millennium. I think that pretty much covers it.

11/10

19.) Fen- Epoch

For fans of the Post Black metal stylings on Alcest, this may be right up your alley. This is Post Black Metal to the core and I love it. Very heavy and dynamic. It feels like the perfect scary soundtrack.

9/10

Turias- Stand Up And Fight

Turias has been a great Battle Metal band over the last decade. The newest album has become a spectacular Symphonic Metal masterpiece. I hate using the term, but it is the definition of EPIC. SO many dynamic, and the full orchestra make that happen. The only thing I'm afraid of is that it doesn't live up live, because the orchestra adds so much to the music, but I'm sure they can pull it off. This may has well been the soundtrack to Thor.

8/10

And that is it for now, I will continue this either Saturday or Sunday night. Hope you guys dig it.

MPF
06-04-2011, 08:47 PM
So I'm back for part 2 of this musical endeavor. This is a short one, but it's worth checking out. I'll make up for it tomorrow. Let's kick it off right:

1.) Periphery- Icarus EP

Periphery was one of my favorite discoveries of last year. Their Self Titled debut Long Play album, Periphery made my top 5 of 2010. This EP is to more of less serve for the Title track (Icarus Lives), and it's 3 remixes. As a newer fan of Electronica, I really dig the remixes as they serve a cool new spin on the music. The song also features a new updated version of Jetpack's Was Yes and 4 new songs. It is a great listen and a cool interpretation for what is to come with the band in the future. For the open minded Metal fan, pick this one up!

9/10

2.) Crowbar- Sever The Wicked Hand

Who doesn't love Sludgey Hardcore? Crowbar is one of the few bands that can pull it right. Their new return album is a great return to form. The slow songs are heavy as all Hell, the fast songs have that great Hardcore sound that has a been missing in a lot of bands lately. it does bring back the hay day of 90's Hardcore.FOr older fans of the Metal scene, and for new ones who want a 2011 version of Real Hardcore and Sludge Metal. Check this out!

8/10

3.) Weedeater- Jason...The Dragon

This is a very strange band to me. It's as if Sleep got back together and wrote short songs in the style of Kyuss. Depending on the type of listener you are, that is a good thing or a bad thing. The music is the definition of Stoner Metal. It may be hard to get into if you are not already a fan of the style, btu I'd say this one is a great starter album for the genre.

7/10

4.) Amorphis- The Beginning Of Times

Amorphis is arguably one of the greatest underrated Metal bands to ever come out of Europe. Their style of Folk Metal, Progressive Metal, mixed with elements of Melodic Death Metal and Doom Metal. Amorphis does it right. I am a much bigger fan of their newer work then their earlier material (That may be sacrilege to say). 2009's Skyforger is one of my favorite albums of 2009, and The Beginning Of Times is just as good, if not better. It carries on the Tradition of Skyforger while adding in a bit of the past work as well.This will end up in my top 10 albums for sure.

10/10

5.) Thomas Giles- Pulse

Pulse is the second solo album from the singer/keyboardist of Between The Buried and Me. His first release was a very electronica style album. But Pulse on the other hand is a very Prog album. Almost every style of music is covered on this album. Electronica, Pop, Metal, Rock, Acoustic. It is a great variety album. I think there is only 1-2 songs that feature any kinds of screams, otherwise it is all great clean vocals. For a great songwriter album, check this one out, it is awesome.

9/10

jd091
06-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh, MPF, You and Devy would make a cute couple...

:lovedup:

MPF
06-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Oh, MPF, You and Devy would make a cute couple...

:lovedup:

Last I checked he wasn't into guys, and neither am I.

:finger:

MPF
06-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Well it is now time for part 3. Some of the best is yet to come.

1.) Blackfield- Welcome To My DNA

I do like Blackfield, the side project of Porcupine Tree frontman, Steven Wilson.. They have written some of the most beautiful music that's ever happened in music. But at the same time. They have written 3 of the exact same albums. The only real difference is the song, Go To Hell, which has really turned out to be a real love/hate song among fans. The lyrics are juvenile, but that is the point of the song. If you have heard the first 2 Blackfield albums, you are absolutely not missing anything on Welcome To My DNA. If you have yet to check out Blackfield, This would be a great introduction to the band.

6/10

2.) Long Distance Calling- Long Distance Calling

Long Distance Calling's previous album, Avoid The Light, is one of my favorite albums of all time. SO I was really excited to hear that they have released their new self titled album. To my almost dismay, it's just not the same. None of the real memorable hooks Avoid The Light had. The one song I truely do love is the song, Middleville featuyring John Bush of Anthrax/Armored Saint fame.It reminds me of what would have happened if Anthrax kept up the Alternative feel they had going with John Bush in the early-mid 90s. Not to say the other songs on the album are bad, but compared to Avoid The Light, it's just not as good. It feels like something big is missing. I still consider it among my top 20 of 2011 so far, but at the same time, I know it could have been so much higher.

7/10

3.) Havok- Time Is Up

I will love Thrash until the day I die. That will never change. Havok is a big reason why I still do. They are a big part of the Thrash Metal Revival that is still desperately needed. Time Is Up is a revival of the great 80's thrash scene, reminding me of a mix between Exodus and Death Angel. Like Most thrash metal of today, there is nothing groundbreaking, or innovative on this album, just pure ass kicking Thrash, That's all I ask for in Thrash Metal.

7/10

4.) Lazarus A.D.- Black Rivers Flow

Wisconsin based Thrashers, Lazarus took a complete left turn on their new album. Their debut album, appropriately title, The Onslaught, was exactly that., An Onslaught of Thrash. Black Rivers Flow, is about half the tempo of The Onslaught, and focusing much more on Melody and Groove. Which is a welcoming change to me. A lot of Tr00 fans will hate this album because it's not just an audio attack of Metal. It is a much more focused album that has better song writing and better overall songs. The best way I can describe it, is a much more Melodic Megadeth. I really dig this album, if you need a bit of a change from standard Thrash Metal, this is an album for you.

8/10

5.) Emmanuel And The Fear- Hands

This is an EP from a great Indie Rock band that needs to be known, Emmanuel And The Fear. These guys do something that is a welcoming change in the Indie Rock scene, write original sounding music. Musically, Hands goes everywhere. From heavy to Political, to bluesy, to the indie Rock sound. Hands appears to me a much angrier album, especially lyrically. then their debut album from last year. WHile I typically don't add EPs on my top of lists (unless I make a separate EP list) But in terms of Non Metal music, this will rank very high in my favorite releases of the year.

8/10

6.) Goes Cube- In Tides and Drifts

Goes Cube is a favorite discovery for me in 2009. A much more Hardcore version of Torche. Thier style of fast driven Hardcore Sludge Metal is something I love to listen to. It also has a Math Rock/Math Metal feel in some spots, but almost always in 4/4. Amongst all the chaos, there are odd moments of slow beauty. It's not too often on the album, but it hits you pretty damn hard. This album goes by very fast. And definitely worth giving a shot.

8/10

7.) Darkest Hour- The Human Romance

Darkest hour is one of the forefront bands in the Metalcore scene. I originally gave up on ever liking Darkest hour when I heard guitarist Kris Norris left the band, their last album left me wanting so much more, and I realize now, the band felt the same way. So what did they do about. They wrote one of the best albums of 2011. The Human Romance. Every song has what a Metal fan would want. Melodicness, Brutality, non-shitty breakdowns where needed. They finally wrote and album that I love all the way through. I gotta hand it to them, I didn't that that was ever going to happen. If this album doesn't get them the recognition they deserve, nothing will.

10/10

8.) Panzerchrist- Regiment Ragnarok

How these guys are not the biggest Death metal band in the world right now is beyond be. It has everything a lot of Death Metal bands are missing right now. Absolutely brutality, the greatest blast beats on record, excellent songwriting. They are a Death Metal band, that breaks from the stereotype and creates absolutely, listenable chaos.

9/10

9.) Boris- Klatter

This album is more of the Boris that I've remembered from years gone by. Very Doomy and experimental. But unlike the original Boris of just pure noise, there is actual structure to these songs rather then just, make noise when you feel like it. It's almost like 70's Hard Rock meets Doom, or to be more relative to the times, if The Sword made an Experimental Black Sabbath album. While it is good overall, it is a mood album. Make sure you are in the mood for something different, then this should be right up your alley.

7/10

10.) DevilDriver- Beast

DevilDriver is a band who constantly gets better and better musically and songwriting wise. I always give these guys a chance, but there is something about them that just never seems to click with me. Bands like Chimaira are the same way. Absolutely excellent, but just not for me. That said, Best is very badass and easily the best DevilDriver album to date. Technical, Melodic, and heavy as hell. It still isn't clicking with me enough to really like DevilDriver, but after a few more real listens, Beast just might change mind on these guys.

7/10

11.) Shining- VII- Fodd Forlorare

No this isn't the shining that Love more, the Norwegian Shining, but rather the Swedish Death metal Shining. The Swedish Shining is band that I discovered a couple months ago and I'm starting to get into their back catalog. But VII is a good start for me. It reminds if Opeth would have went more into a Blackened Death Metal route. I do agree with others that this album doesn't live up to their past work, but this album is still damn good, and when you need something more out of Death Metal, check these guys out.

6/10

12.) Pestilence- Doctrine

I'll keep this one short and sweet, Amazing music, shitty almost unbearable vocals.

4/10

13.) Novembers Doom- Aphotic

Simply the greatest Doom/Death Metal album of 2011. There is as much beauty as their is despair on this album. The music is top notch and the vocals are the best they have ever been. It constantly changes like Opeth from Death Metal heavy to acoustic beauty., but all in it's own way. To me, it's a Masterpiece. Novembers Doom's finest work!

10/10

14.) Amon Amarth- Sutur Rising

It's funny how all the Death metal albums are getting lumped together in this list. Amon Amarth put out an album that doesn't sound like the rest of their songs, granted there are similarities, but Sutur Rising adds something different that hasn't been there before. It's hard to describe. Also to note this marks the first time there is clean vocals on an Amon Amarth album, for the System Of Down cover of Arials. Later down the line this will be noted as one of their finest albums.

8/10

15.) Daniel Jakubovic- Elef Kirot

This will be going down in my top 5, if not higher, albums of 2011. This album has absolutely everything I want in an album...expect vocals in English. But even though the lyrics are in Hebrew, It makes me sing a long to every word. The music constantly goes from Proggy to Poppy to Rockin' to Acoustic. All instruments done by the man himself. This is what Progressive Music needs to be, just hopefully next time in English.

10/10

16.) Destruction- Day of Reckoning

Germany's finest Thrash Metal band is back. While once again pointing out it is just straight up Thrash Metal, It is so damn good. It makes you want to bang your head on every song. The musicianship is spectacular, while sometimes the lyrics can be taken as cheesy, I don't pay attention to that. When it comes to Thrash, the music comes first, and these guys pull it off.

8/10

17.) Blackguard- Firefight

I first heard these guys opening for Nevermore on Halloween night. They are the other 2 Pirate Metal bands around besides Alestorm (Swashbuckle being the other, at least in in notoriety). Blackguard is a much more Thrash orientated Metalcore band. While the album does feature a lot of great songs, live it does not come out the same, due to the lack of Synths, which is heavily featured on the album. To me, it feels a lot lacking on the album. Nothing too much sticks out to me, other then just the overall style. It's worth checking out, but I prefer Alestorm.

6/10

18.) Primordial- Redemption At The Puritan's Hands

I can't believe I didn't discover these guys until this year. This is the perfect epic Metal. Irish Folk Battle Metal with a vocal style similar to Blind Guardian, with the occasional scream. The album is perfection from start to finish musically. And the vocals, holy shit the vocals are amazing. This is one of the bands I hope to one day see, despite the lack of U.S. touring. Maybe one day.

10/10

19.) Water And Bodies- Light Year

Water and Bodies is a great band that came form the dissolution of the Progressive Rock band, Kaddisfly. The music is a bit more alternative, then Kaddisfly but in a way, it is very similar. It is very catchy and enjoyable all the way through. While I one day hope for the return of Kaddisfly, Water And Bodies will more then hold my interest. for a break from the Metal, this is an album that will sooth the soul.

7/10

20.) Red Fang- Murder The Mountains

The return of Kyuss, with entirely different members and a different name. Red Fang is single handedly going to bring back Stoner Metal to the forefront on the upcoming Mayhem Festival. Their second album is chalk full of memorable Kyuss style riffs and the Stoner Metal style that left the mainstream and went into the doom Metal vein. Once again pointing it out, if you miss Kyuss, check out Red Fang, you won't be disappointed.

7/10

That should be it for now, tomorrow will bring part 4

larvtard
06-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm confused as to how anybody can tolerate the new Lazarus A.D. My problem with it isn't that it's not thrash, my problem with it is that it sucks.

jd091
06-05-2011, 03:49 PM
New Scale the Summit and/or Human Abstract? :snivel:

MPF
06-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm confused as to how anybody can tolerate the new Lazarus A.D. My problem with it isn't that it's not thrash, my problem with it is that it sucks.

Agree to disagree I guess.

:eyes:

New Scale the Summit and/or Human Abstract? :snivel:

They'll be coming up. They haven't hit yet on my iTunes, but once they do, they'll be here.

jhdeity
06-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Yeah I'm with Logan here. I like 2 songs tops. Maybe my expectations were too high but to rate that cd over Havok is a real head scratcher to me. That is the exact cd I was expecting out of Lazarus and got their version of Souls of Black instead.

MPF
06-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah I'm with Logan here. I like 2 songs tops. Maybe my expectations were too high but to rate that cd over Havok is a real head scratcher to me. That is the exact cd I was expecting out of Lazarus and got their version of Souls of Black instead.

I like Souls Of Black.

jhdeity
06-05-2011, 08:42 PM
I like Souls Of Black.

Yeah I like 3 songs on that album but the title track might be my least favorite Testament song ever written. Every time I hear that chorus my IQ drops 5 points. Just dumb, dumb, dumb lyrics laid over a boring riff.

The problem I have with new Lazarus is when I 1st saw them I described them to people as Kill Em All era Metallica meets The Legacy era Testament. So yeah I was expecting a Ride The Lightning/The New Order progression and instead I got Souls of Black/Load. Not good.

MPF
06-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah I like 3 songs on that album but the title track might be my least favorite Testament song ever written. Every time I hear that chorus my IQ drops 5 points. Just dumb, dumb, dumb lyrics laid over a boring riff.

The problem I have with new Lazarus is when I 1st saw them I described them to people as Kill Em All era Metallica meets The Legacy era Testament. So yeah I was expecting a Ride The Lightning/The New Order progression and instead I got Souls of Black/Load. Not good.

It's probably because I used to cover Souls of Black, and it was my first Testament song, that I like the album so much, then again, I love every Testament album.

MPF
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
It's Monday, so it's time for part 4. The forthiest part so far.

1.) While Heaven Wept- Fear Of Infinity

While looking at the band title, many at first glance will picture this band as Christian Emo band. That is not the case. While Heaven Wept does something that was nearly thought impossible, be a Power Doom Metal band. As much fast double bass Power Metal is shown, so is Doom Metal (with Clean vocals). This band really took me surprise when I found about them. The music keeps your interest and never lets go. This is one of the bands I really hopes breaks through this year, they deserve it.

8/10

2.) Ocoai- The Electric Hand

It's been a while since I heard a Post Metal band really capture my interest through a whole album. Ocoai managed to accomplish that with The Electric Hand. There is elements of Pelican, Isis, Mastodon, Torche all over but making it all fit in their own unique way. It's not the stereotypical Droney Post Metal, there is much more substance and dynamics. If you are looking to get into Post Metal, this is a great starter album, it will capture you're interest from start to finish.
7/10

3.) Foo Fighters- Wasting Light

I've been an on again off again Foo Fighters fan for years. For me, They haven't released an album that had more then 4 good songs since The Colour And The Shape. They FINALLY made an album that accomplish that with Wasting Light. From the Rush style of Rope, to the Moterhead style of White Limo. All the wile still keeping a fresh, catchy Rock vibe. I'm glad to see the Foo Fighters are still capable of doing that in more then just a EP's worth of good songs.

8/10

4.) Onslaught- Sounds Of Violence

Another great Thrash band on the list. Their 5th album, Sounds Of Violence is another great spin on bringing classic Thrash with a 2011 filter. It brings references of Slayer, Warbringer and Death Angel all over in their own brand. It's great to see Thrash bands who were dead come back to life to bring such great music to the table. Onslaught more then followed through on this album.

7/10

5.) Beardfish- Mammoth

Beardfish is one of the greatest underrated/under-appreciated Progressive Rock bands going right now. Their blend of 60's/70's Progressive Rock with a bit of a modern tinge is exactly what Prog Rock needs right now. Mammoth definitely delivers that and then some. The album varies all over with hints of Zappa, Rush, Yes, while mixed a bit with modern prog like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and a tad bit of Opeth. This definitely has my vote for the best Progressive Rock album of 2011. It covers everything a genuine Prog fan wants.

9/10

6.) Liturgy- Asthethica

This is a very strange Black Metal band. It's almost as if they take a Noise Rock/Alternative Metal project, added some Prog to it, then layered Black Metal vocals and Blast beats over it. Another comparison is if Krallice and Nachtmystium and Hella started a project. It's a bit jarring a first to listen to. a real "WHAT THE FUCK" kinda band. I oddly like it because it is so strange and different, after a couple listens things start to make more sense. This own't end up in my top 20, or even lower, but it is a good excuse to trying something completely different.

6/10

7.) Boris- Heavy Rocks

The fourth and Final Boris album on this list (at least until I hear they are writing and releasing more music this year). Heavy Rocks brings back the sound that made me get into Boris, Psychedelic Punk, Stoner, Metal. While not as heavy as their original albums, Heavy Rocks still stands as an absolutely badass album. For a great Brutal album (clean vocals by the way) with a 60's rock tinge. Pick up Heavy Rocks.

9/10

8.) TesseracT- One

I believe this is the only Djent band on my list. For those who don't follow Djent, the way I describe it is "Meshuggah with Melody." Tesseract is a phenomenal band that takes Djent and gives is a better Progressive Metal flavor to it. Much more clean vocals then other bands and bit more ambient and electronic at times. A very outerspace feel through out. One is one of the finest debut albums I have heard from any band. For those looking for a new band of a "trend" that is actually starting their own trend out of it, check out TesseracT's One.

10/10

9.) Deicide- To Hell With God

Classic Death Metal, Deicide always keeps their Death Metal/"I Hate Christianity" aspect on every album. Obviously, To Hell With God, is no different. Straight pull no punches Death Metal with some great solos and songwriting over Glen Benton's Patoned voice. Not the best Death Metal album this year, that still goes to Autopsy until something else comes out this year, but To Hell With God easily takes 2nd place.

7/10

10.) A Storm Of Light- As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade

A very great Isis/Mastodon-esque Post Metal band, A Storm Of Light brings a very heavy, grungey spin on Post Metal. While the album is pretty much straight forward Post Metal, it's dynamics, changes, and overall songwriting keeps you interested not wanting to change to the next track. Overall, just a really damn good, heavy Post Metal album.

7/10

11.) Hate Eternal- Phoenix Among The Ashes

I never liked a full Hate Eternal album until now. Pure Brutal Death Metal the way it is meant to be played. Every song is just as brutal as the next. When you are pissed off, it's a great album to unleash your aggression. Now a days in 2011, that is becoming more and more. Check this out!

9/10

12.) Scale The Summit- The Collective

The perfect Instrumental Progressive Metal album. So much talented songwriting, amazing Melodies and Harmonies, overall perfection in my eyes. It is a march darker album then their two previous albums, but it adds a whole new element that I know they have been dying to show off. To me that is what makes a band better is by showcasing all of your skill and creativity. Scale The Summit pulled it off Flawlessly with The Collective. BUY IT NOW!

10/10

13.) VYGR- Hypersleep

Pronounced (Voyager), VYGR is another great spacey Post Metal band. As if someone combined Isis and Cynic. Their album is an outstanding example of what happens when you really put your time into an album. It is so atmospheric and heavy. Its the perfect music to listen to when you are looking up into space at night. Like bands like Alcest, it sends you into a whole new world. If this is what happens on a debut album, expect HUGE things on their next release. Absolutely stellar!

9/10

14.) Last Chance To Reason- Level 2

Video Game Metal. Not like Power Glove. It's original Technical, Progressive Death Metal. As if Cynic wrote a soundtrack to Halo. Their previous work I had a bit of a hard time getting into because of all the Deathcore elements, but Level 2 to is much more Proggy and focused. These guys are going to be a force to be reckon with, they will prove this on the upcoming Animals As Leaders tour.

9/10

15.) Polkadot Cadaver- Sex Offender

Polkadot Cadaver came from the Ashes of one of the best Avant Garde Metal bands of the 90's/2000's, Dog Fashion Disco. Their second release, Sex Offender, carries off where the debut left off. Very electronic, but even more Dog Fashion Disco sounding then before. Every song is simply catchy, whether it is heavy, or electronica sounding. I one day hope Dog Fashion Disco can get back together and tour once again, until that day, I hope Polkadot cadaver can actually tour.

7/10

16.) Enslaved- The Sleeping Gods

This FREE EP has everything an Enslaved fan could want. 2 classic Enslaved songs, an eerie atmospheric instrumental, A classic Prog sounding song, and a doomy heavy closer. Tied with Between The Buried And Me's newest EP, this is EP of the year for me. And I couldn't be happier they are taking Alcest and Ghost with them on their upcoming North American Tour. I can't miss it.

10/10

17.) Times Of Grace- Hymn Of The Broken Man

The best Killswitch Engage album never made. It is really Killswitch Engage with a bit of Post Rock added. 3/5 of the original KSE are in the touring lineup of Times Of Grace, and I can honestly say it sounds better then anything KSE has done in the past. I have always dug Jesse's vocals, to me they are better then Howard Jones, sorry....they are! I'd love to see these guys live, even if they don't throw a KSE cover in.

8/10

18.) Alter Of Plagues- Mammal

I really hate saying this, but Alter Of Plagues really disappointed me with this one. Their previous work is mindblowing, Mammal feels...boring. Of course like in any Post Black Metal band it does have its moments of impact, but this doesn't nearly have enough. It's very Droney and subdued in a unemotional way. Maybe after a another listen or two I can maybe dig it more, but as of now, it's too uninspired for my taste.

4/10

19.) Mogwai- Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

The way I feel about Mogwai, when they are on, THEY ARE ON. But when they are off, they are really off. To me, this album has both of that. Some of their best work and some of their worst. I guess you can say this is an average album for Mogwai overall because the Ying and Yang are equal. It's a shame considering I love their last album, The Hawk is Howling. Not to say there isn't some great music on here, there is, but the bad songs overshadow it by far. Also their 22 minute bonus track, is pure atmospheric, not bad if it's not long, but 22 MINUTES? no thanks.

5/10

20.) Hotel Of The Laughing Tree- Terror And Everything After

One of the most original sounding rock bands I have heard in a long time. And my token Non-Metal album of the year. Every song is pure excitement and enjoyment. Catchy as hell and inspired. Something very hard to find in a Indie Rock band now a days. It does have some heavy moments, but I prefer this album for it's original style and going out of the norm. I would love to see these guys live someday if they ever hit Minnesota. But until then, if you are a fan of great overall music, check this one out for sure.

10/10

That concludes part 4. Part 5 (which may end up the last part until the end of the year) will be coming up tomorrow. until then ENJOY!

MPF
06-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Here it is, part 5 and last part of the first half of the year. 26 albums and EPs here. This is along one so let's get it started.

1.) Hell- Human Remains

Ok, so already by the band name and album title it instantly makes you think of Brutal Death Metal. NOT AT ALL! This is 80's New Wave Of British Heavy Metal brought back to life. Although forming in 1982, Human Remains is the first album from the band. The band broke up in 1987 and shortly after singer, Dave G. Halliday, committed suicide. In 2010 The band got back together and started working on what became Human Remains. The music is very NWOBHM in the best way possible. THIS is the music that needs to come back. As much as I love the New Thrash Revival going on right now, it takes a band like Hell to really showcase the music that needs a return. Hell did it right on this album. It is 80's Metal perfection that was released in 2011. BRAVO!

9/10

2.) Scar Symmetry- The Unseen Empire

You can basically take my review for Darkest Hour's The Human Romance, and replace it with Scar Symmetry. I never thought I'd be into these guys again, but I was sooooooo proven wrong with The Unseen Empire. This is a damn good album from start to finish. I guess it took an album and losing their best feature of the band (The vocals) for them to get back on the right track. But it worked. I just hope they can keep this quality of songwriting up.

8/10

3.) Neal Morse- Testimony 2

I constantly say this. I listen to as much Christian Progressive Rock as I do Satanic Death Metal. It's about good music, not the lyrical message to me. Music is not going to make me follow god, or burn churches in the name of Satan, I walk the path I walk, But anyways back to the music. Testimony 2, is obviously the sequel to Neal Morse's Testimony. The music is very good. It's a great concept album. But like every Neal Morse album, the message and storyline is practically the same. Not that that's a bad thing. AC/DC and Slayer have been doing that for years. But it would be nice to write different concept albums about the message. the musicality is always great, very Spock's Beard style Progressive Rock, which I love. The bonus track Seeds Of Gold Is one of the coolest pieces of Music I've heard (at 25 minutes of length as well). Overall, it's worth checking out for the music alone if you are into Prog Rock and if you don't mind the message. It's worth checking out.

7/10

4.) Anaal Nathrakh- Passion

What an album to come up on random after Testimony 2. The exact opposite of Neal Morse. Absolutely insane Technical and Brutal Death Metal, with oddly enough a lot of clean vocals. The music is spastic as all hell, but very enjoyable. I can tell it takes a strong breed of people to be able to handle Anaal Nathrakh's music. But if you can it is a Death Metal musical journey.

7/10

5.) EkoTren- The Dead Of Night

EkoTren is a hard band to pinpoint. I guess Alternative Metal is a good reference? They have a very cool sense of having brutal verses with very melodic Choruses. Yes that might sound like Metalcore, but there is more substance to it then just simply Metalcore. Compared to their debut album, The Dead Of Night is a bit more Hard Rock influenced as well. Overall it is a very catchy enjoyable, heavy album. Well worth a listen.

6/10

6.) Belphegor- Blood Magik Necromance

Belphegor is a Blackened Death Metal band that is just plain BRUTAL! Every song is just as chaotic, symphonic and evil as the last. I still believe Behemoth is the best band in all of Blackened Death Metal, Belphegor is definitely in the top 3. They aren't exactly a band I'd normally listen to on normal occasions, but this album is one that works perfect when you need something to release your aggression on. It will also hold purpose until Behemoth gets ready to take over the world once again later this fall.

7/10

7.) This Will Destroy You- Tunnel Blanket

BOOOOORING! I'm sorry, just like Explosions in The Sky earlier, nothing really happens in this album. Over 3/4 of the album is keyboard synth soundscapes. When the rest of the band kicks in it only adds a little bit of excitement until it goes away again. I don't get it Post ROck/Post Metal Bands can do it right, Doom Metal bands can do it right, but when add the two together, you get the new album from This Will Destroy You, which you think would be amazing if your fan of either genre. But it way to heavy on soundscape and not enough on creating an enjoyable album. Much to my dismay. I think they are capable of writing good music, I hope they will again on their next album, more then just 3 tracks.

4/10

8.) Obscura- Omnvium

Simply put the best damn Progressive/Technical Death Metal album of 2011. I will be hard pressed to find anything that will come close. Obscura has been getting more and more proggy on every album and Omnvium is the perfect mixture for me. Every song is perfection to me, and I can't wait to see them open for Devin Townsend July 5th. Buy this album the second you get a chance. This is what Progressive/Technical Death Metal is suppose to sound like!

10/10

9.) Pagan's Mind- Heavenly Ecstasy

Pagan's Mind, the best sounding Dream Theater band that is nothing like Dream Theater band around. Pagan's Mind is the band a lot of hardcore DT wishes Dream Theater sounded like after Awake. Dream Theater is my favorite band of all time, but it very hard to disagree. The add a great blend of Progressive Metal, Power Metal, and Classic Rock. For those who think there is something missing in Progressive Metal, needs to check out Pagan's Mind. Such a great showcase of songwriting and overall musical power.
9/10

10.) Cave In- White Silence

Post Hardcore heroes Cave In are back together and are back to being Metal. I had no idea Cave In got back together until I heard this album was released. I immediately got it and spun it. It is such a fantastic album from start to finish. Post Hardcore, Metalcore and Post Rock all mixed together into the band known as Cave In. These guys were desperately needed to come back into music. If they had never broken up, I swear a lot of crap music out there wouldn't be here. For those adventurous enough to give REAL Post Hardcore a chance, check out Cave In's White Silence. it is so damn good.

8/10

11.) Angel Vivaldi- Universal Language

The best instrumental Progressive/Djent Metal band this side of Animals As Leaders. This solo project now features ex Mutiny Within drummer, Bill Fore, who absolutely Slays on this 4 track EP. like the two bands I just mentioned, the music is a mixture of Animals As Leaders and Mutiny Within. While staying on the East coast for now, I hope this explodes and becomes huge, it's absolutely Mindblowing!

9/10

12.) Wolf- Legions Of Bastards

Wolf is a great overall Heavy Metal band. They really draw their influences of Judas Priest, Saxon, and other great NWOBHM bands. While the album is very straight forward Heavy Metal, it is a great listen and brings you back to the golden days of Metal. For those who need to relive the good days, check out Legions Of Bastards!

7/10

13.) The Haunted- Unseen

Wow, what a piece of shit record this is. I'm sorry but there's no other way to describe it. It's like Halford's Made Of Metal last year, ONE decent song, and the rest is pure garbage. The Haunted went from being on the forefront of the Swedish Melodic Death Metal scene to sounding like the band Nickelback and Five Finger Death Punch would be. There's only one way to describe it. PURE SHIT!

1/10 (only for the one good song on the album)

14.) Riverside- Memories In My Hand

Taking a very similar approach as Between The Buried And Me, Riverside is releasing an EP this year to go along with a concept album to be released next year. Riverside is the band of what happens when you mix Dream Theater, Opeth, and Porcupine Tree together. their first few albums, I had a really hard time getting into but as of late they have been writing an original sounding style that doesn't sound like amashup of the aforementioned bands. This 3 track EP is very, VERY good. Very mellow overall but it's original and flows together very nicely. I'm excited to hear What Riverside will be giving us next year!

8/10

15.) Devin Townsend- Ghost

The most beautiful album Devin Townsend has put out. That's all that needs to be said.

10/10

16.) Woods Of Desolation- Torn Beyond Reason

Possibly the greatest Blackened Post Metal band besides Alcest. Woods Of Desolation does it right. The atmosphere, the songwriting, the ideal of despair mixed with that eerie sense of hope. It's the perfect music to put on when you want to escape from everything, while it will be a depressing escape, its a great sense of musicality that needs to be taken. Buy This Album!

10/10

17.) Children Of Bodom- Relentless Reckless Forever

Damn the album title says it all, that sounds like it is Relentless and goes on Forever. This album is atrocious, there's just no other way to say it. So bland and boring. So what if Alexi can shred? If you don't have good song behind it, it sucks. Anything else to say about this album is just repeating myself. Check out their old albums, that's where it's at. Anything past Are You Dead Yet? Don't waste your time.

3/10

18.) Vreid- V

One of the finest Black Metal bands going right now. They aren't the stereotypical sounding Black Metal band, they are much more. Almost as if Iron Maiden's approach to Black Metal. V is the first album I have checked out from Vreid, but if this is the quality of music they put out, I'll be checking out all their previous albums. This is what Black Metal should sound like.

8/10

19.) The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra- All Out Of Peaches

Possibly the most left of center band on the entire list. Instrumental Orchestral Jazzy Blues Country Progressive Rock. I don't know of any other way to describe them. The album takes you through so many twists and turns leaving you wanting more. Which is my only complaint about the album. It feels a bit too varied at times. I'm hoping for the next album it will be a bit more consistent, rather the just a hodgepodge of genres. Other then that, fantastic album.

7/10

20.) Falkenbach- Tiurida

Falkenbach is what I consider to be if Agalloch went straight Folk Metal. This album is so fantastic from start to finish. That's really as fair of a review as I can give, if you like the Folk Metal side of Agalloch, you will LOVE Falkenbach's Tiurida!

9/10

21.) The Human Abstract- Digital Veil

The Human Abstract has been the baby brother to Between The Buried And Me and Protest The Hero. Not getting the same notoriety, but has the same level of chops. That said....these guys haven't really impressed me since their debut album. Digital Veil seems a bit bland and just like all the other technical Metal bands that are starting to come from bands who want to ripoff Meshuggah and Cynic. Granted that if I didn't know of Between The Buried And Me, I'd love these guys, but I do, so I really don't. I had hope for them back on their debut album, Nocturne, but not since.

5/10

22.) Wo Fat- Noche Del Chupacabra

Wo Fat takes 60's/70's jam bands and mixes it with Stoner Metal. In a sense it's taking Alan Parson's Frankenstein and having Clutch cover it and add their own variations however they see fit. This a phenomenal Stoner Metal band that just started to spring up. the 15 minutes self titled closer is perfect in every sense of the word. If you wanna get high without drugs, check out Wo Fat!

8/10

23.) Krallice- Diotima

Krallice is a Black Metal band that is not Black Metal. It is very hard to properly describe these guys and make it have sense without listening to them. While the tremolo picking and blast bats are there with the Black Metal screams, nothing else about it Black Metal. It's Avant Garde to a T. I'm not sure if I like or hate this album, but I'm oddly attracted to it and can't stop listening to it when I have it on. Its definitely an album that you have to take a chance with to have it make sense.

6/10

24.) Matterhorn- Vol. 1: The World Began Without Man

Possibly my favorite discovery from a band I know absolutely nothing about until this year. Their debut EP is simply awesome. Mastodon meets Torche. It's the only proper way to describe it. Check it out, I know You'll dig it too.

9/10

25.) Between The Buried and Me- The Parallax: The Hypersleep Dialogues

The 30 minute Mini Album from BTBAM to go with the full length album coming out next year. This EP, is FLAWLESS! In my eyes, BTBAM has only gotten better over time and every album surpasses the one before it.I even dare say this is their finest work to date. Lunar Wilderness is by far the greatest song they have ever written. While many are scared of what's going to happen in 2012. I know the full length concept sequel to this EP is coming out. That's all I need.

10/10

26.) UnXpect- Fables Of The Sleepless Empire

What a crazy album to end this half of the year. UnXpect is the definition of Avant Gard Metal. They will play ANYTHING they want to in the most fucked up way. But their latest album, is by far the most accessible. It has understandable melodies and harmonies, sections of 4/4 and other standard musical concepts I never expected from UnXpect. But they make it work perfectly. It's the Female fronted version of Fantomas wanted to play Strapping Young Lad.. I love it. this will be the album to make them sucessful, if it doesn't, nothing will.

9/10

So that's it for the first half of 2011. I may update this series in September after all the man, MANY progressive Metal albums come out then with many great albums to come before and after. I hope you've enjoyed it so far.

Thanks again, live long and prosper, stay metal, and any other standard closing you want to add.

SEE YA!

larvtard
06-07-2011, 06:49 PM
23.) Krallice- Diotima

Krallice is a Black Metal band that is not Black Metal.

:lol::lol: Boy, you have a way with words... Well put man.

Also, Anaal Nathrakh isn't brutal death metal. Dunno where you got that from.

MPF
06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
:lol::lol: Boy, you have a way with words... Well put man.

Also, Anaal Nathrakh isn't brutal death metal. Dunno where you got that from.

It's the only way to describe Krallice, besides "Sucks" or "Gay" or "awesome". They are regarded as Black Metal, but at the same time, they aren't. I guess Fucked Up is the way to go. :D

Annal Nathrakh, is really a mixture of all things Metal. I used that because there is a lot of Death Metal elements to their sound. Of course I could say everything they do, and maybe I still should, but I think for someone who doesn't know them, it's a good reference point.

jhdeity
06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Really cool reviews man. I agree with most of them to a T. I like how you didn't "drink the Kool-aid" on certain bands and tell it like it really is. I definitely rate thrash higher than you but other than that I think this is a great guide to expose people to music they should hear if they haven't.

Props for including Polkadot Cadaver also. I think my expectations were too high but I need to give it another listen anyway.

jd091
06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Wow... I have to disagree with you here. I get huge musical boners for the new Krallice and especially the new Human Abstract. Digital Veil is fucking brilliant, man.

MPF
06-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Really cool reviews man. I agree with most of them to a T. I like how you didn't "drink the Kool-aid" on certain bands and tell it like it really is. I definitely rate thrash higher than you but other than that I think this is a great guide to expose people to music they should hear if they haven't.

Props for including Polkadot Cadaver also. I think my expectations were too high but I need to give it another listen anyway.

Thanks man. I feel it's my duty to expose good music to those who need to hear it.

I'll never drink the Kool-Aid, if I did Hollywood Undead would be a good band to me. ;) I grew up an uncool guy, going against the norm, so I love giving the REAL opinions instead of kiss ass articles or bashing because it's cool articles. I like being real.

I think the only reason I didn't rate some of the thrash albums higher is because....well look how many there is? I'd look really biased if I gave all the Thrash albums 8's and 9's.

I love Polkadot Cadaver. Almost as much as Dog Fashion Disco. I like Purgatory Dance Party more, but Sex Offender is a damn good album, although the first half is stronger then the 2nd half.

Wow... I have to disagree with you here. I get huge musical boners for the new Krallice and especially the new Human Abstract. Digital Veil is fucking brilliant, man.

I know where you are coming from with both bands. If I listen to Krallice more, I'll dig it a lot more. IF I keep listening to Digital Veil I'll hate it more. Digital Veil was going to end up in my top 10 until I kept listening to it and not really finding anything there I still dug after 3-4 listens. Sorry man.

NecroRob
06-08-2011, 12:50 AM
19.) Mogwai- Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

The way I feel about Mogwai, when they are on, THEY ARE ON. But when they are off, they are really off. To me, this album has both of that. Some of their best work and some of their worst. I guess you can say this is an average album for Mogwai overall because the Ying and Yang are equal. It's a shame considering I love their last album, The Hawk is Howling. Not to say there isn't some great music on here, there is, but the bad songs overshadow it by far. Also their 22 minute bonus track, is pure atmospheric, not bad if it's not long, but 22 MINUTES? no thanks.

5/10

From the first moment I heard that song I instantly fell in love. I think it's absolutely incredible. It has the same affect on me as say watching 2001: A Space Odyssey does: when I start it I can't turn it off. It makes me really want to see what the art exhibit it was made for looks like...

I also disagree with your assertion about the rest of the album being somewhat bipolar. In curiosity, which songs do you think are good and/or bad?

MPF
06-08-2011, 01:50 AM
From the first moment I heard that song I instantly fell in love. I think it's absolutely incredible. It has the same affect on me as say watching 2001: A Space Odyssey does: when I start it I can't turn it off. It makes me really want to see what the art exhibit it was made for looks like...

I also disagree with your assertion about the rest of the album being somewhat bipolar. In curiosity, which songs do you think are good and/or bad?

Honestly, I love almost every Mogwai Instrumental. When they start adding in the vocals it ruins it for me. Mexican Grand Prix is a great example of that. A song I would have loved if it was instrumental.

I'd list other examples but it is 10 to 5 in the morning. I gotta go to bed.

DethMaiden
06-08-2011, 03:59 AM
18.) Alter Of Plagues- Mammal

I really hate saying this, but Alter Of Plagues really disappointed me with this one. Their previous work is mindblowing, Mammal feels...boring. Of course like in any Post Black Metal band it does have its moments of impact, but this doesn't nearly have enough. It's very Droney and subdued in a unemotional way. Maybe after a another listen or two I can maybe dig it more, but as of now, it's too uninspired for my taste.

4/10

*Altar

Also, you wrong!

mastodon421
06-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Really great reviews man. I don't completely agree with everything you said, but all the reviews really well-written and it shows how passionate you are about music. Also I am really glad someone else likes Last Chance To Reason, they are such an underrated band that really deserves a lot more attention.

Natrlhi
06-08-2011, 05:24 AM
*Altar

Also, you wrong!This. All of it.

MPF
06-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Really great reviews man. I don't completely agree with everything you said, but all the reviews really well-written and it shows how passionate you are about music. Also I am really glad someone else likes Last Chance To Reason, they are such an underrated band that really deserves a lot more attention.

Thanks man. I'm glad to see others notice that.

Last Chance To Reason is amazing I know they are going to be huge someday soon.

*Altar

Also, you wrong!

This. All of it.

I realize know I spelled Altar wrong. I apologize for that. The review though I wont. Their previous stuff is amazing. I only like 1 song of Mammal.....sorry.

moobys37
06-08-2011, 06:39 PM
13.) Novembers Doom- Aphotic

Simply the greatest Doom/Death Metal album of 2011. There is as much beauty as their is despair on this album. The music is top notch and the vocals are the best they have ever been. It constantly changes like Opeth from Death Metal heavy to acoustic beauty., but all in it's own way. To me, it's a Masterpiece. Novembers Doom's finest work!

10/10

While I agree it's a good album, you obviously have not not heard the Loss album.

MPF
06-08-2011, 06:45 PM
While I agree it's a good album, you obviously have not not heard the Loss album.

I don't think I have. I'm always up for hearing new stuff. I'll check it out.

But I will say it will be hard to beat Novembers Doom.

moobys37
06-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't think I have. I'm always up for hearing new stuff. I'll check it out.

But I will say it will be hard to beat Novembers Doom.

Get it, turn every light in your place of living out, and brace yourself.

MPF
06-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Get it, turn every light in your place of living out, and brace yourself.

I'll do that tonight.

But I also got the new Tombs, In Flames, Black Dahlia Murder, and a couple others to check out as well. I'll save Loss last so it can have a good atmosphere.

Thanks for the recommendation! :rocker:

The_jman
06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I love killswitch engage, with both singers, but wow, that times of grace record is amazing. I would never have known about it without your review, thanks man!

The production reminds me of atr's for we are many last year, like it has the same guitar tone and everything. I know adam produced both, but it surprise me, I thought the guitar tone would sound more like killswitch.

MPF
06-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I love killswitch engage, with both singers, but wow, that times of grace record is amazing. I would never have known about it without your review, thanks man!

The production reminds me of atr's for we are many last year, like it has the same guitar tone and everything. I know adam produced both, but it surprise me, I thought the guitar tone would sound more like killswitch.

Thanks man.

Yeah I really do like Times Of Grace. I'm not strictly a Metal guy so I love the Post Rock feel it gives off at times.

As crazy of a bastard Adam D is, he is one hell of a producer.

The_jman
06-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks man.

Yeah I really do like Times Of Grace. I'm not strictly a Metal guy so I love the Post Rock feel it gives off at times.

As crazy of a bastard Adam D is, he is one hell of a producer.
I love his production work. the only album who's production bothers me was the last killswitch album, and he wasn't the sole producer for that one.

MPF
06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I love his production work. the only album who's production bothers me was the last killswitch album, and he wasn't the sole producer for that one.

I had a problem with everything on the last album. It was essentially a pop Hard Rock album. I know it is because Adam D wasn't the only one writing songs. I think it also had to do with the outside producer.

illuminatus917
06-14-2011, 08:28 PM
you obviously have not not heard the Loss album.

Second best album of 2011 so far.

MPF
06-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Second best album of 2011 so far.

After giving it a couple spins, I LOVE this album! I still like Novembers Doom more, but Loss is very damn good!

illuminatus917
06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
After giving it a couple spins, I LOVE this album! I still like Novembers Doom more, but Loss is very damn good!

I haven't listened to Novembers Doom, so I won't say which is better between those two. I will say I think this album is a better doom album than SubRosa's, which I didn't think I'd be saying. But we'll see which one sits better over the next few months.

MPF
06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
I haven't listened to Novembers Doom, so I won't say which is better between those two. I will say I think this album is a better doom album than SubRosa's, which I didn't think I'd be saying. But we'll see which one sits better over the next few months.

I still gotta check out SubRosa as well. I was recommended them as well. I'll be doing that soon.

illuminatus917
06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I still gotta check out SubRosa as well. I was recommended them as well. I'll be doing that soon.

It is a hard choice between Loss and SubRosa. SubRosa's grew on me as I listened to it more, and I love that folk vibe they have going on. Their album is just so unorthodox for a doom album, having violins, female vocals, and one track that's a straight up English folk song.

Right now, I think Loss's is better though, even though it's more traditional-type doom.

The_jman
06-15-2011, 07:35 PM
I had a problem with everything on the last album. It was essentially a pop Hard Rock album. I know it is because Adam D wasn't the only one writing songs. I think it also had to do with the outside producer.
I really liked it at first, I thought it was a different angle, not just the same old thing, but then found myself never really listening to most of it after the first couple weeks.

King Slender
06-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Great thread! Am looking forward to checking out Woods of Desolation and Falkenbach.

illuminatus917
06-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Great thread! Am looking forward to checking out Woods of Desolation and Falkenbach.

If I were you, I'd check out the new Altar of Plagues before Woods of Desolation.

King Slender
06-20-2011, 12:28 PM
If I were you, I'd check out the new Altar of Plagues before Woods of Desolation.

It's on the ever growing list of stuff I need to check out.

illuminatus917
06-20-2011, 12:31 PM
It's on the ever growing list of stuff I need to check out.

I hear ya man.

MPF
06-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks man.

And Altar Of Plagues is a great band. If I heard Mammals before their earlier work, I would love it. I think it would be a good starter album.

But to me, I like Woods Of Desolation and Falkenbach better.

King Slender
07-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Really diggin' Woods of Desolation....thanks for the recommendation!

MPF
07-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Really diggin' Woods of Desolation....thanks for the recommendation!

Not a problem man. I'm glad I could help you out. They are a great band. I'd love to see them live some day.