PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Countdown to Skyrim" Thread

jd091
05-18-2011, 03:07 PM
177 More Days.

So The Elder Scrolls are some of my favorite games of all time, definitely my favorite RPG series (right behind Baldur's Gate). I'm just gonna keep a counter on this thread. Feel free to comment if you want. If not, I don't care. ;)

SomewhereInTime72
05-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Having tried so many of these games because I feel like they're my style on paper... I've come to realize that I hate every single game Bethesda makes. :) You can count me as not counting down.

mankvill
05-18-2011, 09:27 PM
I've been reading up on Skyrim, and it looks like they're trying to make it worse than Oblivion :(

jd091
05-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I've been reading up on Skyrim, and it looks like they're trying to make it worse than Oblivion :(

Ok, you are either:

1. Trolling

2. One of those hardcore Morrowind players who won't be appeased by anything

3. On drugs.

Why do you think it looks worse than Oblivion?

OraclesofAgony
05-19-2011, 12:27 AM
I've lost interest in video games recently. But when this comes out it will become my new obsession.

jd091
05-19-2011, 11:02 AM
176 more days.

mastodon421
05-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Having tried so many of these games because I feel like they're my style on paper... I've come to realize that I hate every single game Bethesda makes. :) You can count me as not counting down.

This.

jd091
05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
This.
:( You're missing out!

175 days.

Nick_to_the_face
05-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Why is no one excited :(

jd091
05-21-2011, 02:21 AM
Why is no one excited :(

Its alright, Nick. We can be the only 2 metalheads in the world excited. I'm still gonna count down.

jd091
05-21-2011, 11:49 AM
174 more days.

Nick_to_the_face
05-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Also, am I sensing Oblivion hate??

jd091
05-22-2011, 02:31 PM
173 more days.

Also, am I sensing Oblivion hate??

I think so. To be honest, Oblivion is far from the perfect game. There isnt a ton of armor or weapon variety, combat boils down to nothing more than slashing your sword mindlessly with the occasional block, magic can be horribly broken at times, and there isnt really ever a true tactical challenge like Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age due to enemies leveling with you.

All that aside, its the little, free-form moments that stick out for me in Oblivion that redeem it...

Being the gray fox, stealing from some rich nobles in the temple district, then removing my mask and talking to guards with my alter ego...

Leading the adoring fan up to the highest cliff top, hearing his ecstatic yelps of joy right before I shoot lightning through his body, sending him down thousands of feet to a crushing death...

Dawning the black cloak of the Dark Brotherhood, sitting on the rooftops of Bravil, sniping off city guards in the shadows, reveling at their deaths in grim satisfaction...

Raiding the cellars of Cheydinhal, stealing all the Tamika Vintage I can get my hands on, then raid the local tavern and drink it all at once...

Spending hours creating new and overpowered spells in the Mages Tower, then testing them on the beggars of the waterfront...

Collecting all the nirnroot i can get my hands on...

I can go on and on.

mankvill
05-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Ok, you are either:

1. Trolling

2. One of those hardcore Morrowind players who won't be appeased by anything

3. On drugs.

Why do you think it looks worse than Oblivion?

:lol: I have both Morrowind and Oblivion and I like them both. I was actually just going off of random stuff I see in links to magazine scans. Something like they're taking out a bunch of skills/abilities and stuff like that.

jd091
05-22-2011, 03:37 PM
:lol: I have both Morrowind and Oblivion and I like them both. I was actually just going off of random stuff I see in links to magazine scans. Something like they're taking out a bunch of skills/abilities and stuff like that.

From what I've read and listened to on podcasts, the streamlining of skills is a good thing. For example, they're cutting out Mysticism, but all the spells that were in Mysticism are being disttibuted to other schools of magic, so nothing is really lost but categorized better. And all the dragon shouts add a ton more complexity to the magic system.

OraclesofAgony
05-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I played Oblivion for 300+ hours across about 5 or 6 characters. I probably played Fallout 3 and New Vegas about 200+ hours combined. So I'm expecting to be playing this game for quite a while once it's out.

OraclesofAgony
05-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Dawning the black cloak of the Dark Brotherhood, sitting on the rooftops of Bravil, sniping off city guards in the shadows, reveling at their deaths in grim satisfaction...

The Dark Brotherhood questline was the best part of Oblivion I think. All those assassin missions were awesome and the twist at the end of that questline was great.

I liked all of the side quests in Oblivion. The worst part of Oblivion for me was probably the main questline and the Oblivion gates. I onlhy went through the Oblivion gates I had to to get through the main quest because I found them boring. All of the guild questlines were great though.

jd091
05-22-2011, 11:47 PM
The Dark Brotherhood questline was the best part of Oblivion I think. All those assassin missions were awesome and the twist at the end of that questline was great.

I liked all of the side quests in Oblivion. The worst part of Oblivion for me was probably the main questline and the Oblivion gates. I onlhy went through the Oblivion gates I had to to get through the main quest because I found them boring. All of the guild questlines were great though.

I agree with all of this. Dark Brotherhood was by far the best guild questline, though I felt the Thieves came real, real close. Stealing the elder scroll was one of the coolest missions in the game.

I probably put 200+ hours in my main playthrough, and only about 15-20 were in the main quest. Thats what I hated about Fallout 3- it lacked the guilds. All of the guilds were fantastic, deep, and interesting. I think I've gone back through all the guilds at least 3 times now; the prospect of all new guilds in a totally new world is what excites me the most about Skyrim.

And I wonder if they will add any new guilds? I never got very far into Morrowind, but there were definitely some interesting guild questlines with the Imperial Cult and Legion, the Morag Tong, and all the Houses you could join. I think thats a wonderful thing that Skyrim is bringing back to the series that Oblivion lacked: your choices of what guild you joined deeply affected how you played the game. Todd Howard said that, like Morrowind for example, if you are in the fighters guild, then the Theives guild will be your mortal enemies. You can't be everything at once, and consequently, it makes the world feel more believable and organic.

jd091
05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
172 more days.

jd091
05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
171 more days.

kommie
05-25-2011, 05:27 PM
the way it sounds, they're gonna make it more like Fallout 3/NV

jd091
05-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Eh, not really. They're giving you perks kind of like Fallout, but thats when you level up certain skills. You dont choose them between levels like Fallout. And just wait until they talk about the guilds! Only a couple more weeks until E3...

OraclesofAgony
05-25-2011, 06:34 PM

I'd have no problem with that.

Nick_to_the_face
05-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Never played it :eyes:

jd091
05-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Never played it :eyes:

Do you have a PC and steam? That game goes on sale dirt cheap all the time, I'm talking like $5 cheap.

Nick_to_the_face
05-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Do you have a PC and steam? That game goes on sale dirt cheap all the time, I'm talking like $5 cheap.

I have a laptop, never got around to getting steam. Probably gonna get it soon though. My peeps have been bugging me to get TF2 for a while

Nick_to_the_face
06-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Actually the block buster by my girlfriends house has it on 360 for like 15 bucks, i think im gonna pick it up

jd091
06-03-2011, 12:14 PM
161 Days!

Sick new info has been released:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/03/skyrim-has-60000-lines-of-dialogue-new-dragon-shouts-revealed-horses-confirmed/

Horses are confirmed, you can mine ore, tons of new voice actors, 60,000 lines of dialog, Dark Brotherhood, Theives, Fighters, and Mages guilds (that intertwine quests/storylines), Guards are split up into regions (aka, Commit a crime in one city, the guards of another city won't know you ever did it)...

jd091
06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
E3 IS HERE!

Here's a 6 minute gameplay walkthrough with Todd Howard of it:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-elder-scrolls/714852

All I have to say is HOLY BALLS THAT DRAGON JUST FUCKED THAT GIANT.

jd091
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
1 MORE WEEK MOTHERFUCKERS

http://skyrimdatabase.x10.mx/images/wallpapers/skyrim_database_wallpaper_2.jpg

adamclark52
11-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Lucien Lachance's fate in Oblivion is my greatest memory of that game. Fucking gnarly!!!

John The Drummer
11-15-2011, 01:14 PM
...guessing everyone is too busy playing to post about it lol.

jd091
11-15-2011, 02:58 PM
...guessing everyone is too busy playing to post about it lol.

I've been posting a bit of what I'm doing in the "what are you doing" thread, but haven't played in the last 3 days due to finals. :bouville:

John The Drummer
11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
I need to internet more so I can keep up with that thread.

I picked it up last night, only got an hour or two in, reminds me a lot of Oblivion, OBVIOUSLY, but it should be rad. Cannot wait to play more.

jd091
11-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I need to internet more so I can keep up with that thread.

I picked it up last night, only got an hour or two in, reminds me a lot of Oblivion, OBVIOUSLY, but it should be rad. Cannot wait to play more.

The more you play it, the more you realize it's completely different than oblivion in a lot of ways. All the changes were good, though, in my opinion. So far. I'm about 20 hours in.

John The Drummer
11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I stopped on the Golden Claw mission, I'm supposed to find "The Secret of (forget the name of the place)" and the map marker leads to a dead end.....

adamclark52
12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
So I'm guessing by now that someone has peeled through the whole game and all it has. My question is how long is it? I think I clocked in about 95 hours in Oblivion, did all quests.

jd091
12-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Shit, I forgot about this thread!

So I'm guessing by now that someone has peeled through the whole game and all it has. My question is how long is it? I think I clocked in about 95 hours in Oblivion, did all quests.

I'm about 82 hours in, have only visited 3/4 of the cities, about 3/4 of the way through the main quest, only half way through 2 of the 4 guilds, and haven't even started taking sides and doing any of the Civil War quests. Not to mention the dungeons, which are all unique and different with good rewards at the end. I think I've only visited a small portion of them, maybe 1/6 or so.

So... yeah. There's a ton of content at your disposal. Not to mention the whole crafting and enchanting professions, which are way deeper and take up a lot more time than in Oblivion. You can complete the main quest in maybe 20-30 hours if you want, but if you take it at a leisurely pace like me, I can't see me getting tired of content until at least the 150-175 hour mark, maybe even 200. And I think I'd like to make a second character, since the replay value is huge compared to Oblivion with perk selections and stuff.

Here's a link to my steam profile if you wanna checkout any of the screenshots I have (might be minor spoilers):
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jd091

jd091
12-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Speaking of which, just crafted my first full set of Ebony Armor. Goddamn, everything looks way cooler in this game than Oblivion.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/613844736968237232/1E2771E4EB3307FFE6B2205A60A1BE44D665EA82/

adamclark52
12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
It does look a lot more polished but let's be fair, Oblivion is five years old now.

jd091
12-16-2011, 10:04 AM
It does look a lot more polished but let's be fair, Oblivion is five years old now.

Not even that; the art style in oblivion was overall generic and mediocre compared to the awesome, unique style in Morrowind. They definitely brought that back for Skyrim, which is great to see.

adamclark52
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I'll be getting it for Christmas, I'm really looking forward to it.

SomewhereInTime72
12-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Is this really one of the best PC games ever? I'm having a hard time believing the hype, to be honest. And not just from my somewhat-biased-against-elderscrolls perspective, I just don't see why it's being held in such absurdly high regard. :eyes:

jd091
12-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Is this really one of the best PC games ever? I'm having a hard time believing the hype, to be honest. And not just from my somewhat-biased-against-elderscrolls perspective, I just don't see why it's being held in such absurdly high regard. :eyes:

Well, it's probably the best example of an open-world RPG that I've ever played, and I've played a lot of different RPG's. I think it just has so much hype because it's a game everybody is playing right now. If you own a computer, especially. Parts of it - perks, skill trees, crafting, enchanting, spells - are a complete departure from any Elder Scrolls game in the past, especially Oblivion. But in my opinion, it's all for the best. And every aspect about Oblivion that was good, they improved upon.

The new engine is fantastic, character models are great, and above all, the art direction and artistic style is fantastic. It reminds me of Morrowind to an extent: Skyrim feels like it has it's own unique culture. All the races seem to have their own artistic style, too. Redguards are now African nomads, Orcs are like Mongol Warriors, Imperials are Ancient Rome, High Elves are pretty much all the Thalmor (a faction that broke off from the rest of Tamriel and waged a huge civil war), etc. The lore is fantastic; I'm way more invested in the world, story, and history in this game than in previous ones.

Is it one of the best PC games ever? I don't know. I'll have to see how it is 10 years from now. Modding support hasn't even taken off until January when the creation kit is released, and the game is going to become infinitely replayable on the PC because of that. Sure, the story isn't anything compared to Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, but the world is more important to the story in this game. It feels more fleshed out and immersive than past elder scrolls titles.

SomewhereInTime72
12-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Well that does sound pretty awesome. I just hope I don't feel any regret if and when I cave and decide I gotta play this. :lol:

adamclark52
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
One thing I'm not digging is the view when I'm traveling. I like to play in third person view and I'm finding that when I have my sword sheathed the view is too zoomed in on my character and I can't see enough of the environment. Any way to change this?