PDA

View Full Version : Intriguing article on the downfall of death metal

JRA
05-19-2011, 11:28 AM
http://ritesoftheblackmoon.tripod.com/article8.html

Read it.

treghet
05-19-2011, 12:25 PM
He complains that many bands copied or ripped off each other, yet dislikes bands that tried to expand the boundries of the genre. Death metal has evolved over the years and of course bands like Atheist did not mean to evoke the same feelings and atmosphere that Obituary and Death did. But I do get what he's saying; the genre has gradually lost track of it's roots with bands straying in different directions and changing their sound.

ravenheart
05-19-2011, 12:39 PM
He complains that many bands copied or ripped off each other, yet dislikes bands that tried to expand the boundries of the genre. Death metal has evolved over the years and of course bands like Atheist did not mean to evoke the same feelings and atmosphere that Obituary and Death did. But I do get what he's saying; the genre has gradually lost track of it's roots with bands straying in different directions and changing their sound.

If the genre stayed rooted to its origins, ALL you'd have are bands copying each other.

MPF
05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
This happens in every style. Imagine if all Rock music sounded like Haley and The Comets. or if every rap song sounded like Rapper's Delight.

Hate to quote In Flames here, but they are right, Reroute to Remain!

SomewhereInTime72
05-20-2011, 10:20 AM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuinedFOREVER

JRA
11-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Necromanced because Bloodcurse's list got me to re-read and think. He does have a point though. I mean we all just thought death metal was given it's named because after the retarded masses first heard Death and decided to call anything that sounded like it death metal. But the idea of the sound supposed to be hearing the smell of "decaying flesh and rotting graves" does give the genre more of an identity than my former description.

I vehemently disagree with his assessment of Scott Burns though. And I don't want to imagine Blessed Are The Sick with any other sound, ESPECIALLY not Altars of Madness's sound. The sound of AOM was cool for what it was, but a Hellhammer production would have completely ruined the sound of BATS.

Epidemic Reign
11-16-2011, 07:51 PM
I washed my hands of this article when he implied that Elm Street 2 was better than 3.