PDA

View Full Version : DREAM THEATER creating hype over drummer announcement

ravenheart
04-18-2011, 07:51 AM
A little more than a month after original drummer Mike Portnoy’s sudden departure from DREAM THEATER, the band held three days of auditions in New York City. Over an amazing and productive three-day period, the band played, jammed and spoke candidly with seven of the world’s greatest drummers, learning about them musically, personally and professionally, and assessing the fit of each drummer’s incredible chops with the band’s trademark prog-rock sound.

Dream Theater have been extremely sensitive to the fact that this is not only a monumental decision in their own lives, but also a critical moment in the lives of their fans around the world.

“The departure of our lifelong bandmate and friend was an unexpected and truly heartbreaking blow,” says guitarist John Petrucci. “The fact that as a result of that event we’d be introduced to seven infinitely capable and uniquely talented drummers was heartening.”

Dream Theater would like to share with its fans some of the intense process, along with the musical joy, that went into choosing a new drummer.

So who is the best fit behind the kit?

Go to Dream Theater’s Facebook page on Thursday, April 21st at 11 AM to sign up for the mailing list and to receive more details about an exclusive and intimate look at the auditions, and to find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about the band’s new lineup will be made.

ravenheart
04-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Whoever it is, by the time they're finished with this little publicity stunt and actually announce it, it's guaranteed to be a let down.

Unless it's Bill Ward or someone else equally out of nowhere, I'm not sure I really care anymore.

Maiden33
04-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Jesus christ, just announce the fucker already.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Go to Dream Theater’s Facebook page on Thursday, April 21st at 11 AM to sign up for the mailing list and to receive more details about an exclusive and intimate look at the auditions, and to find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about the band’s new lineup will be made.

:lol:

Wow...

If these auditions are so exciting I'm surprised they don't sell tickets to them.

ChildrenofSodom
04-18-2011, 08:26 AM
If its Portnoy, I'm going to set a car on fire.

Maiden33
04-18-2011, 08:31 AM
If its Portnoy, I'm going to set a car on fire.

This.

Sanitarium78
04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
So is the new drummer contractually obligatied to something else first and that's why they can't announce it yet? If he's not than this is just about the most annoying thing a band can do to their fans.

Akumu
04-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Haha the fuck?

SomewhereInTime72
04-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Pretense meter has been set to maximum.

MPF
04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
A Change of Drummers
Part i: Sudden Departure
Part ii: The Long Wait
Part iii: The Long Wait (reprise)
Part iv: The Cryptic Tweet That Stumped Them All
Part v: The Realization that The Cryptic Tweet Meant Nothing
Part vi: The First Announcement That Should Not Be
Part vii: We Have a Drummer, but I can't Tell you who it is
Part viii: Still Can't Tell You
Part ix: The Second Announcement: There will be An Announcement.
Part x: The Announcement Lies Within (the Second Announcement)
Part xi: And the Drummer is...
Part xii: Where did everybody go?

Derelict
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Dream Theater have been extremely sensitive to the fact that this is not only a monumental decision in their own lives, but also a critical moment in the lives of their fans around the world.

At least these guys don't take themselves too seriously.

treghet
04-18-2011, 04:03 PM
A Change of Drummers

:lol:

rjturtle9
04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
A Change of Drummers

Epic post is epic.

Dissimulate
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
In the studio, it's irrelevant. Whoever they pick will definitely have the technical ability, and also won't have any kind of impact on the creative process. They could replace Portnoy with a drum machine and it wouldn't affect the album at all. Live on the other hand could be different. Portnoy was the one person in the band who actually has some kind of stage presence (Petrucci kind of does I suppose, Rudess just kind of looks awkward, Myung literally avoids the spotlight, LaBrie leaves the stage every time somebody plays a fill or solo and goes backstage to do whatever the hell he does). I'd rather have somebody who has 95% of the technical ability and can be the showman the band needs then somebody who is effectively a fleshy robot.

Totally off topic but didn't the band say a couple of times that they'd be going back to the Evening With format for the next tour

kommie
04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't like this band but the way they act, they seem as though they're gods of.... Prog? their vocals is really what kills it, he sounds like he's whining most all of the time.

TonyD
04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
At least these guys don't take themselves too seriously.

This

ravenheart
04-19-2011, 02:38 AM
they're gods of.... Prog?

Well, they basically are. You're in the minority in terms of fans of prog metal.

They are still overhyping a piece of non-news though. They're treating it like the biggest announcement metal has ever seen.

When will these bands realise that announcements which come with no warning have far more impact than ones that are dragged out and given a specific date?