PDA

View Full Version : Giant Squid to enter studio in June to record new EP, Cenotes

slapguitarer
04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
This June, GIANT SQUID will travel to Seattle, WA to record the highly anticipated next release entitled, Cenotes. This EP will be their forth official studio album, and second release under Translation Loss Records. Prestigious heavy music producer, Matt Bayles (Mastodon, ISIS, The Sword) returns to helm the knobs and hone the band's eclectic vision. Cenotes will be released in late October/early November. Exact date to be anno...unced soon.

Though only four songs long, each lengthy track is quintessential GIANT SQUID, and takes the kinetic energy of their older, bludgeoning fan favorites like "Neonate" and "Sutter's Fort", and drenches it in all the exoticness of their 2009 critically acclaimed masterpiece, The Ichthyologist, continuing the elaborate mythos of that album's protagonist. The middle eastern esthetic that GIANT SQUID has embraced throughout its entire cannon, consumes this new material to its core, and further enhances the band's trademark, otherworldly musical storytelling.

Many bands are quoted about how their impending release is as heavy as their iconic older material. But, with the return of "Sutter's Fort" bombastic drummer, Scotty Sutton, secure and in place, coupled with founding member Aaron Gregory writing entirely in a bizarre, lower than ever, seven-string guitar tuning, and renown cellist Jackie Perez Gratz fresh of touring with her band, Grayceon, behind their landmark release earlier this year, All We Destroy, as well as recording with underground legends, Agalloch and Om, the band has been with out a doubt... affected, and poised to write the deepest, fastest, sludgiest material of their career. On Cenotes, they deliver just that. Riff worship meets gypsy jangle, progressive groove, Arabesque vocal harmonies, and adventurous song crafting.

Those eager to hear the new material can do so in early July, as GIANT SQUID will play Cenotes in its entirety at three Northern California shows, two of which are all ages. Dates are listed below, and are not to be missed, as they are the only gigs the band will be playing for the rest of the year, as Jackie and Aaron are expecting their first child in September, and will be busy with all the wonderful commitments of such!

GIANT SQUID shows in JULY 2011

Friday, July 1st, ALL AGES at Thee Parkside, San Francisco, CA w/ JUDGEMENT DAY, RAJAS
Friday, July 8th, 21+ at The Blue Lamp, Sacramento, CA w/ LA FIN DU MONDE
Saturday, July 9th, ALL AGES venue TBA, Chico, CA w/ LA FIN DU MONDE

:party: :bowdown: :party: :bowdown: :party: :bowdown: :party: :bowdown: :party: :bowdown: :party: :bowdown: :party: :bowdown:

idrinkwine732
04-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Friday, July 1st, ALL AGES at Thee Parkside, San Francisco, CA w/ JUDGEMENT DAY, RAJAS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YYYYYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It'll be my third time seeing them. Not too excited ;).

slapguitarer
04-25-2011, 09:27 PM

:bigfinger

But anywho, this made me so fucking happy.

Onioner
04-25-2011, 09:35 PM

Thee Parkside? ALL AGES?!!

Oh shit son, we're gonna get our post-rock on in the summer.

idrinkwine732
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM

Now all I need is to convince Aaron to play Metridium Fields (title track) live in its entirety and that'll be it.

slapguitarer
04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Now all I need is to convince Aaron to play Metridium Fields (title track) live in its entirety and that'll be it.

That would be amazing. But I'm sure the set-list will be fucking amazing. They're playing all of Cenotes.

idrinkwine732
04-25-2011, 09:54 PM
That would be amazing. But I'm sure the set-list will be fucking amazing. They're playing all of Cenotes.

I bet it'll be maybe 1:15, so assuming Cenotes is about 30-40 minutes, there's a lot of room for the setlist to still be good.

That is in comparison to their earlier sets from Ichthyologist shows, because those got sort of repetitive. I want Revolution in the Water and Ampullae!!!!!

slapguitarer
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I bet it'll be maybe 1:15, so assuming Cenotes is about 30-40 minutes, there's a lot of room for the setlist to still be good.

That is in comparison to their earlier sets from Ichthyologist shows, because those got sort of repetitive. I want Revolution in the Water and Ampullae!!!!!

YES :rocker: :drool:

Akumu
04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
<3 this band. Looking forward to it.

slapguitarer
05-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Cormorant has been added to the July 1st show at Thee Parkside

FUCK YEAH!

:bowdown: :rocker: :bowdown: :rocker: :bowdown: :rocker: :bowdown: :rocker: :bowdown: :rocker: :bowdown: :rocker: :bowdown: :rocker:

idrinkwine732
05-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Our July 1st > Your July 1st

Natrlhi
06-06-2011, 07:00 PM
^ Blow me, you fucking punks. :mad:

But seriously, this is awesomely good news - and this thread deserves a bump.

slapguitarer
06-06-2011, 07:03 PM
You should fly over. ;)

illuminatus917
06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
If I'm ever in the Bay Area, I'm going to slash some tires.

Natrlhi
06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
You should fly over. ;)I totally fucking should, and I just might. What's crazy is that I'm less worried about the money to do so than how in the fuckhell I'd ever get my wife to buy into it. :D

slapguitarer
06-06-2011, 07:10 PM
I totally fucking should, and I just might. What's crazy is that I'm less worried about the money to do so than how in the fuckhell I'd ever get my wife to buy into it. :D

If you folks like wine, the Bay Area is your place. We got Sonoma and Napa.

slapguitarer
06-06-2011, 07:12 PM
If I'm ever in the Bay Area, I'm going to slash some tires.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww351/pvn_2p2/u-mad___camron.jpg

Natrlhi
06-06-2011, 07:18 PM
If you folks like wine, the Bay Area is your place. We got Sonoma and Napa.Right about now, I totally wish my wife was a stinking drunk wino whore from hell, but alas - neither of us even drinks (anymore). I like where your head's at though, brother. :lol:

slapguitarer
06-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Well I know old folk like their wine, so I thought it was worth bringing up. ;)

illuminatus917
06-06-2011, 07:21 PM
If you folks like wine, the Bay Area is your place. We got Sonoma and Napa.

Y'all got some of that pinot grigio?! That's what we boys drink here in the south.

slapguitarer
06-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Y'all got some of that pinot grigio?! That's what we boys drink here in the south.

Say what? :eyes:

I don't speak wine.

Natrlhi
06-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Well I know old folk like their wine, so I thought it was worth bringing up. ;)You'll see how much of a geezer I am when I show up at that show and give you a new reason for being called Slappy.

slapguitarer
06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
You'll see how much of a geezer I am when I show up at that show and give you a new reason for being called Slappy.

:tp:
:eyes:
:eek:
:scared:
:snivel:

Natrlhi
06-08-2011, 05:09 AM

Neither Giant Squid nor Cormorant are post-rock, you goober. ;)

slapguitarer
07-05-2011, 06:20 PM
From Giant Squid's Facebook "...Mark your calendar for Oct 25th!!"

I'm guessing that's the release date for Cenotes :party:

Onioner
07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Neither Giant Squid nor Cormorant are post-rock, you goober. ;)

Progressive metal, post-metal, sludge metal, "this song's about sharks" metal, I don't even care anymore.

Natrlhi
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
"this song's about sharks" metalDing! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

...but seriously, I've always thought of them as post-metal and / or sludge mixed together. It's the "rock" part of "Post Rock" that I was really commenting about. They're way too heavy for that term to apply. ;)

mankvill
07-06-2011, 11:35 AM
"this song's about sharks" metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVXK4NCvQ5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn9_EQ2ykyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMx007oliiw

slapguitarer
07-06-2011, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaukBjT3guw

Natrlhi
07-06-2011, 11:58 AM
You're all a bunch of Giant Squid n00bz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFzL_yJ0g2U

EDIT - Plus, this one actually IS about sharks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bII6SfW0eBQ

Akumu
08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
NEEEEEEW SONG: http://giantsquid.bandcamp.com/ :party:

moobys37
08-03-2011, 04:14 PM
http://f.bandcamp.com/z/36/14/361445048-1.jpg

Dat Artwork :drool:

idrinkwine732
08-03-2011, 04:35 PM
I love it all.

slapguitarer
08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
nbd, I've already heard it. ;)

Dat artwork :drool:

RK2THIS
09-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Pre-order for CENOTES is up at translationloss.com (http://www.translationloss.com), now!! Excited for y'all to hear it. Special limited shirt package available as well.

Natrlhi
09-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Pre-order for CENOTES is up at translationloss.com (http://www.translationloss.com), now!! Excited for y'all to hear it. Special limited shirt package available as well.
The T-shirt for the pre-order package isn't available in anything larger than XL?!?

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me. :lame: :bouville:

moobys37
09-13-2011, 11:18 AM
The T-shirt for the pre-order package isn't available in anything larger than XL?!?

Not only that, but 15 bucks for a 5 song ep is rather pricey, even with shipping :eyes:

Natrlhi
09-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Not only that, but 15 bucks for a 5 song ep is rather pricey, even with shipping :eyes:Not to mention that - dare I say it - the one song I've heard so far really didn't thrill me.

In the words of Han Solo...I've got a bad feeling about this. :snivel:

ShatteredFlame
09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
I listened to their last album twice yesterday. I need to get use to the vocals, really different from most.

slapguitarer
09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Not to mention that - dare I say it - the one song I've heard so far really didn't thrill me.

Believe me, it's worth it. I saw the whole thing live, and it was heavy as fuck.

idrinkwine732
09-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Not to mention that - dare I say it - the one song I've heard so far really didn't thrill me.

Believe me, it's worth it. I saw the whole thing live, and it was heavy as fuck.

He's right. Try not to rock out to Mating Scars when you hear it.

RK2THIS
09-13-2011, 10:08 PM

If you write the label, they'll make it in whatever size you need. The shirts won't be ordered for a bit to figure out demand so they can arrange to have it done. Hit em up. We've had other 2xl and 3xl shirts sitting at cottoncrustacean.com for months, collecting dust. See what we have in stock there too and you'll support us directly.

As far as cost of the CD goes, again we don't control that. We just spend thousands upon thousands of dollars out of our own pocket, about 4x the very meager "advance" amount given by the label, to travel to Seattle and record this album. It's a five song EP, that totals nearly 35 minutes of music. That's three bucks a song, sent to your door!! $.42 a minute of the heaviest, greatest sounding stuff we've ever done!!

Figura Serpentinata is one of the most important and greatest songs I've ever written. You obviously just weren't listening to it loud enough. Try again.

moobys37
09-14-2011, 04:37 PM
As far as cost of the CD goes, again we don't control that. We just spend thousands upon thousands of dollars out of our own pocket, about 4x the very meager "advance" amount given by the label, to travel to Seattle and record this album. It's a five song EP, that totals nearly 35 minutes of music. That's three bucks a song, sent to your door!! $.42 a minute of the heaviest, greatest sounding stuff we've ever done!!

Of course I'm still going to get it, but I might have to either wait for the vinyl or get the shirt as well for it to be more cost-effective. Either way, you'll be getting my money! :cool: I hope you guys can come to the east coast and tour for this in the near future.

You obviously just weren't listening to it loud enough. Try again.

This made me laugh much harder than it should have.

RK2THIS
09-14-2011, 10:32 PM
East is going to happen. Planning a weekend fly out where we'll play Philly and Brooklyn, possibly Haboken. It would most likely be in early May-ish. Hope that's close to you!

And, I'm just busting balls on here. Artists hardly ever chime in. I think it's good for people to know a lot of us see most everything out there, and care what all y'all want/like/crave!

RK2THIS
09-14-2011, 10:48 PM
NEEEEEEW SONG: http://giantsquid.bandcamp.com/ :party:

We had to pull the sample track, Figura Serpentinata for a couple different reasons, which is why there is an error in the player. But…
here is a video of us trying our best not to fuck it up live, followed by Revolution in the Water and a Subhumans cover – http://www.youtube.com/user/giantaaron#p/a/u/0/Rvu8-Upvo_s

Enjoy!

idrinkwine732
09-15-2011, 06:50 AM
The whole EP was killer live, so yeah, this won't disappoint one bit. Have no fear, Squiddies.

Natrlhi
09-16-2011, 12:26 AM
If you write the label, they'll make it in whatever size you need. The shirts won't be ordered for a bit to figure out demand so they can arrange to have it done. Hit em up. We've had other 2xl and 3xl shirts sitting at cottoncrustacean.com for months, collecting dust. See what we have in stock there too and you'll support us directly.

Figura Serpentinata is one of the most important and greatest songs I've ever written. You obviously just weren't listening to it loud enough. Try again.Well don't I feel like a fucking tool. I had a feeling that "RK2THIS" may have been somebody closely asociated with the band, but I didn't think it was actually you, Aaron. :lol:

Look, just to set the record straight, you're gonna get my money, no doubt - just like my boy Moobys below posted. It's just that this thing about t-shirt sizes is a long-running pet peeve of mine. It prevents me from getting badass clothing from bands that I love on so many occasions it just makes me sick. Glad to know there will be options available to those us us who are actually taller than Jackie. ;)

Speaking of which, I doubt you'll remember this, but I'm the big dude named Chris who met all you guys when you played that hole in the wall bar called White Star in Chicago in 2009. I drove 350 miles from my home in Cleveland to Chicago to see Depeche Mode at Lollapalooza, and then to see you guys the following night (a show which I attended despite the fact that Tool was headlining Lolla that same night!). You guys were all great to me that night - I'll never forget it. (Gig report here) (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10997)

So fuck yeah, I'll be buying the CD (I mean, I own copy #22 of the original CD release of "The Ichthyologist", so...yeah :D). I'm probably just afraid I have my expectations jacked up so high that no band anywhere ever could possibly fulfill them, but if I were to make a list of bands which could potentially blow me the fuck away with only five songs, you guys would be on it. :rocker:

Oh, and please try your damnedest to come as close to Cleveland as you can. Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Columbus - any of those would work. I don't know if I could make it all the way out to the East Coast, though - so you seafarin' folk will just have to make it a little further inland, if you please! :snivel:

Natrlhi
09-16-2011, 12:37 AM
He's right. Try not to rock out to Mating Scars when you hear it.Well the lyrics are fucking badass, I know that much. So oceanic in their references, and also so personal at the same time. :fist:

Lots of shark references in there, too. Sharks fucking rule. :rocker:

RK2THIS
09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Tis all good Chris! Totally remember you. That was a strange bar indeed! Like I said, just busting nuts. Write the label for sure though on shirt sizes, maybe on their facebook or something.

RK2THIS
09-16-2011, 11:38 AM
REVOLVER Magazine is doing a world premier of Figura Serpentinata (Pycnopodia sapien). It's the only place you'll be able to hear it for a while, so please come rock it LOUD, say some stuff, show us some love if you got it!! We're very proud to gain such great exposure. :rocker:

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-giant-squid-premiere-new-track-figura-serpentinata-pycnopodia-sapien.html

masterguy49
09-16-2011, 02:01 PM
East is going to happen. Planning a weekend fly out where we'll play Philly and Brooklyn, possibly Haboken. It would most likely be in early May-ish. Hope that's close to you!

And, I'm just busting balls on here. Artists hardly ever chime in. I think it's good for people to know a lot of us see most everything out there, and care what all y'all want/like/crave!

If you guys somehow come to South Florida, I'll love you forever :D

slapguitarer
09-16-2011, 02:23 PM
REVOLVER Magazine is doing a world premier of Figura Serpentinata (Pycnopodia sapien). It's the only place you'll be able to hear it for a while, so please come rock it LOUD, say some stuff, show us some love if you got it!! We're very proud to gain such great exposure. :rocker:

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-giant-squid-premiere-new-track-figura-serpentinata-pycnopodia-sapien.html

That's awesome! It's great to see talented musicians get the exposure they deserve. :rocker:

hb420
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
My copy of Cenotes just came in :party: Going to get :stoned: as hell and listen to it.

EDIT: This is their greatest work yet, holy shit. So fucking heavy and mesmerizing. All five tracks are killer, hearing the whole thing live would have been amazing. EXTREMELY jealous of Wine and Slap for getting to see this.

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 12:10 PM

Figura Serpentinata is one of the most important and greatest songs I've ever written. You obviously just weren't listening to it loud enough. Try again.Time for a bump.

First and foremost, the EP is awesome. Sorry if I ever left an impression that I had any serious doubts. I guess the samples I heard of "Figura Serpentinata" just didn't hit me the right way right off the bat. That happens a lot with online streaming samples. Having said that, I think I love "Tongue Stones" and "Snakehead" the most. Also, that rolling drum outro on Cenotes is just fucking beastly and beautiful. What a fantastic way to end the album. It's like a lumbering ocean beast that just got done smashing our poor ship to matchsticks, swimming off into the distance. :D

Also, I did hit up the label for the pre-order shirt in a larger size, and they were very friendly about it, but unfortunately they were unable to accommodate the request because the order had already been placed. Guess I'll just have to buy some more Squidwear when I see you guys live. You know what that means. Tour stop in Cleveland, bitches! :fist: OK, I know it may not sound all that tempting, but we are a far more awesome town than many folks give us credit for, and the metal scene here is pretty decent (plus, we have a great big damn lake!). You guys would be a perfect fit for a place like the Grog Shop. That crowd would love you folks something fierce.

That, or just stop by someplace that's not all the way out on the East Coast. That place sucks. Fuck the Atlantic Ocean, man - the Pacific is where all the good shit is! :D

Peace out, and congrats on the squidling if that's appropriate to say at this time.

The Nat :horns:

larvtard
11-28-2011, 12:17 PM
I checked this out actually... was a lot more accessible than the previous album. As far as violin-based doom/sludge goes, this may just be better than SubRosa :fist:

mankvill
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
violin-based doom/sludge

What an extensive genre!

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I checked this out actually... was a lot more accessible than the previous album. As far as violin-based doom/sludge goes, this may just be better than SubRosa :fist:Whoa...hold up there, bud.

Lucky for you that Giant Squid employs a cello and not a violin, therefore nullifying your comment on the grounds of technical inaccuracy. Otherwise, I would have had to kick your pansy ass. You know, through the internet.

Best Violin-Based Doom Album of 2011: No Help for the Mighty Ones
Best Cello-Based Sludge Album of 2011: Cenotes

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/29/canigetana128539371516250000.jpg
This bear is just for you, LOGAN. :finger:

larvtard
11-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Whoa...hold up there, bud.

Lucky for you that Giant Squid employs a cello and not a violin, therefore nullifying your comment on the grounds of technical inaccuracy. Otherwise, I would have had to kick your pansy ass. You know, through the internet.

Best Cello-Based Sludge Album of 2011: Cenotes

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/29/canigetana128539371516250000.jpg
This bear is just for you, LOGAN. :finger:

Cello, violin, same thing :tp:

But seriously, no reason to get your panties in a knot... you should be praising me for my distinguished taste :cool:

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Cello, violin, same thing :tp:Wrong.

But seriously, no reason to get your panties in a knot... you should be praising me for my distinguished taste :cool::lol: If my panties were actually in a knot, you wouldn't have gotten a pic of a nice fuzzy wuzzy bear.

slapguitarer
11-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Best Cello-Based Sludge Album of 2011: All We Destroy
Best Cello-Based Sludge EP of 2011: Cenotes

Fixed ;)

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Fixed ;)You are correct! Thanks for clearing up that massive oversight on my part. :fist:

slapguitarer
11-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I didn't know where else to post this so fuck it

If you're a fan of Giant Squid, or Aaron's t-shirt company, Cotton Crustacean, help him get their foot in door and pledge on the kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2097143397/original-prehistoric-illustrations-on-premium-t-sh

There are tons of prizes for donations, like prints of the illustrations or t-shirts. Do it if you like the band, or just want cool t-shirts of with badass designs of extinct aquatic monsters. :D