PDA

View Full Version : Explosions in the Sky -- Pittsburgh, PA -- April 8th, 2011

moobys37
04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
My first and hopefully last time at Stage AE. Explosions was absolutely incredible. The new songs sounded great live and hearing a lot from All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone was a great treat. I missed the opening band unfortunately but from the reaction they got as I walked in made it seem like people liked them. Explosions played:

The Only Moment We Were Alone
Welcome, Ghosts
Your Hand in Mine
Last Known Surroundings
The Birth and Death of the Day
Let Me Back In
Catastrophe and the Cure
Postcard from 1952
Greet Death

Stage AE may be the worst venue I've ever seen a show at. There were so many advertisements it really makes you wonder why tickets for every show down there are so expensive compared to shows in other cities. The sound on the louder parts got completely lost in a room with a sound system that felt too small for the venue. I barely heard any drums even though they seemed mixed correctly.

The crowd may have been the worst I've ever encountered at a show in my life. More people were wearing suits than t-shirts. I counted 3 total band shirts: my girlfriends Yakuza T, my Worm Ouroboros shirt, and Mogwai shirt. This hipster movement is getting out of control. I hope we're getting close to the point were bands or venues will start banning people from filming from right in front. I can't tell you how fucking annoying it was to have a good line of sight completely ruined by some hipster asshole holding his phone above his head, then take a picture with the goddamn flash on.

So, Explosions gets an A+ for delivering a fantastic show despite muddy sound and a crowd that would not stop talking. When I saw Godspeed a few weeks ago the crowd was completely silent eved through the quick 30 second breaks and had a lot of movement during the songs. Last night, the crowd was so loud you could hear them over many of the songs. Stage AE gets an F for their terrible sound, overpriced tickets, corporate feel, and lack of the ability to use the balcony. Pittsburgh/Cleveland people, avoid this place like the plague.

idrinkwine732
04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Did they have merch?

daimonos
04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I was wondering about the new venue, and honestly I'm not suprised. Ya gotta remember that the AE does stand for American goddamned Eagle.

But I guess it's a catch 22 in some ways, because it'll definitely bring more shows to Pittsburgh, it's just shitty that the venue sucks.

moobys37
04-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Did they have merch?

Yes, shirts and vinyl for 15 bucks. I got a blue shirt with a lighthouse on it and it's so comfortable.

moobys37
04-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I was wondering about the new venue, and honestly I'm not suprised. Ya gotta remember that the AE does stand for American goddamned Eagle.

But I guess it's a catch 22 in some ways, because it'll definitely bring more shows to Pittsburgh, it's just shitty that the venue sucks.

They don't let you forget it either. There's so much American Eagle advertising throughout the place it's sickening. I don't know whether or not it'll bring a lot more shows here that we would go to. A lot of the shows they're booking for the summer probably could have happened at the Pavilion too.

ShatteredFlame
04-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Wow, I was actually surprised by the crowd at my show. Even at a seated venue people were still rocking out (Same with Godspeed also). But I do highly support banning people from bringing cameras, man that shit is annoying.

stylesclash516
04-09-2011, 02:50 PM
That sucks about Stage AE because I have tickets for 3 upcoming shows there (2 are outside so it might be different). The one inside is Danzig and I was hoping I could go up to the balcony for them, was the balcony open at the show last night? Also, normally security stops people from filming like those hipsters were. There must not have been a whole lot of security then. :eyes:

bobbie solo
04-09-2011, 03:21 PM
people cant wear suits to shows? maybe they came after work? Explosions doesnt exactly appeal to teenagers. Theyve been around for a minute and have alot of older fans.

moobys37
04-09-2011, 06:33 PM
people cant wear suits to shows? maybe they came after work? Explosions doesnt exactly appeal to teenagers. Theyve been around for a minute and have alot of older fans.

Tell that to the 85% of the audience under 21. I have no problem with someone wearing a suit to a show most of the time, but I do have a problem when it's a 16 year old with this kind of hair:

http://www.emohaircutstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/blue-emo-hair-330x417.jpg

bobbie solo
04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
hahaha thats very different. i used to be really into techno and the rave scene (still enoy the music) but u didnt see me dressing like that to metal shows at the same time.

illuminatus917
04-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Metrosexuals piss me off.

RAZOR
04-09-2011, 09:01 PM
That...makes me sad that the new venue isn't great. :snivel: