PDA

View Full Version : Mogwai -- Pittsburgh, PA -- April 27th, 2011

moobys37
04-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Got to the venue around 7:15 and got a spot front and center. I was looking forward to Errors but 8pm passed and nothing was happening on stage. 8:15 passed and nothing happened. At 8:30, Mogwai's crew began to soundcheck which was a surprise to all of us. Apparently 4 out of 5 members of Errors were not able to get into the country due to visa issues. They will be playing in Chicago though. At 9:15, Mogwai came on stage and thanked us all for coming. Despite Game 7 of the Penguins/Lightning series at Consol Energy Center, the show was still attended by a sold out crowd.

White Noise
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyP7ffuLFYw)Rano Pano
Friend Of The Night
Mexican Grand Prix
Letters to the Metro
Hunted By A Freak
How To Be A Werewolf
San Pedro
I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
You're Lionel Richie
Too Raging to Cheers
George Square Thatcher Death Party
Like Herod
--------------------------------------
Auto Rock
Mogwai Fear Satan

The sound was spot on the entire night, but Stuart seemed to be having some problems with his monitor. You're Lionel Richie was incredibly heavy and cemented it's position as my favorite song off the new record. Barry's vocals during Mexican Grand Prix were a little low in the mix but still fantastic. The two highlights of this show by far were Like Herod and Mogwai Fear Satan. They extended Like Herod for a few extra minutes during the climax of the song while allowing fill-in drummer James Hamilton to go bat-shit crazy. Mogwai Fears Satan was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed at a live show. Not only was the song incredibly heavy, but they ended it by
performing a 15 minute piece of feedback. After the end of the actual song, the rest of the band except for John and Stuart left the stage and those two took pedals from their pedal board and performed one of the loudest drone pieces I have ever heard, including when I saw Sunn O))) at the same venue almost a year and a half ago. By far, this was on of the best shows I've seen in a long time, and if Mogwai plays anywhere within driving distance of you, you have to go.

bigguytoo9
04-28-2011, 02:37 PM
I saw FUCK BUTTONS open for Mogwai in 2008 and it was a fantastic show. Dont think I would see Mogwai again unless they had an opener as good as Fuck Buttons touring with em.

idrinkwine732
04-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm really shocked that Auto Rock is in there and Glasgow Mega Snake isn't.

illuminatus917
04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
No Cody? :confused:

NecroRob
04-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I would be pretty satisfied with this set in Seattle, but it seems like they like to change their set quite a bit so who knows what will happen.

moobys37
04-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Updated with a video I found of White Noise. I loved this set personally. I really like the new album and every song just smothered me live. The set isn't much to be upset over when the experience of the show is so great.

Natrlhi
04-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Sounds like an awesome show. Sorry I missed it. I had a prior engagement that night, plus my wife and kids were out of town all weekend, and trotting off to Pittsburgh for this show two nights after they got back would have been a shitty thing to do. (I was close though. After all, it IS fucking Mogwai. ;))

moobys37
04-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Sounds like an awesome show. Sorry I missed it. I had a prior engagement that night, plus my wife and kids were out of town all weekend, and trotting off to Pittsburgh for this show two nights after they got back would have been a shitty thing to do. (I was close though. After all, it IS fucking Mogwai. ;))

The light show would have been worth it ;)

illuminatus917
04-29-2011, 09:52 PM

Look at Natrlhi being all responsible like a family man. :)

idrinkwine732
04-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Look at Natrlhi being all responsible like a family man. :)

Nat here is our resident family man.

He's like the metalsetlists father.

Natrlhi
05-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Nat here is our resident family man.

He's like the metalsetlists father.
COOLEST DAD EVAR

bigguytoo9
05-04-2011, 08:01 AM
hm, friend of mine here in Van said the show last night at Commodore was cancelled due to Visa issues. Sucks, they seemed to have problems getting into the USA as well when the tour started. Stupid cdn/us border issues.