PDA

View Full Version : Explosions in the Sky -- Oakland, CA -- May 1st, 2011

idrinkwine732
05-02-2011, 08:03 PM
The Only Moment We Were Alone
Postcard from 1952
The Birth and Death of the Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyLW5l7k_A) :drool:
Yasmin the Light
Last Known Surroundings
Your Hand in Mine :lovedup:
Catastrophe and the Cure
Let Me Back In
The Moon is Down

I drove in a little bit late, hoping I'd miss a little bit of the opening act, Papercuts, who weren't my cup of tea. I totally underestimated my ability to find parking, it was shit. I strolled into the Fox Theater right as Paper Cuts were ending, so I went and picked up a shirt and walked onto the floor. It was a short 15 or 20 minute wait until EITS took the stage, but it seemed like it took forever. It was a weird feeling, because I'm only 5'11" but I was easily one of the taller people there, so I felt guilty for standing in front of people so they couldn't see.

They took the stage around 10:20, and I just couldn't contain myself. The room seemed filled with an exciting energy and I wasn't the only one who just buzzed with anticipation. Munaf had a microphone in front of him and said a few words. He seemed really excited to play at the Fox Theater, which is a really impressive venue from the stage to the seats. Their setlist contained pretty much everything I wanted to hear that wasn't named First Breath After Coma. The Only Moment We Were Alone is one of the more soulful parts of Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place and is a great track to open up the show with. There is no song that gets to the core of me more than The Birth and Death of the Day, and I let some serious tears out during that song's final crescendo. I've also always loved Your Hand in Mine as one of their more fun songs, and I left with a new love for Catastrophe and the Cure. Munaf and Co. also have a ton of presence on stage with the cliché post-rock stage moves in tow. I couldn't help but compare this with the Godspeed You! Black Emperor show I saw in February, and I just loved this show so much more. Both bands have an incredible importance to me and seeing them was so much fun, but I just haven't ever been moved so much at a show before. I left elated and I don't think I've ever wanted to watch a band play an encore more.

I got some good video of The Birth and Death of the Day, I'll upload it to Youtube tomorrow.

DethMaiden
05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Soooooooo jealous. They are one of my last remaining links to my obsessed with post-rock days. Bought the new one today and have a total boner for it.

illuminatus917
05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I think relative to their studio music, and to what each band does, Explosions is the better band live. The dynamics of their music is just perfect for a live setting.

Nevertheless, I actually enjoyed the GY!BE show more.

That Fox Theater looks killer though, just from the pictures. I'd love to see a show there someday.

idrinkwine732
05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I think relative to their studio music, and to what each band does, Explosions is the better band live. The dynamics of their music is just perfect for a live setting.

Nevertheless, I actually enjoyed the GY!BE show more.

That Fox Theater looks killer though, just from the pictures. I'd love to see a show there someday.

GY!BE gives off, for the lack of a better word, a more epic feel than Explosions in the Sky do. With that said, I still agree that their music is a lot more suited for a live setting. It's energetic, it's light, it's cool.

bigguytoo9
05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Yap they're pretty freaking amazing live

idrinkwine732
05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Updated with Birth and Death of the Day video.