PDA

View Full Version : NEMHF -- Worcester, MA -- April 16th, 2011

mastodon421
04-17-2011, 09:26 AM
This was honestly the best concert I have ever been to. The only negative was that I wasn't able to catch full sets from a few bands due to set crossovers. The sets on the main stage were pushed back a bit to make up for Darkest Hour's dropoff and 3 Inches Of Blood's set got cut pretty short. They weren't even allowed their alloted 30 minutes, I never got an answer as to why that happened. Sets now, review later.

The Contortionist(partial, first three songs)
Primal Directive
Vessel
Exoplanet I: Void

Son Of Aurelius(might be missing a song. came in at the end of The Farthest Reaches)
The Farthest Reaches
Mercy For Today
Facing The Gorgon:drool:
Slaughter The Immortals

Last Chance To Reason
Upload Complete
Coded To Fail
?
Portal

Lazarus A.D
The Ultimate Sacrifice
Thou Shall Not Fear
Absolute Power
Revolution

Cephalic Carnage(partial, last two songs)
Abraxis Of Filth
Lucid Interval

Revocation
Reanimaniac
Pestilence Reigns
Distmantle The Dictator
Exhumed Identity

The Ocean(partial, last two songs)
?
The Origin Of Species

Dying Fetus(thanks to deathmetaler for giving me the last song which I didn't see and the opener which I didn't recognize)
Praise The Lord(Opium Of The Masses)
Your Treachery Will Die With You
One Shot, One Kill
Shepherd's Commandment
Homicidal Retribution
Grotesque Impalement

3 Inches Of Blood
The Goatrider's Horde
Destroy The Orcs
Lords Of Change
New Song
Deadly Sinners

Skeletonwitch
Blinding Black Rage
Submit To The Suffering
No Rest For The Dead
The Skullsplitter
Crushed Beyond Dust
Infernal Rescurrection(new song)
Sacrifice For The Slaughtergod
Upon Wings Of Black
Beyond The Permafrost
Within My Blood

Times Of Grace
Strength In Numbers
Willing
Hope Remains
Live In Love
Worlds Apart
Fight For Life
In The Arms Of Mercy
The End Of Eternity
Hymn Of A Broken Man
Where The Spirit Leads Me

Born Of Osiris
Open Arms To Damnation
Empires Erased
Recreate
Devastate
Abstract Art
Now Arise
Follow The Signs
Bow Down

Between The Buried and Me
Specular Reflection
Sun Of Nothing
Selkies: The Endless Obsession:rocker::drool::bliss:
Fossil Genera: A Feed From Cloud Mountain:party:
White Walls

Hatebreed(out of order for the most part, might be missing a song or two):
Everyone Bleeds Now
In Ashes They Shall Reap
Perservance
To The Threshold
Smash Your Enemies
Under The Knife
Empty Promises
Destory Everything
This Is Now
Betrayed By Life
Puritain
Doomsayer
Tear It Down
As Diehard As They Come
Last Breath(dedicated to Peter Steele)
Defeatist
Beholder Of Justice
Proven
Before Dishonor
A Call For Blood
Live For This
I Will Be Heard

the deathmetaler
04-17-2011, 10:26 AM
This was honestly the best concert I have ever been to. The only negative was that I wasn't able to catch full sets from a few bands due to set crossovers. The sets on the main stage were pushed back a bit to make up for Darkest Hour's dropoff and 3 Inches Of Blood's set got cut pretty short. They weren't even allowed their alloted 30 minutes, I never got an answer as to why that happened. Sets now, review later.

Hatebreed(out of order for the most part, might be missing a song or two):
Everyone Bleeds Now
In Ashes They Shall Reap
Perservance
To The Threshold
Smash Your Enemies
Under The Knife
Empty Promises
Destory Everything
This Is Now
Betrayed By Life
Burial For The Living
Doomsayer
As Diehard As They Come
Last Breath(dedicated to Peter Steele)
Defeatist
Proven
Before Dishonor
A Call For Blood
Live For This
I Will Be Heard

Hatebreed did not play Burial for the Living. I was there. Everything else is correct. You only forgot to add Beholder of Justice, Puritan, and Tear It Down.

mastodon421
04-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Hatebreed did not play Burial for the Living. I was there. Everything else is correct. You only forgot to add Beholder of Justice, Puritan, and Tear It Down.

Thanks I will edit that. I knew I forgot a couple. I always confuse Burial For The Living for Puritan.

the deathmetaler
04-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks I will edit that. I knew I forgot a couple. I always confuse Burial For The Living for Puritan.

No problem dude. Also, for the Dying Fetus set.....They opened with Praise the Lord (Opium Of The Masses) and they ended with Grotesque Impalement.

electrocute1031
04-17-2011, 11:03 AM
the other Ocean songs i can remember are: (i know there's more i'm just not exactly sure the titles)
Anthropocentric
The Grand Inquisitor I: Karamazov Baseness

LTD Soloist
04-17-2011, 11:19 AM
what about Carnifex and ALOL's sets

jd091
04-17-2011, 11:54 AM
what about Carnifex set

lol wut

mastodon421
04-17-2011, 12:18 PM
what about Carnifex and ALOL's sets

I actually have Carnifex's set because I forced to watch them, but I didn't post it due to how fucking terrible they were. Here it is anyways(songs I was unsure confirmed by the only one of my friends that I went with that is is a fan)
Slit Wrist Savior
In Coalesce With Filth and Faith
Names Mean Nothing
Entombed Monarch
The Diseased and The Poisioned
My Heart In Atrophy
Lie To My Face
Hell Chose Me

Bergman101
04-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I too am curious to see what A Life Once Lost played.

LTD Soloist
04-17-2011, 06:00 PM
lol wut

lol wut hurr durr

shut up

bt11763
04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
how do you not recognize opium of the masses? :lol:

DUHN NUH NUH-NUH NUH NUH-NUH NUHNUHNUH

jd091
04-17-2011, 08:12 PM
lol wut hurr durr

shut up

http://blog.thekollection.com/files/2011/04/trollface.jpg

u mad, bro?

hellawaits77ny
04-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Haha I love the opening of that song!

zerkz
04-17-2011, 08:25 PM
I really hope this means BTBAM will be playing white walls tomorrow, or atleast have the chance of it. I don't really want to hear all of their new EP T_T

mastodon421
04-17-2011, 08:30 PM

lol To be honest, I haven't heard that song that many times and it has been a while since i've heard it.

LTD Soloist
04-17-2011, 10:51 PM
http://blog.thekollection.com/files/2011/04/trollface.jpg

u mad, bro?

so mad bro

hellawaits77ny
04-18-2011, 08:16 AM
I can add a couple setlists. I'll have to wait a little for Biohazard. I filmed them, and my tape got fucked up, so I'm sending it away for repair. Can't remember it completely off the top of my head.

Job For A Cowboy
Unfurling A Darkened Gospel
Constitutional Masturbation
Knee Deep
Signature Of Starving Power - New Song
Ruination
Entombment Of A Machine
Embedded

A couple in the middle might be outta order.

mastodon421
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
If you like to read my unholy long full review here is the link http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/2011/04/concert-review-new-england-metal-and.html Anyways, here is my abridged review.

Structures: A decent deathcore act from Toronto. Nothing groundbreaking, but they were pretty good at what they do especially considering the fact that they are all 18 and 19 years old.

Volumes: Another deathcore act. They had two vocalists, neither were good. A couple of decent progessive sections, but for the most part abundant breakdowns that didn't really go anywhere. Not completely god awful, but pretty forgetable.

The Contortionist: First band I was excited to see on the entire day. They put on a damn fine show. Really talented up and coming band.

Son Of Aurelius: Fucking awesome. They were spot-on live. Their vocalist was a madman and his high-pitched screaming were nuts. He was also insanely energetic and went into the crowd for their last song. I was stoked to seeing Facing The Gorgon in the set. I was unsure if they played it live and it was the highlight of their set. It translated so well live. A criminally underrated band that I hope can get a bigger following

Last Chance To Reason: My top discovery of 2011 so far. Their new record Level 2 is awesome and I highly suggest checking it out. Really solid progessive metal with tinges of metalcore. At times, they really reminded me of Between The Buried and Me. Their vocalist sounded fantastic live, he has one hell of a range. Great show.

Lazarus A.D: really surprised with me how good they were. I haven't seen a straight thrash band in a while. The pits were awesome and I love would to see them again soon.

Cephalic Carnage: Fun as hell as always.

Revocation: First time seeing them and they fucking slayed. David Davidson is one of the best guitarists in metal. Everything solo was perfect live. I really hope they get the opening slot on Summer Slaughter so I can see them again.

The Ocean: Letdown of the day. The screaming and the band sounded fine, the clean vocals were kind of meh in a live environment. Still good, but not quite up to what I was expecting.

Dying Fetus: Brutal as hell. Pretty much brutal death metal bliss. Can't wait to see them again at Summer Slaughter.

3 Inches Of Blood: Despite their set getting cut short, they were awesome. The new songs sounded great, I can't wait to hear their new material. 3rd time seeing them and I am stoked to see them again.

Skeletonwitch: Holy shit. I saw Skeletonwitch at NEMHF last year and they were awesome, they were even better this year. The energy was fucking crazy at the upstairs stage. There was a ton of stage diving (including Gunface from The Red Chord!) Chance was joking around with the crowd and drinking beer the entire time. New song is fantastic, I can't wait to hear the rest of the new record. Crazy,crazy performance.

Carnifex: So fucking terrible. Every song sounded exactly the same. It did give me a chance to clear my text message inbox.

Times Of Grace: Fucking amazing. Jesse Leach sound exactly the same live as he does on record. I am still curious has to how Killswitch would have sounded if he stayed as them. The set was near perfect and I hope they play another show in Massachusetts soon.

Born Of Osiris: I've been waiting a long time to see Born Of Osiris. I love their new record The Discovery and the new guitar player Jason Richardson has enhanced their sound even further. They are an amazing live. Every song sounded better in a live environment. Crazy energy, tight performance and I can't for their tour this summer.

Between The Buried and Me: Best performance I have ever seen from them. I was speechless afterwards. The setlist was perfect. Selkies is the best live song I've ever heard. It's fucking gorgous. With this performance, Between The Buried and Me might have secured sole postion of best live band i've ever seen.

Hatebreed: As usual, awesome performance. Pretty much no puts has much energy into their sets as Hatebreed. Jamey Jasta is a fucking amazing frontman and he was so thankful that people stayed for their set despite it being such a long day. Great end to best show of my life.

Scores
Structures 7/10
Volumes 4/10
The Contoritionist 8/10
Son Of Aurelius 8.5/10
Last Chance To Reason 8.5/10
Lazarus A.D 9/10
Cephalic Carnage 8/10
Revocation 9/10
The Ocean 7.5/10
Dying Fetus 9/10
3 Inches Of Blood 9/10
Skeletonwitch 9.5/10
Carnifex 2/10
Times Of Grace 9.5/10
Born Of Osiris 9/10
Between The Buried and Me 10/10
Hatebreed 9.5/10

hellawaits77ny
04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Cool review Man. Sorry I couldn't meet up w/ ya. We didn't get there till right before DF came on. You are right about Hatebreed. Such a solid show, and Jasta seems like such a great dude.

I know BTBAM are loved here, but fuck, I just can't get into them. Everyone loves those 18 minute songs, I just can't dig it. I will say they are talented musicians, though.

mastodon421
04-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Cool review Man. Sorry I couldn't meet up w/ ya. We didn't get there till right before DF came on. You are right about Hatebreed. Such a solid show, and Jasta seems like such a great dude.

I know BTBAM are loved her, but fuck, I just can't get into them. Everyone loves those 18 minute songs, I just can't dig it. I will say they are talented musicians, though.

Thanks man. BTBAM is definitely a hit or miss band, I can completely see why you don't like them.

jd091
04-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I feel similar to what you do for Born of Osiris. They were incredibly spot on and real good when I saw them open for All That Remains, yet I can't stand them on record. The Discovery is the most boring release of 2011 IMO. I'll still see 'em live whenever I can, though.

pharmD_metalhead
04-18-2011, 08:45 PM
The Contortionist: First band I was excited to see on the entire day. They put on a damn fine show. Really talented up and coming band.

I'm glad to see somebody showing The Contortionist some love. I need to see these guys live.

mastodon421
04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
I feel similar to what you do for Born of Osiris. They were incredibly spot on and real good when I saw them open for All That Remains, yet I can't stand them on record. The Discovery is the most boring release of 2011 IMO. I'll still see 'em live whenever I can, though.

Really? I'm surprised you don't like them. Personally, I think they are the best deathcore band around and I am in love with The Discovery.

jd091
04-19-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm glad to see somebody showing The Contortionist some love. I need to see these guys live.

THIS