PDA

View Full Version : Maiden33's 100 Favorite Albums: A Countdown

Pages : 1 [2]

Maiden33
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)
http://api.ning.com/files/U7JnYe6VCEgFMmLPOPhHGr569A0LFxFlMMszJ2QUkiTyQxPUH6 qpZhzzxTpmSeIL8lNhIDVX-u9j46QPRa50FUMhWwCeHq29/Iron_Maiden__Powerslave.jpg

Well, at least one Maiden album was inevitable, and you can rest assured this is not the last one. "Powerslave" is an undeniable metal classic, only overlooked by the closed-minded fools who think that the middle 4 tracks are weak. Are they as strong as the absolutely landmark tracks at the beginning and end of the record? No, that pretty much goes without saying - but this is one of the only records Maiden ever made with not a single obvious weak/filler track that I don't particularly like by Maiden's standards. Every track has something interesting going on, and in fact I think as a whole this is Maiden's best record in terms of the group's performance. Bruce hadn't yet lost one piece of his capabilities, Steve's basslines were still furious and interesting, Nicko's drumming was precise and intricate, and this is one of the only albums on which Adrian and Dave play pretty much exactly as equals. In metal history I'm not sure there has ever been a band as "on their game" as Maiden were when they made this album.

Tracklisting:
01 Aces High (4:29)
02 2 Minutes to Midnight (6:00)
03 Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) (4:13)
04 Flash of the Blade (4:03)
05 The Duelists (6:06)
06 Back in the Village (5:03)
07 Powerslave (7:12)
08 Rime of the Ancient Mariner (13:34)

Featured Track:
"Powerslave" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50BwgdHJjls)

maidenpriest
08-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Classic. Flash of the Blade is one of the most underrated Maiden songs imo. Back in the Village is a great song as well.

PowerMaiden
08-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Finnally !!

something on your list that I like or have hehehe !

kudos on your job of doing this I know how much work it requires, but we really don't like the same stuff though it doesn't matter, I'm still following it

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

DethMaiden
08-11-2011, 05:09 AM
Like 24ish spots too low, but yes, a fucking classic. ;)

Maiden33
08-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Haha thanks to everyone for sticking with me, because yes, I know that I like a lot of stuff on here that you guys have never heard. It sort of goes without saying though that in the remaining 24 albums I will hit a couple more things that people know and love.

powerslave_85
08-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Yeah, that's like 24 spots lower that it would be on mine :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Not my favorite Maiden album but on my list...yeah it would probably make it to around number 6 :lol: :horns:

Maiden33
08-12-2011, 10:50 PM
#24:
Riot - The Privilege of Power (1990)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61yI8tvHrlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Of all the albums on this list that people here will see and scratch their head at - this may be the one I urge you the most strongly to PLEASE check out. This album's predecessor, "Thundersteel" saw Riot completely reinvent themselves from a fairly typical hard rock band of the late 70's/early 80's into an absolutely balls-out furious metal assault, "Thundersteel" often being hailed as the "Painkiller" before Painkiller even existed. With 1990's "The Privilege of Power" the band decided to keep progressing and ventured into making what I consider one of the most ambitious albums I've ever heard. Whoever would've thought a band would decide to put a full-on horns section in a speed metal song? The craziest part is that it works - amazingly well. The album is full of twists and turns that make it best-described as "Progressive Speed Metal" - complete with drummer Bobby Jarzombek and bassist Don Van Stavern - one of the greatest rhythm sections I've ever heard.

Tracklisting:
01 On Your Knees (6:37)
02 Metal Soldiers (6:40)
03 Runaway (5:11)
04 Killer (4:53)
05 Dance of Death (7:17)
06 Storming the Gates of Hell (3:43)
07 Maryanne (4:55)
08 Little Miss Death (4:12)
09 Black Leather and Glittering Steel (7:07)
10 Racing with the Devil on a Spanish Highway (7:17)

Featured Track:
"On Your Knees" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBaXN12X7fI)

Maiden33
08-13-2011, 11:24 AM
#23:
Edguy - Mandrake (2001)
http://storage.kamezo.cc/asp/katchnetwork/img_12/122246/k1167592679.jpg

Edguy's career began when the band was very, very young - their label-debut, "Kingdom of Madness" (1997) was released while the band was only about 20. Thusly, it goes without saying that it took them a few years to grow into their own sound, style, and abilities. Every album seemed to get progressively better, and in 2001 they truly came into their own with this masterpiece. If someone were to ask me "What is power metal?" - this is likely one of the first albums I would reach for to show them the genre as it is meant to be played. The band had an absolute perfect mix of classic power/speed metal with traditional metal tendencies and some 80's rock moments as well. Tobias Sammet's voice was finally at its best here, and the songwriting was stellar as well. Not QUITE the peak of their career for me, but VERY close. Essential listening for the genre to me.

Tracklisting:
01 Tears of a Mandrake (7:12)
02 Golden Dawn (6:07)
03 Jerusalem (5:27)
04 All the Clowns (4:48)
05 Nailed to the Wheel (5:40)
06 The Pharaoh (10:37)
07 Wash Away the Poison (4:40)
08 Fallen Angels (5:13)
09 Painting on the Wall (4:36)
10 Save Us Now (4:34)
11 The Devil and the Savant (5:26)

Featured Track:
"Golden Dawn" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eskxfoRE9ps)

OraclesofAgony
08-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Classic. Flash of the Blade is one of the most underrated Maiden songs imo. Back in the Village is a great song as well.

Definitely. :horns:

mankvill
08-13-2011, 03:01 PM
hey jeff

do you like any of Death's later albums and/or Control Denied?

Maiden33
08-13-2011, 09:59 PM
hey jeff

do you like any of Death's later albums and/or Control Denied?

I really dig the Control Denied album. Never really given any Death much of a shot because I've always assumed I wouldn't really like it, though I respect the playing.

maidenpriest
08-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Probably my favorite Edguy CD! Golden Dawn, Nailed to the Wheel and the Pharaoh are some of the best Edguy songs. I'm extremely jealous that Europe got the Pharaoh live on their last headlining tour.

illuminatus917
08-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I really dig the Control Denied album. Never really given any Death much of a shot because I've always assumed I wouldn't really like it, though I respect the playing.

I think you might like Symbolic.

BloodoftheKings
08-14-2011, 01:58 PM
I think you might like Symbolic.

For a fan of progressive metal The Sound of Perseverance would probably be the best place to start.

JuuKun
08-14-2011, 03:02 PM
I've said it before, but Mandrake might just be my favorite Power Metal album ever. :drool:

Maiden33
08-15-2011, 08:13 PM
#22:
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy (1997)
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/325/cover_2633152992008.jpg

At this point I would say Symphony X is a popular enough band around these parts to not need any introduction. "Divine Wings" is very accurately hailed as one of, if not their ultimate masterpiece. Russell Allen was on the path to showing the world that he's got one of the best voices in the history of the genre, and the band's songwriting was still incredibly diverse and full of vibrant ideas from all members. This is a bit less heavy and more power metal-tinged than their more recent/more popular efforts, but the sacrifice of heaviness and production value is more than made up for by the quality of the songs. Also, this album still featured original Symphony X bassist Thomas Miller - an incredibly underrated/forgotten virtuoso on the instrument.

Tracklisting:
01 Of Sins and Shadows (4:58)
02 Sea of Lies (4:19)
03 Out of the Ashes (3:40)
04 The Accolade (9:51)
05 Pharaoh (5:29)
06 The Eyes of Medusa (5:26)
07 The Witching Hour (4:16)
08 The Divine Wings of Tragedy (20:43)
09 Candlelight Fantasia (6:45)

Featured Track:
"The Accolade" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4gPS0gpdE)

maidenpriest
08-16-2011, 09:55 PM
It drives me insane that Symphony only plays the first two songs consistently. This is my favorite Symphony album by far and I would love to hear some of the other songs on the album like Accolade or Eyes of Medusa. However, hearing the end of DWOT is still a major concert highlight of my life.

xStructualDefect
08-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Probably my favorite Symphony X album. Great choice.

GarageMetal468
08-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Probably my favorite Symphony X album. Great choice.

This

Maiden33
08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free (1995)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/Land_of_the_Free_(album)_cover.jpg

Kai Hansen is one of the only people who can truly say he's created a milestone of a genre more than once. The original was Helloween's Keeper of the 7 Keys albums, behind which he was a driving force - which basically invented the genre of power metal. However, by the early/mid 90's, that genre had sort of bottomed out before ever truly getting off the ground. Gamma Ray's first 3 albums were solid, but overall unremarkable. But in 1995 vocalist Ralf Scheepers departed, seeing a much more maturely-voiced Kai Hansen step back up to the mic, and produce probably his overall best and most well-rounded group of songs in his career. Nearly 1/3 of this album become regular tunes in Gamma Ray's live set, and most of the others are still underrated gems. The success of this album (along with maybe 2 or 3 others that may yet make appearances here) gave the genre of Power Metal the immense kick in the ass it needed to blossom into its golden age of the late 90's/early 00's. Truly a classic to me.

Tracklisting:
01 Rebellion in Dreamland (8:44)
02 Man on a Mission (5:49)
03 Fairytale (0:50)
04 All of the Damned (5:00)
05 Rising of the Damned (0:43)
06 Gods of Deliverance (5:01)
07 Farewell (5:11)
08 Salvation's Calling (4:36)
09 Land of the Free (4:38)
10 The Saviour (0:40)
11 Abyss of the Void (6:05)
12 Time to Break Free (4:40)
13 Afterlife (4:46)

Featured Track:
"Rebellion in Dreamland" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeiX6bf2OPI)

PowerMaiden
08-17-2011, 05:51 AM
I know it's just a matter of taste but I really don't get the genre.

All those Power Metal bands and albums are met to laugh right ? And a few dear friends of mine are like you and really dig it, i know it appeals some people. I've just listened to the featured track and hated it like all those Dragonforce and Edguy drama wannabe mood bands. Blind Guardian is the only power metal band that I can tollerate ... and not for too long.

It's laughable music to me, it's a joke. just saying :)

keep it up though, each to his own

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

makethemsuffer12
08-17-2011, 06:11 AM
I know it's just a matter of taste but I really don't get the genre.

All those Power Metal bands and albums are met to laugh right ? And a few dear friends of mine are like you and really dig it, i know it appeals some people. I've just listened to the featured track and hated it like all those Dragonforce and Edguy drama wannabe mood bands. Blind Guardian is the only power metal band that I can tollerate ... and not for too long.

It's laughable music to me, it's a joke. just saying :)

keep it up though, each to his own

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
It's not like it's a far cry from Maiden...

Maiden33
08-17-2011, 07:12 AM
It's not like it's a far cry from Maiden...

This is what I just don't understand. To me, classic power metal (meaning the kind without many keyboards or the ridiculous cheesy elements - so bands like Edguy, Gamma Ray, etc) is pretty much the most closely-related music genre to Maiden's style of classic metal. I still understand that it's not for everyone and I obviously realize many Maiden fans don't like power metal - but to worship every fiber of Maiden like PowerMaiden does and think power metal is a horrible joke... I just don't understand it at all.

But for the record - hate on/make fun of Dragonforce all you want. There's a list of power metal/related bands that I have no problem whatsoever with people ripping on, because they deserve it.

makethemsuffer12
08-17-2011, 07:21 AM
This is what I just don't understand. To me, classic power metal (meaning the kind without many keyboards or the ridiculous cheesy elements - so bands like Edguy, Gamma Ray, etc) is pretty much the most closely-related music genre to Maiden's style of classic metal. I still understand that it's not for everyone and I obviously realize many Maiden fans don't like power metal - but to worship every fiber of Maiden like PowerMaiden does and think power metal is a horrible joke... I just don't understand it at all.

But for the record - hate on/make fun of Dragonforce all you want. There's a list of power metal/related bands that I have no problem whatsoever with people ripping on, because they deserve it.

This.

I personally think most metal, or at least the stuff I listen too, is cheesy as fuck, but that's what makes me love it. :lol:

Maiden33
08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
#20:
Redemption - The Fullness of Time (2005)
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/300x300/62448035.jpg

Alright, we're now into the top 20! Redemption have been steadily picking up steam in the Progressive Metal community with each successive release, but at the time of this album's release, they were merely a tiny blip on the radar. Fronted by Fates Warning vocalist Ray Alder, who practically re-invented his vocal style for this band, Redemption are a Prog Metal band who have formed a very unique niche for themselves. The band are fantastic players with intricate and well-crafted songs - many of which clock in over 7 minutes - yet they have never really fallen into the Dream Theater-derived virtuosic wanking sort of stereotype. What's more is that their lyrics and vocal deliver combine for what I consider an amazing and unparalleled one-two-punch of what guitarist/songwriter Nick Van Dyk refers to as "emotional urgency". Most of the songs on this album have hit me incredibly personally at one point or another, which have helped make my bond with it that much stronger.

01 Threads (5:43)
02 Parker's Eyes (6:16)
03 Scarred (7:56)
04 Sapphire (15:55)
05 The Fullness of Time I: Rage (5:02)
06 The Fullness of Time II: Despair (3:20)
07 The Fullness of Time III: Release (5:17)
08 The Fullness of Time IV: Transcendence (8:00)

Featured Track:
"Threads" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTBsBDY_Ck)

ravenheart
08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm a little surprised to realise I have almost every album in this thread. Except the crap ones, obviously ;)

PowerMaiden
08-17-2011, 02:42 PM
The Maiden songs that are met to be\feel dramatic are really well done and it's not like it's force fed like that in my mouth. Power Metal it's just too much (for my own taste of course). Of course there are some arangements that sound like Maiden. I mean they are one if not the most influencial band ever. But it's just too cheesy, too over dramatic for me, maybe it's because I don't listen to it enought...

... well let's keep it that way...;)

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
08-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free (1995)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/Land_of_the_Free_(album)_cover.jpg

Kai Hansen is one of the only people who can truly say he's created a milestone of a genre more than once. The original was Helloween's Keeper of the 7 Keys albums, behind which he was a driving force - which basically invented the genre of power metal. However, by the early/mid 90's, that genre had sort of bottomed out before ever truly getting off the ground. Gamma Ray's first 3 albums were solid, but overall unremarkable. But in 1995 vocalist Ralf Scheepers departed, seeing a much more maturely-voiced Kai Hansen step back up to the mic, and produce probably his overall best and most well-rounded group of songs in his career. Nearly 1/3 of this album become regular tunes in Gamma Ray's live set, and most of the others are still underrated gems. The success of this album (along with maybe 2 or 3 others that may yet make appearances here) gave the genre of Power Metal the immense kick in the ass it needed to blossom into its golden age of the late 90's/early 00's. Truly a classic to me.

Tracklisting:
01 Rebellion in Dreamland (8:44)
02 Man on a Mission (5:49)
03 Fairytale (0:50)
04 All of the Damned (5:00)
05 Rising of the Damned (0:43)
06 Gods of Deliverance (5:01)
07 Farewell (5:11)
08 Salvation's Calling (4:36)
09 Land of the Free (4:38)
10 The Saviour (0:40)
11 Abyss of the Void (6:05)
12 Time to Break Free (4:40)
13 Afterlife (4:46)

Featured Track:
"Rebellion in Dreamland" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeiX6bf2OPI)

The Beggar's Banquet of the 90's.

MPF
08-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Again I know I don't comment on this list aas much as I should, but the last few have just been stellar.

We're getting down to the nitty gritty here. The top 20. Oh yeah!

Maiden33
08-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Alright everyone, I'm going on a 2-day vacation in about an hour, so I figured I'd pop on here and leave you with another album which will have to suffice for the next 2-3 days.

#19:
Queensryche - The Warning (1984)
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/7/1/5/1715.jpg

Prior to 1984, "metal" and "progressive music" were two seemingly entirely different genres. Granted - there were a few Prog Rock bands who strayed towards heavier leanings, and also metal bands that experimented with longer songs and complicated arrangements... but only to a certain extent on occasional songs. But after conquering the strictly classic metal realm with their self-titled EP, Queensryche's ambitious sophomore effort, "The Warning" broke the mold and as such is essentially the first true "Progressive Metal" album ever made - and to this day remains one of the genre's crowning achievements. The songs were far from overblown and TOO progressive - the complex and exploratory elements were used in only all the right places, allowing the metal side of things to prevail when needed and truly kick ass. To boot there is not a single moment of this album I find "weak" in the least bit, just stellar from start to finish.

Tracklisting:
01 Warning (4:46)
02 En Force (5:16)
03 Deliverance (3:21)
04 No Sanctuary (6:05)
05 NM 156 (4:38)
06 Take Hold of the Flame (4:57)
07 Before the Storm (5:14)
08 Child of Fire (4:35)
09 Roads to Madness (9:40)

Featured Track:
"Roads to Madness" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xUwybY6Se4) (This is not actually my favorite song on the album, but there's no better choice to show exactly what this album is about to me.

DethMaiden
08-18-2011, 07:09 AM
A masterpiece, and still only my third favorite Ryche album. Sad what they became.

SomewhereInTime72
08-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Easily my 2nd favorite album of theirs after the obvious #1. Absolutely brilliant and one of the reasons I still consider QR one of my favorite bands despite their unimpressive awesome:crap ratio. :cool:

maidenpriest
08-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Didn't really appreciate the greatness of this album until after I started listening to other bands like Symphony X and Fates Warning first. This album is a great choice.

Maiden33
08-19-2011, 05:04 PM
#18:
Iron Maiden - Brave New World (2000)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61BVgS-ELsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The second Iron Maiden album to appear on this list, and it's no real surprise, as this was actually my first Maiden studio album, after having heard a selection of random hit tracks back in 2001. "The Wicker Man" grabbed me absolutely instantly and I fell in love with the album on the very first listen, and a huge portion of that love can still be felt with each listen to this day. There is a very unique energy and aura to this album - I would assume due to the fact that it was the reunion of Maiden with both Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith. The production was actually indisputably good, the songwriting was vibrant and exciting, and all the playing was great. This album stands as arguably the biggest and best comeback album in metal history - to see a band who has been "out of it" for a full decade release an album that the grand majority of their fanbase likes/loves, and even many (like myself) think it rivals their very best work.

Tracklisting:
01 The Wicker Man (4:35)
02 Ghost of the Navigator (6:50)
03 Brave New World (6:18)
04 Blood Brothers (7:14)
05 The Mercenary (4:42)
06 Dream of Mirrors (9:21)
07 The Fallen Angel (4:00)
08 The Nomad (9:06)
09 Out of the Silent Planet (6:25)
10 The Thine Line Between Love and Hate (8:26)

Featured Track:
"Brave New World" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgaL1MB8EjM)

Dextrimental
08-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Amazing album, well and truly. It does NOT get much better.

JRA
08-19-2011, 06:17 PM
It still holds up, but barely. It's kind of like the Rocky movies. If you pretend everything that came after it didn't exist, you have a masterpiece.

powerslave_85
08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
It wasn't my first Maiden album, but it was the one that made me fall in love with them. If it weren't for "The Mercenary" and "The Nomad," it would be perfect. It's still in my Maiden top 5, though.

JRA
08-20-2011, 04:07 PM
If it weren't for "The Nomad," it would be perfect.

SHUT YOUR CUNTING MOUTH!!!

maidenpriest
08-20-2011, 04:08 PM
I agree with JRA. The Nomad is one of the best songs on that record. Great album, definitely my favorite reunion album, and a top 5 Maiden album in general.

powerslave_85
08-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Eh. I think it's boring.

IrritatedTrout
08-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I think The Nomad is probably one of Maiden's worst songs. If it was about 5 minutes shorter then it would be pretty good.

Sanitarium78
08-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Great choice with BNW. Still my favorite of the modern Maiden era. Like you said there's such a great aura to this album. It was just so great to have Bruce and Adrian back. The album and the tour both had this unbelieveable feeling to it. Everyone was like "fuck yeah!!! Maiden is back!!!!" That's how I still feel listening to the album today.

The only song I don't care much for is Out Of The Silent Planet. I love everything else on it:rocker:

PowerMaiden
08-20-2011, 06:03 PM
#18:
Iron Maiden - Brave New World (2000)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61BVgS-ELsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The second Iron Maiden album to appear on this list, and it's no real surprise, as this was actually my first Maiden studio album, after having heard a selection of random hit tracks back in 2001. "The Wicker Man" grabbed me absolutely instantly and I fell in love with the album on the very first listen, and a huge portion of that love can still be felt with each listen to this day. There is a very unique energy and aura to this album - I would assume due to the fact that it was the reunion of Maiden with both Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith. The production was actually indisputably good, the songwriting was vibrant and exciting, and all the playing was great. This album stands as arguably the biggest and best comeback album in metal history - to see a band who has been "out of it" for a full decade release an album that the grand majority of their fanbase likes/loves, and even many (like myself) think it rivals their very best work.

Tracklisting:
01 The Wicker Man (4:35)
02 Ghost of the Navigator (6:50)
03 Brave New World (6:18)
04 Blood Brothers (7:14)
05 The Mercenary (4:42)
06 Dream of Mirrors (9:21)
07 The Fallen Angel (4:00)
08 The Nomad (9:06)
09 Out of the Silent Planet (6:25)
10 The Thine Line Between Love and Hate (8:26)

Featured Track:
"Brave New World" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgaL1MB8EjM)

FUCKING A DUDE !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Indestructible
08-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Queensryche - The Warning[/B] (1984)

This album has one of the best vocal perfomances I have heard from anyone, to bad they suck now and that Geoff Tate can't sing anymore.

PowerMaiden
08-20-2011, 06:10 PM
I think The Nomad is probably one of Maiden's worst songs. If it was about 5 minutes shorter then it would be pretty good.

:hecho: nonsense

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mankvill
08-20-2011, 06:40 PM
FUCKING A DUDE !

This isn't the "What Are You Doing" thread!

BloodoftheKings
08-20-2011, 06:41 PM

:lol:

xStructualDefect
08-20-2011, 06:41 PM

i lol'd

makethemsuffer12
08-20-2011, 06:48 PM

:lol: Nice catch.

powerslave_85
08-20-2011, 07:07 PM
BTW, "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate?" One of the most underrated Maiden songs.

JRA
08-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Hayo

Maiden33
08-20-2011, 09:13 PM
BTW, "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate?" One of the most underrated Maiden songs.

Completely agreed.

Maiden33
08-20-2011, 10:23 PM
#17:
Evergrey - The Inner Circle (2004)
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/433/cover_264116992009.jpg

Evergrey album #2 of my list, and I don't think there's a better whole example what makes this band so special to me. With four albums under their belt, in 2004 Tom S. Englund & Co. decided to undertake what is probably their most ambitious work to date. Though not their first concept album, this album saw a much more well-developed story than 2004's In Search of Truth, and also saw the band exploring more diverse and emotionally invested territory. I would say with a pretty strong conviction that this is the most emotionally powerful album I have ever heard, and NO band other than Evergrey could've tackled it so effectively and personally. Complimented by a string quartet on a number of tracks, the band was just in absolutely outstanding form on this record, and I love it an incredible amount.

Tracklisting:
01 A Touch of Blessing (5:50)
02 Ambassador (4:29)
03 In the Wake of the Weary (4:44)
04 Harmless Wishes (4:18)
05 Waking Up Blind (4:22)
06 More Than Ever (4:13)
07 The Essence of Conviction (6:07)
08 Where All Good Sleep (4:37)
09 Faith Restored (3:43)
10 When The Walls Go Down (5:42)

Featured Track:
"A Touch of Blessing" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh0pVoCo0-I)

Rocco44
08-20-2011, 10:49 PM
I personally prefer In Search of Truth and Recreation Day but I think I need to give this one more listens.

Sanitarium78
08-21-2011, 08:26 AM

YES:rocker:

rjturtle9
08-21-2011, 01:46 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Epic post!!!

PowerMaiden
08-21-2011, 02:30 PM
FUCKING A DUDE !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

:lol: I just realized my typo. A drunk frenchy trying to post in english always messes up. obviously I meant Fucking 'A' (A as in Awesome) dude !!!

but hahaha yeah this funny

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
08-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Alright everyone, I'm going on a 2-day vacation in about an hour, so I figured I'd pop on here and leave you with another album which will have to suffice for the next 2-3 days.

#19:
Queensryche - The Warning (1984)

Prior to 1984, "metal" and "progressive music" were two seemingly entirely different genres. Granted - there were a few Prog Rock bands who strayed towards heavier leanings, and also metal bands that experimented with longer songs and complicated arrangements... but only to a certain extent on occasional songs. But after conquering the strictly classic metal realm with their self-titled EP, Queensryche's ambitious sophomore effort, "The Warning" broke the mold and as such is essentially the first true "Progressive Metal" album ever made - and to this day remains one of the genre's crowning achievements. The songs were far from overblown and TOO progressive - the complex and exploratory elements were used in only all the right places, allowing the metal side of things to prevail when needed and truly kick ass. To boot there is not a single moment of this album I find "weak" in the least bit, just stellar from start to finish.

Tracklisting:
01 Warning (4:46)
02 En Force (5:16)
03 Deliverance (3:21)
04 No Sanctuary (6:05)
05 NM 156 (4:38)
06 Take Hold of the Flame (4:57)
07 Before the Storm (5:14)
08 Child of Fire (4:35)
09 Roads to Madness (9:40)

Featured Track:
"Roads to Madness" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xUwybY6Se4) (This is not actually my favorite song on the album, but there's no better choice to show exactly what this album is about to me.

Great review. Probably my favorite power/prog rock ever. Rage for Order is up there but like you said The Warning does not have a single moment of weakness. NM 156 was about 3-4 years ahead of it's time too.

IrritatedTrout
08-21-2011, 03:56 PM

Definitely.

Maiden33
08-21-2011, 09:30 PM
#16:
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth (1997)
http://www.allflac.com/covers/b_19064_Bruce_Dickinson-Accident_Of_Birth-1997.jpg

Bruce Dickinson's solo career was a pretty mixed bag through 1996. Tattooed Millionaire was poorly received, 1994's Balls to Picasso fared a bit better, and Skunkworks seemed to completely divide his fanbase - but one thing was certain: Making a balls-to-the-wall traditional metal record seemed the furthest thing from Bruce's mind. But in 1997 a little record named "Accident of Birth" dropped and turned the metal underground upside down, largely because it was ALSO the fully metal return of ex-Iron Maiden axe-man Adrian Smith, who teamed up with Bruce's previous guitarist Roy Z to make for one of the best guitar pairings in metal history. The use of some down-tuning led the charge for a more modern approach, making this probably my #1 pick of all-time as far as "Modern Classic Metal" records are concerned. The album features a great selection of completely ripping metal tracks, more diverse and epic tracks, and even some really amazing mellow moments.
Furthermore (prepare for arguments), I do honestly consider this album to be collectively Bruce Dickinson's finest vocal performance. Having the freedom to write his own lyrics/vocal melodies in exactly the style he was most comfortable with, an outstanding batch of songs to work with, and still having the majority of his range and vocal "tone" completely intact make this an absolutely oustanding vocal affair in which I feel Bruce truly lives up to the monumental hype.

Tracklisting:
01 Freak (4:15)
02 Toltec 7 Arrival (0:37)
03 Starchildren (4:17)
04 Taking the Queen (4:49)
05 Darkside of Aquarius (6:42)
06 The Road to Hell (3:57)
07 Man of Sorrows (5:20)
08 Accident of Birth (4:23)
09 The Magician (3:54)
10 Welcome to the Pit (4:43)
11 Omega (6:23)
12 Arc of Space (4:18)

Featured Track:
"Darkside of Aquarius (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtiR35EOm7A)

Sanitarium78
08-22-2011, 07:26 AM
AOB is a great album and you'll get no argument from me about it being Bruce's best vocal performance of his career. The same with Chemical Wedding which I love to. Bruce's vocie has never sounded better than it did on those two albums.

DethMaiden
08-22-2011, 07:29 AM
AOB is a great album and you'll get no argument from me about it being Bruce's best vocal performance of his career. The same with Chemical Wedding which I love to. Bruce's vocie has never sounded better than it did on those two albums.

This. Kind of sad, really, as a huge Maiden fan. :lol:

I will say that his next-best performance is on The Number of the Beast. He had a real edge to his voice that he did away with for the rest of the '80s, and by the time he added it back the music was crap.

Sanitarium78
08-22-2011, 07:32 AM
This. Kind of sad, really, as a huge Maiden fan. :lol:

I will say that his next-best performance is on The Number of the Beast. He had a real edge to his voice that he did away with for the rest of the '80s, and by the time he added it back the music was crap.

I always thought that Bruce's vocals on SIT and Seveth Son were the best he sounded with Maiden.

Maiden33
08-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Shocked at the overall lack of love for Accident of Birth.

JRA
08-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Never quite got the motivation to inspect Bruce's solo career beyond the best of. But the songs I have heard are really, really fucking good. The "hits" from this album are no exception.

JESUS HAD HIS DAY OFF WHEN THEY PULLED YOU THROUGH!!

maidenpriest
08-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Accident of Birth is my favorite on the album. I think Omega is a fantastic song as well.

Maiden33
08-23-2011, 08:56 PM
#15:
Whitesnake - Whitesnake (1987)
http://image.lyricspond.com/image/w/artist-whitesnake/album-whitesnake/cd-cover.jpg

Seeing this album ranked this high will no doubt shock some of you - it will even probably inspire a few people to consider writing responses bashing Whitesnake and/or this album, dismissively classifying it as "hair/glam metal". The pairing of vocalist David Coverdale (arguably at his very best here) and outstanding guitarist John Sykes makes for one amazing listen, and an album that I would probably describe as the essential cornerstone of the Melodic Hard Rock genre. Sure, there are keyboards in the songs, and sure - there are some very over-the-top hooks, but if you are willing to overlook the overly glossy elements and dig into the real meat and potatoes of this album, you will most likely appreciate it for the masterpiece that it is. Every single song on this album is outstanding - from both the overplayed hits to the incredibly underrated "deep" album tracks.

Tracklisting:
01 Crying in the Rain (5:37)
02 Bad Boys (4:09)
03 Still of the Night (6:38)
04 Here I Go Again (4:33)
05 Give Me All Your Love (3:30)
06 Is This Love? (4:43)
07 Children of the Night (4:24)
08 Straight For the Heart (3:40)
09 Don't Turn Away (5:11)

Featured Track:
"Crying in the Rain" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lWhLLujjDA)

DethMaiden
08-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Love the record, still shocked to see it this high. Could probably crack my 100 but damn, 15. Alright, man. :lol:

Maiden33
08-24-2011, 08:47 PM
#14:
Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth (2006)
http://www.metal-rules.com/polls/bestof06/C2C-300.jpg

In 2002, one of my favorite bands (Savatage) more or less dissolved into countless side projects, one of the more prominent of which being ex-vocalist Zak Steven's band, Circle II Circle. The first album featured the rest of the Jon Oliva's Pain band, and as such was VERY Savatage-esque. Their second record saw new musicians come into the picture and attempt to forge a new sound, but ultimately it fell a little short. However, in 2006 with their third effort, the band absolutely struck gold with "Burden of Truth". This is a loose concept album whose style can best be described as a mix between 90's Savatage and a more Modern Rock-ish edge. A few of these songs may be only a few steps removed from Hard Rock that could conceivably be played on the radio, but I'll be damned if it's not one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. The production is great, the playing is great, the vocal melodies are outstanding, and the writing is flawless. I consider this to be easily the best post-Savatage record by any of the projects, and frankly one of the best song-for-song "perfect" albums I've ever heard.

Tracklisting:
01 Who Am I To Be? (5:03)
02 Matter of Time (4:08)
03 Heal You (4:16)
04 Revelations (3:41)
05 Your Reality (4:29)
06 Evermore (2:53)
07 The Black (4:56)
08 Messiah (3:31)
09 Sentenced (4:58)
10 Burden of Truth (6:45)
11 Live As One (5:03)

Featured Track:
"Heal You" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34KnwYDOpJc)

powerslave_85
08-24-2011, 10:43 PM
I've listened to a few songs on YouTube, and I actually really dig this :metal:

bennythedog
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
#15:
Whitesnake - Whitesnake (1987)
http://image.lyricspond.com/image/w/artist-whitesnake/album-whitesnake/cd-cover.jpg

Seeing this album ranked this high will no doubt shock some of you - it will even probably inspire a few people to consider writing responses bashing Whitesnake and/or this album, dismissively classifying it as "hair/glam metal". The pairing of vocalist David Coverdale (arguably at his very best here) and outstanding guitarist John Sykes makes for one amazing listen, and an album that I would probably describe as the essential cornerstone of the Melodic Hard Rock genre. Sure, there are keyboards in the songs, and sure - there are some very over-the-top hooks, but if you are willing to overlook the overly glossy elements and dig into the real meat and potatoes of this album, you will most likely appreciate it for the masterpiece that it is. Every single song on this album is outstanding - from both the overplayed hits to the incredibly underrated "deep" album tracks.

Tracklisting:
01 Crying in the Rain (5:37)
02 Bad Boys (4:09)
03 Still of the Night (6:38)
04 Here I Go Again (4:33)
05 Give Me All Your Love (3:30)
06 Is This Love? (4:43)
07 Children of the Night (4:24)
08 Straight For the Heart (3:40)
09 Don't Turn Away (5:11)

Featured Track:
"Crying in the Rain" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lWhLLujjDA)

Great choice. Don't forget the 2 other tracks that were on the UK release only.

Your Gonna Break My Heart Again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIYfd6v3CI)

Looking for Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3bdUUYrQWo)

I'll throw in the original version of CITR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uqkwppSXvc) is even better, but less "metal... I get it... but the guitar solo still kicks ass!

John

JRA
08-25-2011, 02:16 PM
I've listened to a few songs on YouTube, and I actually really dig this :metal:

Whitesnake or Circle II Circle? :eyes:

powerslave_85
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Circle II Circle.

Maiden33
08-27-2011, 06:09 PM
#13:
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (1980)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413PFKN4ZTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Few albums truly need no introduction whatsoever, but this is one of them. I will preface by saying: "JRA: I don't care what you think about this album, suck it". Yes, I admit that two of these tracks border on what I consider "filler" (Lady Evil + Walk Away) - but I still enjoy them, and given that the rest of the album is what I consider absolute classic metal gold, rivaling some of the best and most influential stuff ever written in the genre, it still propels this album to an absolutely stellar level of awesome. A timeless classic.

Tracklisting:
01 Neon Knights (3:54)
02 Children of the Sea (5:35)
03 Lady Evil (4:26)
04 Heaven and Hell (7:00)
05 Wishing Well (4:08)
06 Die Young (4:46)
07 Walk Away (4:26)
08 Lonely is the Word (5:56)

Featured Track:
"Heaven and Hell" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EL67mjv1nM)

MPF
08-27-2011, 06:13 PM
I was hoping this would be in the top 10, but 13 works for me. :)

mankvill
08-27-2011, 06:36 PM
"Heaven and Hell" is THE greatest metal sing-along song. Ever. Period.

AnataFan4Life
08-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Ever since Dio's passing, Children of the Sea makes my eyes water every time I hear it :(

makethemsuffer12
08-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes, I admit that two of these tracks border on what I consider "filler" (Lady Evil + Walk Away) - but I still enjoy them, and given that the rest of the album is what I consider absolute classic metal gold, rivaling some of the best and most influential stuff ever written in the genre, it still propels this album to an absolutely stellar level of awesome. A timeless classic.

wat

DethMaiden
08-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I don't get the Lady Evil hate/indifference honestly. It's in the top half of the album for me.

Maiden33
08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
My feelings toward Lady Evil would HARDLY be described as hate. I merely claimed that I feel it's BORDERING on filler in my eyes. It's my 7th-favorite song on my 13th favorite album of all-time, so I don't believe anyone should give me crap for not liking it enough. The only reason it fares poorly is because I think SO highly of the other songs.

IrritatedTrout
08-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I've always felt like Wishing Well and Walk Away weren't up to par with the rest of the album.

Maiden33
08-29-2011, 06:42 PM
#12:
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls (2008)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CTYJtwexL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes, ironically, one of the newest albums on this entire list managed to rank 12th of all-time. It's only been about 3 years since Seventh Wonder produced their incredible Progressive Metal opus "Mercy Falls" and become one of the most talked about bands in the Progressive/Power Metal community. This is not only a concept album, but a brilliant one - with a complex story rivaling some of the best I've seen on concept records, and music that is absolutely fitting of it. The band found a perfect mix of interludes and longer songs to constantly keep the flow perfect and you very into the progression of the music and story. Onto the music itself: Tommy Karevik is an incredible vocalist, and in due time I genuinely believe he'll be one of the best and most respected in the genre - this guy has range, style, and melodic sense rarely heard from anyone else - absolutely incredible voice. Not to be outdone, the band's bassist and chief songwriter, Andreas Blomqvist is easily among the best bassists I've ever heard. The other 3 guys are no slouches either, but the vocals/bass definitely steal the show here. As for the songwriting - one word: Incredible. The band somehow found a way to marry all the intricate elements typical of progressive metal in this style with an absolutely uncanny sense of hooks and melody. The average AOR/hard rock album doesn't have half of the memorable hooks this album does, and I think the combination of these two is what truly makes this album stand out to me. In addition to everything else, it's the fact that the hooks instantly grab you and make you love and remember it, yet the complexity of the whole thing keeps you interested and lets you love it more with every listen.

Tracklisting:
01 A New Beginning (3:05)
02 There and Back (3:01)
03 Welcome to Mercy Falls (5:11)
04 Unbreakable (7:18)
05 Tears For a Father (1:58)
06 A Day Away (3:43)
07 Tears For a Son (1:42)
08 Paradise (5:46)
09 Fall in Line (6:09)
10 Break the Silence (9:30)
11 Hide and Seek (7:46)
12 Destiny Calls (6:18)
13 One Last Goodbye (4:21)
14 Back in Time (1:15)
15 The Black Parade (6:58)

Featured Track:
"Welcome to Mercy Falls" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwg58wfB798)

Sanitarium78
08-30-2011, 07:42 AM
#12:
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls (2008)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CTYJtwexL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes, ironically, one of the newest albums on this entire list managed to rank 12th of all-time. It's only been about 3 years since Seventh Wonder produced their incredible Progressive Metal opus "Mercy Falls" and become one of the most talked about bands in the Progressive/Power Metal community. This is not only a concept album, but a brilliant one - with a complex story rivaling some of the best I've seen on concept records, and music that is absolutely fitting of it. The band found a perfect mix of interludes and longer songs to constantly keep the flow perfect and you very into the progression of the music and story. Onto the music itself: Tommy Karevik is an incredible vocalist, and in due time I genuinely believe he'll be one of the best and most respected in the genre - this guy has range, style, and melodic sense rarely heard from anyone else - absolutely incredible voice. Not to be outdone, the band's bassist and chief songwriter, Andreas Blomqvist is easily among the best bassists I've ever heard. The other 3 guys are no slouches either, but the vocals/bass definitely steal the show here. As for the songwriting - one word: Incredible. The band somehow found a way to marry all the intricate elements typical of progressive metal in this style with an absolutely uncanny sense of hooks and melody. The average AOR/hard rock album doesn't have half of the memorable hooks this album does, and I think the combination of these two is what truly makes this album stand out to me. In addition to everything else, it's the fact that the hooks instantly grab you and make you love and remember it, yet the complexity of the whole thing keeps you interested and lets you love it more with every listen.

Tracklisting:
01 A New Beginning (3:05)
02 There and Back (3:01)
03 Welcome to Mercy Falls (5:11)
04 Unbreakable (7:18)
05 Tears For a Father (1:58)
06 A Day Away (3:43)
07 Tears For a Son (1:42)
08 Paradise (5:46)
09 Fall in Line (6:09)
10 Break the Silence (9:30)
11 Hide and Seek (7:46)
12 Destiny Calls (6:18)
13 One Last Goodbye (4:21)
14 Back in Time (1:15)
15 The Black Parade (6:58)

Featured Track:
"Welcome to Mercy Falls" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwg58wfB798)

Fantastic Album!!! Everything you said sums it up nicely. The story is so original and imaginative. The story is up there with the best of them when it comes to concept albums. One of those rare gems of an album and a band more people should know about. Did they tour for their last album much? I never heard anything about it.

As for the Heaven and Hell debate, Walk Away is the only song I don't care for. Everything else is great, a classic metal masterpeice.

Maiden33
09-01-2011, 06:34 PM
#11:
Stratovarius - Visions (1997)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-iF3zce5EV4/SWIceSIdSdI/AAAAAAAADbY/gzLHDNbE_ZI/s320/sv_visions.jpg

Stratovarius has become a band legendary for its varied history and drama between members, but what is seemingly starting to be forgotten about is that in the mid-to-late 90's, they were easily one of the best and most prominent bands in the genre of power metal - when it was reaching its creative peak. The band molded what would be their trademark sound on 1996's "Episode", but it was the follow-up, '97's "Visions" that absolutely "did it" for them. There is a viable power metal subgenre regarding the country of Finland, and this album is essentially the bible/blueprint for it. Quite literally, every song on this album has basically become a Stratovarius "classic", many of which are still live essentials of theirs. Fantastic from start-to-finish, end of story.

Tracklisting:
01 The Kiss of Judas (5:49)
02 Black Diamond (5:39)
03 Forever Free (6:00)
04 Before the Winter (6:07)
05 Legions (5:43)
06 The Abyss of Your Eyes (5:38)
07 Holy Light (5:45)
08 Paradise (4:27)
09 Coming Home (5:36)
10 Visions (Southern Cross) (10:17)

Featured Track:
"Forever Free" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mY-jwPJFI)

mankvill
09-01-2011, 06:40 PM
BRING ON THE TOP TEN

and the recap!

JRA
09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I've always felt like Wishing Well and Walk Away weren't up to par with the rest of the album.

They aren't. That's why I can't accept that album as the greatest thing since sliced bread. WW sounds like something left over from Never Say Die, and Walk Away just sucks.

and did I actually say that? :eyes: That sounds like the sort of thing I'd say about NOTB, Painkiller, Under The Sign of The Black Mark, or Blessed Are The Sick, but not Heaven & Hell. :lol:

I don't think Heaven & Hell is a terrible album. I'd probably give it 4 ish out of 5 stars. Maybe 3 if I'm in a bad mood. I just get the uncontrollable urge to shit in the cereal bowl of whoever says that the album is better than anything with Ozzy.

SomewhereInTime72
09-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Excellent choice for #11 there. I often forget/underestimate how important Strato are to both myself and power metal. Good to see the right album getting the appreciation, too. :cool:

maidenpriest
09-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Great choice for 11! not my favorite strato album (Episode) but Visions is definitely a classic. title songs is one of the best songs they've done.

dcmetal108
09-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I just sat here and read all 34 pages. Really loving this and marked down about 15 albums I must get. Your opening my eyes on some great stuff man!

Sanitarium78
09-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I just sat here and read all 34 pages.

Wow, somebody really has nothing to do huh?:D

dcmetal108
09-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Wow, somebody really has nothing to do huh?:D

Well my computer is right next to my laundry room and I had alot of laundry. I didn't read every comment but read every cd review.

Maiden33
09-04-2011, 09:16 PM
#10:
Fates Warning - Parallels (1991)
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/670/cover_5942231182008.jpg

Fates Warning's career has been one of constant progression. Few bands in the genre of Progressive Metal have truly defined the term like this band has - starting in 1983 when the genre was barely even a reality, and evolving slowly but logically over the course of the next 20 years - to an almost completely different band, despite all the logical changes along the way. Fates Warning's progression and maturity is one that should make Queensryche downright envious. Though many of their records are great in their own ways, everyone has their masterpiece, and in 1991 - pretty much the midway-point of their evolution, Fates created theirs in "Parallels". It's rank at #10 speaks volumes about how much I love it. Frankly, this album is PERFECT, end of story. If you like Prog Metal and you haven't heard this album, do it NOW.

01 Leave the Past Behind (6:13)
02 Life in Still Water (5:44)
03 Eye to Eye (4:05)
04 The Eleventh Hour (8:11)
05 Point of View (5:07)
06 We Only Say Goodbye (4:55)
07 Don't Follow Me (4:42)
08 The Road Goes On Forever (6:28)

Featured Track:
"The Eleventh Hour" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7JItNNq8CY)

MPF
09-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I was hoping Fates Warning would be in the top ten. Hell Yeah!

:fist:

Maiden33
09-05-2011, 10:56 AM
#9:
Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/325/cover_41471130112008.jpg

Few albums I've ever heard have really blown my mind like this one did when I heard it about 8 years ago. I had never heard of Symphony X prior to seeing this album sitting in a record store and being enamored with the cover artwork. It seemed like something interesting to check out, so I used my then-best resource for checking stuff out - shitty 30 second samples on Amazon.com to check a little of the album out, and I knew right away that I needed to hear the whole thing. So I ran out and bought it, came home, and put it on my stereo - and for about an hour my mind was completely fixated on this incredible piece of Progressive Metal. Symphony X has many great albums, but something about V is absolutely out of this world in a very transcending sort of way. The album completely engulfs you into the sonic landscape of the whole thing, and flows very much like one gigantic piece of music, rather than a mere collection of songs. This is just a masterpiece, hands down.

Tracklisting:
01 Prelude (1:07)
02 Evolution (The Grand Design) (5:21)
03 Fallen (5:51)
04 Transcendence (Segue) (0:38)
05 Communion and the Oracle (7:45)
06 The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm (4:02)
07 On the Breath of Poseidon (Segue) (3:02)
08 Egypt (7:04)
09 The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa (3:42)
10 Absence of Light (4:59)
11 A Fool's Paradise (5:48)
12 Rediscovery I (Segue) (1:25)
13 Rediscovery II: The New Mythology (12:01)

Featured Track:
"Communion and the Oracle" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvgt-QugWk)

maidenpriest
09-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Masterpiece is an understatement. Probably my favorite album in terms of vocal performance for Russell Allen. Him on Evolution and Absence of Light... :drool: Glad to see this album so high!

xStructualDefect
09-06-2011, 02:55 AM
Great choice. My favorite Symphony X album for sure. Such a shame they don't really play anything off it besides maybe sometimes Egypt or Evolution.

Maiden33
09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
#8:
Evergrey - In Search of Truth (2001)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BJs8mlnXmKQ/RkOKriMbLdI/AAAAAAAAA84/8-JdQ4tFKoQ/s320/in+search.jpg

Yes, a third Evergrey album. Considering that I recently had my first tattoo ever and it was of Evergrey's symbol, it goes without saying that I love their music and it means a great deal to me. However, "In Search of Truth" goes above and beyond that. By this point in the list it's obvious we've reached the "best of the best" elite stratosphere where no amount of words will truly explain how much I love each album, or why exactly I do. Evergrey's material has always been incredibly emotional and personal, that's one of their trademarks - so it goes without saying that if ANY band could take a sci-fi and inhuman concept and turn it into a compelling story of personal drama - it's them. Inspired by the novel "Communion" by Whitley Streiber, this album follows the personal story of someone who truly believes they have been abducted by aliens - not just once, but time and time again. Not just their personal accounts, but what these thoughts have turned them into - the constant self-doubt, the isolation from their friends, the fear of what the future brings. To top it all off, this is probably their most technically impressive album instrumentally, and the production is incredible - honestly one of my favorite sounding albums, bar none.

Tracklisting:
01 The Masterplan (4:46)
02 Rulers of the Mind (5:57)
03 Watching the Skies (6:16)
04 State of Paralysis (2:13)
05 The Encounter (4:32)
06 Mark of the Triangle (6:22)
07 Dark Waters (6:02)
08 Different Worlds (5:29)
09 Misled (5:59)

Featured Track:
"The Encounter" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbNOZ_m4woE)

MPF
09-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Another badass selection!

Maiden33
09-07-2011, 07:31 PM
People who know me fairly well could probably guess the 7 remaining albums. :tongue:

MPF
09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I've got a pretty good idea where it's going. Let's see how right/wrong I am.

DethMaiden
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Having no certainty whether they've already popped up or not, my guess is, in some order (MAYBE SPOILERS): The Crimson Idol, Streets, Operation: Mindcrime, Brave New World, Somewhere in Time, Hellfire Club, and, uhh...The Wicked Symphony?

Maiden33
09-08-2011, 04:01 PM
#7:
Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side (1995)
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d23/121_blind_guardian_imaginations_from_the_other_sid e.jpg

In 1995 the power metal genre was finally coming into its own, booming with great bands and great albums - but it's fair to say that in the mid 90's, no one power metal band was dominating the game as much as Blind Guardian. Their early albums were more speed/thrash than they were "power metal", but with each release they slowly evolved towards a more melodic, folky, and experimental sound, which would obviously eventually be far greater than what was seen here on Imaginations - but this record basically sits as the perfect middle point in this band's storied catalog. A perfect combination of both early and later Blind Guardian, Imaginations pleases pretty much everyone, and stands as easily the band's most consistent record. "Born in a Mourning Hall" may not exactly be a masterpiece, but it's still considerably better than the average album's "weakest track". Pretty much the entire disc is one BG classic after another and rightfully so. Song-for-song, this is practically an unparalleled power metal masterpiece.

Tracklisting:
01 Imaginations From the Other Side (7:18)
02 I'm Alive (5:29)
03 A Past and Future Secret (3:47)
04 The Script For My Requiem (6:08)
05 Mordred's Song (5:27)
06 Born in a Mourning Hall (5:12)
07 Bright Eyes (5:15)
08 Another Holy War (4:31)
09 And the Story Ends (5:59)

Featured Track:
"Imaginations From the Other Side" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Cxyd3VxbQ)

MPF
09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I was getting scared when I didn't see this one on the list yet. I'm glad it's number 7.

Dextrimental
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Awesome album. I always found the idea of opening the album with its longest song a risk that totally paid off, but was a very brave move by a band who were, by all means, about to find their feet as the power metal stalwarts they are.

mankvill
09-08-2011, 04:21 PM
FUCK YEAH :fist:

Maiden33
09-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Anyone want me to put #6 up tonight as well?

mankvill
09-08-2011, 06:11 PM
fuck year

Maiden33
09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
#6:
Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/378/cover_1948221212008.jpg

Regardless of all the hate directed at this band, it's undeniable that this is probably one of the most influential metal records of the past 20 or so years. Without Dream Theater, Progressive Metal most likely would've simply died off in time, or at least would've followed a considerably different path - but "Images and Words" basically re-invented the genre as it's known. Long before the band has gotten too big for its own britches, they were still a very creative and hungry bunch of amazing musicians with some outstanding songwriting skills. Despite the length of the songs and the amount of flowery instrumentation... this album is not one note too long, and it's basically the ONLY Dream Theater album that can say that. The songs are JUST long and progressive enough to completely serve their purpose without overreaching and being off-putting. What's more is the outstanding production, and for basically the only time in his career, James Labrie is an absolutely top-tier vocalist. Few albums have an intangible "magic" to them like this one does.

Tracklisting:
01 Pull Me Under (8:11)
02 Another Day (4:24)
03 Take the Time (8:21)
04 Surrounded (5:30)
05 Metropolis Pt. 1 (The Miracle and the Sleeper) (9:32)
06 Under a Glass Moon (7:04)
07 Wait For Sleep (2:32)
08 Learning to Live (11:31)

Featured Track:
"Metropolis Pt. 1" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaQpC4HuJ5M)

treghet
09-08-2011, 07:27 PM
A perfect progressive metal album. :rocker: Love every moment of it.

MPF
09-08-2011, 09:41 PM
My 2nd favorite album of all time!

mankvill
09-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Every time I look to delve into Dream Theater, I always remember Jeff saying that Images & Words is his favorite Dream Theater album. But I put it on and then I just keep repeating Pull Me Under. :lol: I'll get to the rest of it one day!

Maiden33
09-08-2011, 10:11 PM
My 2nd favorite album of all time!

Out of curiosity, what is #1?

MPF
09-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Out of curiosity, what is #1?

Devin Townsend- Terria

Both are spectacular, beautiful, badass albums

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 05:03 PM
#5:
Edguy - Hellfire Club (2004)
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d9/107_edguy_hellfire_club.jpg

Few albums on this list carry more of a "Fuck you, YES, I absolutely love this album this much" mentality as this one does - as non-Edguy fans probably find it retarded that I have an Edguy album at #5, and Edguy fans will probably think I'm stupid for choosing THIS album - but alas, blow me.
Edguy was my first exposure to true power metal aside from Stratovarius's "Speed of Light". A friend played me two tracks off the King of Fools EP when it was freshly released in February 2004, and when "Hellfire Club" hit the shelves in April, I immediately tracked down a copy. This album truly redefined my musical world. Song after song I was astounded that music like this truly existed - music that seemed to speak to virtually every facet of what my brain then (and now) considers great music. The little drippings of 80's hard rock and light-heartedness that grace this album helped make it what it is, but sadly these things have come to virtually destroy Edguy in the time since this album. Nevertheless, on the edge of wandering into bad territory, they created a masterpiece. This is my favorite Power Metal album ever made.

Tracklisting:
01 Mysteria (5:44)
02 The Piper Never Dies (10:06)
03 We Don't Need a Hero (5:30)
04 Down to the Devil (5:27)
05 King of Fools (4:21)
06 Forever (5:40)
07 Under the Moon (5:04)
08 Lavatory Love Machine (4:25)
09 Rise of the Morning Glory (4:39)
10 Lucifer in Love (0:32)
11 Navigator (5:22)
12 The Spirit Will Remain (5:14)

Featured Track:
"The Piper Never Dies" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTeGQ4ow_tQ)

PowerMaiden
09-09-2011, 07:07 PM
yeah retarded is a good word

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
yeah retarded is a good word

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Considering your opinions on the entire genre, I don't exactly consider you an ideal source of perspective here. You think EVERY power metal album on this list is "retarded" for being here. :finger: :tongue:

maidenpriest
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
and Edguy fans will probably think I'm stupid for choosing THIS album - but alas, blow me.

yeah thats me. lol Not saying it is a bad album, but I definitely prefer Mandrake or Theater of Salvation. Great choices for 6 and 7 as well!!

Dextrimental
09-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Not a huge Edguy fan, but I can commend and understand not liking the overall favorite of a bands back catalog. Looking forward to the rest of these albums!

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Fun fact: 3 of the 4 remaining albums are concept albums! Also, all were released prior to 1993.

makethemsuffer12
09-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Fun fact: 3 of the 4 remaining albums are concept albums! Also, all were released prior to 1993.

Seventh Son is one, no idea about the others.

EDIT: A Savatage album, too, I would assume.

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Seventh Son is one, no idea about the others.

EDIT: A Savatage album, too, I would assume.

That would be a "no" regarding Seventh Son.

Dextrimental
09-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Hall of the Mountain King or Streets: A Rock Opera by Savatage are my bets for one of the top spots.

mankvill
09-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Have you done Powerslave yet? ;)

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Have you done Powerslave yet? ;)

Yeah, it was 24th I believe.

mankvill
09-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah, it was 24th I believe.

...24?!!?!?!???!

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Don't worry everyone, there IS another Maiden record in the top 4. :tongue:

es156
09-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Don't worry everyone, there IS another Maiden record in the top 4. :tongue:

Do I get a cookie if I know the top 4? (Not sure of the order, but I could take a good guess.)

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 09:57 PM
es156 has nailed down 3 of the 4. :D

maidenpriest
09-09-2011, 10:03 PM
im calling somewhere in time as the non-concept album!

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Anyone want me to just post #4 and move this thing along? :D

GarageMetal468
09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Anyone want me to just post #4 and move this thing along? :D

Hell yeah, and I wanna say The Human Equation is in there if it hasn't been listed already. That or some other Ayreon album

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Hell yeah, and I wanna say The Human Equation is in there if it hasn't been listed already. That or some other Ayreon album

Nah, no Ayreon. I respect Arjen a WHOLE lot, but something about his writing style has just never really "clicked" with me like it does for so many other Progressive Metal fans. I actually favor Star One's "Space Metal" above any Ayreon album. Weird, I know, but no real explanation I guess.

es156
09-09-2011, 10:14 PM
es156 has nailed down 3 of the 4. :D

And I hit the 4th on my next guess.

:dance:

Maiden33
09-09-2011, 10:22 PM
#4:
WASP - The Crimson Idol (1992)
http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/2008-01-23/wasp_tci.jpg

This is probably the album that no one saw coming, as the remaining 3 are dead-obvious for anyone who knows me, at least the artists are. Truth be told, I'm not REALLY that big of a WASP fan, which is what makes this album all the more astounding to me. Generally I find WASP to be a generally skip-able band that produced a lot of mediocre stuff and a few great classic 80's metal tracks - just nothing spectacular overall, though certainly very fun. So it perplexes me more than you can imagine that somehow Blackie Lawless was able to put out this absolutely incredible album that I love so much.
It needs to be said that I am a sucker for concept records, which certainly got this album "in the door" for me - but my love for it absolutely transcends that, as this album absolutely transcends a typical "concept album". The story isn't incredibly spectacular, but how it is told is the real gem here. What the quick-to-judge confuse as "unoriginal and repetitive songwriting" here is actually a brilliant use of recurring musical passages and themes, so much so that the final track on the album - "The Great Misconceptions of Me" - features almost no unheard music. Rife with reprises and subtle lyrical and melodic changes, this album truly reveals more and more with each listen. The lyrics are brilliantly written, that cannot be understated. The album is one great passage after another, seeing heavy use of acoustic guitars and layered vocal harmonies - this is basically a metal version of The Who's "Tommy", which is what I believe Blackie was going for. An incredible emotional and musical journey that is truly fitting of the term "Rock Opera". Incredible album that I STILL love more now with every listen.

...also... Suck it, Ravenheart.

Tracklisting:
01 The Titanic Overture (3:23)
02 The Invisible Boy (5:17)
03 Arena of Pleasure (4:06)
04 Chainsaw Charlie (Murders in the New Morgue) (7:36)
05 The Gypsy Meets the Boy (4:08)
06 Doctor Rockter (3:43)
07 I Am One (5:29)
08 The Idol (8:40)
09 Hold on to My Heart (4:14)
10 The Great Misconceptions of Me (9:29)

Featured Track:
"The Great Misconceptions of Me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5xLJcxU8XY&feature=related)

MPF
09-10-2011, 12:44 AM
I can honestly say I did not see this coming at all. I am pleasantly surprised.

PowerMaiden
09-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Considering your opinions on the entire genre, I don't exactly consider you an ideal source of perspective here. You think EVERY power metal album on this list is "retarded" for being here. :finger: :tongue:

:bouville:;)

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
09-10-2011, 08:44 AM
#4:
WASP - The Crimson Idol (1992)
http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/2008-01-23/wasp_tci.jpg

This is probably the album that no one saw coming, as the remaining 3 are dead-obvious for anyone who knows me, at least the artists are. Truth be told, I'm not REALLY that big of a WASP fan, which is what makes this album all the more astounding to me. Generally I find WASP to be a generally skip-able band that produced a lot of mediocre stuff and a few great classic 80's metal tracks - just nothing spectacular overall, though certainly very fun. So it perplexes me more than you can imagine that somehow Blackie Lawless was able to put out this absolutely incredible album that I love so much.
It needs to be said that I am a sucker for concept records, which certainly got this album "in the door" for me - but my love for it absolutely transcends that, as this album absolutely transcends a typical "concept album". The story isn't incredibly spectacular, but how it is told is the real gem here. What the quick-to-judge confuse as "unoriginal and repetitive songwriting" here is actually a brilliant use of recurring musical passages and themes, so much so that the final track on the album - "The Great Misconceptions of Me" - features almost no unheard music. Rife with reprises and subtle lyrical and melodic changes, this album truly reveals more and more with each listen. The lyrics are brilliantly written, that cannot be understated. The album is one great passage after another, seeing heavy use of acoustic guitars and layered vocal harmonies - this is basically a metal version of The Who's "Tommy", which is what I believe Blackie was going for. An incredible emotional and musical journey that is truly fitting of the term "Rock Opera". Incredible album that I STILL love more now with every listen.

...also... Suck it, Ravenheart.

Tracklisting:
01 The Titanic Overture (3:23)
02 The Invisible Boy (5:17)
03 Arena of Pleasure (4:06)
04 Chainsaw Charlie (Murders in the New Morgue) (7:36)
05 The Gypsy Meets the Boy (4:08)
06 Doctor Rockter (3:43)
07 I Am One (5:29)
08 The Idol (8:40)
09 Hold on to My Heart (4:14)
10 The Great Misconceptions of Me (9:29)

Featured Track:
"The Great Misconceptions of Me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5xLJcxU8XY&feature=related)

I saw it coming, but I didn't think it'd be this high.

To be honest, it hasn't aged well for me. It's repetitive, especially the drumming. I'll admit it's one of the finer WASP albums, but Headless Children and the self-titled are just better.

That said, Chainsaw Charlie still owns everyone.

Maiden33
09-11-2011, 09:52 AM
#3:
Savatage - Streets (1991)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MKBVGHGHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

No other album I've ever heard has ever evoked a stronger emotional reaction from me than this one. In the grand scheme of all music I listen to, I was kinda "late to the party" with Savatage, because ever since they dissolved in 2002, the lack of press/discussion about them has forced them to nothing more than cult-status for the most part. I slowly eased into their catalog, and when I finally checked out "Streets" - my life changed forever.
Vocalist/Pianist Jon Oliva can easily be considered one of my favorite songwriters ever, and his brother Criss Oliva (RIP) is also easily one of my favorite guitarists ever. Another greatly written concept record - the only tragedy about this album is knowing that if it had been released in it's originally planned double-album format with 8 other songs - it could've reached the #1 spot on this list. But the actual incarnation of the album certainly deserves a very high place indeed. This album's finale, "Believe" - is, to date, the only song to ever make me cry (and it's done so more than once actually), and I generally regard it as my favorite song ever made. That being said, I understand this album isn't for everyone - in fact, many people hate it, but I couldn't disagree more.

Tracklisting:
01 Streets (6:48)
02 Jesus Saves (5:13)
03 Tonight He Grins Again (3:28)
04 Strange Reality (4:56)
05 A Little too Far (3:25)
06 You're Alive (1:51)
07 Sammy and Tex (3:07)
08 St. Patrick's (4:17)
09 Can You Hear Me Now? (5:11)
10 New York City Don't Mean Nothing (4:01)
11 Ghost in the Ruins (5:32)
12 If I Go Away (5:17)
13 Agony and Ecstasy (3:33)
14 Heal My Soul (2:35)
15 Somewhere In Time (3:17)
16 Believe (5:42)

Featured Track:
"Tonight He Grins Again" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlo5u0A1KM)

dcmetal108
09-11-2011, 12:07 PM
That Savatage album is a amazing album. Didn't expect it on the list.

JRA
09-11-2011, 02:31 PM
That Savatage album is a amazing album. Didn't expect it on the list.

He don't know me very well do he?
:D

JRA
09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
#2! #2!

MPF
09-13-2011, 01:01 PM
#2! #2!

He's at ProgPower. It won't be happening for a while. :D

Maiden33
09-13-2011, 02:37 PM
He's at ProgPower. It won't be happening for a while. :D

...definitely not at ProgPower, haha. I've just been busy, probably wont' get it up tonight.

dcmetal108
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
...definitely not at ProgPower, haha. I've just been busy, probably wont' get it up tonight.

Theres a pill for that if you need help with it.:D:D

DethMaiden
09-13-2011, 03:09 PM

:lol: :lol: I like this guy.

es156
09-13-2011, 07:18 PM

So obvious, yet still so funny.

Butcher of Birth
09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
So obvious, yet still so funny.

Eric, I had no idea... :eyes:

es156
09-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Eric, I had no idea... :eyes:

No problems here. ;)

Maiden33
09-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Wow, everyone's certainly had their fun, haha. Worry not, #2 will be posted very soon.

Maiden33
09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
#2:
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time (1986)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61k1-8aNa1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The only thing somewhat shocking about this selection to some will probably be that it's #2 instead of #1 - and that's why I loved doing this list. Throughout this journey I've had several personal revelations and made many re-evaluations, the biggest of which was the decision to bump this album back to #2 and remove what I previously considering my #2 to the top spot. Many of you probably are certain what that album is, but let's ignore that for now.
Iron Maiden was essentially the band that set me on my path toward the music I now know and love, as they seem to have done for almost anyone who got into them between the age of 10 and 15. I listened to rock/metal before Maiden, but when I got into Maiden, the whole game changed completely. The importance this band has had on my personal development over the past 9 years can NOT possibly be understated, so it stands to reason that my favorite of their albums would rank so highly.
However, this record goes beyond that. With 1986's Somewhere In Time, Iron Maiden achieved a pinnacle I believe they never truly re-attained before or after: An absolutely flawless album. There's not a song on this disc I would describe as anything resembling filler - despite Maiden's many great albums, it's very rare I can say there's not one remotely weak song. In addition to the perfect material, it is executed perfectly. Each band member is completely outstanding here, though I think Adrian Smith truly stepped up his game to an other-worldly level with his soloing and songwriting here. In addition to the stellar performances, one cannot overlook the mind-blowingly great production of Martin Birch. This is probably my favorite-sounding record ever made... and it's 25 years old. It says volumes about Birch's quality if he made an album in 1986 that has not only stood the test of time, but still outdoes virtually everything modern technology has allowed for in all the time since. Every golden era Maiden record sounds great - this one sounds incredible in every way.
So in summation, this is a PERFECT album. Every song is great, every performance is great, and the whole package is great. There is virtually nothing that could've made this a better album... well except maybe a great conceptual story... ;)

Tracklisting:
01 Caught Somewhere In Time (7:26)
02 Wasted Years (5:08)
03 Sea of Madness (5:42)
04 Heaven Can Wait (7:21)
05 The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (6:31)
06 Stranger in a Strange Land (5:44)
07 Deja Vu (4:56)
08 Alexander the Great (8:36)

Featured Track:
"Caught Somewhere In Time" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_K6sl4jp3A)

JRA
09-14-2011, 06:10 PM
If only "Loneliness" was 5:31 instead of 6:31. :( But yea, you aren't a true Maiden fan unless you love this album (and 7th son) along with the first five.

DementedX14
09-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Great choice, can't go wrong with that album. :party:

mankvill
09-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I am actually pretty surprised it's not #1.

Maiden33
09-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I wanted to post a few quick "special mentions" - otherwise known as "non-conventional" albums that I felt needed some sort of mention.

Favorite Live Album:
Iced Earth - Alive in Athens (1999)
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/images/a/a6/Ieaia.jpg
Despite all the pretty well-rooted rumors that this was incredibly overdubbed in the studio, I can't help but love it.

Favorite Live DVD:
Evergrey - A Night to Remember (2004)
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/433/cover_314316992009.jpg
I felt I needed another mention for a live DVD I particularly love as opposed to a strictly live album.

Favorite EP:
Tie:
1) Edguy - King of Fools (2004)
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d88/582_edguy_king_of_fools.jpg

2) Queensryche - Queensryche (1983)
http://metalkids.fr/IMG/arton347.jpg

Favorite Covers Album:
Jorn - Unlocking the Past (2007)
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d82/4338_jorn_unlocking_the_past.jpg

Favorite "Compilation" Album (Rerecorded)
DGM - Synthesis (2010)
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d20/30313_dgm_synthesis.jpg

MPF
09-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Now that's a badass list of Honorable Mentions

maidenpriest
09-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I definitely agree with your statement about Adrian really coming out on SiT. His guitar work in Alexander and Stranger is probably my favorite Maiden guitar work.

jhdeity
09-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Now that's a badass list of Honorable Mentions

This

DethMaiden
09-15-2011, 07:20 AM
I like #2, but I like what it means about #1 even more. :D

powerslave_85
09-15-2011, 07:41 AM
I definitely agree with your statement about Adrian really coming out on SiT. His guitar work in Alexander and Stranger is probably my favorite Maiden guitar work.
Word.

es156
09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
#2:
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time (1986)

What. The. ......

Maiden33
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
And now... a recap of the 99 albums that have been posted:

100 Dominici - 03: A Trilogy, Part 2
99 Hammerfall - Legacy of Kings
98 Def Leppard - Pyromania
97 Y&T - Mean Streak
96 Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite
95 BLAZE - The Tenth Dimension
94 Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel
93 Magnitude 9 - Reality in Focus
92 Grim Reaper - Rock You to Hell
91 Twilightning - Delerium Veil
90 Rush - Permanent Waves
89 At Vance - Only Human
88 Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
87 UFO - Lights Out
86 Magnum - On a Storyteller's Night
85 Europe - Wings of Tomorrow
84 Halford - Resurrection
83 Threshold - Hypothetical
82 Mercenary - The Hours That Remain
81 Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise
80 Brazen Abbot - My Resurrection
79 Pantera - Cowboy's From Hell
78 DGM - FrAme
77 Yngwie Malmsteen - Odyssey
76 Anubis Gate - Andromeda Unchained
75 Tesla - Mechanical Resonance
74 Andy McKee - The Art of Motion
73 Jaded Heart - Trust
72 Enchant - A Blueprint For the World
71 Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
70 Ark - Burn the Sun
69 Gary Moore - Wild Frontier
68 Overkill - Horrorscope
67 Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
66 King's X - Dogman
65 Journey - Frontiers
64 Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic : Calling
63 Cornerstone - Two Tales of One Tomorrow
62 Judas Priest - Painkiller
61 Vanishing Point - The Fourth Season
60 Royal Hunt - Paradox
59 Hibria - Defying the Rules
58 Gotthard - Lipservice
57 Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory
56 Ion Vein - Reigning Memories
55 Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied
54 Firewind - Allegiance
53 Saxon - Lionheart
52 Allen/Lande - The Battle
51 Riot - The Brethren of the Longhouse
50 Savatage - Edge of Thorns
49 Blue Murder - Blue Murder
48 Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
47 Kamelot - Epica
46 Evergrey - Recreation Day
45 Pyramaze - Immortal
44 Primal Fear - Seven Seals
43 Anthrax - Spreading the Disease
42 Nocturnal Rites - Grand Illusion
41 Helloween - Keeper of the 7 Keys
40 Angra - Rebirth
39 Rainbow - Rising
38 Vanden Plas - Christ 0
37 Sonata Arctica - Eclitpica
36 Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi
35 Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
34 Thin Lizzy - Black Rose
33 Kansas - Masque
32 Dio - Holy Diver
31 Circus Maximus - Isolate
30 Dungeon - A Rise to Power
29 Kamelot - The Black Halo
28 Masterplan - Masterplan
27 Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera
26 Billy Joel - The Stranger
25 Iron Maiden - Powerslave
24 Riot - The Privilege of Power
23 Edguy - Mandrake
22 Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
21 Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
20 Redemption - The Fullness of Time
19 Queensryche - The Warning
18 Iron Maiden - Brave new World
17 Evergrey - The Inner Circle
16 Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
15 Whitesnake - Whitesnake
14 Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth
13 Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
12 Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
11 Stratovarius - Visions
10 Fates warning - Parallels
09 Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
08 Evergrey - In Search of Truth
07 Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side
06 Dream Theater - Images and Words
05 Edguy - Hellfire Club
04 WASP - The Crimson Idol
03 Savatage - Streets
02 Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time

I will be posting #1 TONIGHT sometime - probably around 9 pm EST!

JRA
09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Shit, #1 actually is Operation Mindcrime. I thought it was already there because I remember seeing Queensryche but I guess not.

Maiden33
09-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Drum roll please...

Maiden33
09-15-2011, 05:20 PM
#1:
Queensryche - Operation : Mindcrime (1988)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_C6Jf9YcOAt8/R9Kz1_vXI0I/AAAAAAAAAdM/4XYQj-_Mhfg/s320/Queensryche%2B-%2BOperation%2BMindcrime%2B-%2BFront.jpg

Well, here we are. I'll save the majority of the "emotional recap" stuff for a follow-up post and just get to the point. When I set out to do this list, I assumed that this album would finish #2, and the album that finished #2 would be in this spot. However, throughout the course of this process I took the time to revisit most of these albums, which included listening to both of these albums back to back - and what I realized is that all in all, I actually prefer this album a hair over Somewhere In Time. I even checked back later to make sure it wasn't just how I was feeling that night.
Queensryche are essentially the band that invented Progressive Metal with 1984's "The Warning" - and they evolved considerably for their sophomore album "Rage For Order" in 1986. It made sense that their third full-length would be a full-blown concept album - and what a record it is.
Operation : Mindcrime really doesn't NEED much of an introduction, as it is one of the most universally praised metal records of all time, and it's truly deserving of every positive review you've ever read. Queensryche was still "mainstream-minded" enough here that they produced an album that manages to be a thrilling, well-written, and emotionally compelling story... that had hit singles. The majority of the album is still honestly very manageable 4-minute songs with great hooks and melodies, which is probably why I like it so much. This album appeals to virtually every part of me that loves music. Great concept? Check. Catchy songs? Check. Intricate/Technical Playing? Check. Emotional Viability? Check. Lyrical and musical depth? Check. Occasionally over the top bombast? Check.
Basically, with Mindcrime - Queensryche made a record that Prog/Concept Record geeks can love the shit out of - but yet it doesn't turn off even the most straight-forward song-minded metal fan. Even my friends who don't generally like Prog Metal still think Mindcrime is an amazing record. It's truly one of those albums that sort of transcends all boundaries in metal. My best friend's girlfriend who liked no metal at all STILL appreciated it for the theatrical aspect. If you don't like this record at least a bit, you probably have bad taste - end of story.
I've seen this record live in its entirety twice, and as a live show (even when played by an inferior lineup) - it is thrilling and amazing. These songs have become an essential part of my life both as a musician and not. It's one of those very rare albums that I'm basically always in the mood for. Hell, as much as I love The Warning - if it weren't for how undeniably mindblowing this album is, I probably would've completely lost interest in this band's entire history by now. But when a band sucks for 20 years and you still love them essentially because of the validity of one album? I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

Tracklisting:
01 I Remember Now (1:17)
02 Anarchy X (1:27)
03 Revolution Calling (4:42)
04 Operation:Mindcrime (4:43)
05 Speak (3:42)
06 Spreading the Disease (4:07)
07 The Mission (5:46)
08 Suite Sister Mary (10:41)
09 The Needle Lie (3:08)
10 Electric Requiem (1:22)
11 Breaking the Silence (4:34)
12 I Don't Believe in Love (4:23)
13 Waiting for 22 (1:05)
14 My Empty Room (1:28)
15 Eyes of a Stranger (6:40)

Featured Track:
"Eyes of a Stranger" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvgLj8pawGI)

mankvill
09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
:party:

GarageMetal468
09-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I still have yet to listen to this album, let alone Queensryche...

:eyes:

No but really I've heard nothing but amazing things about this album, and I've been meaning to check it out for some time but I keep forgetting. If I remember I will this weekend for sure.

And great list too! Props on the Symphony X choices, especially.

MPF
09-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Amazing thread!

Dextrimental
09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
This was awesome, bravo!!

I totally wanna start a thread like this of my own, but I'm not sure if anyone would care...!

jhdeity
09-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Nice job of finishing up strong! Ironically my Top 5 of this genre would have been all Iron Maiden and Queensryche albums but all different from yours.

I always thought only musicians thought SIT was a great album but apparently I was wrong. Maybe someday i'll get songs like Long Distance Runner and Deva Vu. Love the music but just can't get past the lyrics even after 25 years.

Maiden33
09-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Nice job of finishing up strong! Ironically my Top 5 of this genre would have been all Iron Maiden and Queensryche albums but all different from yours.

I always thought only musicians thought SIT was a great album but apparently I was wrong. Maybe someday i'll get songs like Long Distance Runner and Deva Vu. Love the music but just can't get past the lyrics even after 25 years.

...is this implying that I'm not a musician? :eyes:

Or is it based on the other responses?

JRA
09-15-2011, 08:05 PM

I'll admit the lyrics to Deja Vu are pretty dumb.

EvilCheeseWedge
09-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Definitely didn't expect O:M as your #1 (although, I guess it's absence was conspicuous) But still, nice!

jhdeity
09-15-2011, 09:08 PM
...is this implying that I'm not a musician? :eyes:

Or is it based on the other responses?

Obviously I knew you loved it but of my other friends only musicians seem to hold that album in high regards. Until I stumbled upon this site and saw the unaderterated love for it. I personally have Powerslave rated worlds over SIT and it's 90% because of the lyrics. I still can't fathom anyone finding Long Distance Runner interesting lyrically even though it might be one of my favorite songs on the album musically.

I'm going to give this cd a few more spins minus Heaven Can Wait which I honestly never want to hear again and see if I truly am missing something. It's been years since I've listened to some of those tracks.

Also while I'm thinking about it I own 10 Saxon albums and Lionheart isn't one of them. Is that really their best album in your eyes? Another band I was really into and lost touch with.

Maiden33
09-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Also while I'm thinking about it I own 10 Saxon albums and Lionheart isn't one of them. Is that really their best album in your eyes? Another band I was really into and lost touch with.

Absolutely. I love the "classic" Saxon records of course, but from "Unleash the Beast" to present they've been pumping out incredibly solid albums. I just think they really struck gold with Lionheart.

SomewhereInTime72
09-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Love O:M (easy top 5 of all time) but still pretty shocked to see it beat SIT. ;)

jhdeity
09-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Absolutely. I love the "classic" Saxon records of course, but from "Unleash the Beast" to present they've been pumping out incredibly solid albums. I just think they really struck gold with Lionheart.

Cool I'll have to check it out

ImmortalEmperor
09-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Obviously I knew you loved it but of my other friends only musicians seem to hold that album in high regards. Until I stumbled upon this site and saw the unaderterated love for it. I personally have Powerslave rated worlds over SIT and it's 90% because of the lyrics. I still can't fathom anyone finding Long Distance Runner interesting lyrically even though it might be one of my favorite songs on the album musically.

I'm going to give this cd a few more spins minus Heaven Can Wait which I honestly never want to hear again and see if I truly am missing something. It's been years since I've listened to some of those tracks.

Same here. I always thought Maiden peaked with Powerslave and haven't listened to SIT in years. I'll give it another shot as well.

And I stopped buying Saxon albums after the one with the Christopher Cross cover song. I'll definitely have to check out Lionheart.

JRA
09-16-2011, 07:34 PM
And I stopped buying Saxon albums after the one with the Christopher Cross cover song.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

LOL WUT

Maiden33
09-16-2011, 07:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SsEzSbIlTg

It was on the album "Destiny" in 1988. And yeah, Saxon from roughly 1986 - 1995 wasn't particularly good. But in '97 they put out Unleash the Beast and it's been damn good output ever since.

dcmetal108
09-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Do we ever get #1?

Maiden33
09-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Do we ever get #1?

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=396057&postcount=415

Sanitarium78
09-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Do we ever get #1?

It's that hard for you to go back two pages?

dcmetal108
09-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I read all the pages. Must have skipped it! Sorry! lol