PDA

View Full Version : Decline of quality on Metal Setlists

Butcher of Birth
04-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Rant start:

The fuck has happened in the past year and a half? The fuck happened to the overall standard of posts? It's gone faster than (insert joke about whore, your mother, or your whore of a mother). It is so sad how this once shining site has so many divides between old and new members and from there taste in music.

It's not like I'm gonna pull a Maiden33 and retire once a season ;) but I'm saying it's become harder and harder to deal with you lot. It's pathetic.

Mostly I'm just pissed at the members who just troll for the sake of trolling.

In case someone needed to post the following pictures in response, I got ya covered:

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6618482/You-mad-bro.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=YOU-MAD-BRO-LOL

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/71/haters.jpg

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu232/otherbliss/TrollFace.png

MPF
04-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Even though I am somewhat in the middle hear (not old, not new). I just say, why let it get to you?

I mean that in general, not directly at you.

I mean yeah, there has been a lot of fucking stupid posts here in the last year and a half, but a lot of them are so bad that you either have to take it as a joke, or it's unintentionally hilarious. It's not as if the entire board is this way now. There's still lots of great guys here. And even the ones who make this place sad/unintentionally hilarious have made some legendary threads here as well (You know who you are. Don't stop reaching for that rainbow!)

All in all I find it a good break from the typical bitching I find elsewhere. Thank your lucky stars that more Mayhem kids haven't shown up that aren't already here and left already. The good ones stick around.

Maiden33
04-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Rant start:It's not like I'm gonna pull a Maiden33 and retire once a season ;) but I'm saying it's become harder and harder to deal with you lot. It's pathetic.

Hey asshole, it's usually only once a year. :tongue: :D

jd091
04-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Hey... the site started to decline around the same time I joined this site...

:eyes:

*clears voice* YEAH, IRON MAIDEN! WOOO!

Dextrimental
04-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Pretty much what MPF said, don't let it get to you. Most users on here have gotten seriously pissed over trivial issues, and it serves no purpose. Just drop, take a look around, and remember its just an internet forum!

orlandodavis
04-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Sepultura69 needs to post more.:rocker:

jd091
04-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Sepultura69 needs to post more.:rocker:

You see, Sep, I'm not the ONLY one who appreciates your posts!

mankvill
04-25-2011, 01:53 AM
I would definitely love to see a decline in image macros and size 7 bold fonts saying "cool story bro" because that just pretty much tells me "hey, I don't ever need to read anything this person posts ever again"

other than that, I love you guys and I take everything in stride as should you all.

deathcore fucking sucks

orlandodavis
04-25-2011, 02:04 AM
I would definitely love to see a decline in image macros and size 7 bold fonts saying "cool story bro" because that just pretty much tells me "hey, I don't ever need to read anything this person posts ever again"

other than that, I love you guys and I take everything in stride as should you all.

deathcore fucking sucks

I like Sepultura. He's funny without being a douchebag.

mankvill
04-25-2011, 02:07 AM
I like Sepultura. He's funny without being a douchebag.

Yeah, he's cool. He used to go a bit overboard but he's cooled down. One of the bro's! :cool:

orlandodavis
04-25-2011, 02:08 AM
:)

Sepultura69
04-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Hey, I only do it when it needs to be done. And if it needs to be done then...well, it needs to be done. :cool:

And thanks for the lovely words guys:cool:

Also @ Topic Creator. I hope these "New people" you are reffering to isn't me. I will admit, I was hella annoying when I first joined this board, and my Bold fonted posts probably wasn't helping either :cool:

But could ya eva forgive a brother :bliss: :hecho:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Like any Internet forum, there's always going to be riff-raff to deal with. For the most part everyone on here seems pretty cool. Not too much bullshit. MSL has become my go-to metal board. You guys seem to have the metal news & set lists before everyone else.

Nick_to_the_face
04-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey... the site started to decline around the same time I joined this site...

:eyes:

*clears voice* YEAH, IRON MAIDEN! WOOO!

This..except i actually like Iron Maiden :tongue:

but seriously..i hope im not one these guys :eyes:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-25-2011, 09:07 AM
I think it's only natural that it's going to change a bit. The first people that really came over here in any numbers were all from the Dance of Death era IMBB, so at first this place really had that sort of a vibe. But that was seven years ago. And people come and go and things will change. People will always disagree on music. Always, always, always. It's not exactly like the "old members" were all in agreement with each other. Like I said, the only common thing at first was really Iron Maiden, and even then, it's not like everybody that started here even had the same opinion of Iron Maiden.

I think this place is great. It's the only metal community I even bother checking anymore. The sets that I'm interested in are usually here, and the actual commentary on the shows is a lot better then what you'd get at say setlist.fm. Plus I love that I don't have to visit Blabbermouth and sift through the stories when the ones that are usually interesting and worth reading just end up here :lol:

Oh, and user #9 :ecw: :fist:

;)

ShatteredFlame
04-25-2011, 09:19 AM
I just hate the setlist bitching, which is most awful in the Big 4 and Iron Maiden sets. My main problem with that is it's most of the time caused by people who were not even at the show, who can't even give an opinion about their experience.

Other than that, I think this place is great. I get updated on metal tours, which usually take forever to be posted on the hipster blogs I go to. I find knowing the setlist pretty helpful and users are incredibly quick, usually putting the sets up at 2 am when they get home from the show.

IrritatedTrout
04-25-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm not real old yet not super new either. But I do see what you mean. I think the recent influx of bad posts has to do with the Mayhem kids that came over here when WolverineKills was posting all those Mayhem rumors. The worst of them seem to have left now so that's a good thing. Even with it's share of bad posters, I really enjoy this place. I used to use the metal board over at GameFAQs.com and now I check back there once every couple of weeks and can only stand to read topics there for a couple minutes before I give up. So much ignorance and bullshit there.

I'm also really glad this place has a certain amount of members that appreciate real hard rock. I hardly listen to any metal bands anymore besides the major ones yet I find much better rock n roll discussions and fans here than any other rock forum I've ever checked out. Too many people on those other boards are into recent shit instead of the classic stuff. A lot of metal bands were influenced by those 70s and 80s bands so I guess that's why metal fans in general have better taste in hard rock than a lot of other people.:2cents:

ravenheart
04-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah there are some annoying kids here, but to be honest, this is nothing compared to a board that actually has problems.

This is still a very enjoyable board.

jd091
04-25-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm just going to chime in and say this is by far the best metal forum on the net, and if I've ever made an offensive post or anything, I'm incredibly sorry! All you guys are awesome and hilarious, thanks for making this forum what it is :fist:

brutal_descent
04-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Agree with above post! I'll admit I can be a little hipster dick sometimes but I love everybody on this board, you guys make MS what it is - pure fucking awesome :fist:

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2011, 10:26 AM
People here are pretty forgiving and we have interesting discussions. This is the only place I find new music, besides youtube and metal-archives.

Edit - Oh, and I've been here 5 years, two years after the first wave of IMBBers, and I have the 4th most posts. :D

BloodoftheKings
04-25-2011, 10:28 AM
The absolute worst posters on this site are still way better then the typical blabbermouth/youtube/mayhem boards poster.

bt11763
04-25-2011, 10:33 AM
no pants, no care.

i've learned the art of the scroll through when it comes to this site ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
People here are pretty forgiving and we have interesting discussions. This is the only place I find new music, besides youtube and metal-archives.

Edit - Oh, and I've been here 5 years, two years after the first wave of IMBBers, and I have the 4th most posts. :D

Were you on IMBB back in the day?

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Were you on IMBB back in the day?

Nope. You have Brad to blame for bringing me here.

mastodon421
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I've been posting here for about two years now and I love it. Sure I don't share tastes with everyone on the board, but I still respect and like everyone here.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Nope. You have Brad to blame for bringing me here.

:lol:

Fair enough.

larvtard
04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I think I was the one who pissed off Butcher of Birth... :eyes: Whatever, I don't care.

El Gordo
04-25-2011, 03:21 PM
This forum is sooooo much better and less annoying than most metal forums. I've been a semi-regular poster at metal-rules, metal-archives, bravewords & metalreview among others and the only one that's even close to as good is metalreview. Anyways, it's the internet. Even the good people act like retards from time to time, myself included.

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Considering I got banned from Metal-archives for mentioning that I like a few Slipknot songs, yeah, this place is much better.

Wizzbang11
04-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Considering I got banned from Metal-archives for mentioning that I like a few Slipknot songs, yeah, this place is much better.

Metal Archives also hate Inepsy, so they are dead to me.

Every year people complain about this board going downhill, honestly it seems pretty much the same in the...4 years (jesus) I have been here. There are brief influxes of shitty members but they usually die, so it's all good.

Derelict
04-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah there are some annoying kids here, but to be honest, this is nothing compared to a board that actually has problems.

This is still a very enjoyable board.

Couldn't have said it better. Agree 100%

ravenheart
04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Metal Archives has a forum? :eyes:

evildeadjedi
04-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I enjoy this board, compared to others this one is very civil.

Love the fact I can share/find new music, plus search old setlists and post new ones.

Plus there is much Clutch love here so I feel welcome. :D

Edit: Just hit post 1,666

http://deathapproaches.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/satan27s20throne.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5wUr4Lut4A

Nick_to_the_face
04-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm just going to chime in and say this is by far the best metal forum on the net, and if I've ever made an offensive post or anything, I'm incredibly sorry! All you guys are awesome and hilarious, thanks for making this forum what it is :fist:

Definitely, this.
I've never found any metal boards enjoyable, by any means. But I absolutely love this board :fist:

Agree with above post! I'll admit I can be a little hipster dick sometimes but I love everybody on this board, you guys make MS what it is - pure fucking awesome :fist:

hipster dick :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
04-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Any internet* community has it's fair share of flaws, and they generally become more obvious over time. I think if you enjoy talking about metal and such in general, this is still the best site out there for it. The flaws aren't enough to make me leave, for sure. I think the fact that the site has grown to be much bigger is the most prominent reason for the perceived decline in quality. (note: new members, nothing against you - the board has become bigger in other senses as well as the older members have evolved over time in a way that even if no one joined after 2008 the community would still be feeling larger today.) I could explain why, but I'm tired and you can probably think of why this would generate this feeling on your own.

*optional word

Sanitarium78
04-26-2011, 07:45 AM
I've noticed it a little but once you learn who the morons and trolls are then just ignore them. Learn to pick your battles on here. If you reply to every idiotic comment or to anyone who's trolling then yes it will become frustrating and the quality of the debates will go down.

The other thing that makes this board less interesting is there will be some down time, at least for me anyways, where a lot of bands I like aren't touring at the moment or taking time off so there isn't a lot for me to discuss for awhile.

Like others have said, the bad ones usually go away after a bit and the regulars here just have to ignore them and wait until they get the point and leave the site. Overall it's a great site though. I get the bulk of my metal and rock news and tour dates on here before I check anywhere else. Being able to read the setlists, concert reviews and talking to other metal fans from around the world is great and is something I never would've thought possible back when I went to my first metal show in 1992.

The good outweighs the bad here.