PDA

View Full Version : ROCK THE BELLS 2011 LINE UP ANNOUNCED! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

Sepultura69
05-26-2011, 12:27 PM
http://rapfix.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/rtb_575.jpg

NAS to perform ILLmatic in its entirety!!! ALL 9 CLASSIC TRACKS
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

GZA THE GENIOUS TO PERFORM HIS EPIC MASTERPIECE "LIQUID SWORDS" FROM start to finish!!!

Mobb Deep to Perform the Infamous :eek:

RAEkwon & Ghost face Kill will perform Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Lauryn Hill - MISEDUCATION OF LAURYN HILL :bliss:

Black Starr(Mos Def & Talib Kweli) to perform their debut(and only album)...BLACK STARR :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

I am getting my tickets for this the moment they go on sale :fist:

ShatteredFlame
05-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Was gonna post this yesterday but decided not too...

Hopefully I can go, the annoying thing is that they put the NYC show 1 week after I start college. I'm not very far away from NYC but I don't know if I'll adjust to transportation in time.

I hope Rage Against the Machine or Beastie Boys get announced! Hell, I'll even take Waka Flocka Flames for the lulz

Lauryn Hill sucks btw. Lately she has been delaying a lot of her gigs and showing up way past start time. Then she turns her original songs into these psychedelic jam type songs because she believes they have to be updated, but she really is talking to the wrong fanbase.

BloodoftheKings
05-26-2011, 01:32 PM
That is one of the greatest hip hop lineups I've ever seen. The only really horrible rapper on that bill is Mac Miller.

mankvill
05-26-2011, 02:20 PM
:eek:

ravenheart
05-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Why does this event have "rock" in the title...?

ChildrenofSodom
05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Goddamn...Immortal Tech, Nas, and Blackstar make whatever the astronomical ticket price almost worth it.

mastodon421
05-26-2011, 04:58 PM
HOLY SHIT, Illmatic is my favorite rap record of all time. I seriously might have to go to this.

TonyD
05-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Why does this event have "rock" in the title...?

Because rock has more than one meaning

Sepultura69
05-27-2011, 12:56 AM
HOLY SHIT, Illmatic is my favorite rap record of all time. I seriously might have to go to this.

Yeah, same here(though I wouldn't necessarily say its my favorite of ALL TIME, but most definitely one of my faves). Illmatic was a big part of my life during my early youth living in the middle east and especially in High school. Every track on that album is flawless. Hell, even the intro *The Genesis* is a great tune even though its only like a minute long. That beat is just sooooooo mellow :cool:

ravenheart
05-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Because rock has more than one meaning

Not establishing in music it doesn't. Festivals with 'Rock' in the title are rock festivals the World over. Bad marketing, right there.

ChildrenofSodom
05-27-2011, 06:49 AM
"To rock", as in, "to rock a bell", probably has a different meaning in the rap community. Its always been a hip-hop festival.

From Urban Dictionary: "To tell someone or many people about something or send out the word about important events or happenings in hopes that others will do the same." Fits the "alternative hip-hop" vibe, imo.

ShatteredFlame
05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
psss bad marketing. This thing has been going on since 2004 with a successful turnout and great lineup every year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_the_Bells

smearCampaign
05-27-2011, 07:55 AM
I really hope they add a TX date to this. What an amazing lineup! Illmatic is most definitely one of the best hip-hop albums of all time.

Fuck! I didn't see that Mobb Deep is doing Infamous, that's insane; another favorite of mine.

Sepultura69
05-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Fuck! I didn't see that Mobb Deep is doing Infamous, that's insane; another favorite of mine.

Same here :fist:

I grew up listening to 99% of these groups/rappers/albums, so the fact that most of these acts are going to be playing their classic albums from beginning to end is just too good of an opportunity for me to miss out.

I should also note that this will be my 5TH ROCK THE BELLS that I will be attending :D

I went to Rock the bells in 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010. So far the Rage Against the Machine/Wu Tang Line up in 2007 still remains as my favorite Rock the bells, such an epic night. With 2008 being a runner up :rocker:

Natrlhi
05-27-2011, 08:28 PM
This festival is called "Rock the Bells" after the old-school rap song by L.L. Cool J.

I'm surprised none of you so-called hip hop experts could put that simple connection together. :rolleyes:

ShatteredFlame
05-27-2011, 08:53 PM
This festival is called "Rock the Bells" after the old-school rap song by L.L. Cool J.

I'm surprised none of you so-called hip hop experts could put that simple connection together. :rolleyes:

It's at the top of the link I posted :)

jhdeity
05-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah Lauren Hill is a total joke. Someone blew smoke up her ass telling her how great she is and it went right to her head. Watching her murder Bob Marley tunes on Fallon or some other late night show was not only blasphemous but ear wrenching. Regardless of who else is on the bill the Rage Against the Machine lineup totally smokes this one for them over Lauren Hill alone.

HandOfDoom
05-28-2011, 10:04 AM
All of Black Sunday.......:drool::drool:

Sepultura69
05-28-2011, 02:01 PM
All of Black Sunday.......:drool::drool:

True indeed, true indeed. :D

But if you ask me I wish they were playing "Temples of Boom" instead of "black sunday". Temples of Boom is Cypress Hills greatest album IMO :cool:

JRA
05-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Last year's lineup was better.

Is anyone beginning to find it kind of sad how the only sets these hip hop legends are allowed to play are just their one classic album? It's not as if they weren't playing the big hits off these songs to begin with.

I am rather interested in Cuban Linx though. Ghost and Rae should pull a Queensryche and do Cuban Linx 1 and 2 in their entirety in the same set.

HandOfDoom
05-30-2011, 04:42 AM
True indeed, true indeed. :D

But if you ask me I wish they were playing "Temples of Boom" instead of "black sunday". Temples of Boom is Cypress Hills greatest album IMO :cool:

Both are easily my favorites by Cypress probably followed by Stoned Raiders, but I think I love Black Sunday just a little bit more, have sooo many great memories listening to it. Although I must say most of BS has been played to death,but my favorite track off it; 3 Lil Putos is rarely played I think. SO Im with you on Temples.

bt11763
05-31-2011, 07:30 AM
definitely keeping an eye on this

ShatteredFlame
06-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Just Announced:

Common - Performing "Be"

Doom (Miles Dumile)

Killah Priest - Performing "Heavy Mental"

Erykah Badu - Performing "Baduizm"

Boy Jones (ODB's Son)

mastodon421
06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Just Announced:

Common - Performing "Be"

Doom (Miles Dumile)

Boy Jones (ODB's Son)

Doom is there too?:drool: Oh my god, I think this just went from a maybe attending to a yes.

bt11763
06-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Just Announced:

Common - Performing "Be"

Doom (Miles Dumile)

Boy Jones (ODB's Son)

fuuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkk

Sepultura69
06-09-2011, 01:48 AM
They should get Method Man on that bill and he should perform his debut classic "TICAL". I mean why not? They already Got Gza doin liquid swords, Rae and goes doin Cuban Linx, Masta Killa Doin NO SAID DATE :cool:

Lot of Great Bangers on that Album. PLO Style, Tical, Meth Vs Chef, Bring the Pain. The list goes on :cool:

A 94' classic :fist:

ShatteredFlame
06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
ah damn NYC doesn't get Common, we get Erykah Badu.

ROCK THE BELLS NYC Lineup
Nas
Ms. Lauryn Hill
Erykah Badu
Cypress Hill
Black Star
Raekwon
Ghostface Killah
Mobb Deep
GZA
Immortal Technique
Doom
Slaughterhouse
Big K.R.I.T.
Souls Of Mischief
Black Moon
Childish Gambino
Fashawn
Blu
Exile
Random Axe
Masta Killa
Evidence
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Freddie Gibbs
Roc Marciano
Killah Priest
RZA
Murs
Supernatural
Boy Jones

--
ROCK THE BELLS SF Lineup
Ms. Lauryn Hill
Nas
Cypress Hill
Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star
Raekwon and Ghostface
Mobb Deep
Genius/GZA
Immortal Technique, Slaughterhouse, Mac Miller, Curren$y, Big K.R.I.T.
Black Moon
Souls of Mischief
Childish Gambino, Blu, Exile, Fashawn
Masta Killa
Freddie Gibbs, Roc Marciano
Hosted by The RZA, Murs 3:16, Supernatural
More acts to be announced!

Sepultura69
06-13-2011, 03:09 PM
so apparenlty tickets are from 70,80 to 100 bones!!! I will be getting my ticket sometime next when I get my paycheck. Anyone else on these boards gonna head to any of the dates?(NY, the bay ect?). I will be hitting the August 20th San bernadino date :rocker:

For me, the main people that I intend to see and not miss are

Mobb Deep, black starr, Cypress Hill, Freddie Gibbs, GZA THE FUCKING GENIOUS, Ghost and Rae, NASTY NAS DOIN ALL OF ILLMATIC, Masta Killa, Killa Priest, SLAUGHTER HOUSE, SOULS OF MISCHIEF doin all of 93 till infinity, the rest is pretty much make it or miss it for me, but those are the top contenders that I must see :rocker:

mastodon421
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I am going to try my hardest to go to the Boston date on September 10th. The tickets are really expensive, but the chance to see Nas, Doom, Mobb Depp, Immortal Technique,Black, GZA, Ghostface Killah, and Rakewon might be too good to pass up.

ShatteredFlame
06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I dont think i can go to the nyc date due to college but ill try

Sepultura69
08-19-2011, 11:51 PM
JUST GOT MY TICKET A COUPLE OF HOURS AGO :D :rocker:

The show is only in less then 14 hours from now :fist:

Goin with some good oll' friends from highschool, should be a grand time. The only down fall is Nas and GZA are playing around the exact same time :(

ShatteredFlame
08-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Goin with some good oll' friends from highschool, should be a grand time. The only down fall is Nas and GZA are playing around the exact same time :(

Yeah that seems to be the case in Boston too which makes me not wanna go, cause those are the two I wanna see most.

For NYC it's Nas or Mobb Deep or MF Doom which is probably the dumbest decision considering they are probably the biggest draws.

mastodon421
08-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Nas, Doom, and GZA are playing at the same time in Boston. Thankfully, I am not going. It's horse shit that the 3 best acts on the bill are playing at the same time.

Sepultura69
08-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Just got back from the show. It was fucking epic. The only downfall is that I ended up missing Nas to see GZA for the fourth time. Not so much that I didn't wanna miss Nas, its just that we ended up being on the rail and me and my friends didnt really wanna risk leaving for nas cause we knew we wouldnt be as close as we were to the acts if we decided to leave our spot on the front rail(It got really deep and packed with people after 5 pm).

Masta Killa was the best act that entire day. He looked old as fuck but he sounded like he was 21. Jesus Christ. Fucking epic. Same with Blackmoon, they played their entire classic "ENTA DA STAGE" album with no interruptions. Mobb deep was the worst act out of everyone we saw. They sounded horrible and uninspired. Oh well. Raekwon and Ghostface were great aswell. They didnt play the entire cuban linx album. Only like 6 or 7 songs which was pretty lame but the most important part of all is that they played "HEAVEN AND HELL" which was what I was looking forward to hearing through out that entire day and night. That song is a fucking classic.

I liked how all 3 stages were set up. Unfortunately we never went to the mainstage (which had Nas, Lauryn Hill, Common, Black Starr ect) or 2nd Stage which was the paid dues stage. Me and my friends only stayed on the 3rd stage which was dubbed The 36 CHAMBER Stage(which had Gza, Masta Killa, ghost face & Raekwon, Black Moon, mob deep). Still, we had a blast. Mass Blunts, Mass brew and mass hip hop in our ear drums for 10 hours. Good night folks, I'm beat..I got work in less then 6 hours and I need my beauty rest.

:rocker:

Sepultura69
08-22-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sm2retX5co

Video from the show on saturday during Gzas performance of "I got your back" off his Liquid Swords Album. At around 28 seconds into the video you can clearly see me in the front going fucking crazy, jumping up and down swingin my arms around, ahahahha, even head banging a little :lol:

For those wondering, I'm in the very front center with mildly long hair(probably the only guy with long hair in that front). Gza even acknowledges our existince by chilling there and even bending down next to us to rap because we were going the craziest :rocker:

good times :fist:

BloodoftheKings
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Good shit sep, try to put a set up for us. Did you see MF Doom?

Sepultura69
08-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Good shit sep, try to put a set up for us. Did you see MF Doom?

He didn't show up. Bailed out like usual :(

ShatteredFlame
08-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah fuck Doom. I dont know how people continue to support his live acts with all the shit he pulls.

adamclark52
08-22-2011, 11:30 PM
If the posters font size is 16 Ghostfaces name should be set to 28 at least.

mastodon421
08-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Yeah fuck Doom. I dont know how people continue to support his live acts with all the shit he pulls.

Because he is too fucking good to get mad at.

ShatteredFlame
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
http://www.last.fm/user/IdolThreat/journal/2010/02/15/3f3hym_mos_definitely_notdoom

I dunno sending "imposters" to perform in his place and claiming it's part of his character has to be one of the shittiest moves I've ever seen.

btw Sepultura69 what did Dooms absence do to the schedule? They should be able to change something.

BloodoftheKings
08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Do they have any videos of the imposters?

mastodon421
08-23-2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.last.fm/user/IdolThreat/journal/2010/02/15/3f3hym_mos_definitely_notdoom

I dunno sending "imposters" to perform in his place and claiming it's part of his character has to be one of the shittiest moves I've ever seen.

btw Sepultura69 what did Dooms absence do to the schedule? They should be able to change something.

I really don't know why he does that. It is quite obnoxious.

BloodoftheKings
08-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I really don't know why he does that. It is quite obnoxious.

The 2 reasons that are always given are:

1. He's the super villain.
2. He doesn't want to perform for people who steal his music.

Sepultura69
08-24-2011, 02:11 AM

I wouldn't know since I was just chilling in the front rail for 85% of show at the 3rd Stage which was titled The 36 CHAMBERS Stage. I just heard from one of my good friends who also attended the show that he didnt show up on the 2nd stage which was titled The Paid Dues Stage(the poor sap was over there waiting for doom to come out and bless him with his presence but instead shat on the fans, good thing we all stuck around for the rest of the show at the 36 chambers stage). :lol:

If I recall there was about 4 stages.

The Main Stage. Which had Cypress Hill, Nas, Lauryn Hill, Common, Black Starr, and a couple more)

Stage 2(The Paid Dues Stage): Which had Immortal Technique, Souls of Mischief, Mack Miller, Currency, MF DOOM who ended up being a no show, and a couple more mother fuckers

The 4th stage was titled the grind time stage which didnt really have any rappers. Just a freestyle battle contest for idiots to show off there wick wick wack styles and unoriginal flows.

THE 3RD STAGE(The 36 Chambers Stage): This was the stage that me and my friends stayed for pretty much all of the show. We only went to the main stage to see Cypress Hill play all of their album "Black Sunday" and then we darted back to the 36 chambers stage and stayed there for the remainder of the show. This stage consisted of Gza performing his entire Liquid Swords album which also consisted of a really long encore which him performing all his classics like Clan in Da Front, Alphabets, Beneath the Surface, Reunited ect, Mobb Deep performing all of the infamous, Black Moon performing their entire "Enta Da Stage" Album which was probably one of the highlights of the show for me. That album is a classic that I grew up on during all of my high school and chillin in iran, and to have heard that album in its entirety is something I'll never forget, DJ EVIL D sounded great on the turntables and spins/scratcjes. Masta Kill from the legendary wu tang clan blessed this stage with a very rare solo performance. MK never does solo shows and is also the most underground member in the clan so this was one of our number one priorities on going when we got to the show and that is to see the MASTA. He busted out so many classic Wu joints like "one blood under wu", "Da mystery of chest boxing", "wu Gambino", the list goes on. Ghost and Rae were good but I was very dissapointed that they ditched the plan on playing all of cuban linx from start to finish. Though I was VERY VERY HAPPY to hear "Heaven and hell". That is not only one of my favorite Wu Tang joints, but its also one of my favorite songs of all time, period. So smooth and fucking laid back

Too much typing, ill stop , theres my 50 cents :hecho: