Asator
Varyags of Miklagaard
Thousand Years of Oppression
Without Fear > Victorious March > Gods of War Arise > Death in Fire

Encore:
Cry of the Blackbirds
Runes To My Memory
The Pursuit of Vikings

Just absolutely awesome. In terms of performance, this might've been the best metal show I've ever seen. Amon Amarth was spot on, and the crowd was insane. The opening of War Of The Gods (which I also got on tape) was just epic in every sense of the word. The Surtur Rising set was really solid, and that really surprised me. It's definitely a better album than most think. Destroyer Of The Universe and A Beast I Am were real thrashers, but I think my favorite was the closer, Doom Over Dead Men. It's just got that great, mid-tempo melodic death metal beat that just makes for great headbanging.

In between sets, I hooked up with Nick (aka Nick_To_The_Face) and it was awesome that he made it! Lemme know if you can make it to BTBAM ;)

The second set started off great. People went absolute nuts for Twilight Of The Thunder God and so many people were singing along that Johan didn't even sing the chorus. Live For The Kill got a great reaction, Asator was great to hear too. I dug the medley, although I wish they would've made Death In Fire its own song. The only song of the night I didn't like too much was Thousand Years Of Oppression. It was cool near the end, but that song made me feel the fatigue. Encore was just great, and we had a great sing-a-long to Pursuit Of Vikings. It's been a while since Amon Amarth had been in Lawrence, but the sold out crowd at the Granada will hopefully bring them back time and time again.

Oh, and we also sang Happy Birthday to their bassist, Ted. :D

Amon Amarth: 9/10

MPF
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh how I wish I could have went to the MN date on Friday Night. But I do have the audio bootleg of Chicago's show, so that will keep me happy until they announce they are releasing a show for CD/DVD.

Sounds like an incredible night!

combustion07
04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
This show kicked ass on so many levels. I was really impressed with how good Surtur Rising was. The Last Stand of Frej, For Victory or Death, and Doom Over Dead Man all destroyed. Can't wait for the next time they stop by.

OraclesofAgony
04-16-2011, 11:28 PM
That second setlist is fucking awesome and I'm really into the new album. I can't wait for the Easter show at the House of Blues in Hollywood.

jd091
04-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Glad you though it was awesome too! I agreethat it was one of the best metal shows I've seen. The more I reflect on the concert, the more fun I realize I had at it. :horns:

maidenpriest
04-17-2011, 01:24 AM
how much did they do of Without Fear? is it as short as the other songs?

Nick_to_the_face
04-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure they played all of it, cause I looked at the set and Without wasn't part of the medley.

broncoz
04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
So how much of death in fire is being played? is it from the breakdown solo to the end of the song?

MunicipalWasted
04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
This is random, I'm not much of a metalhead anymore but I was there.. pretty cool. They were all chillin' outside around 5 when I picked up tickets. Lol @ the prom busses yelling at the line of scary metal dudes :D

mankvill
04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
So how much of death in fire is being played? is it from the breakdown solo to the end of the song?

It was weird, I felt like they went right into the song by the guitar solo part and then went back and did most of the song.

mankvill
04-17-2011, 07:52 PM
This is random, I'm not much of a metalhead anymore

gtfo n00b!

combustion07
04-17-2011, 08:34 PM
It was weird, I felt like they went right into the song by the guitar solo part and then went back and did most of the song.

Pretty sure that's what they did.

mankvill
04-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Pretty sure that's what they did.

Where were you? In the pit? :D

combustion07
04-17-2011, 09:24 PM
For most of it, I just passed a kidney stone recently though and I got elbowed directly in the kidney so I got out towards the beginning of the second set.

Nick_to_the_face
04-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Where were you? In the pit? :D

I was :D

Too bad you were too scared to go in ;)

MunicipalWasted
04-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I was :D

Too bad you were too scared to go in ;)

Mankvill's a bitch about pits.. Noob :p

Nick_to_the_face
04-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Oooooooooh he called you out :lol:

mankvill
04-18-2011, 12:33 PM

shut up mr. i don't listen to metal anymore! :mad:

combustion07
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I was right by the guy that had cheering tourettes.

Nick_to_the_face
04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
shut up mr. i don't listen to metal anymore! :mad:

Shame..
So whats with the no more metal:confused:

mankvill
04-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Here's Intro + War Of The Gods

in HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2PAc4Qlls

MunicipalWasted
04-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Shame..
So whats with the no more metal:confused:

Growing out of it, you have to dress metal to be metal... I mean fuck, I still love metal it's just nothing I live for anymore. My tastes are pretty varied.

Nick_to_the_face
04-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Growing out of it, you have to dress metal to be metal... I mean fuck, I still love metal it's just nothing I live for anymore. My tastes are pretty varied.

So what are you into now??

mankvill
04-18-2011, 08:56 PM
you have to dress metal to be metal

who the fuck told you that and why the fuck do you still talk to them? :confused:

Nick_to_the_face
04-18-2011, 09:08 PM
who the fuck told you that and why the fuck do you still talk to them? :confused:

You said what I didn't know how to say

christopher
04-18-2011, 09:42 PM

haha you don't have to dress like anything to be anything. You can also listen to a lot of shit without worry. I'm all about power violence, grind and thrash yet I live for my passion of bluegrass. I'll go apeshit at a Phobia show but I'll still think Bill Monroe is god.

Indestructible
04-18-2011, 10:36 PM
All bands should do tours like this.

combustion07
04-19-2011, 05:27 AM

I know plenty of people who are crazy into metal that dress nice and snazzy. Clothing doesn't mean shit.

Epidemic Reign
04-22-2011, 08:41 AM
you have to dress metal to be metal...

OH NO HE DIDN'T

kommie
04-24-2011, 04:18 PM
according to the chicago thread, they also played The Sound of Eight Hooves, did they play it here?

jd091
04-24-2011, 04:56 PM
according to the chicago thread, they also played The Sound of Eight Hooves, did they play it here?

Okay, I made a mistake, they didn't play it the Chicago date. I was a little out of it and thought they did since they paused in the middle of the song before and I thought hey moved onto a new song. I corrected the setlist, look now.

kommie
04-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Okay, I made a mistake, they didn't play it the Chicago date. I was a little out of it and thought they did since they paused in the middle of the song before and I thought hey moved onto a new song. I corrected the setlist, look now.

yea, I saw that but you still have in the review part that they played it, which is what threw me off.