PDA

View Full Version : Symphony X -- Cleveland, OH -- April 29th, 2011

DethMaiden
04-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Amazing show from Sir Russell Allen and company, despite the pretty meh setlist. Everything came off better live (except Serpent's Kiss - still a pretty bad song) and I'm not sure I've ever seen a band this complex be more "on." Michael Romeo is a guitar god, and Russell sings even the most difficult stuff perfectly and doesn't cheat on any notes like so many clean metal singers do live.

Blackguard and Powerglove, however, were maybe the worst one-two punch of an undercard I've ever seen. Powerglove may be the worst non-deathcore live set I've ever seen. It's a testament to how good SX were that they made me forget about the nearly two hours of shit I was bombarded with before they came out.

SX played the usual, didn't look it back up but I BELIEVE this was the order:

Of Sins and Shadows
Domination
Serpent's Kiss
The End of Innocence
Paradise Lost
Smoke and Mirrors
Eve of Seduction
Dehumanized
Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
--
The Odyssey

jd091
04-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Really? Really? I enjoy Powerglove a lot, surprises me that you say that. Did anyone else in the crowd like them, or was this your personal opinion?

And SX sounds spot on, can't wait for the show!

DethMaiden
04-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah, some people there were super into them, which is weird, because they're so terrible. It's a terrible concept/shtick, so I'm biased against it in the first place, and then they're not good at it. And the people getting into it was almost as bad as the band itself. Go back to your image meme boards and Monster energy drinks and get the fuck away from my metal show you fucking loser nerds. :)

jd091
04-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Ouch! Fair enough, I guess. Too bad we can't get Nevermore and Soilwork, two bands which I'm pretty sure are impossible to hate.

DethMaiden
04-30-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't think Soilwork are that great but I definitely don't hate them. And don't remind me about Nevermore. :snivel: :snivel:

DethMaiden
04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I've listened to Eve of Seduction about 30 times today after holding it solidly in the lower tier of Paradise Lost tracks until last night. Safe to say the live version changed my mind. Jesus, this song rips.

slapguitarer
04-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah, some people there were super into them, which is weird, because they're so terrible. It's a terrible concept/shtick, so I'm biased against it in the first place, and then they're not good at it. And the people getting into it was almost as bad as the band itself. Go back to your image meme boards and Monster energy drinks and get the fuck away from my metal show you fucking loser nerds. :)

:snivel:

Maiden33
04-30-2011, 06:32 PM

This gets my vote for post of the year.

BloodoftheKings
04-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Go back to your image meme boards and Monster energy drinks and get the fuck away from my metal show you fucking loser nerds. :)

Are you talkin to me? :hmm:

makethemsuffer12
04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
I've listened to Eve of Seduction about 30 times today after holding it solidly in the lower tier of Paradise Lost tracks until last night. Safe to say the live version changed my mind. Jesus, this song rips.

This. That fucking chorus blows my mind.

But dude, Serpent's Kiss is awesome! Why no likey?

idrinkwine732
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
fucking loser nerds. :)

Just some context here.

We post on an online metal forum. We don't call people nerds.

That said, can't defend Powerglove from a "wow they make amazing music standpoint," but I enjoyed them live.

SomewhereInTime72
05-01-2011, 01:22 AM

I mostly agree with this. Except that I think it's a potentially awesome concept, with the worst execution ever. Though they have no place in metal shows whatsoever, they can go and play their own nerd shows (viable market for that probably) without intruding on good bands like Symphony X please. :bouville:

Dextrimental
05-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Personally, I love Powerglove. I think theres great potential there, and that their music has a pretty large range of appeal. However, I don't think they should tour as much as they do, and I don't think they should open on these sorta tours. For their sort of music, occasional touring would be a better option, with more headline dates, or even touring with cheesier metal acts like Hammerfall or Dream Evil (they're cheesiness would compliment each other). Thet are currently working on original material and another covers album, which I dig, so hopefully in the future we can see them establish themselves as a genuine metal act, with the covers thing as a between tours thing for the band to release in conjunction with original material.

DethMaiden
05-01-2011, 06:29 AM
I mostly agree with this. Except that I think it's a potentially awesome concept, with the worst execution ever. Though they have no place in metal shows whatsoever, they can go and play their own nerd shows (viable market for that probably) without intruding on good bands like Symphony X please. :bouville:

I think we agree here. I think the "video game music band" concept has potential when that band isn't a metal band, because those songs weren't written to be metal songs. That orchestra thing that plays FF songs is actually pretty awesome, but Powerglove...isn't.

SomewhereInTime72
05-01-2011, 09:45 PM
There's something to be said for covering in a song in a genre that it wasn't written for. There's another thing when it's done in a way that is borderline insulting to both the genre you're using and the original song. :hecho: Their entire discography basically sounds like songs that Dragonforce rejected because they were bad by even their own standards.

Maiden33
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
There's something to be said for covering in a song in a genre that it wasn't written for. There's another thing when it's done in a way that is borderline insulting to both the genre you're using and the original song. :hecho: Their entire discography basically sounds like songs that Dragonforce rejected because they were bad by even their own standards.

This.

DethMaiden
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Yeah, no, I'm totally with you. Genre A covered by band in Genre B is not a problem. Quite specifically, video game music covered by power metal band is.

SomewhereInTime72
05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
:fist: