PDA

View Full Version : High school seniors: Where are you off to next year?

larvtard
04-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Tomorrow's the deadline to notify colleges, but I'm assuming everybody's sent in their deposits already. If not, that's cool, no pressure...

I'm going to University of Vermont next year :rocker:

ravenheart
04-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Wait, deposits?

larvtard
04-30-2011, 02:07 PM
acceptance fees:tp: yeah, they do those here.

ravenheart
04-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Damn...

Incidentally, how much is one year's tuition typically at a US university?

idrinkwine732
04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
At one point a few weeks ago, I was certain that I would be attending the University of Arizona, however, there has been a change of plans. I was accepted, much to my surprise, off of the waitlist at George Washington University in DC, and that is where I have placed my deposit. I also am appealing my rejection from the University of Texas in Austin, which would be my destination should I get in. I won't though, so I'm going to be going to GWU next year.

illuminatus917
04-30-2011, 02:11 PM

What happened to Georgia?

larvtard
04-30-2011, 02:20 PM
What happened to Georgia?

long story... I don't really want to get into it. Would've been cool to go to a show with you in Athens though. :(

Damn...

well that's actually where the long story comes from :lol:
Ok...so Georgia offers 100% FREE scholarships to University of Georgia to high school students with all B grades. UGA definitely wasn't my top choice, but I felt like I had to go there because I would be a chump if I turned down free tuition.
I don't want to get into why I changed my mind but there ya have it.

So to answer your question. Private schools are typically 40,000 dollars for tuition (plus 10,000 dollars room and board). Public schools are typically 10,000-20,000 dollars IN-STATE tuition. Vermont out of state is 30,000 tuition...see why I felt like a chump initially?

larvtard
04-30-2011, 02:22 PM
At one point a few weeks ago, I was certain that I would be attending the University of Arizona, however, there has been a change of plans. I was accepted, much to my surprise, off of the waitlist at George Washington University in DC, and that is where I have placed my deposit. I also am appealing my rejection from the University of Texas in Austin, which would be my destination should I get in. I won't though, so I'm going to be going to GWU next year.

congrats man:cool: A girl from my school's going there too

illuminatus917
04-30-2011, 02:35 PM
I was accepted, much to my surprise, off of the waitlist at George Washington University in DC, and that is where I have placed my deposit.

East Coast bound! I hope you like it on the other side. ;)

ravenheart
04-30-2011, 02:43 PM
long story... I don't really want to get into it. Would've been cool to go to a show with you in Athens though. :(

well that's actually where the long story comes from :lol:
Ok...so Georgia offers 100% FREE scholarships to University of Georgia to high school students with all B grades. UGA definitely wasn't my top choice, but I felt like I had to go there because I would be a chump if I turned down free tuition.
I don't want to get into why I changed my mind but there ya have it.

So to answer your question. Private schools are typically 40,000 dollars for tuition (plus 10,000 dollars room and board). Public schools are typically 10,000-20,000 dollars IN-STATE tuition. Vermont out of state is 30,000 tuition...see why I felt like a chump initially?

That's for one year? Interesting.

Universities here aren't private or state. That kind of division ends at schools. All universities here are the same level except for Oxford and Cambridge.

Tuition when I went was (I think) 3,700 per year - for a regular uni, no idea what Oxbridge charged. It's regulated, so apart from Oxford and Cambridge that was the most any of them were allowed to charge. Last year they passed a ruling that allowed all of the others to charge the same as Oxford and Cambridge, which is in the region of 9,000.

They said "oh, not all universities will apply to be able to charge the maximum, don't worry." WRONG.

So I guess it's all in line more or less. 9,000 is, what, $16,000? And I guess if we had private universities they'd charge twice as much. Fortunately we don't.

I haven't a clue what the going rate for on-campus rooms is these days for the first year. In my time is was 2,250 for just the room. There were more expensive rooms as well if you wanted en suite or to live in the little village thing. That was my particular uni. There was far more variation in those rates across the country.

idrinkwine732
04-30-2011, 03:54 PM
congrats man:cool: A girl from my school's going there too
Thanks a lot!

East Coast bound! I hope you like it on the other side. ;)

I think it's going to be difficult for me to not enjoy Washington DC.

I love the East Coast, but I've never lived near snow before :snivel: How will I survive the sub 50 degree temperatures? ;)

DethMaiden
04-30-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't miss this process at all. :)

powerslave_85
04-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Damn...

Yeah, it varies a lot depending on the school and whether or not you're a resident of the state it's in. Mine was about $5,000 a semester for in-state tuition, and that was a state university.

ravenheart
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah, it varies a lot depending on the school and whether or not you're a resident of the state it's in. Mine was about $5,000 a semester for in-state tuition, and that was a state university.

Being in-state or not is obviously not a consideration for us. Our counties aren't big enough for that to matter. It makes far more sense to have that distinction in the US.

There's basically no competition over price here. They all charge whatever is the regulated maximum. Everything is close enough together that provision of specific course and league table position are enough. Everyone bases their decision on whether or not they want to live at home, whether the uni does the course they want, whether they can achieve the necessary grades, whether or not they like the campus and the city, then league table position if the previous three criteria present more than one option.

I always love how the actual quality of the uni is the last consideration ;)

DethMaiden
04-30-2011, 04:33 PM
It makes far more sense to have that distinction in the US.

Nah, still dumb as fuck. ;)

I pay a shit-ton to go to IU as an out-of-stater. Worth it.

ravenheart
04-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't miss this process at all. :)

I found ours quite fun :eyes:

ravenheart
04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Nah, still dumb as fuck. ;)

I pay a shit-ton to go to IU as an out-of-stater. Worth it.

I think it's a good thing. Keeps the dumb and the poor from getting out. Classic artificial selection tactic ;)

Sweepstake on who that's going to upset most, anyone?

christopher
04-30-2011, 05:25 PM
I go to Cal State University San Bernardino. I really like it and I pay around 1700 per quarter, so around $6000 a year when I include gas and books. I don't go to summer quarter cause I feel that its pointless cause I can only take one or two classes.

mastodon421
04-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Have fun in the most dull state in the country;)

makethemsuffer12
04-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Nassau Community College.

Y'ALL MUTHA FUCKAS AINT GOT SHIT ON ME.

BloodoftheKings
04-30-2011, 06:42 PM

:rocker::rocker::rocker: I'm thinking there or Farmingdale,

Div
04-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Damn...

My tuition is about $7400 per semester. I take out a loan from the federal government for $7000 each year (thats $3500 that can be applied to the fall and spring semester for each year. The rest I have to come up with, but at least I don't have to pay it back with interest later on.

This is including 75 meals at the dining halls, but not including housing. Dorms would run an additional 4-5k per semester, but I just rent a house off campus.

Also, this is a state university, if you live outside NJ and want to attend the tuition rate is doubled.

larvtard
04-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Have fun in the most dull state in the country;)

:finger:

It may be lacking in diversity (2nd whitest state :party:), but Burlington's an insanely awesome town and there's so much fun things to do in Vermont, outdoors-wise.

(and I was kidding about the cheering smiley, if anyone happened to believe me there...)

TonyD
04-30-2011, 07:46 PM
I go to Cal State University San Bernardino. I really like it and I pay around 1700 per quarter, so around $6000 a year when I include gas and books. I don't go to summer quarter cause I feel that its pointless cause I can only take one or two classes.

Is that school new?

illuminatus917
04-30-2011, 08:59 PM
I think it's going to be difficult for me to not enjoy Washington DC.

I love the East Coast, but I've never lived near snow before :snivel: How will I survive the sub 50 degree temperatures? ;)

Yeah, DC is a badass city. The snow definitely warrants different listening habits - one of the many reasons I love it so much.

illuminatus917
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Speaking of snow, Loganarchy will be seeing his share of it too, in, comparatively speaking, massive quantities. Georgia to Vermont... holy shit.

elturtleboy
04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
yeah im gonna get high and kill my parents

ravenheart
05-01-2011, 03:34 AM
My tuition is about $7400 per semester. I take out a loan from the federal government for $7000 each year (thats $3500 that can be applied to the fall and spring semester for each year. The rest I have to come up with, but at least I don't have to pay it back with interest later on.

This is including 75 meals at the dining halls, but not including housing. Dorms would run an additional 4-5k per semester, but I just rent a house off campus.

Also, this is a state university, if you live outside NJ and want to attend the tuition rate is doubled.

Interesting. Our loans are regulated through a body called the Student Loans Company. You apply each year and can either have it means tested or non-means tested. Non-means tested you just get a standard amount. Means-tested you can get more but it's based on the financial situation of your parents.

The maximum in my time was something like 3.5k per year. I would drop half of that on rent and live off the other half. We can only stay on campus in our first year, so it was a rented house in town after that.

We do pay interest, but it's deferred until one year after you leave and you are earning above a certain amount. They then take monthly installments through the tax system for as long as you're earning over that amount. I'm still paying mine off because they don't take very much, comparatively. I'm happy to just leave it there trickling away. I know in total I'll end up paying more, but fuck it.

You could also be means-tested for tuition fees and if your parents weren't deemed to be well-off enough, you didn't have to pay them.

Crionics
05-01-2011, 04:09 AM
Back to High School next year...Because I'm a junior. But next year; hopefully UVA or UNC- Chapel Hill, if not then probably JMU.

mastodon421
05-01-2011, 05:57 AM

I go to communnity college right now..... BAM

larvtard
05-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Speaking of snow, Loganarchy will be seeing his share of it too, in, comparatively speaking, massive quantities. Georgia to Vermont... holy shit.

:lol: Tell me about it, man. I'm excited though. Still, maybe I'm underestimating how cold it actually is... :snivel:

ShatteredFlame
05-01-2011, 08:27 AM
This whole college decision thing was a mess for me tbh. I wanted to go out of state but didn't really get in to anywhere great, except for University of Delaware. I wanted to go to that the most since it was the best presented school when I visited and it seemed like a fun school, but I have heard so much negative feedback in the past year about it that it made me not want to go. I got accepted into Hofstra (Uniondale, NY) which is a great school that I don't even have the grades for, they loved my essay though. But I only got accepted for the 2nd semester, which is quite a weird situation and I don't see how something like that could happen. I got wait listed for the Fall semester but they told me I don't have a great chance of getting in because they are accepting people with higher grades. Now I have to make a decision whether to go to a cheap community college for the first semester or not. Or do I get a job and work instead. I'm trying to find a job now. Hopefully I can maintain one and be able to take that first semester.

If I don't get a job then I don't know what I will do with my time :snivel:

larvtard
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Or do I get a job and work instead. I'm trying to find a job now. Hopefully I can maintain one and be able to take that first semester.

That would be the best option, if you're good at time-management...

daimonos
05-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Columbia College of Chicago

DethMaiden
05-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Columbia College of Chicago

No shit? One of my best bros goes there! And I always end up seeing a few shows a semester in the city! And I'll be applying for jobs up there so I'll be there for some long weekends in the spring! Badass dude! :party:

daimonos
05-01-2011, 04:48 PM
No shit? One of my best bros goes there! And I always end up seeing a few shows a semester in the city! And I'll be applying for jobs up there so I'll be there for some long weekends in the spring! Badass dude! :party:

Cool, cool. I'm sure you'll probably see me at some Clutch or Immortal show or something :lol:

Northern_Shaman
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Holy shit this thread made me (even more) thankful to be a Canadian. You guys are getting financially raped! Not even the top, most prestigious schools charge more than $6,000 CAD up here.

In fact, the fees for international students up here are cheaper than some of the domestic fees down in the states. No wonder there's so many of you at my school.

DethMaiden
05-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Holy shit this thread made me (even more) thankful to be a Canadian. You guys are getting financially raped! Not even the top, most prestigious schools charge more than $6,000 CAD up here.

In fact, the fees for international students up here are cheaper than some of the domestic fees down in the states. No wonder there's so many of you at my school.

YEAH BUT CANADA DIDN'T KILL OSAMA

illuminatus917
05-01-2011, 09:14 PM
:lol: Tell me about it, man. I'm excited though. Still, maybe I'm underestimating how cold it actually is... :snivel:

Perhaps... I'd definitely take some ski jackets and parkas if I were you. One of my cousins used to live up in Vermont and he said it was pretty insane.

I envy you though. I'd love to live that far north, just for the weather.

ShatteredFlame
05-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Well I got accepted into Quinnipiac - CT. I was on the waiting list and didn't think I would get in but somehow did.

I have until 5/23 to decide but i think I just might end up going there. It stands out the most to me. :)

larvtard
05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Well I got accepted into Quinnipiac - CT. I was on the waiting list and didn't think I would get in but somehow did.

I have until 5/23 to decide but i think I just might end up going there. It stands out the most to me. :)

Oh yeah, I've heard of Quinnipiac, it's a good school. My counselor told me to apply but I ignored her:cool:

I envy you though. I'd love to live that far north, just for the weather.

Well, I'm not going there for the weather :eyes: I mean, I dislike the heat down here, but it's way too cold up there. Still, it didn't affect my decision whether to go or not, so I suppose I'll deal with it.

Crionics
05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Just curious, did anyone here apply to a VA college other than UVA?

jd091
05-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Everyone should transfer out of whatever college you are at and come to one at Chicago! :party:

Reggies, Bottom Lounge, Metro, House of Blues... Sexy, sexy city.

larvtard
05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Everyone should transfer out of whatever college you are at and come to one at Chicago! :party:

I applied to Northwestern and got denied! :pissed: :bawling:

jd091
05-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Aw man, you could have joined llama lom there!

JLRedWing13
05-11-2011, 05:30 PM
That's not exactly an easy school to get into.....probably the toughest of the Big Ten schools to get into.

larvtard
05-11-2011, 05:34 PM
That's not exactly an easy school to get into.....probably the toughest of the Big Ten schools to get into.

Yeah I didn't expect to get in at all haha, only reason I applied was because I thought I had a slight chance with my dad having gone there for grad school.

daimonos
05-11-2011, 06:00 PM

I'm coming to Chicago!

What school do you go to?

jd091
05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm coming to Chicago!

What school do you go to?

DePaul, up in Lincoln Park. Great school, amazing location and neighborhood. I could not be possibly more happy with my choice.

bt11763
05-11-2011, 06:17 PM
although i'm nowhere near a high school senior, i'm transferring to SUNY Purchase in the fall.

daimonos
05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
DePaul, up in Lincoln Park. Great school, amazing location and neighborhood. I could not be possibly more happy with my choice.

Ah nice! I actually applied there and went there for an audition and visited some of the school awhile back. I think DePaul shares a dorm building with Columbia, actually.

camby118
05-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Just curious, did anyone here apply to a VA college other than UVA?
University of Richmond here, but I'm a rising sophomore.

I'm surprised there were a few Long Islanders here. I have a bunch of friends that go to Nassau Community College, funny enough.

Northern_Shaman
06-11-2011, 02:02 AM
So... Bit of thread necromancy here. Someone should create a 'school' general thread in the near future. Entering into my second year in September. Any of you yankee kids coming up to the great white north for your education :D ? Any of you consider the possibility at all? Just curious, because I meet a lot of Americans on campus but don't hear about many Canadians who go down south.

larvtard
06-11-2011, 07:37 AM
So... Bit of thread necromancy here. Someone should create a 'school' general thread in the near future. Entering into my second year in September. Any of you yankee kids coming up to the great white north for your education :D ? Any of you consider the possibility at all? Just curious, because I meet a lot of Americans on campus but don't hear about many Canadians who go down south.

Yet.you didn't even say what school you're going to...

Northern_Shaman
06-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Yet.you didn't even say what school you're going to...

Was more curious about whether or not you guys considered coming up to Canada in general ;). But I'll be starting my second year @ UBC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_British_Columbia) in Vancouver this fall. A cool place indeed!

larvtard
06-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Nah, I never considered it. Remember, Americans hate Canada ;) Well... let's just say we look down on your country. I think.

illuminatus917
06-12-2011, 06:29 PM
We should annex your country.

idrinkwine732
06-12-2011, 07:14 PM

They're a country?

jd091
06-12-2011, 07:26 PM
They're a country?

You guys want to hear the story about how Canada got its name?

:naughty:

RAZOR
06-12-2011, 07:36 PM
You guys want to hear the story about how Canada got its name?

:naughty:

No, go rescue your princess.

Northern_Shaman
06-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Come at me bro.

(Confidence because my government will be paying for any injuries sustained ;) )

[Insert obligatory 1812 reference like every other Canadian here]