PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Fire -- Chicago, IL -- April 24th, 2011

DethMaiden
04-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Dear Metal Police: Please don't move this thread; I want to be able to retrieve it with the setlist tags, which I use regularly. Then listen to the opening riff to "Wake Up" and cry because whatever you turned off to play it isn't as heavy. :fingers:

This show was in-fucking-credible. AF gave the set of the year so far for me hands down. They also have the best "whoa-oh" bits, clapping and singalongs of any band outside of Maiden. This is an inarguable fact. The National were also really good, and I need to get on some more of their stuff – I only have "Boxer."

Arcade Fire is playing three shows in Chicago this weekend, and the set differed a bit from the first show to tonight. Basically, we picked "My Body Is A Cage" and "City With No Children" and lost "Sprawl I (Flatland)," which is fine by me because MBIAC was probably the highlight of the set. Okay, enough stream-of-consciousness rambling. No proper review planned.

The National:

Anyone's Ghost
Mistaken For Strangers
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Slow Show
Squalor Victoria
Afraid Of Everyone
Conversation 16
Apartment Story
England
Fake Empire
Start A War (With Win Butler)
Mr. November
Terrible Love

Arcade Fire:

Month of May
Rebellion (Lies)
Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
City With No Children
Rococo
Intervention
The Suburbs
The Suburbs (Continued)
My Body Is a Cage
No Cars Go
Haiti
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
We Used to Wait
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
---
Ready to Start
Keep the Car Running
Wake Up

So. So. Good. If you want more details ask because I'll be telling stories from this show for months.

Dextrimental
04-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Two good friends of mine seen this in Dublin in December, said it was amazing. Did the band do any little jams or whatever?

Not a huge fan of them, but they are growing on me increasingly. So glad they won that award over Gaga and Eminem, very deserved, this band earned where they are.

mankvill
04-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Fantastic fucking band. The one thing the Grammy's did right this year was giving them Album Of the Year.

DethMaiden
04-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Two good friends of mine seen this in Dublin in December, said it was amazing. Did the band do any little jams or whatever?

They jammed out the end of Ready to Start for a couple of minutes but otherwise they pretty much stuck to the studio versions.

jhdeity
04-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I own several of their cd's so I did what you said. I threw in Funeral, skipped ahead to Track 7 and just sat there befuddled. it's not a hateful song by any means, but heavy?

They do seem kinda fun and summer-ish so I can't say I wouldn't see them live if i had free tix. I just don't get the whole obsession over them.

Related and kinda not story: My buddy is obsessed with Mumford & Sons. He said I have to watch Lollapalooza on Palladia and catch them. Once again, not hateful but I was having a flashback to the movie Brother, Where Art Thou? I liked the movie and that style of music but why is this band blowing up like they are? I just don't get it.

Then Gogol Bordello comes on. A band I've heard openly dissed on here but never had an opinion on. WOW! They were awesome. I mean seriously the energy and fun they were having and giving off to the crowd blew me away.

Funny how that happens...

christopher
04-25-2011, 11:28 AM
I would love to see this band one day. They played out here last week but it ws Coachella and that was $273 a ticket :mad: I would be happy with that set but would like it more if they added Modern Man

jd091
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Where in Chicago did they play?

DethMaiden
04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Where in Chicago did they play?

UIC Pavilion. All three shows were there and all three sold out.

bigguytoo9
04-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Arcade Fire are fucking BRILLIANT live!!!!!!! I have seen them once for each of their 3 full lengths and all 3 times have destroyed. Win Butler and co know whats up, especially when picking selists. Which seems pretty fantastic from this Chicago show.

illuminatus917
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Arcade Fire are fucking BRILLIANT live!!!!!!! I have seen them once for each of their 3 full lengths and all 3 times have destroyed. Win Butler and co know whats up, especially when picking selists. Which seems pretty fantastic from this Chicago show.

Judging by this one, I'd agree. Fantastic set.

ShatteredFlame
04-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I wish this came to the East Coast. I'm still kicking myself for missing them last year at MSG. Especially at $40 a ticket.

mastodon421
04-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Nice set. I like Arcade Fire and I would like to see them someday. They were really awesome as the musical guests on an episode of SNL this season. Judging from that performance, it seems like they are a fantastic live band

The National isn't bad either, one of the people that posts a movie forum I frequent is in love with them and I checked them out through him and what I heard was pretty decent.