PDA

View Full Version : *Nasty Malware infection*

Dextrimental
05-27-2011, 11:43 PM
I just got attacked by a pretty nasty malware called Vista Anti-virus 2011 (its title is suvbject to whatever wincows you are running). It infected my internet and attempted to obtain information from my personal files, all while running virus scans, and than asking me to subscribe for full protection.

Essentially, it puts 32 files in various locations on your computer, then brings them up in a virus scan as harmful. It is impossible to turn off or get away from once it has put itself on your computer.

I used SUPERanti-spyware to stop it, but I had to go through a bunch of different malware and spyware stoppers to do it, as the infection has the power to stop various installations. I also had to go to safe mode on my laptop, as otherwise the infection would render seeking help online useless.

Anyway, I just thought I would throw a thread up here warning about this, as I've heard its relatively new, and didn't want anyone to be fooled by it/panic if it does happen.

NecroRob
05-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I got one of those last year and it was such a bitch to get rid of :mad:

treghet
05-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Glad you got it off your computer. I had something similar to that about a year and a half ago. I ended up having to run off of Ubuntu boot disc and moving all my important files to an external HD and just formatting my HD. Then I came to find that the Windows XP back up disc I had would not re-install. I bought a new computer and gave the old one to my dad and he bought Windows 7 for it. As much of a tedious and painful experience it was, I learned quite a bit from it. Now I'm much safer online and I have a better anti-virus software.

Dextrimental
05-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Glad you got it off your computer. I had something similar to that about a year and a half ago. I ended up having to run off of Ubuntu boot disc and moving all my important files to an external HD and just formatting my HD. Then I came to find that the Windows XP back up disc I had would not re-install. I bought a new computer and gave the old one to my dad and he bought Windows 7 for it. As much of a tedious and painful experience it was, I learned quite a bit from it. Now I'm much safer online and I have a better anti-virus software.

I was gonna re-format my hard drive at first, and send some important documents and pictures to myself over email in safe mode, but I googled it and it came up with the solution. This one isn't as bad as others, but its got a medium threat level so its nothing to be sniffed at all the same, its annoyance factor is its major strength :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
05-28-2011, 03:03 AM
Do a system restore to a few days before this problem started.

ravenheart
05-28-2011, 05:31 AM
I had to clear one of these off my Dad's computer a year or so ago.

ShatteredFlame
05-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Follow this guide: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

The best ever, and then create an account and post the logs they tell you to post and they can pin point exactly where you still have infections.

rjturtle9
05-28-2011, 04:03 PM
I literally got this yesterday! Same thing you mentioned. I used malwarebytes since it wasn't letting me open my Mcafee or internet browsers. Had to run a full scan and found 4 infected files. Just deleted those adn now my computer seems to be running fine.

NecroRob
05-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Do a system restore to a few days before this problem started.

That didn't work for me when I had this virus before...

elturtleboy
05-28-2011, 11:11 PM
mines fucking up my harddrive

Dextrimental
05-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Follow this guide: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

The best ever, and then create an account and post the logs they tell you to post and they can pin point exactly where you still have infections.

Nice, I'm gonna start using that! :D