Without Fear ->
Victorious March ->
Gods of War Arise ->
Death in Fire! :rocker:

Encore:
Cry of the Blackbirds
Runes To My Memory
The Pursuit of Vikings :rocker:

Tired as fuck, I think I broke my foot, and HOLY SHIT THE BEST CONCERT I'VE EVER BEEN TO. Review will follow.

BlackmoreOfBowling
04-14-2011, 09:40 PM
I think I broke my foot

For serious? D=

Northern_Shaman
04-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Oh my Gods. That set... Wow.

I really hope they bring this tour to Canada. They seemed to be hinting at doing a separate run just for us in some of the interviews I've read. They always chart higher here anyways, so I'm sure we'll get something nice ;) .

MPF
04-14-2011, 09:49 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

WHY DO I HAVE TO MISS THIS TOMORROW?!?!?!?!?!

broncoz
04-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Holy poop.

So much from With Oden on Our Side yesssss.

Without Fear + Victorious March + probably 4 of the best from Twilight.

I would have loved to see Across the Rainbow Bridge but thats just wishful thinking, I have 0 complaints and cannot see how anyone can complain.

Cannot wait for Philly.

Natrlhi
04-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Killer sets both. Looks like I will probably be making the ridiculous road trip from Pittsburgh to Cleveland and back on May 3, just to see this awesomeness. :fist:

mankvill
04-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Saturday :shred:

maidenpriest
04-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Set 1: 8:00 - 8:55

Masters of War
Live for the Kill
With Oden on Our Side
Thousand Years of Oppression
Without Fear ->
Victorious March ->
Gods of War Arise ->

HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SO EXCITED!!!!! :rocker::party::party::rocker:

Edit: really hoping the song that you didnt know is something off of the Avenger

jd091
04-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Full Review:
Venue: The Bottom Lounge, SOLD OUT SHOW! :rocker:

First of all, if you like metal in any way, shape, or form, you need to see this tour.

You just need to. There's no if, and, or buts about it. Its very rare to get "An Evening With [...]", and it was unlike anything I've witnessed or experienced before. I don't I'll ever see Amon Amarth perform better than they did tonight, with such a diverse set and amazing crowd reaction. You just.... NEED to see it.

I arrived at the venue around 7:30 (doors were at 7 and show at 8), and spent a whole half hour waiting in the merch line to get my shirt! It was packed. For anyone planning on getting merch, they had 4 t-shirts, with one being tour dates on back and Surtur Rising cover on front ($25), 1 sweatshirt ($40), giant Surtur Rising flags (!) ($15)... and thats it. No CD's or anything for sale, or beanies or stickers or anything. Kind of a shame.

It felt SOOO good to walk in and be surrounded by pure metalheads wearing Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, and Deicide shirts. The last 4 shows I've been to have been -core related, and I forgot how much I love not dealing with fucktarded kids at shows. Show was 17+, and I think I might have been the youngest person there at 20. Crowd was awesome. There was this fat lady drinking beer out of a giant horn, which was metal, and a guy WHO LOOKED JUST LIKE SCOTT IAN of Anthrax. I was seriously considering for a good 5 minutes if it actually was Scott, and if I should have asked him.

Then Amon Amarth took the stage, blasting straight into War of the Gods. I've been liking Surtur Rising on record, but not loving it to the extent of their previous records, especially WOOoS. But live, it sounded amazing. The Last Stand of Frej is just so goddamn epic, and I loved it even more live. My highlight of the set was when Johan Hegg introduced "A Beast I Am", saying, "I want the biggest fucking mosh pit you guys have ever done! This song is about the FENRIS WOLF!", and we consequently went insane.

During the first couple songs, I got my toe jacked hardcore, and could barely put pressure on it. It really sucked, and I had to try and take breaks from the pit out of sheer pain. Eventually, the adrenaline kicked in and I couldn't really feel it, but afterwards it has been killing me. Its swelling up huge, and I'm icing it, but I can move it a bit, so I don't think its broken. Sucks, but it was totally worth it. If anything, it was my fault since I wore shitty flimsy shoes. Should wear hiking boots or something next time.

They took about a 25 minute break, then came back on, with an epic intro into Twilight of the Thunder God. And now is when the actual concert started. There was no doubt. Surtur Rising was basically just Amon Amarth opening up for Amon Amarth- there was no comparison in the intensity and participation of the crowd between the sets. Everyone was screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs, Johann didn't even need to sing the refrain. From then on, we got a crushing set filled with songs from everywhere. It could not have been more perfect for me. During "Varyags", eveyone in the pit formed a huge circle huddle, and headbanged in unison. It was so amazing.

It was hilarious when Johann introduced Asator. (In heavy swedish accent) "So I don't know if you people go to the movies... but theres this one movie coming out. Its called Thor. But you know what? That movie sucks. It isn't really Thor. Oh no. You know, really, his name isn't even Thor. We know him as... ASATOOOOOOR!" And eveyone proceeded to kill each other. I love that song so much. With Oden on Our Side is by far my favorite album by them, and all the tracks they played from it made me so goddamn happy inside.

Johan said that they haven't played Without Fear in years and years live, which proceeded to them playing an epic, almost 1 song without stopping, of Without Fear->Victorious March->Gods of War Arise->Death in Fire. I love Victorious March so much, and actually getting to hear it live was amazing.

Of course, the encore was brutal, and had the most intense pits of the night. Everyone were screaming out all the lyrics to all 3 songs, Johan barely needed to scream himself. The crowd went insane for Pursuit of Vikings, and everyone started to crowdsurf! I personally crowdsurfed, like, 3 times. It was awesome. For Pursuit, they extended the song near the end, with just the drums playing, and Johan conducting everyone in the crowd screaming out over and over, "ODEN! GUIDE OUR SHIPS! OUR AXES SPEARS AND SWORDS! GUIDE US THROUGH THE STORMS THAT WHIP, AND IN BRUTAL WAAAAR!"

Overall, I have never been at a metal show where the crowd has been that passionate about the band they're seeing. It was unlike anything I've seen before. It was definitely the hardest and longest I've ever headbanged at a show. There's something about their music which is just the perfect tempo for headbanging. Johan even told everyone that this is the greatest show he's done in Chicago, and one of the best shows he's ever done in the United States as a whole. There was just a point where he was standing there, trying to talk, but couldn't, because everyone was just screaming, and throwing up horns. Incredible. I'm going to have a hard time topping this show for a long time to come. Everyone on this forum NEEDS to see this concert. Any words I say just can't do it justice. This IS the definite Amon Amarth tour. I can't imagine them ever doing something this epic again, at least not for many more years. You. Need. To. See. This. Tour.

:drool:

jd091
04-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Here's the first video up from from the show, of Victorious March :horns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNaNCZAIy7I

These videos for Pursuit of Vikings are gonna be insane. I'll post the links when I find them.

maidenpriest
04-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Awesome review man!! I'm so stoked! and YES!! THE SOUND OF EIGHT HOOVES!!! :D!!

Dominicus 1988
04-15-2011, 01:08 AM
FUUUUUUUUCK THIS SHOW IS GOING TO BE FUCKING AMAZING!! Watching it the day after the Big 4 too! :party:

kommie
04-15-2011, 03:13 AM
I might show up late to this, but that second set, so fucking awesome.

petrovar
04-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Holy shit! Gods of War Arise?!!?!?!!? :eek:

We'll see how it shapes up during the next few shows, but I REEEEEEEEALLY hope that set stays put

petrovar
04-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Johan said that they haven't played Without Fear in years and years live, which proceeded to them playing an epic, almost 1 song without stopping, of Without Fear->Victorious March->Gods of War Arise->Death in Fire.

So did they actually play all 4 full songs through non stop? Or did they skim on some of them to make an old fashioned medley?

Gods of War Arise is my favorite song and I don't want to be disappointed watching it if they only play some of the song

Derelict
04-15-2011, 05:18 AM
This is gonna be fuckin awesome

JuuKun
04-15-2011, 05:23 AM
There's really only a couple of songs in the second set that I haven't seen that I would like to. I expected that set to have a few more older songs than it does. It's not a bad set by any means, but with other shows coming up that I'd rather use the money for, I'm not entirely sure if I'll be going to the Boston date.

girnny777
04-15-2011, 05:49 AM
There's really only a couple of songs in the second set that I haven't seen that I would like to. I expected that set to have a few more older songs than it does. It's not a bad set by any means, but with other shows coming up that I'd rather use the money for, I'm not entirely sure if I'll be going to the Boston date.

I agree. Come on, they can't do ONE from The Avenger?

slapguitarer
04-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Holy shit this set is awesome. Dat encore :drool:

But I was hoping for Fate of Norns :bouville:

bt11763
04-15-2011, 06:46 AM
i got chills reading that. definitely going to buy tickets as soon as possible.

llama lom
04-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Set 1: 8:00 - 8:55

War of the Gods
Töck's Taunt - Loke's Treachery Part II
Destroyer of the Universe :rocker:
Slaves of Fear
Live Without Regrets
The Last Stand of Frej :drool:
For Victory or Death
Wrath of the Norsemen
A Beast I Am :rocker:
Doom Over Dead Man

Set 2: 9:15-10:30

Twilight of the Thunder God
Masters of War
Sound of Eight Hooves *fixed*
Live for the Kill
With Oden on Our Side
Guardians of Asgaard
Asator :rocker:
Varyags of Miklagaard
Thousand Years of Oppression
Without Fear ->
Victorious March ->
Gods of War Arise ->

Encore:
Cry of the Blackbirds
Runes To My Memory
The Pursuit of Vikings :rocker:

Tired as fuck, I think I broke my foot, and HOLY SHIT THE BEST CONCERT I'VE EVER BEEN TO. Review will follow.

Dude the medley was the most awesome thing I've heard them do live. The funniest part of the whole night was when Johan said during the Pursuit of Vikings, “I want you all to sing along, and it doesn’t matter if you don’t know the lyrics, because it’s death metal and nobody gives a fuck anyways.” I agree that even if you're not that into Amon Amarth, you NEED to go to this tour. It will probably never happen again and it is absolutely worth it.

And I think I may have been next to you on the train after the show.

kommie
04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Dude the medley was the most awesome thing I've heard them do live. The funniest part of the whole night was when Johan said during the Pursuit of Vikings, “I want you all to sing along, and it doesn’t matter if you don’t know the lyrics, because it’s death metal and nobody gives a fuck anyways.” I agree that even if you're not that into Amon Amarth, you NEED to go to this tour. It will probably never happen again and it is absolutely worth it.

he said this the last time I saw em

larvtard
04-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Damn nice review man. My brother wants to go to this but I'm not a fan of Amon Amarth...should I still go anyway?

DementedX14
04-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Damn nice review man. My brother wants to go to this but I'm not a fan of Amon Amarth...should I still go anyway?

You should go. It was fucking EPIC!!!!!!:rocker:

pharmD_metalhead
04-15-2011, 09:16 AM
damn...I really wish I could go to this :(

zerkz
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
I will be heading to the Cleveland date from Indiana (near pittsburgh) during finals week. I have to see this. Without Fear live will be amazing.

Northern_Shaman
04-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Yes. Several people I know have been talked into seeing them live before and not one has ever regretted it.

I've seen Amon Amarth headlining 3 times now, and still REALLY fucking hope that this tour comes to Canada. I've been dying to hear 'Gods of War Arise' at least once, and also 'With Oden On Our Side' again (which I saw them play in '07 on their first headlining tour). Masters of War would be incredible as well!

Jealous. As. Fuck.

jd091
04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
So did they actually play all 4 full songs through non stop? Or did they skim on some of them to make an old fashioned medley?

Gods of War Arise is my favorite song and I don't want to be disappointed watching it if they only play some of the song

You know, looking back, it was a medley. I'm almost 100% sure they played all of Without Fear and Death in Fire, but only some of the others were spliced in. It was awesome though; I was like, "Holy shit they're in this song! *mosh* Holy shit now they're in THIS song! *mosh*", etc.

Really? Were you on the red line or green line? I was the skinny guy, short hair, wearing the tour shirt from the show. Really descriptive, I know. :lol: We should try and say hi or something in a show in the future.

I agree with what everybody has been saying, GO TO THE SHOW. Did you not read my review? If you like metal in any way, shape or form, see this! You won't regret it!

llama lom
04-15-2011, 10:41 AM
I was on both, wearing a Northwestern hoodie. I saw you limping and wanted to see if everything was alright but I was kind of shy lol

Nick_to_the_face
04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
FUUUUUUUUUUUU

WHY CAN'T I GET A RIDE :bouville::bouville::bouville:

llama lom
04-15-2011, 10:54 AM
The medley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNaNCZAIy7I

petrovar
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
You know, looking back, it was a medley. I'm almost 100% sure they played all of Without Fear and Death in Fire, but only some of the others were spliced in. It was awesome though; I was like, "Holy shit they're in this song! *mosh* Holy shit now they're in THIS song! *mosh*", etc.

OK, thanks! As much as I'd like to hear Gods of War Arise completely, the medley does sound sweet. I'm just glad I know ahead of time.

HugeRockStar
04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
That second set is great

larvtard
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
I agree with what everybody has been saying, GO TO THE SHOW. Did you not read my review? If you like metal in any way, shape or form, see this! You won't regret it!

I read it bro, I just wasn't sure if non-AA fans were included inn your description.

Atlanta crowds suck though, so I'm probably not gonna have as good of an experience as you. Regardless, I'm probably gonna go now. You guys owe me 20 bucks if it sucks though ;)

jd091
04-15-2011, 11:55 AM
I was on both, wearing a Northwestern hoodie. I saw you limping and wanted to see if everything was alright but I was kind of shy lol

Oh yeah, I did see you! Haha yeah that was me limping. Everything is fine now man, the foot feels a lot better today. Totally worth all the pain; that concert was amazing.

masterguy49
04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
...I CAN NOT MISS THIS.

Butcher of Birth
04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
so.fucking.happy.doing.two.shows!!!!

THIS IS AMAZING~!!!!! FUCK YES!!!@

R1CHy1286
04-15-2011, 02:50 PM
FUUUUUUUUCK THIS SHOW IS GOING TO BE FUCKING AMAZING!! Watching it the day after the Big 4 too! :party:

Same here...Big 4 on Saturday 4/23 + Amon Amarth on Sunday 4/24=Best weekend ever:rocker: ....CHEERS!!!!:cool:

GarageMetal468
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
ugh I wish I knew I would be able to go to this earlier, then I could've gotten my ticket before it sold out... Ah well, it sounded like an incredible time, glad to know that Chicago can be one hell of a crowd. And jd, if you do end up going to that BTBAM show in Joliet then let me know, it gives me a reason to go haha

NecroRob
04-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Never been a huge Amon Amarth fan, so I was kinda on the fence as to whether I would go to this or not...I'm almost certain I'll be going now :D

jd091
04-15-2011, 04:46 PM
ugh I wish I knew I would be able to go to this earlier, then I could've gotten my ticket before it sold out... Ah well, it sounded like an incredible time, glad to know that Chicago can be one hell of a crowd. And jd, if you do end up going to that BTBAM show in Joliet then let me know, it gives me a reason to go haha

Y'know, I totally will go to the show if I can figure out how to use the Metra. Have you ever taken it before? Will it still be running, or avaliable for me to return to the city after the show?

kommie
04-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Y'know, I totally will go to the show if I can figure out how to use the Metra. Have you ever taken it before? Will it still be running, or avaliable for me to return to the city after the show?

You should definitely look into it, I used to never wanna go to NYC cause I would never drive there, but once I figured out how to take the train I more or less go to anything worth it now.

jd091
04-15-2011, 04:58 PM
You should definitely look into it, I used to never wanna go to NYC cause I would never drive there, but once I figured out how to take the train I more or less go to anything worth it now.

Its kind of like the opposite situation for me. :lol: I live in the city, and don't have access to a car to get out to the suburbs, where the BTBAM show is.

maidenpriest
04-15-2011, 05:02 PM
not trying to nitpick but im kinda disappoitned thats a medley since those 3 are all some of my favorite AA songs and i'd like to hear them complete live. but whatever

jd091
04-15-2011, 07:49 PM
not trying to nitpick but im kinda disappoitned thats a medley since those 3 are all some of my favorite AA songs and i'd like to hear them complete live. but whatever

I mean, it was still really cool, and awesome fan service to play a medley like that. I assume they're gonna play that medley every night of the tour, so expect it. I feel ya though, it would have been better to hear the whole songs.

Oh, and GarageMetal, I'm definitely not gonna be able to make it to the BTBAM show, since I'll be out of town visiting family. Sorry.

combustion07
04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Really hope they throw some more Fate of Norns into tomorrows set. But either way, I'm not complaining! This show is going to slay.

daimonos
04-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Holy shit, I have to go to this.

I was in Chicago today, actually. If only I could've went a day earlier...

GarageMetal468
04-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I mean, it was still really cool, and awesome fan service to play a medley like that. I assume they're gonna play that medley every night of the tour, so expect it. I feel ya though, it would have been better to hear the whole songs.

Oh, and GarageMetal, I'm definitely not gonna be able to make it to the BTBAM show, since I'll be out of town visiting family. Sorry.

Ah alright then. And the metra's not hard to get around, just the times the train runs are a pain in the ass sometimes. Like when a House of Blues show ends at 9:30 and I get back to Union at 9:50 and the next train isn't for another hour... But I'm still considering going after seeing the setlist someone posted just now. Sun of Nothing, Ants of the Sky and Selkies are some of my favorites, so it's a possibility...

jd091
04-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Really hope they throw some more Fate of Norns into tomorrows set. But either way, I'm not complaining! This show is going to slay.

That's true. I can't complain, since I love all of their albums, but it would have been nice to see some more off Fate. It's hard to say what I would have wanted to be dropped from the set for that to happen... since every song was pretty much perfect live :rocker:

666ways2love
04-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Wondering if because its only AA, do they have props on their stage similar to the DVD?

MPF
04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm pretty happy now that I didn't go tonight in St. Paul.

1.) Apparently is sold out weeks ago.
2.) At 11pm tonight (central time) we started getting a major snowstorm! It's fucking mid April, why are we getting snow?

I pray to Valhalla that they will make a DVD of this tour!

jd091
04-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Wondering if because its only AA, do they have props on their stage similar to the DVD?

Naw, there was just a big banner of Surtur in the back, and a couple smoke machines. No Viking ships :(

MPF
04-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Audio bootleg of the show:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=353341

666ways2love
04-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Naw, there was just a big banner of Surtur in the back, and a couple smoke machines. No Viking ships :(

that's slightly disappointing. o well, it's all about the music

smokebeer420
04-23-2011, 10:07 AM
To the op what time did the doors open for your venue,I wanna know cause im going tonight but i have work till 830ish and the doors open at 7 and it says the show starts at 730 and if any one has been to the ace of spades in sacramento do the band ever go on stage on time?Any help would be nice

jd091
04-23-2011, 10:23 AM
To the op what time did the doors open for your venue,I wanna know cause im going tonight but i have work till 830ish and the doors open at 7 and it says the show starts at 730 and if any one has been to the ace of spades in sacramento do the band ever go on stage on time?Any help would be nice

Doors opened at 7:00, show started at 8:00. I arrived at the venue around 7:25, got in around 7:30, waited in line for merch from 7:30 to 7:55 (sold out show), and show started promptly at 8.

I don't know how it is there, but all Chicago shows are exactly on time. You're gonna miss a ton if you're not there when it starts...

smokebeer420
04-23-2011, 10:32 AM
its says they go on at 730 but i have a hard time believing a band like amon amarth is gonna go on at 730 till 825(give or take a few) then going back on at 855 (give or take a few) till 10 specially being on a sat.To me 10 is way to early to end a show on the weekend

smokebeer420
04-23-2011, 10:35 AM
also you siad the your show ended at 1030 did that inlcude the encore or just the end of the second set?

jd091
04-23-2011, 12:05 PM
also you siad the your show ended at 1030 did that inlcude the encore or just the end of the second set?

Included the encore. I logged in the time when they left the stage. To be honest, if you're an hour late, you might miss the first set but you could catch the second set. That second set was well worth the $25 I spent, just make sure your show isn't sold out since the Chicago date sold out a week in advance.

smokebeer420
04-23-2011, 12:19 PM
i already got my ticket and it was only 20 but if it starts at 8 which i hope it does i should be catching the last 2-3 songs of set 1