End of Innocence
Paradise Lost
Smoke and Mirrors
Eve of Seduction
Dehumanized
Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)

--------------------------------------

The Odyssey

My story of last night is a bit strange. I'm actually not familiar with Symphony X at all, besides knowing they have the very talented Russell Allen on vocals. I only decided to go because Borealis was added on the bill. I knew I would have to get up early this morning, so I decided I would watch Borealis, Blackguard (who I also like) and then leave. Powerglove is not my thing, and I unfortunately couldn't stay for Symphony X. Nevertheless, I got some strange looks as I was leaving at 8:30.

Borealis was amazing. It was my fourth time seeing them and one of the best. They initially planned to bring some copies of their new album to the show to sell (it comes out May 20th in North America but was released April 13 in Japan), but the CDs were held up at customs. Instead, they put a pre-order list out at their merch table. Before they played, I went over and talked to the keyboardist for about 5 minutes and pre-ordered the new CD. Luckily, their setlist was all new songs. The first three songs had been played live before, but the last two had not. It was also the final show with guitarist Ken Fobert and the last song was dedicated to him. Matt Marinelli had some trouble with a mic stand, but besides that, the band was in top form. The sound was decent too, it wasn't too loud or anything. It was pretty exciting for me because normally at this venue I hang out close to the stairs (without going into the pit area), but I went into the pit area this time and had only 2 people in front of me.

I decided to stay where I was for Blackguard, although I was a little worried because I knew there would be pits and I didn't want to get into that. Blackguard came on and played the only song I recognized (I only bought the new album last night, so I'm not too familiar with them, but I saw them with Deicide), Firefight. Much like the last time I saw them, the band was filled with energy, running around everywhere and having a really good time. During the second song, the first pit got started and even though I was very close to the front, I was still getting hit. I moved further away for the rest of the set, and ended up watching the pit for quite a bit of time too. I know that one of the brothers from Crimson Shadows was in there (not sure which one). I know the first four songs were from the new CD and the last were from the debut as Blackguard. I only picked up the last song title though.

Once the band finished, I left and the venue really started filling up. As I was getting driven away, I noticed the line was even longer than when I had been there (I got there at 5:15 and doors were at 6).

If anyone has the setlist of Powerglove or can confirm the rest of Blackguard's setlist, I'll edit it in. I'm going to see Holy Grail/Cauldron tonight and should give a good rundown of that as well :D

kommie
04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
some guy here called tech death bands wank metal, but really wank metal is shit like Powerglove/Dragonforce/other bands that take videogame shit and put it in songs. can't take see why people like those bands.

Maiden33
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I love Borealis, REALLY excited to hear the new album. I've probably watched the old demo version of "Where We Started" on YouTube 50+ times.

GarageMetal468
04-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Damn, looks like I gotta get there earlier if the line was long at 5:15 and the doors opened at 6... the doors open at 5 for the Chicago show and I was planning on getting there at 3:30. Hopefully I can make it to the rail. But with Nevermore and Soilwork dropped off and the show being on a Sunday, I don't think the line will be as long, but I'm better off safe than sorry.

Spiner202
04-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Damn, looks like I gotta get there earlier if the line was long at 5:15 and the doors opened at 6... the doors open at 5 for the Chicago show and I was planning on getting there at 3:30. Hopefully I can make it to the rail. But with Nevermore and Soilwork dropped off and the show being on a Sunday, I don't think the line will be as long, but I'm better off safe than sorry.

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain well. The line wasn't too long when I got there or when doors opened (maybe 100 or so people, it's hard to tell). When I left though, the line was longer than when doors opened. I should also mention that I didn't even head to the front until 6:20 because I went to get merch and used the washroom, so you most definitely could have gotten to the rail if you went in immediately. There were only a couple of people in front of me anyways.

I love Borealis, REALLY excited to hear the new album. I've probably watched the old demo version of "Where We Started" on YouTube 50+ times.

Heh, me too. They've actually released three songs so far. You can hear Finest Hour on the band's website (under the album's section) and Regeneration on their myspace page.

Kalsah
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
BlackGuard

Firefight
Farewell
Sarissas
Wasteland
Fear of All Flesh
Allegiance
This Rounds On Me

I think that was Blackguard's. The order might be wrong.
Powerglove

Xmen
Storm Eagle
Metal Kombat For The Mortal Man
Omnishred
Tetris
Gotta Catch'em All
Mario Minor

Again order might be off.

John The Drummer
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I wonder if Blackguard will ever end with something other than This Rounds On Me....

-___-

jd091
04-28-2011, 02:09 PM
YOU LEFT BEFORE POWERGLOVE. WHAT.

Good news on the pits for Blackguard! And I bet there will be some for Powerglove, too! This is gonna be a fun concert.

MPF
04-28-2011, 06:45 PM
I know it's not this show, but I didn't want to make another thread on it just post the link.

Here is the entire audio Symphony X show from 4/23/2011 in Worchester, MA:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=355063