PDA

View Full Version : JEFF LOOMIS and VAN WILLIAMS leave NEVERMORE!!!!

jd091
04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/21/wtf-srsly-loomis-williams-out-of-nevermore/#more-60752)

What is this I don't even

jd091
04-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Official quote:

"In a mutual decision Jeff Loomis and Van Williams (above, right) have decided to leave Nevermore. The time has come to pursue our own paths from the group. Due to internal struggles and ongoing issues within the band, we feel it is our time to move on. We would like to thank all of our fans around the world for their years of love, support and enthusiasm. This was not an easy decision but a very necessary one at this point, may we all meet again someday, somewhere in time."

BloodoftheKings
04-21-2011, 10:57 AM
inb4 people directing him to when this was posted in the symphony x tour thread. This should have it's own thread.

electrocute1031
04-21-2011, 10:58 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/21/wtf-srsly-loomis-williams-out-of-nevermore/#more-60752)

What is this I don't even

so within the same week K.K. leaves priest and Loomis leaves Nevermore. this sucks

jd091
04-21-2011, 10:59 AM
inb4 people directing him to when this was posted in the symphony x tour thread. This should have it's own thread.

What? Why wouldn't someone post this in its own thread?

Whatever, here it is, so the whole world can cry. :boohoo:

electrocute1031
04-21-2011, 11:02 AM
What? Why wouldn't someone post this in its own thread?

Whatever, here it is, so the whole world can cry. :boohoo:

I didn't post it in it's own thread because i wasn't sure if someone else was going to make a thread while i was, it's happened to me a few times. plus the Symphony X tour starts tonight, and i was already on that thread when i heard the news lol.

BlackmoreOfBowling
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
That featured band picture in the article bears a striking resemblance to Avenged Sevenfold.

Indestructible
04-21-2011, 11:06 AM
:eek::wtf::(

MPF
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM

I hate being right about shit like this. Sure maybe Nevermore didn't break up yet, but they aren't coming out of remission unless they both decide to come back.

And from what I understand, Loomis and Williams were the ones fighting with each other. :(

Akumu
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Loomis, seriously? :confused: So I'm guessing they're going to find a replacement guitarist for the Sanctuary reunion?

Dextrimental
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
I reckon Loomis realised he makes more money as a session guitarist and solo act than with Nevermore. In the last few years he has done quite a bit of work on his solo output, his first solo record and what not, and it wouldn't surprise me if he figured he could pay his bills doing that for now. Sucks, would've liked to see Nevermore someday, but I will live.

PlaysWithKnives
04-21-2011, 11:40 AM
This really sucks. They were one of my favorite bands. Stuff happens sometimes. I'm sure we'll see Loomis showcase his talent in another project soon. Williams too. He's a good druimmer. Maybe Warrel Dane wants more time for Sanctuary. Good luck to them

PlaysWithKnives
04-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Your favorite band ever, and that's all you got to say :D

JuuKun
04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
This sucks quite a bit...I feel like Nevermore without Loomis just wouldn't seem right (not as wrong as Nevermore without Warrel would be, though.)

Definitely curious if this means they'll be looking for another guitarist for the Sanctuary reunion or if they'll just be doing it with Lenny and no second guitarist.

Hope the band can survive it. Warrel said on their forum that they're not over, just changing. Hope he's right.

DementedX14
04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Well this sucks. :boohoo:

MPF
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
This sucks quite a bit...I feel like Nevermore without Loomis just wouldn't seem right (not as wrong as Nevermore without Warrel would be, though.)

Definitely curious if this means they'll be looking for another guitarist for the Sanctuary reunion or if they'll just be doing it with Lenny and no second guitarist.

Hope the band can survive it. Warrel said on their forum that they're not over, just changing. Hope he's right.

To me I hope not. *Flame if you must*

It's like if Maiden decided to go on without Steve Harris and Nicko. It just wouldn't feel right at all.

BloodoftheKings
04-21-2011, 12:03 PM

It's like if Maiden decided to go on without Steve Harris and Nicko. It just wouldn't feel right at all.

This.

JuuKun
04-21-2011, 12:12 PM

I get what you're saying. And if this led to a defunct Nevermore, but a fully-functioning, active Sanctuary, I'd be for it because I definitely prefer Sanctuary to Nevermore (except Dreaming Neon Black). However, I've not see NM yet but been a fan for a long time, and I'd like to see them once before they go out, even if it has to be without Loomis. I'd still be interested in seeing what a new album would be like without them, too, even if just out of curiosity. I wouldn't be heartbroken if this was it, though.

On the positive side of things, Warrel tweeted about writing new Sanctuary songs. Bring on the new Sanctuary album.

Indestructible
04-21-2011, 12:22 PM
It wont be the same but Nevermore can still carry on since Warrel is still in the band.

MPF
04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Honestly, Warrel should just go solo and play the occasional Nevermore cover.

That is of course if Sanctuary doesn't take over full time.

maidenpriest
04-21-2011, 02:15 PM
NOOOOO!!

PlaysWithKnives
04-21-2011, 03:07 PM
It wont be the same but Nevermore can still carry on since Warrel is still in the band.

Yeah, but why would you want it to. It's basically solo Warrel Dane without Loomis. Let's see what these guys come up with now. I think it will be cool

DethMaiden
04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
This thing needs to break up, because it's not Nevermore anymore.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm going with: meh.

I'm surprised for sure. Well, I'm surprised about Loomis, not Williams. I saw them real early after the new album came out. The night they recorded their video, actually. Loomis looked really happy and was really enjoying himself. Williams looked miserable as fuck for the whole show.

But whatever, Warrel solo just sounds like Nevermore anyway, so fuck it, call it Nevermore. It will sound EXACTLY the same.

Sanitarium78
04-21-2011, 05:34 PM
That sucks that one of my favorite bands has broken up. But i've been listening to metal long enough that i'm used to stuff like this happening every so often.

If this is it for Nevermore then they left a great catalog of music that myself and all their fans will still enjoy for years to come.

Weather it's solo, Sanctuary or whatever i'm looking forward to seeing what the guys do and can come up with now that they're moving on to new things.

DethMaiden
04-21-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm going with: meh.

I'm surprised for sure. Well, I'm surprised about Loomis, not Williams. I saw them real early after the new album came out. The night they recorded their video, actually. Loomis looked really happy and was really enjoying himself. Williams looked miserable as fuck for the whole show.

But whatever, Warrel solo just sounds like Nevermore anyway, so fuck it, call it Nevermore. It will sound EXACTLY the same.

Warrel solo is nowhere near as technical as Nevermore. They're gonna lose all semblance of being a tech/prog band without Loomis around.

Dextrimental
04-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Warrel solo is nowhere near as technical as Nevermore. They're gonna lose all semblance of being a tech/prog band without Loomis around.

This. Loomis was more Nevermore than any of the other members.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Only because he chose to make that one album that way. He gets a tech guitarist in instead and it's Nevermore.

El Gordo
04-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow. The only thing I ever liked about Nevermore is gone.

Indestructible
04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
This. Loomis was more Nevermore than any of the other members.

All members are equal IMO. Though Warrel and Jeff are what really makes the band. We lost Jeff and Van but if Nevermore were to carry on it wouldn't be horrible, it will be hard to find two musicians just as great as them.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 06:08 PM
All members are equal IMO. Warrel Dane and Jeff Loomis make Nevermore. We lost Jeff and Van but if Nevermore were to carry on it wouldnt be horrible.

Impressive contradiction. Well done.

Sanitarium78
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM
All members are equal IMO. Warrel Dane and Jeff Loomis make Nevermore. We lost Jeff and Van but if Nevermore were to carry on it wouldnt be horrible.

Except for the fact that Loomis has a very special, one of a kind sound and playing style. Them replacing Loomis would be like Black Sabbath continuing on without Iommi. It just wouldn't be right.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm going to call it now, they will carry on without Loomis and they'll sound just as good.

There.

jd091
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Nope. Nevermore is Jeff Loomis. Plain and simple. It's like Opeth loosing Mikael Akerfeldt. It's done.

I'm just pissed I didn't see Nevermre's last headlining tour last fall. I could have, and I chose not to. I don't know why. I'm going to be regretting it the rest of my life.

DethMaiden
04-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Nope. Nevermore is Jeff Loomis. Plain and simple. It's like Opeth loosing Mikael Akerfeldt. It's done.

I'm just pissed I didn't see Nevermre's last headlining tour last fall. I could have, and I chose not to. I don't know why. I'm going to be regretting it the rest of my life.

Yeah, I never got to see them live. Had tickets to see them with SX before they canceled. :snivel:

And I guess I take issue with the Loomis/Akerfeldt comparison, slightly. I think Nevermore is Loomis AND Dane, the way they combine. Akerfeldt really can just plug in whoever around him.

Dissimulate
04-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I like Nevermore but a big part of that is Loomis. That being said, they could be good without him, but they're fucked. Half the band is gone, the bassist has brain cancer, and Warrel has side projects.

electrocute1031
04-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't know how this will turn out. However there have been some cases where bands lost vital members and they still managed to still kick ass. Voivod without Piggy (atleast live, time will tell if their new album will be good, but I think it'll crush since Mongrain shreds), and Savatage without Criss Oliva are just a couple that come to mind. Honestly it all depends on who they get to replace them.

makethemsuffer12
04-21-2011, 07:46 PM
I will honestly be disgusted if Warrel and Jim carry on under the Nevermore name. Jeff was, for me, the most important member of Nevermore, with Warrel being close behind.

I'm just so happy that I saw them in October. What a damn shame, the show was awesome. I was looking forward to seeing them again in the future (like at Symphony X tomorrow...).

jd091
04-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Metalsucks posted an interesting article on the future of Nevermore, if it can happen, who would be replacements, should there be replacements, etc.
http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/22/nevermore-possible-replacements-for-jeff-loomis-and-van-williams/

Personally, I think Emil Werstler could do a decent job, but he just committed to Chimaira, so that's not viable. I don't know; Loomis was a god. They just can't go on without him.

Indestructible
04-22-2011, 11:01 AM
People say that Jeff Loomis is Nevermore true, but it sounds like they are forgetting that Warrel Dane is a big part of Nevermore.

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Nevermore's quality is basically derived from Jeff and Warrel. With Jeff gone, it's like they just lost half of the band's soul. I don't think they can ever come back from this.

Sinfulsot
04-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Metalsucks posted an interesting article on the future of Nevermore, if it can happen, who would be replacements, should there be replacements, etc.
http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/22/nevermore-possible-replacements-for-jeff-loomis-and-van-williams/

for all the Loomis replacements, why it would never happen can be summed up with: they are not idiots.

i'm just glad i caught them last year.

idrinkwine732
04-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't think I'll ever see Nevermore without both Loomis and Dane in the band.

Akumu
04-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I don't think this bodes well for them at all. This week was kind of terrible.

Nick_to_the_face
04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
What the hell is going on in the world?

darkguardian50
04-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Loomis and Dane are the sound of that band, without Loomis the band may as well have broken up. This is terrible news. I was planning to see them a month or so ago I think it was but stuff came up, I really regret missing out on it now.

Savatage without Criss Oliva are just a couple that come to mind.
Probably the single most compelling argument for the fact that the band could survive. But as amazing as Criss was, I don't think his guitar was as important part of the band's sound as Jon in general. When Jon's output with Savatage decreased so did the quality of the material. Still, its not impossible to think Nevermore might be able to carry one but I don't think the band will ever be the same. Jeff is too brilliant. He may well be the most gifted young guitarist out there all aspects considered.

Sanitarium78
04-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Jeff is too brilliant. He may well be the most gifted young guitarist out there all aspects considered.

Young? The guy's gotta be at least 40 by now.

jd091
04-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Young? The guy's gotta be at least 40 by now.

You're right, he'll turn 41 this September.

darkguardian50
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Young in comparison. :) Though I thought he was about my age, maybe a few years older so he's a good 5 or 6 years older than I thought. Still he looks really young so I guess thats why.

ravenheart
04-27-2011, 02:55 PM

What an impressively worthless article.

Nevermore will carry on, and they'll be fine. I recall everyone saying more or less the same stuff when Lindgren and Lopez left Opeth. Oh look, they did fine. NOW everyone says Opeth is entirely Akerfeldt, but then everyone thought it was at the very least Akerfeldt and Lindgren.

makethemsuffer12
04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Nevermore will carry on, and they'll be fine.

Oh ravenheart, you so silly.