PDA

View Full Version : Best metal one hit wonder?

jaysadler2
06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
The pop world is full of one hit wonders (Chesney hawkes, Never gonna give you up - usual shit), but struggling to think of a metal band that has only had a one hit wonder?

Any ideas?

Wizzbang11
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Lots of them I'm sure, the problem is that if you are talking about a metal band that is big enough to hit mainstream success with one song, chances are their fanbase if massive in the underground and they would never call said band a "one hit wonder." Hell, Iron Maiden could probably be considered a one hit wonder depending on what charts you are looking at.
I think a better comparison would be one album wonder, since there are many bands that throw out one album and then disappear, but rarely are metal bands a flash in the pan with one song amongst the metal community.

ravenheart
06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Depends what you mean by "hit". If we're talking "hit single" in the wider pop charts sense, then Black Sabbath and Motorhead are one-hit wonders...

jaysadler2
06-03-2011, 09:52 AM
yeah totally agree, should be one album wonder and its due to metal bands coming from the underground as oppsed to bands being moulded for a specific purpose

jaysadler2
06-03-2011, 09:55 AM
After a think, what about these;

Static X - black and white

Spineshank - New disease

OPM - Heaven is a halfpipe (not metal and complete shit i know!)

I know the frontman of static X (wayne) has his own band now and are touring...but just a thought i suppose

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
There were tons of hair metal one hit wonders in the mid-to-late 80's.

larvtard
06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
After a think, what about these;

Static X - black and white

Spineshank - New disease

OPM - Heaven is a halfpipe (not metal and complete shit i know!)

I know the frontman of static X (wayne) has his own band now and are touring...but just a thought i suppose

We're not on the same page here.

Dextrimental
06-03-2011, 03:02 PM
If we are talking of bands who are only known for having that ONE song, then Motorhead jump straight to mind with Ace of Spades. If we are talking about bands who have one huge hit single, then bottom out, that doesn't happen in the metal world, as very rarely do any metal bands have a song popular enough to do that.. One album wonders are better, like Unloco and Sanctity..

Div
06-03-2011, 03:28 PM
how about this then. in the world of metalheads, what bands released some seriously awesome stuff and then never were able to pull it off again?

rjturtle9
06-04-2011, 02:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCLXEzKBsP4&feature=fvst

TonyD
06-04-2011, 03:40 AM
how about this then. in the world of metalheads, what bands released some seriously awesome stuff and then never were able to pull it off again?

Troll answer:

Metallica

Also, whut?

I can't think of much that I would consider a "one hit wonder", but bands often drop off in quality of music.
My theory is that a lot of bands tend to suck after getting relatively popular because once they do, they figure they've found their niche and just keep going in the direction of the one thing that made them popular.

Dextrimental
06-04-2011, 04:02 AM
My theory is that a lot of bands tend to suck after getting relatively popular because once they do, they figure they've found their niche and just keep going in the direction of the one thing that made them popular.

In keeping with that, specially in metal, I find that there needs to be a lifestyle to go with it, like with thrash there was all the drinking and partying, and there needs to be anger and passion behind it as such. Take that away, and you have bands get stale, like Metallica. It comes down to what Dee Snider said, that when writing a new TS record in the mid ninties, he looked around at his pool and yacht, and couldn't write anything angry, cuz he wasn't angry. Its all relative, because theres bands like Testament and Maiden who are still releasing great records.

jaysadler2
06-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Some fair answers, cheers for the replies...just wondering thats all

TonyD
06-04-2011, 12:36 PM
In keeping with that, specially in metal, I find that there needs to be a lifestyle to go with it, like with thrash there was all the drinking and partying, and there needs to be anger and passion behind it as such. Take that away, and you have bands get stale, like Metallica. It comes down to what Dee Snider said, that when writing a new TS record in the mid ninties, he looked around at his pool and yacht, and couldn't write anything angry, cuz he wasn't angry. Its all relative, because theres bands like Testament and Maiden who are still releasing great records.

Thought of that too but I was too tired to elaborate :lol:

JRA
06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I think a better comparison would be one album wonder, since there are many bands that throw out one album and then disappear, but rarely are metal bands a flash in the pan with one song amongst the metal community.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GZCNBjJooyM/St35xwxXsgI/AAAAAAAAAEM/IM_FZEJcy6A/s320/Nespithe1.JPG

Cynic and Terrorizer were this for a while too.

mankvill
06-04-2011, 09:41 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GZCNBjJooyM/St35xwxXsgI/AAAAAAAAAEM/IM_FZEJcy6A/s320/Nespithe1.JPG

Cynic and Terrorizer were this for a while too.

Poor, poor Demilich.

JRA
06-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Poor, poor Demilich.

The fact that their song titles were 20 words long didn't really help them.

HandOfDoom
06-05-2011, 04:32 AM
The fact that their song titles were 20 words long didn't really help them.

"The Planet That Once Used To Absorb Flesh In Order To Achieve Divinity and Immortality (Suffocated To The Flesh That It Desired...)" - 3:17

I totally had to look them up, pretty epic

brutal_descent
06-05-2011, 04:37 AM
"The Planet That Once Used To Absorb Flesh In Order To Achieve Divinity and Immortality (Suffocated To The Flesh That It Desired...)" - 3:17

I totally had to look that up, pretty epic

On the other hand, I think it's pretty kvlt to have long-ass names for songs. :tp:

JRA
06-05-2011, 11:43 AM
On the other hand, I think it's pretty kvlt to have long-ass names for songs. :tp:

Not really.

ShatteredFlame
06-05-2011, 01:04 PM
http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/3da9a512078225907de843793ec4d6dd/o70432.jpg

Same field as Demilich.

Namaste
06-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Hopefully i'll get this right:

Marduk, Cradle of Filth, Eighteen Visions, Hatebreed, Nile

Razor_Shark
06-21-2011, 02:42 AM
Twisted Sister is a good example of a band that had one great album and never did much great after that. Stay Hungry is an amazing straight forward heavy metal record, you have your catchy, poppy, hits in We're Not Gonna Take It and I Wanna Rock, a tear jerking ballad in The Price and a full on metal anthem in Burn In Hell.