PDA

View Full Version : New Big 4 of the 2000's?

jd091
04-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Metalsucks posted an interesting article about this which prompted me to think: if you had to pick a "big 4" of 2000 - 2009, what would you choose?

To me, the 00's were defined mostly by Lamb of God, Mastodon, and Killswitch Engage. I guess you could throw in Trivium, also. Agree? Disagree?

Indestructible
04-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Disturbed, Slipknot, System Of A Down, Avenged Sevenfold

jd091
04-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Disturbed, Slipknot, System Of A Down, Avenged Sevenfold

Thats true, but I feel like those bands represented the front half of the 2000's more, verses Lamb of God and Mastodon influencing the latter half. Good point though.

christopher
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
When you say 2000 on, do you mean bands that started after that point? Majority of the bands listed in this thread stated between 94 and 96. LOG and SOAD started in 94, Slipknot in 95, disturbed in 96.

IrritatedTrout
04-25-2011, 12:19 PM
None at all. Mastodon and System of a Down are great but they technically started in the 90's.

mankvill
04-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I think we've had a thread like this before

daimonos
04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
How much I like the bands has nothing to do with which ones I picked, but these are what I think are the big 4 of the 2000's.

Lamb of God
Slipknot
Black Label Society
System of a Down

Also maybe Disturbed? Just speculation on my part, dunno how correct I actually am.

Dextrimental
04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Trivium
Lamb Of God
Avenged Sevenfold
Bullet For My Valentine

Those are the main four I think, with Killswitch Engage and Stone Sour being just below that. And then theres the Nu Metal guys who were a generation before that, Disturbed, Korn, Slipknot and Linkin Park.

jd091
04-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I think we've had a thread like this before

I think I've heard you say that before

When you say 2000 on, do you mean bands that started after that point? Majority of the bands listed in this thread stated between 94 and 96. LOG and SOAD started in 94, Slipknot in 95, disturbed in 96.

I was just speculating on bands that represent the decade as a whole, and starting when their albums came out. True, LOG technically started back in the 90's, but New American Gospel wasn't released until 2000. I'm not counting Burn the Priest. KSE's self titled debut came out in 2000, and Mastodon's Lifesblood came out in 2001.

To me, I don't count Disturbed or Slipknot. Why? Because they represent the age of Nu-metal, which I feel is grounded more in the late 90's, and not representative of the 00 decade as a whole. 2004/5 we saw the decline of nu-metal, and the rise of popular metalcore in America, which I attribute directly to Lamb of God and KSE, which in turn spawned all this deathcore, sumeriancore, djent, whatever it is now. So LOG and KSE trump Slipknot and Disturbed.

And Mastodon is just tits. All I'm sayin'.

ravenheart
04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Surely this depends on what you're trying to compare.

A new big four of thrash metal, which was the whole point of the original big four, would look very different.

And are we talking the four bands who have made the biggest contributions and changes to heavy metal? Because most of the lists above just seem to be four bands who got popular.

jd091
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Surely this depends on what you're trying to compare.

A new big four of thrash metal, which was the whole point of the original big four, would look very different.

And are we talking the four bands who have made the biggest contributions and changes to heavy metal? Because most of the lists above just seem to be four bands who got popular.

Lets say its the 4 bands who 20 years from now, we will look back and say they had the biggest influence on metal. We can make separate categories if we want, like 4 biggest prog influences or 4 biggest extreme metal influences, or 4 biggest -core influences.

MPF
04-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Thinking of bands who started their noticable contributions starting in the year 2000 or after:

Avenged Sevenfold
Killswitch Engage
Lamb Of God
Mastodon

A lot of the bands mentioned for far got popular from 97-99. I also really wanted to add Between the Buried And Me, but they have yet to make it as big as any of those 4. :(

Maiden33
04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
I believe Brad already tackled this subject in a very unique fashion. ;)

ravenheart
04-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Lets say its the 4 bands who 20 years from now, we will look back and say they had the biggest influence on metal. We can make separate categories if we want, like 4 biggest prog influences or 4 biggest extreme metal influences, or 4 biggest -core influences.

Well then, Avenged Sevenfold, BFMV, BLS and several of the others mentioned here are pretty ridiculous suggestions. If for no other reason that they started so late in the '90s that their effect wasn't felt at all until the 2000s.

I'd go with:

KoRn
Opeth
Pantera (yes, I know they started as a glam metal band before that, but that's hardly ever been relevant on any scale ;))

I think of all the bands who really gave heavy music a new lease of life in the '90s in terms of getting kids into it again, KoRn did something. I don't think their output has the longevity of real classic stuff at all, most of it isn't even very good, but at the time of their first three albums they pretty much started, for better or worse, the hoodie-wearing metal kids thing.

Opeth and Pantera need no justification.

Just need to think of a fourth now.

DementedX14
04-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Avenged sevenfold, Lamb of God, Slipknot, Mastodon are my big four of the previous decade.

ChildrenofSodom
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
In my opinion there weren't any game changers, and there never will be again, in the world of metal comparable to the original Big Four. Its a lame argument, but most bands today are derivatives of old styles. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of bands playing hoy en dia, but there aren't any exceptionally original acts that deserve special designation over all the others.

I would throw Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, and maybe Shadows Fall out there as bands that popularized metalcore in the 2000s, but they didn't start in that decade and their music wasn't all that ground breaking. And I don't think Mastodon belongs on any "most influential" list because, quite honestly, I haven't seen very many bands try to imitate their sound. Are they popular? Yes. But have they spawned a new subgenre? No, and this hypothetical subgenre, even if it does exist, certainly didn't dominate metal in the 2000s.

TonyD
04-28-2011, 11:27 AM
It's dumb to try to make a Big 4. Everybody likes to make lists and all, but metal will probably never be as united behind one subgenre as it was for thrash in the 80's

JRA
04-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Opeth
Was the underground even paying that much attention to them before Blackwater Park?

larvtard
04-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Avenged sevenfold, Lamb of God, Slipknot, Mastodon are my big four of the previous decade.

That's exactly mine

illuminatus917
04-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Anaal Nathrakh, Enslaved, Moonsorrow, Alcest.

NickLed19
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
That's exactly mine

Yeah I would agree with that.

ChildrenofSodom
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
If there isn't any criteria for this thing, then here's mine: Between the Buried and Me, Protest the Hero, Opeth, Mastodon.

ravenheart
04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Wait, wasn't this the big 4 of the 90s a moment ago?

That makes these lists even more retarded. Seriously, can people stop naming Avenged Sevenfold? They've made NO difference to metal whatsoever.

ravenheart
04-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Was the underground even paying that much attention to them before Blackwater Park?

They did here. It was only you lot who were late to the party.

Dextrimental
04-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Wait, wasn't this the big 4 of the 90s a moment ago?

That makes these lists even more retarded. Seriously, can people stop naming Avenged Sevenfold? They've made NO difference to metal whatsoever.

They have in the young 'uns.. they did for this generation what metallica did for theirs, inspired them to get into music and pic up an instrument..

El Gordo
04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
They have in the young 'uns.. they did for this generation what metallica did for theirs, inspired them to get into music and pic up an instrument..

I have a real hard time drawing any kind of parallel betwen Avenged Sevenfold and early Metallica. Sure the kids love Avenged Sevenfold, but Metallica were the catalyst of an entirely new sub-genre. Pretty much changed the face of metal, with the help of a couple others. What have Avenged Sevenfold done that comes even close to that? Even their logo is unoriginal. :lol:

MPF
04-28-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm not much of a fan of Avenged Sevenfold, but you can't deny their popularity for almost a decade now. They are one of the biggest Hard Rock bands in quite some time. They are doing what sells, and that's what is making them big.

That's why I picked them. I don't like what they are doing anymore, but it is very hard to argue the impact they've made. Whether it sucks or not is up to the individual.

ChildrenofSodom
04-28-2011, 06:14 PM
By that standard, lets throw HIM into the mix.

MPF
04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
By that standard, lets throw HIM into the mix.

I know it could be different with where you live, but I've yet to ever hear HIM on mainstream Rock radio, or for that matter have a number 1 album in the States.

ChildrenofSodom
04-28-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't have an opinion of A7X, besides their dumbass fans all over youtube. They post the dumbest comments and thumbs up like there's no tomorrow.

ATTENTION ALL Jimmy "the REV" Sullivan FANS

On December 28th (before if you can't make it) we will all watch "Nightmare" in honor of the greatest drummer ever glory. Let's give him the best present ever: the highest viewed video on YouTube!! Let's give him what he deserves and what Justin Beiber does not deserve to have!

Copy and paste to all A7X videos and all music videos let's get this noticed quickly!

THUMBS THIS UP

LET'S GET THIS NOTICED

MPF
04-28-2011, 06:23 PM
*Snip

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

This is why I don't follow trends.

larvtard
04-28-2011, 07:15 PM
I have a real hard time drawing any kind of parallel betwen Avenged Sevenfold and early Metallica. Sure the kids love Avenged Sevenfold, but Metallica were the catalyst of an entirely new sub-genre. Pretty much changed the face of metal, with the help of a couple others. What have Avenged Sevenfold done that comes even close to that? Even their logo is unoriginal. :lol:

I didn't say they created a new subgenre, but you can't deny that they pretty much defined 2000s metal. Even if they're not really metal.:lol:

illuminatus917
04-28-2011, 07:25 PM
♥♥A7X♥♥

El Gordo
04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
I didn't say they created a new subgenre, but you can't deny that they pretty much defined 2000s metal. Even if they're not really metal.:lol:

:hecho:

Dextrimental
04-29-2011, 07:10 PM
:hecho:

In terms of influence they had gotten alot of kids into metal and playing guitar. Regardless of your opinion of the band, that is a stone cold fact.

ravenheart
04-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Popularity absolutely does not equal importance. Avenged Sevenfold have done nothing for music. They're just popular. The big four were the big four because they changed something.

Otherwise the big four of any era is simply the four bands who sold the most albums and concert tickets, which is meaningless.

Dextrimental
04-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Popularity absolutely does not equal importance. Avenged Sevenfold have done nothing for music. They're just popular. The big four were the big four because they changed something.

Otherwise the big four of any era is simply the four bands who sold the most albums and concert tickets, which is meaningless.

I would wager they have. Listen to Unholy Confessions the amount of bands who have ripped off the style of riff and song-writing is ridiculous. Avenged are at the forefront of this whole scene at the moment, much like what Metallica etc. were as well. They aen't changing something as radical as what the Big 4 did, noone is saying that, but they definitely part of the bigger picture in terms of our generation.

MPF
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
I would wager they have. Listen to Unholy Confessions the amount of bands who have ripped off the style of riff and song-writing is ridiculous. Avenged are at the forefront of this whole scene at the moment, much like what Metallica etc. were as well. They aen't changing something as radical as what the Big 4 did, noone is saying that, but they definitely part of the bigger picture in terms of our generation.

Sadly, you are right.

Dextrimental
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Sadly, you are right.

I never said I was happy about it. I'm a fan of Avenged, and Synster is a truly talented guitarist, as was The Rev (R.I.P) but they are huge, and enormously influential on the scene of the moment.

ravenheart
04-29-2011, 08:13 PM
If ruining killer verses and riffs with awful choruses (seriously, nearly every fucking song) is making a mark on music, then sure, I agree.

Otherwise... I'm hearing nothing. They've just taken bits of a bunch of other bands. Nothing's new there. Don't get me wrong, I actually dig the last couple of albums (and I'd dig them a lot more if they didn't keep bottling the choruses and going pop on them), but really their current sound stuff is mostly just Corabi-era Motley Crue.

And influencing kids to get into music and pick up instruments doesn't count either. That's just a natural bi-product of being popular. It's like saying Miley Cyrus has had a big impact on music because she's influenced a lot of teenage girls to sing :hecho:

christopher
04-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while. Nothing comes to mind cause most of the new bands from the last decade aren't really worth listing as the Big 4 of the 2000s. I can see how A7X and Trivium could be listed as the popular vote. I would throw Black Dahlia Murder in there cause they seem to be a band that will have a strong following in the core scene for a long time and will probably influence a lot of those shitty core bands from years to come.

Dextrimental
04-29-2011, 10:37 PM
If ruining killer verses and riffs with awful choruses (seriously, nearly every fucking song) is making a mark on music, then sure, I agree.

Otherwise... I'm hearing nothing. They've just taken bits of a bunch of other bands. Nothing's new there. Don't get me wrong, I actually dig the last couple of albums (and I'd dig them a lot more if they didn't keep bottling the choruses and going pop on them), but really their current sound stuff is mostly just Corabi-era Motley Crue.

And influencing kids to get into music and pick up instruments doesn't count either. That's just a natural bi-product of being popular. It's like saying Miley Cyrus has had a big impact on music because she's influenced a lot of teenage girls to sing :hecho:

As I said, I agree, they aren't making a huge change in music, but their particular style of song-writing is being copied by alot of bands, and will continue to be. Avenged are part of the bigger picture of metal right now, and will be one of the titans in years to come. Guaranteed.

And of course influencing future generations counts. Thats how the Big 4 got where they are. They INFLUENCED generations, and are still influencing generations.

IrritatedTrout
04-30-2011, 10:12 AM
You guys generalize "our" generation waaaay too much. I got into metal in 2004 and I never once thought any of these shit bands like Slipknot, A7X, or the like was any good at all.

Makes us all look terrible, man.:lol:

jd091
05-01-2011, 11:39 PM
there are no bands in the 2000's that have changed the game of Heavy Metal at all

CONVERGE. JANE DOE.

:hmm:

idrinkwine732
05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
there are no bands in the 2000's that have changed the game of Heavy Metal at all

:hmm:

mankvill
05-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Bands who changed metal in the 2000's:

Mastodon
Converge
Celtic Frost (I honestly believe Monotheist showed that reunion albums can be among the best a band can release)
Cynic
BTBAM
Arsis
Anaal Nathrakh (deal with it)

Maybe also Mayhem with the amazing Ordo Ad Chao.

illuminatus917
05-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Bands who changed metal in the 2000's:

Mastodon
Converge
Celtic Frost (I honestly believe Monotheist showed that reunion albums can be among the best a band can release)

Maybe also Mayhem with the amazing Ordo Ad Chao.

No Bring Me The Horizon? ;)

mankvill
05-02-2011, 12:10 AM
No Bring Me The Horizon? ;)

I said metal bands, not amazing, best-ever, better-than-the-Beatles bands.

illuminatus917
05-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I said metal bands, not amazing, best-ever, better-than-the-Beatles bands.

:lol:

Glad that's cleared up.

brutal_descent
05-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Mastodon
Converge
Dillinger Escape Plan
Between the Buried and Me

jd091
05-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Mastodon
Converge
Dillinger Escape Plan
Between the Buried and Me

The more I think about it, the more I like this. :bliss:

Shadowswillfall414
05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Well im stuck between 2 lists so:

Killswitch engage
Shadows fall
Unearth
All that remains

and for some reason:

Slipknot
Disturbed
Korn
Deftones

HandOfDoom
05-11-2011, 03:54 AM
From purely popularity standpoint:

Slipknot
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold
Lamb of God

Im also thinking System of A Down,

In my own happy little world it would be

Tool
Mastodon
High On Fire
Gojira

goregutsbleed
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
i deleted my last post cause i take that back the metalcore genre changed the game and some black/death metal bands have to and i like only a few deathcore bands but most of them brought us all the emo kids

Namaste
06-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold

and/or

Dragonforce
Slipknot
In Flames
Mastodon