PDA

View Full Version : Symphony X -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 21st, 2011

Shinra Elite
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
All I can say, is what an amazing show. I was worried, due to the fact that Nevermore dropped off, and I didn't know how much time everyone would have. But... it was fantastic regardless.

Blackguard

Tephra
Firefight :rocker:
Wastelands
Fear of All Flesh
New Song (don't exactly remember)
This Round's on Me :rocker:

Little upset that they only played one song from Profugus Mortis, but all in all, they still put on quite a show.
Next was Powerglove, donning their styrofoam armor once more:

Terra's Theme
Xmen :rocker:
Storm Eagle
Metal Kombat for the Mortal Man
Omnishred :rocker:
Tetris
Pokemon :rocker:
Mario Minor

Amazing. They threw out blow up plastic swords for Metal Kombat, and plastic hammers. Really surprised they played Omnishred, and Pokemon was so good.

And, the finale. The best part of the show, and one of, if not the best band I've ever seen live...

Symphony X

Of Sins and Shadows
My Domination
Serpent's Kiss
The End of Innocence :rocker:
Paradise Lost :rocker:
Smoke and Mirrors :rocker:
Eve of Seduction :rocker:
Dehumanized
Set the World on Fire
--------------------------------
Encore:
The Odyssey :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Paradise Lost was absolutely magnificent, and The Odyssey cannot be described with human words. The entire band was flawless, surprising for a first date, but my god, did they ever bring their best playing. Michael Romeo was note for note and Russell Allen was probably the best singer I've ever seen live.

On a scale from 1 to 10, this show gets a 10.

Maiden33
04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
So, the other set I saw wasn't a mistake - they actually didn't play Inferno...

...so, to recap.

Symphony X promises a "longer set" on this tour. So they add "The Odyssey" in hopes that it will deter people from realizing that they have dropped a total of FOUR songs from the longest sets of the European tour. (Inferno, Evolution, Sea of Lies, Prometheus)

So... this set is maybe 5 minutes longer. Nice. :tp:

leglessmoof
04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Nice review! I was working on my own review in a separate thread, but you beat me to it! So I'll just add my comments here.

For those wondering about set times, I arrived at 8:30 and Blackguard was just finishing. Powerglove played from 9:00 to 9:30. Symphony X played from 9:55 to 11:20.

I had never heard of Powerglove before this show... apparently they are a metal band that plays video game music? Their set was pretty fun, and the crowd definitely seemed to enjoy it. If you're going to this tour, I recommend arriving early enough to check them out.

This was my third time seeing Symphony X, but my first time seeing them headline, and also my first time seeing any material from the Paradise Lost album. So I was quite pleased with the setlist. The band seemed to be having a lot of fun on stage, and they sounded great. The new songs sounded absolutely awesome. Can't wait to get the new album.

I was pretty bummed when I heard Nevermore and Soilwork dropped off the tour, but this still turned out to be a great show. Don't miss it!

Steev
04-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Sounds like it was a solid show, the 2 bands dropping off kinda killed it for me

and LOL at no one mentioning the local opener(who really isn't good and I'm suprised was on this bill because I don't think the Symphony X crowd would be into them)

leglessmoof
04-21-2011, 10:00 PM

...so, to recap.

Symphony X promises a "longer set" on this tour. So they add "The Odyssey" in hopes that it will deter people from realizing that they have dropped a total of FOUR songs from the longest sets of the European tour. (Inferno, Evolution, Sea of Lies, Prometheus)

I was wondering about that too. I personally am not complaining, but I was under the impression that they were going to play longer than 85 minutes.

slapguitarer
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
As far as Powerglove's set goes, it looks awesome, but I was hoping for some more off of Satuday Morning Apocalypse. Either way, this should be a fun show. I should probably get some more Symphony X, I've only got two albums.

DisasterPiece120
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
I fucking knew it, as soon as I decided I wasn't going to go I knew they would play The Odyssey.

Steev
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
As far as Powerglove's set goes, it looks awesome, but I was hoping for some more off of Satuday Morning Apocalypse. Either way, this should be a fun show. I should probably get some more Symphony X, I've only got two albums.

I feel like they'll play longer at Summer Slaughter

slapguitarer
04-21-2011, 10:27 PM
I feel like they'll play longer at Summer Slaughter

I'd think it'd be about the same. I'd much rather just go to this. Better bands.

mankvill
04-21-2011, 11:16 PM
I know everyone here jacks off over them, but I would be so pissed if I had to see Powerglove open for a band I really loved.

maidenpriest
04-21-2011, 11:41 PM
wow...i rather have the European set..oh well

slapguitarer
04-21-2011, 11:45 PM
I know everyone here jacks off over them, but I would be so pissed if I had to see Powerglove open for a band I really loved.

Well even if you don't like them, I'm sure you'd find their live show enjoyable. I mean, does anybody go to Gwar shows to hear Gwar's music in a live setting? No. They go for the crazy show.

So I'm sure it could be a lot worse.

Maiden33
04-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Well even if you don't like them, I'm sure you'd find their live show enjoyable. I mean, does anybody go to Gwar shows to hear Gwar's music in a live setting? No. They go for the crazy show.

I wouldn't bet on it. I hated them when I saw them, and am very much NOT looking forward to seeing them again this September.

maidenpriest
04-22-2011, 12:13 AM

...so, to recap.

I have to agree. I have no idea why they can't do more then 10 songs when they play the Odyssey... they only did 10 when they did the song in 2007 as well. And I prefer that set because at least they played Inferno...sigh. And once again I hear nothing off V...I give up :(

mankvill
04-22-2011, 12:42 AM

Have you ever been to a Gwar show? O:

A good chunk of a Gwar show has no blood shooting out on the crowd or them decapitating someone. Granted, it's still there, but they definitely have some kick-ass tunes. If Powerglove made songs like Salamanizer, that'd be just dandy.

Wizzbang11
04-22-2011, 12:47 AM
DBX and RAWG would not exist if no one liked GWAR's music.
Powerglove lack a show and good music.

ravenheart
04-22-2011, 07:25 AM

I wouldn't go to either because they both suck :eyes:

coltongsmith
04-22-2011, 07:29 AM
i wish powerglove was playing power rangers as well, that is an amazing song. maybe i'll get it at summer slaughter or progpower kick-off

DethMaiden
04-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Pretty terrible set, but pretty much the best encore you could ask for. I'm not gonna be too much of a grouch about losing Evolution and Inferno since we're getting The Odyssey.

BloodoftheKings
04-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I mean, does anybody go to Gwar shows to hear Gwar's music in a live setting? No. They go for the crazy show.

I wouldn't go to either because they both suck :eyes:

:bigfinger:

DBX and RAWG would not exist if no one liked GWAR's music.
Powerglove lack a show and good music.

Have you ever been to a Gwar show? O:

A good chunk of a Gwar show has no blood shooting out on the crowd or them decapitating someone. Granted, it's still there, but they definitely have some kick-ass tunes. If Powerglove made songs like Salamanizer, that'd be just dandy.

:hug:

coltongsmith
04-22-2011, 07:54 AM
i seen a video of a rehearsal of powerglove's Pokemon with Russell from Symphony X providing vocals. Is this happening on this tour?

makethemsuffer12
04-22-2011, 08:47 AM
i seen a video of a rehearsal of powerglove's Pokemon with Russell from Symphony X providing vocals. Is this happening on this tour?

Haha I remember seeing Powerglove's guitarist saying that might try to get him to do that on Facebook (I think a fan suggested it). Where did you see the video?

And I really, really, really, really, REALLY hope they don't do "The Odyssey" tonight. I'd much rather hear Evolution, Sea, and Inferno.

Maiden33
04-22-2011, 09:00 AM
My personal guess is that they will swap out Eve of Seduction for either Evolution or Inferno. Maybe they'll switch Dehumanized for Prometheus. Also, it's possibly they'll play a little longer tonight - Philly had 3 opening bands, but NYC only has 2 as far as I know.

Platinum Maze
04-22-2011, 09:16 AM
What is this, the Paradise Lost tour?!? Very disappointed...glad I passed on the show tonight. I've seen The Odyssey 2 or 3 times already. What happened to "more new tunes"?

makethemsuffer12
04-22-2011, 09:20 AM
My personal guess is that they will swap out Eve of Seduction for either Evolution or Inferno. Maybe they'll switch Dehumanized for Prometheus. Also, it's possibly they'll play a little longer tonight - Philly had 3 opening bands, but NYC only has 2 as far as I know.

I would hope so. I know those other songs are staples, but this will be my first time seeing them as a big fan. But then again, The Odyssey obviously isn't something they play on every tour, so I'll take it and love it regardless.

Also, to people who went to this show, what was the merch like? Anything with the Iconoclast art on it?

Maiden33
04-22-2011, 09:27 AM
I would hope so. I know those other songs are staples, but this will be my first time seeing them as a big fan. But then again, The Odyssey obviously isn't something they play on every tour, so I'll take it and love it regardless.

Also, to people who went to this show, what was the merch like? Anything with the Iconoclast art on it?

They were selling shirts with Iconoclast artwork on in Europe, so I'm guessing they'll have at least one shirt like that this time around.

Usually Symphony X basically does "housecleaning" on merchandise when they tour, and sell stuff from old tours at a discounted price. Hell, I got a "V" shirt in 2007 for like $10 or 15, it was nuts.

Maiden33
04-22-2011, 09:36 AM
HERE is what they should actually be playing:

01 Evolution (The Grand Design)
02 Inferno
03 Sea of Lies
04 End of Innocence
05 Paradise Lost
06 Smoke and Mirrors
07 The Accolade
08 The Accolade II
09 Masquerade
10 Dehumanized
11 Set the World on Fire
Encore:
12 Out of the Ashes
13 Of Sins and Shadows

Is that SO hard?

makethemsuffer12
04-22-2011, 10:01 AM

02 Inferno
03 Sea of Lies
04 End of Innocence
05 Paradise Lost
06 Smoke and Mirrors
07 The Accolade
08 The Accolade II
09 Masquerade
10 Dehumanized
11 Set the World on Fire
Encore:
12 Out of the Ashes
13 Of Sins and Shadows

Is that SO hard?
This.
But if there is one song I would love to hear, it's "Dressed To Kill," even though they've never played it live, as far as I know.

Maiden33
04-22-2011, 10:05 AM
This.
But if there is one song I would love to hear, it's "Dressed To Kill," even though they've never played it live, as far as I know.

They've definitely played Dressed to Kill live. In fact it used to be a "staple" of sorts on the first 2 tours. (Note: Symphony X didn't tour at all until Twilight in Olympus)

coltongsmith
04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Haha I remember seeing Powerglove's guitarist saying that might try to get him to do that on Facebook (I think a fan suggested it). Where did you see the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymiCS5zkVk

the video is titled pokemon with russell allen on facebook

Akumu
04-22-2011, 10:18 AM
They played Dressed to Kill in Mexico not too long ago.

This set is ehhhh. With the exception of The Odyssey and the new songs, I've seen every song on this setlist twice, and they're not even the songs I really really liked. :| No Evolution, King of Terrors, Church of the Machine, Through the Looking Glass, or Revelation... meh. If I don't get to go tomorrow I won't be too bummed.

makethemsuffer12
04-22-2011, 10:18 AM
They've definitely played Dressed to Kill live. In fact it used to be a "staple" of sorts on the first 2 tours. (Note: Symphony X didn't tour at all until Twilight in Olympus)

Oh I had no idea. I tried finding some sort of recordings of it, but no luck.

makethemsuffer12
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymiCS5zkVk

the video is titled pokemon with russell allen on facebook

Thought you were being serious... :bouville:

GarageMetal468
04-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Encore:
The Odyssey :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

....on May 1st I am going to cry. I'm speechless right now.

Maiden33
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh I had no idea. I tried finding some sort of recordings of it, but no luck.

I have an audio bootleg from the last show of the V tour in New Jersey, entitled "There's No Place Like Home", and they do it on that.

jd091
04-22-2011, 11:40 AM
....on May 1st I am going to cry. I'm speechless right now.

Ok. Here it is. I'm considering going to this show in Chicago. I've only heard SX a couple times, and I'm seeing Dillinger the night before.

How is SX live? Are there moshes at all? SOMEONE CONVINCE ME TO GO TO THIS!

(It would have been an easier decision if Nevermore was playing, but now I need some real coercion to want to go.)

GarageMetal468
04-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Ok. Here it is. I'm considering going to this show in Chicago. I've only heard SX a couple times, and I'm seeing Dillinger the night before.

(It would have been an easier decision if Nevermore was playing, but now I need some real coercion to want to go.)

Seeing as how everyone I know in person and on here says they're amazing live, I'll take their word for it.

I doubt that there are moshes for them, but something tells me that you'll be a much bigger SX fan afterwards.

And I'll be there? lol, I'm getting there an hour early just to get up front and center and sing my heart out with pretty much the entire set list.

Akumu
04-22-2011, 12:14 PM

1. Amazing
2. Depends on the song.

Do not think; just go.

jd091
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
1. Amazing
2. Depends on the song.

Do not think; just go.

Tickets are $30. :(

Whatever, I'm dropping a Benjamin to see Rammstein. I think I'll have a good time at SX, and it'll probably convert me to a fan. If I'm not hurting too bad from Dillinger, I'll hit it up. Still would have been twice as sick if Nevermore was playing... or even still alive...

noooooo......

:boohoo:

maidenpriest
04-22-2011, 01:43 PM

02 Inferno
03 Sea of Lies
04 End of Innocence
05 Paradise Lost
06 Smoke and Mirrors
07 The Accolade
08 The Accolade II
09 Masquerade
10 Dehumanized
11 Set the World on Fire
Encore:
12 Out of the Ashes
13 Of Sins and Shadows

Is that SO hard?

Yeah it is for them. I would definitely take Dressed to Kill as well instead of Masquerade. But alas we must hear half of Paradise Lost...again...

GarageMetal468
04-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Seeing as how Symphony X started at 9:55 for this show, maybe they'll change it up for other nights or add songs. My ticket for the Chicago show says it starts at 5:30 so either the show is getting out really early or every band is playing longer. Either way expect a Chicago review from me on May 2nd hopefully.

jd091
04-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Seeing as how Symphony X started at 9:55 for this show, maybe they'll change it up for other nights or add songs. My ticket for the Chicago show says it starts at 5:30 so either the show is getting out really early or every band is playing longer. Either way expect a Chicago review from me on May 2nd hopefully.

Most all-ages show at Chicago end at 9:30, so that when I'd expect this one to end also.

Fratt
04-22-2011, 09:01 PM
30 minutes of Powerglove ? Goddamnit, they told they would have a longer set since Nevermour and Soilwork dropped. I really would like to hear more from Saturday too, I like Metal Kombat, but Saturday is so astonishing it's a shame they only play two songs out of it.

I don't know if it's only in Montreal, but the insane reaction they get everytime they play makes me mad at the ridiculous time they have, they deserve far more.

jd091
04-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Ok, its decided: I'm going. I just listened to Powerglove, and deduced that they are the greatest thing ever since sliced bread.

:drool:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Can't wait. 3 weeks from tonight. :rocker:

Fratt
04-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Ok, its decided: I'm going. I just listened to Powerglove, and deduced that they are the greatest thing ever since sliced bread.

Saturday Morning Apocalypse is the greatest thing since the invention of metallurgy

MPF
04-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Fuck the haters. Powerglove is fucking badass!

Great guys to talk to as well. I remember talking to their lead guitarist when they opened for Sonata Arctica last year and they said sometime in the future they want to make a full original album. I'd definitely love to hear that.

jd091
04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Fuck the haters. Powerglove is fucking badass!

Great guys to talk to as well. I remember talking to their lead guitarist when they opened for Sonata Arctica last year and they said sometime in the future they want to make a full original album. I'd definitely love to hear that.

They should do that, then have somebody make a videogame based upon the album!

:eek: :drool:

MPF
04-22-2011, 09:57 PM
They should do that, then have somebody make a videogame based upon the album!

:eek: :drool:

That is a great idea.

The band, Last Chance To Reason, actually just did this for their new album. Level 2. The game, and album is very badass.

jd091
04-22-2011, 10:04 PM
The band, Last Chance To Reason, actually just did this for their new album. Level 2. The game, and album is very badass.

WHAT. AWESOME.

GarageMetal468
04-22-2011, 10:04 PM

:drool:

Woo! But your sig says 4/31, are you going to a different show? Cause the Chicago one is May 1st.

jd091
04-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Woo! But your sig says 4/31, are you going to a different show? Cause the Chicago one is May 1st.

Ah, you got me, it is the 1st. I just knew it was the day after Dillinger, and didn't think when posting. Thanks!

And I just found out that one of my good friends here is a huge SX fan, and is going to the show. I didn't even know he liked metal!

darkguardian50
04-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Terra's Theme

:drool::drool:
They actually do a version of that? I looked on youtube for it but came up empty. These guys kick ass. Some pieces are better than others obviously. Any of the final fantasy stuff is gonna be good because the original music is awesome. At one point I had a metal cover of Mike Tyson's Punch Out which kicked all kinds of ass. Wasn't these guys I don't think but it was awesome.

As for Symphony X, its not a bad setlist but to much stuff from Paradise Lost. I love The Odyssey so I'm glad that is in there. I'd love to hear them play the The Turning live but I don't think they ever have? Awakenings would be cool, and I've always been partial to Egypt and Divine Wings of Tragedy.

brutal_descent
04-24-2011, 01:13 AM
And I just found out that one of my good friends here is a huge SX fan, and is going to the show. I didn't even know he liked metal!

Haha, same, one of my friends who usually blasts Offspring, Whitesnake, and Metallica when I'm chilling with him told me recently that he likes Symphony X and Type O Negative. Epic fucking win! ;)

GarageMetal468
04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Can anyone (if they can) take a picture of all the merch they have for sale at the shows? I want to make it up front and center but I'd like to know if it's worth it to get merch before real quick.

Oh and jd, if you see this, there are pits for Powerglove from what I've seen in recent videos!

jd091
04-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Can anyone (if they can) take a picture of all the merch they have for sale at the shows? I want to make it up front and center but I'd like to know if it's worth it to get merch before real quick.

Oh and jd, if you see this, there are pits for Powerglove from what I've seen in recent videos!

Awesoooome! I'll be there definitely, probably be wearing a Revocation shirt. Yeah I really want there to be a pit for Metal Kombat :shred:

BloodoftheKings
04-25-2011, 06:02 PM

No pics but most of the shirts were $25.

GarageMetal468
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Awesoooome! I'll be there definitely, probably be wearing a Revocation shirt. Yeah I really want there to be a pit for Metal Kombat :shred:

Sweet, I'll probably be wearing a Skeletonwitch Breathing the Fire shirt, but I'll be up front, so you may or may not see me.

No pics but most of the shirts were $25.
Gah fuck, I hate paying more than $25 for a shirt. Oh well, I guess I'll check out the merch after it's over, hopefully there's medium sizes left of something cool looking.