PDA

View Full Version : Disturbed -- Milwaukee, WI -- May 21st, 2011

velvetgrass
05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
So this my first show review here and since I'm not the most experienced review writer I'm sorry if this is boring for some of you.

Where do I start? I just turned 18 on May 6 and my mom got me the tickets as part of my birthday present. I went to the show with a family friend who is moderately interested in Disturbed. He has their first album The Sickness and actually saw them open for the Stone Temple Pilots in 2000.

This was my first Disturbed show and that was very exciting, since they were only the second metal band I got into, the first being System Of A Down who are back together but unfortunately aren't touring the midwestern United States right now.

Anyways, this was an off-date for Disturbed because it was one of the three tour dates they were doing in between the end of the Music As A Weapon V tour and the Mayhem tour which they'll be part of in the summer.

Okay, on to the actual show. It was at The Rave and was scheduled to start at 8:00 while the doors opened an hour earlier. We got there around 7:10 and we found a spot in the balcony because neither of us were interested in venturing into the mosh pit. There were two opening bands, Art Of Dying and Nonpoint.

Art Of Dying came on a minute before the scheduled show starting time and played a 39 minute set from 7:59-8:38. I only knew one of their songs which was called Die Trying. This was their second time at The Rave this year, the first being on 25 when they were part of the Avalanche Tour which also included Skillet and Stone Sour. I thought they were excellent, although their guitar sound eminded me of the AFI guitar sound. Needless to say I was impressed and will be buying their new album Vices & Virtues on iTunes very soon especially since Adam Gontier, of the band Three Days Grace who I am also a big fan of, has a guest spot on the album. As a matter of fact Adam Gontier is the cousin of the bass player of Art Of Dying, Cale Gontier.

Nonpoint played a 48 minute set from 8:54-9:42. I only knew their cover of the Phil Collins song In The Air Tonight prior to the show which they played at the show. He did announce two other song titles though, so if there are Nonpoint fans reading this I can tell you they also played Alive And Kicking and Crazy. I thought they were an average band, but I did think the singer was a good frontman. He successfully got the audience involved and pumped up for Disturbed.

I barely recognized any of the songs played over the P.A. in between sets last night but that could be because those songs were mixed pretty quiet. But shortly before Disturbed came on, Creeping Death by Metallica was played over the P.A. which I sang along to.

Finally, the moment I came for arrived Disturbed played a 79 minute set from 10:13-11:32. I wrote down the set while I was there and here it is:

Remnants
Asylum
The Game
Prayer
Liberate
The Infection
Land Of Confusion
The Animal
Inside The Fire
Warrior
Another Way To Die
Stupify
Haunted
Ten Thousand Fists

ENCORE:
Indestrucible
Drum Solo
Down With The Sickness

Not surprisingly, Disturbed kicked ass and put on a show of epic awesomeness. I had a fucking awesome time. Regarding the setlist, Haunted was an unexpected surprise and so was the drum solo before Down With The Sickness. The only song I felt that was wrongly excluded from the set was Stricken. Usually I find more than one so that's pretty damn good.

Sanitarium78
05-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Good review for your first one.

They usually do a drum solo before Down With The Sickness. I don't mind Striken not being in the set because they have a lot better to choose from and I think they've relied too much on doing 'greatest hits' sets the last couple times i've seen them. So it's cool to see Haunted and a few new ones like The Infection, Animal and Warrior getting played instead.

The Ghost at Number One
05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Don't sweat it, man. Excellent review. Good work!

The_jman
05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
The infection, warrior, and haunted = awsome, no stricken = sucky.

but overall I would have been happy with that set.

nice first review man.

kevindeets
05-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Nice review, dude. That STP/Disturbed show at US Cellular Arena in 2001 was my freshman year in college (I went to Marquette). That same night at The Rave was Soulfly / Downset / Primer 55 / Slaves On Dope. I was at the Soulfly show, and David Draimen joined Soulfly on stage that night and sang Fred Durst's part to their song "Bleed." That was interesting.

hellawaits77ny
05-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Cool review, thanks man!

coltongsmith
05-22-2011, 09:39 PM
i wish they would keep this on their festival shows, i cant stane their standard generic sets with no surprises, songs like haunted and the infection make it much better when seeing them

NickLed19
05-22-2011, 09:44 PM
No Stricken is bs.

Magson13
05-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Disturbed is easily one of the top five most boring band I've ever seen live.

NickLed19
05-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Disturbed is easily one of the top five most boring band I've ever seen live.

Same. They are in the top 3. Its hard to beat Theory of a Deadman and Chevelle.

JLRedWing13
05-23-2011, 12:25 AM
i wish they would keep this on their festival shows, i cant stane their standard generic sets with no surprises, songs like haunted and the infection make it much better when seeing them
The problem is the festival set has to be about 3-4 songs shorter.

Sanitarium78
05-23-2011, 06:16 AM
The problem is the festival set has to be about 3-4 songs shorter.

Which is exactly why i've grown tired of all these festivals. It's a complete rip off today that you can't see a band who is capable of doing at least 90 mins on their own play for that length.

jd091
05-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the family! :hug:

Now go listen to a real metal band ;)

JLRedWing13
05-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Which is exactly why i've grown tired of all these festivals. It's a complete rip off today that you can't see a band who is capable of doing at least 90 mins on their own play for that length.
Disturbed makes up for that by playing a festival every year. :P

Magson13
05-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Same. They are in the top 3. Its hard to beat Theory of a Deadman and Chevelle.

Chicago and Delbert McClinton beat ToaD and Chevelle.... Putting Disturbed right around the #5 slot for me.......

bobbie solo
05-23-2011, 11:16 PM
try sitting through medeski martin & wood w/lawn tickets at an outdoor amphitheatre. most bored ive ever been

jd091
05-23-2011, 11:26 PM
try sitting through medeski martin & wood w/lawn tickets at an outdoor amphitheatre. most bored ive ever been

wait, WHAT?

MM&W are awesome!

TheClairvoyant
05-24-2011, 02:56 AM
I wonder why they have stopped playing Stricken, they played it when I saw them back in December, however they didn't play The Infection or Warrior, great first review btw.

NickLed19
05-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Stricken is one of my favorite songs by them. I would much rather here it over Liberate or Indestructible.

Magson13
05-26-2011, 01:51 AM

I'm sorry, sir.

Shadowswillfall414
05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Man, these guys need to change there setlists. I mean even when they headline All the play are there singles. I want to hear fear, numb, believe, divide, criminal, and guarded. And there not that bad live, just nothing special.

jd091
05-26-2011, 02:55 PM
And there not that bad live

Where? There, "bad live"? I don't know of this location you speak of.

NickLed19
05-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Man, these guys need to change there setlists. I mean even when they headline All the play are there singles. I want to hear fear, numb, believe, divide, criminal, and guarded. And there not that bad live, just nothing special.

They are boring and David sounds like shit, that makes them bad live.

Shadowswillfall414
05-26-2011, 02:59 PM
They are boring and David sounds like shit, that makes them bad live.

David does sound like shit. But IMO I think he has the ability to sound good but he just gets lazy live.

NickLed19
05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Maybe he will start to step it up when he watches Godsmack destroy them every night this summer.

Shadowswillfall414
05-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Maybe he will start to step it up when he watches Godsmack destroy them every night this summer.

:lol:

daimonos
05-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Maybe he will start to step it up when he watches Megadeth destroy them every night this summer.

Fixed

The Ghost at Number One
05-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe he will start to step it up when he watches Godsmack destroy them every night this summer.The only thing Godsmack has ever been capable of destroying is their own credibility.

jd091
05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
The only thing Godsmack has ever been capable of destroying is their own credibility.

This. And I agree with Daimonos, Megadeth destroys BOTH those bands. And I'm not even a Megadeth fan.

NickLed19
05-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Godsmack puts on a killer live show. Even if you hate them, its a fact.

jd091
05-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Godsmack puts on a killer live show. Even if you hate them, its a fact.

Meh. Its alright.

The Ghost at Number One
05-27-2011, 02:09 AM
Godsmack puts on a killer live show. Even if you hate them, its a fact.I've seen them live. There was nothing killer about it.

NickLed19
05-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Maybe because you are biased against them. I saw it and was not a huge fan of them, and became one after I saw it. I also saw tons of people leaving during Motley, because Godsmack destroyed them. Sully is a great frontman, and Shannon Larkin is an awesome drummer. Bottom line.

brutal_descent
05-27-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm not even a Megadeth fan.

:eek:

jd091
05-27-2011, 10:23 AM
:eek:

I love Slayer and I love Metallica, but I could never get into Megadeth. I just really cannot stand Mustaine's vocals; they annoy the hell out of me.

Wrecking Crew
05-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I love Slayer and I love Metallica, but I could never get into Megadeth. I just really cannot stand Mustaine's vocals; they annoy the hell out of me.

Depending on your age, I can totally understand this. I can't believe the difference between the Rust in Peace original CD and the remastered George Lucas version of it. His vocals have gone way downhill, part of why I will be skipping seeing them this year (the never changing setlist is another).

jd091
05-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Depending on your age, I can totally understand this. I can't believe the difference between the Rust in Peace original CD and the remastered George Lucas version of it. His vocals have gone way downhill, part of why I will be skipping seeing them this year (the never changing setlist is another).

I'm in college now. Back in middle school, Metallica were the first metal band I listened to, and the only I listened to for about 3 years. I didn't get into Slayer until senior year of High School, and have a ton of respect for what they did to metal.

Maybe someday I'll grow to appreciate Megadeth, but I'm not quite there yet. :tp:

JLRedWing13
05-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Mustaine's live vocals are fine. If you don't like them, seeing Megadeth live won't change that, but they're not a deterrent.