PDA

View Full Version : KK Downing leaves Judas Priest!!

devilball
04-20-2011, 02:51 AM
New link -

http://judaspriest.com/News/Doc/KK-Downing-Retirement-Announcement.pdf

ravenheart
04-20-2011, 02:58 AM
OK, that makes no sense.

Your link doesn't work either.

Tour goes ahead, new album goes ahead, replacement is an unknown guy called Richie Faulkner.

And the press release also confirms that not only will the set include songs from every Priest album, some of those will be songs they've never played live.

Maidenmagic
04-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Now if Scott Travis or Ian Hill left it wouldn't be a big deal. Those guys, although good musicians, haven't exactly written alot. Priest at its core is Halford, Tipton, Downing. That's where most of those bad ass tunes come from. The fact that the audience is going to see an weakened Judas Priest is kind of sad. Despite the fact that he played with Lauren Harris (Daughter of a Master composer), this Faulkner guy will probably do a good job. But it just won't be the same. Hopefully they play Cathedral Spires and Rocka Rolla.

Maideneer
04-20-2011, 06:38 AM
This just stunned me, and this has to be a first in music history re: going on a farewell tour with a new member of the band. Gee, farewell, young 31-year old, what a career and we hardly knew thee!

At this point, turn the thing into a circus and bring back Ripper, Al Atkins, the black guy, and the other child molester drummer for a few songs each and just be done with it.

What kind of goodbye will it be to someone no one has ever seen before? Quit now, abandon the farewell tour idea, and say goodbye respectfully.

We would laugh just as hard if Dave Murray or Rudolf Schenker or Kirk Hammett left their bands right before a goodbye tour.

Judas Priest played this all wrong, cementing a permanent replacement for this thing. At the very least, they should have tapped into the amazing resource of having an already established superstar acting as a "guest guitarist" for a couple weeks at a time e.g. Yngwie, Satriani, Marty Friedman, in other words, all the guys who list JP as a major influence on their lives.

What a joke, if they announce a U.S. tour I expect to pay no more than $20 for this instantly-altered cover band.

makethemsuffer12
04-20-2011, 06:52 AM
This is just not right. I mean really, K.K., if this tour is meant to be the final stretch, you really couldn't hold it out long enough?

JRA
04-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Holy fucking shit!

Agreed with Makethemsuffer's comments.

ChildrenofSodom
04-20-2011, 07:15 AM
2 thoughts:

First, that young punk is going to make the side-leaning riff move look weird.

Second, how awesome would it be to be a 31 year old, on stage with one of your idols, and getting to do that side-leaning riff move?

Derelict
04-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Strange to leave right before the farewell tour, and what is probably a pretty sweet payday. Something really had to be bothering him

es156
04-20-2011, 07:22 AM
I would have to assume that there would be a serious reason for something like this to happen. I don't think he would just suddenly decide he wasn't interested in doing the final tour anymore.

ravenheart
04-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Despite the fact that he played with Lauren Harris (Daughter of a Master composer), this Faulkner guy will probably do a good job

Oh shit, you're right! That's where I know the name from. He's the Zakk Wylde impersonator from her solo band.

He was the only good thing in that band when I saw them.

ravenheart
04-20-2011, 08:04 AM
At the very least, they should have tapped into the amazing resource of having an already eastablished superstar acting as a "guest guitarist" for a couple weeks at a time e.g. Yngwie, Satriani, Marty Friedman, in other words, all the guys who list JP as a major influence on their lives.

Very good point.

At this point, turn the thing into a circus and bring back Ripper, Al Atkins, the black guy, and the other child molester drummer for a few songs each and just be done with it.

What a joke, if they announce a U.S. tour I expect to pay no more than $20 for this instantly-altered cover band.

Dumb things to say.

IrritatedTrout
04-20-2011, 08:21 AM
What the hell? This Priest "farewell" tour gets shadier by the day. This just sucks.

Also, why not get Iommi or one of the guys mentioned above to fill-in? Why this asshole nobody cares about?

Sinfulsot
04-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm assuming that the setlist will feature songs from all Priest albums, not necessarily every single song, and hopefully there will be some nice gems from the "previously unheard live" batch.

and the link worked for me...

ravenheart
04-20-2011, 09:06 AM

:lol:

Look at the time of your post and the time of mine.

JRA
04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Also, why not get Iommi or one of the guys mentioned above to fill-in? Why this asshole nobody cares about?

It's a great idea on paper, but Iommi and Downing have two separate playing styles and that might prove to be a hinderance, especially in the lead department.

I think if anyone they should have gotten Kai Hansen, he could definitely handle it and he'd make a great back up vocalist as well.

Maideneer
04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Dumb things to say.

Why is it dumb to say I wonder? What if Ian Hill leaves too? At what point does it become a cover act? In fact, Ian Hill is the only founding member left if my memory recalls right.

The British Steel tribute act around here can play the same stuff. I have no personal animus toward this new guitar player, I'm sure he's capable to do whatever is asked of him, but capable isn't what people are going to ask for, especially and precisely because it is the farewell tour.

That's why I won't pay more than $20 for it.

OR

Is this "farewell tour" a marketing ploy to draw more people to the shows? There is a new album coming out, maybe they will have a "change of heart" and continue on. Ozzy has been on a farewell tour since No More Tears.

Steev
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Is this "farewell tour" a marketing ploy to draw more people to the shows? There is a new album coming out, maybe they will have a "change of heart" and continue on. Ozzy has been on a farewell tour since No More Tears.

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/K/Kiss/The%20Last%20Kiss%20Farewell%20Tour%202000%20Satur day%20October%207th/The%20Last%20Kiss%20Farewell%20Tour%202000%20Satur day%20October%207th.jpg

EvilCheeseWedge
04-20-2011, 09:49 AM
This just stunned me, and this has to be a first in music history re: going on a farewell tour with a new member of the band. Gee, farewell, young 31-year old, what a career and we hardly knew thee!

What kind of goodbye will it be to someone no one has ever seen before? Quit now, abandon the farewell tour idea, and say goodbye respectfully.

We would laugh just as hard if Dave Murray or Rudolf Schenker or Kirk Hammett left their bands right before a goodbye tour.

Judas Priest played this all wrong, cementing a permanent replacement for this thing. At the very least, they should have tapped into the amazing resource of having an already eastablished superstar acting as a "guest guitarist" for a couple weeks at a time e.g. Yngwie, Satriani, Marty Friedman, in other words, all the guys who list JP as a major influence on their lives.

I agree...

EvilCheeseWedge
04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Ozzy has been on a farewell tour since No More Tears.

At least with him it really has seemed believable almost every time. I think it would take some serious science to explain how that guy is still alive.

SomewhereInTime72
04-20-2011, 10:37 AM
My thoughts:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/e5MnH0VIEp2w7l99XuBycaCzo1_400.jpg

jhdeity
04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah this blows goats. I was thinking I could finally hear Island of Domination live then this? Hopefully he was just being a cry tit about something and gets over it. This makes no sense...

Sinfulsot
04-21-2011, 06:05 AM

Look at the time of your post and the time of mine.

Yes. i still surprise myself when i fail to pay attention to appropriate details.

KK's retirement aside, i don't get that this farewell to Priest tour will be including a new album as well.

Dissimulate
04-21-2011, 09:36 AM
This is the last Priest world tour, but the band will continue on recording and playing occasional shows.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Statement from KK:

"Dear friends,

It is with much regret that I will not be with you this summer. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns about my health. Please rest assured that I am O.K.

There has been an ongoing breakdown in working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band's management for some time.

Therefore I have decided to step down rather than to tour with negative sentiments as I feel that this would be a deception to you, our cherished fans.

However I would urge you to please support the Priest as I have no doubt that it will be a show not to be missed.

All my love and respect."

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Why is it dumb to say I wonder? What if Ian Hill leaves too? At what point does it become a cover act? In fact, Ian Hill is the only founding member left if my memory recalls right.

The British Steel tribute act around here can play the same stuff. I have no personal animus toward this new guitar player, I'm sure he's capable to do whatever is asked of him, but capable isn't what people are going to ask for, especially and precisely because it is the farewell tour.

That's why I won't pay more than $20 for it.

OR

At what point does any band become a "cover act"? I don't understand why some band line-up changes are OK and other aren't. Some bands change personnel all the time and no one minds, certain other bands do it and everyone cries "tribute act". One rule for one, another for everyone else. It's never made sense.

And why should the others stop? Cancel all their tour plans and not do what they want to do just because one guy doesn't feel like taking part? Bullshit.

KK really doesn't add much anyway. I won't miss him when I see them at least twice on this tour. It's still Priest, and their set will still be worth seeing.

If KK were there you'd pay the full $40 or whatever? You were really going to pay $20 to see a Judas Priest show and $20 to see KK Downing specifically? I don't think so.

DethMaiden
04-21-2011, 05:20 PM
At what point does any band become a "cover act"? I don't understand why some band line-up changes are OK and other aren't. Some bands change personnel all the time and no one minds, certain other bands do it and everyone cries "tribute act". One rule for one, another for everyone else. It's never made sense.

And why should the others stop? Cancel all their tour plans and not do what they want to do just because one guy doesn't feel like taking part? Bullshit.

KK really doesn't add much anyway. I won't miss him when I see them at least twice on this tour. It's still Priest, and their set will still be worth seeing.

If KK were there you'd pay the full $40 or whatever? You were really going to pay $20 to see a Judas Priest show and $20 to see KK Downing specifically? I don't think so.

This.

I honestly think he's the MOST expendable member of the five, as good as he is.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 05:24 PM
This.

Precisely why it took them all of 30 seconds to find a replacement.

JRA
04-21-2011, 05:52 PM
This.

Really? He's the most expendable after hard rock's most one-note bass player next to Cliff Williams?

Dissimulate
04-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Really? He's the most expendable after hard rock's most one-note bass player next to Cliff Williams?
I don't know about Cliff Williams, but Ian Hill has the capacity to play the bass really well, he just recognizes that the music he plays needs a solid bassist, not somebody flashy, and sticks with that roll. Regardless, I would say that KK is more important to the band. I'm sad that he's gone, but this is it for Priest really. After this they'll be doing studio work and only sporadic live shows, and with half of their songwriting core gone and their frontman having a perfectly successful live band he seems to enjoy touring with, I'm not optimistic that they'll be around at all for too much longer.

I wish that KK was on the album, but it was probably written, if not recorded already, with his input, and I also wish that I could see them with him live, but I'm sure the show will be amazing anyways and I'm sure they picked a good replacement. I also have a lot of respect for KK for making his departure painless and acting gentlemanly towards the band.

One thing I wonder though is if the band's retirement from active touring was caused by KK's problems, compounded by Halford's solo work being successful enough that he had an alternative route. With KK gone and Halford having more freedom in Priest to write Priest might reverse their decision to end it, but that's just random, wishful speculation.

Maideneer
04-21-2011, 08:52 PM

Gee, he's only a founding member, I'd say that qualifies as a big departure, no?

As to your last paragraph, if I go and pay to see a movie, I wanna see the movie, not the deleted scenes featurette. If I go to Yankee Stadium, I wanna watch the Major League club, not the AA farm team. Paying full price for something also carries the promise of seeing the full package as advertised, that's why I feel bad for European fans who bought their stubs already...they got the shaft.

No one cares when Fred Durst Johnny Fill In The Blank leaves group XXXXX because they aren't unique or special, that's why it's different in this case.

a) Billy Gibbons leaves ZZ Top, is it still ZZ Top?
b) Dennis Stratton leaves Iron Maiden, is it still Iron Maiden?

You're telling me you can't see the difference in this? Das not compute on this one?

Maideneer
04-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Precisely why it took them all of 30 seconds to find a replacement.

It didn't take 30 seconds or some other such hyperbolic time frame. If you read Halford's statement, he notified them around Christmas time of his departure.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
This.

Seriously?

DethMaiden
04-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Hill is an original member, Halford is the voice and identity of the band, Tipton and Travis are the best musicians.

Maideneer
04-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Hill is an original member, Halford is the voice and identity of the band, Tipton and Travis are the best musicians.

Come now. You think Scott Travis is a good drummer? He's like the human drum machine. Dependable and on time, sure. Feel and flexibility, certainly not,

DethMaiden
04-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Come now. You think Scott Travis is a good drummer? He's like the human drum machine. Dependable and on time, sure. Feel and flexibility, certainly not,

Oh, I'm sorry, does Painkiller demand some nuance I'm not aware of?

Maideneer
04-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, does Painkiller demand some nuance I'm not aware of?

If you think Painkiller is difficult to play on drums, then you've got another thing comin....OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

DethMaiden
04-22-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm not making the point that it is. I'm making the point that he plays fast and beats the hell out of the drums and that's what Judas Fucking Priest music demands. I would probably hate them if Mike Portnoy joined.

Maideneer
04-22-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm not making the point that it is. I'm making the point that he plays fast and beats the hell out of the drums and that's what Judas Fucking Priest music demands. I would probably hate them if Mike Portnoy joined.

Well same here, but there's 1,001 drummers out there who can play fast and beat the hell out of the drums, what makes Scott Travis such a jewel in the crown?

DethMaiden
04-22-2011, 08:20 AM
The Painkiller intro is "his." Nothing in Judas Priest's catalogue is uniquely "KK Downing."

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2011, 08:22 AM
The Painkiller intro is "his." Nothing in Judas Priest's catalogue is uniquely "KK Downing."

So guitar solos are less unique then drum intros?

Or how about his writing credits? KK is credited on every song on Painkiller. Travis? Uh, not one.

JRA
04-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Fuck you. Travis is an excellent drummer.

DethMaiden
04-22-2011, 08:24 AM
So guitar solos are less unique then drum intros?

Yep, in all cases always because talking in absolutes is helpful. ;)

KK is basically Priest's Janick. ;) I'm going to miss the way he looks on stage headbanging next to Glenn, but I'm not going to miss him as a musician.

Maideneer
04-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Well if you're going that route, nothing is uniquely Tipton's either. Or did he pull off some solo somewhere that's memorable? I couldn't tell you off hand who played the 2nd solo on Hot Rockin', but the point is it doesn't matter.

DethMaiden
04-22-2011, 08:25 AM
I didn't honestly think there was any debate that Glenn is better than KK. Watch some concert footage. KK is sloppy on material he's known for thirty years.

Maideneer
Fuck you. Travis is an excellent drummer.

http://www.forumspile.com/Shit-Flag.gif

EvilCheeseWedge
Yep, in all cases always because talking in absolutes is helpful. ;)

KK is basically Priest's Janick. ;) I'm going to miss the way he looks on stage headbanging next to Glenn, but I'm not going to miss him as a musician.

:bliss:

I can't agree with that. The principle problem with Janick is he's a third guitarist in a two guitarist band. KK is the second half of one of the most recognizable guitar pairings in metal.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
I didn't honestly think there was any debate that Glenn is better than KK. Watch some concert footage. KK is sloppy on material he's known for thirty years.

I wouldn't even say he's better, but I just don't understand how KK is more replaceable than either half of JP's rhythm section.

ChildrenofSodom
04-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I can't wait for the documentary about how they picked this new guitarist.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I can't wait for the documentary about how they picked this new guitarist.

"GET AN EXCLUSIVE LOOK AT THE BAND'S SEARCH FOR A NEW DRU--GUITARIST"

makethemsuffer12
04-22-2011, 09:02 AM

"GET AN EXCLUSIVE LOOK AT THE BAND'S SEARCH FOR A NEW DRU--GUITARIST"

Or even better...

Rock Star 2.

Sepultura69
04-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Thank you! Thank you Thank you! :party: :rocker:

something I finally agree with you on 100% to the MAX!!! Great Post Ravenheart! I totally agree with you brother!. I'm going to use this quote every time I here people run their yaps about how Sepultura is a " Fake Tribute Cover Band" or some bullshit to that extent. :rocker:

Wizzbang11
04-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I'd say a band becomes a cover or tribute band when they lack an important original member(or members) AND don't release new material for 10 years or so. One without the other is fine, but combine the two and I don't think it deserves tribute band status.

Travis The Dragon
05-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Pic of new lineup released (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/)